Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Some guide at their forums posted:

Fishing is brand new, and I already see people having problems. This guide will explain fishing from a starting standpoint, covering the basics. It will not be a complete guide that gives everything away.

To fish, you need a rod, and a bait. Bait comes from 2 places, the Angler NPC, and critters like worms and fireflies. Rods are found in a number of ways, but you can craft the first few from iron and demonite/crimtane.

Fishing works on a Fishing Skill stat. This is the combined value of your rod and bait power, which is then modified by a number of things like accessories, potions, biome, time of day, moon phase, and whether or not it is raining. For best results, a rainy dusk or dawn gets the best results, while a dry noon and midnight is worst. Full moon IIRC gets the best boost too.

You can catch a number of things and it varies by biome, though you can find crates anywhere. There are three types, and they all unbox various rewards, some unique just to them. Crates are uncommon catches, and higher fishing skill increases the rarity of the crate and thus, better rewards.

The Angler sends you on quests to find special fish. These fish are marked as Quest Item and can only be found when he asks for them. For instance, you will never find a bat fish unless your day's quest is to find one, where you can go get it and bring it back. The anglar offers better rewards with the more quests you do.

Fishing skill also suffers a massive penalty of your lake is too small. 300 blocks of water is needed for maximum effect. You may need to use buckets or pumps to make your fishing ponds bigger in the various biomes.

Also, bait may or may not be consumed when you fish. Again, it's dependant on fishing skill. Higher the better.

Now, go discover what you can catch, and happy fishing!

Hope it helps.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/the-beginners-guide-to-fishing.143559/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Might someone be able to help me figure out TSGE? I did everything legit up to the Halloween and Christmas events but for some reason thought my saves were backed up on the Steam cloud and so I didn't transfer them when I formatted and the idea of redoing all of that to see the new stuff sounds about as fun as castrating myself with a spoon.

So it says I need .NET framework, but when I try to install it it says I already have it or a higher version installed, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer and the TSGE file tells me I need to get a program to open it.

I'm sure I'm just missing something totally obvious, but could someone maybe point me in the right direction? Googling is just saying "open it with .NET" and not explaining if you have difficulty with that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

That sounds like a real gently caress you to small worlds unless you really like huge pump systems.
It's not as bad as it sounds. a 15x20 pond isn't as huge as you might think, and in almost any biome it's possible to just drain down towards one, including surface-type biomes if you're lucky. The only real guaranteed problem is making a sky pond.

This is even a little bigger than you need, really.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
You can dupe unlimited water effortlessly with a bucket and two blocks. Just put them side by side and pour/collect water with the bucket rapidly. Overflow will fall off the side and you'll get a full bucket each time.

Works with lava too

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's how I get my pump-powered reservoirs started, yeah. A lot of clicking, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugh, I think I just remembered why I quit playing last time. Nothing about Plantera is fun (looking for the bulb, the chase, the eternity spent shooting) and EVERYTHING I used in 1.2 is now gated behind that piece of poo poo. And that effectively gates the new stuff, too. Bonus points for fishing being a 13 hour grind at the very least if you want the best rod and bait, which you need to get the few fish that actually amount to anything in the endgame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 10, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

fishing being a 13 hour grind at the very least if you want the best rod and bait
Say what?
You can get all the baits, including the best ones, from biomes that should already exist in hardmode. All you need to do is grab a fish once a day while you play other stuff and turn it in. There's nothing you should ever have to really grind. At least not as far as the quests go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure you only get master baits from quests, and you have to do 50 quests to get the top rod, 25+ for second best.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, but it's limited to one quest a day, so it's really just a side activity if anything. You can't just grind quests, you have to intersperse your regular activities with them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure you only get master baits from quests, and you have to do 50 quests to get the top rod, 25+ for second best.

Master Bait is only 50% right? There's a 50% butterfly you can get in normal mode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So the only way I can think of doing vertical (or better than 45° at least) hills with minecart tracks is to do a drop without track for going down and then do rapid switchbacks with reverse bumpers for going up. Any way to have the track go both ways?

Read posted:

Master Bait

:mmmhmm:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Ugh, I think I just remembered why I quit playing last time. Nothing about Plantera is fun (looking for the bulb, the chase, the eternity spent shooting) and EVERYTHING I used in 1.2 is now gated behind that piece of poo poo. And that effectively gates the new stuff, too. Bonus points for fishing being a 13 hour grind at the very least if you want the best rod and bait, which you need to get the few fish that actually amount to anything in the endgame.

Really, with the rod that sells the mechanic or the travelling merchant, you're perfect. And fishing is more of a side quest nothing really essential.

And the smart cursor is a gift from god, digging hellevators or sideways is now so easy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I played this a little bit when 1.2 first dropped, if I want to get back into it now I'd be better off just rolling a new world and/or character, right?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

benzine posted:

Really, with the rod that sells the mechanic or the travelling merchant, you're perfect. And fishing is more of a side quest nothing really essential.

And the smart cursor is a gift from god, digging hellevators or sideways is now so easy.

My mechanic doesn't sell a fishing pole. :shrug:

fake edit: Turns out the fishtank I built forever ago on top of my house is technically in the sky. So glad I don't have to put a lake in a floating island.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

My mechanic doesn't sell a fishing pole. :shrug:

According to the wiki it is during new moon, I just got lucky I guess.

C-Euro posted:

I played this a little bit when 1.2 first dropped, if I want to get back into it now I'd be better off just rolling a new world and/or character, right?

There are things that need a new world gen, but you can use an old world if you wish.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

benzine posted:

The smart cursor will dig sideways fine for me but not hellevators :(

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Read posted:

The smart cursor will dig sideways fine for me but not hellevators :(

Aim lower.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Fishing is a great new mechanic simply because it's allowed so many cool new potions - added with a new mechanic instead of even MORE drops and herbs

But I agree the pond size requirement's annoying.
You're going to want at least one sky fishing hole, not only for quests but because the "low encounter rate" potion requires a sky fish. Which means you'll want to grab some BEFORE hard mode, otherwise if you don't have them you're going to be attacked by loving wyverns while just fishing, not to mention pumping/bucket dumping.

Also irritating is getting the crisp honey for the fishing potion... maybe it's just my world but I had a hard time finding a solitary hive this time around. Using the starfury helped, it let's you kind of see through walls (the only way to now that spelunker potions don't make light)

I've never really gotten the appeal of pumping though.
If you're pumping two close together things you might as well either dig a canal (since you'll have to do something like that anyway to lay pipe) or use buckets if it's a short trip. And if they're far apart, making the pump stations going to be a lot of work anyway.... to fill up the sky fishing hole is going to take several surface lakes anyway, at least if I make multiple trips using thirty+ buckets I can multitask and have that as a secondary objective while out looting and polluting, instead of working for a long time on a pump I'm only going to use once...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rita Repulsa posted:

If you're pumping two close together things you might as well either dig a canal (since you'll have to do something like that anyway to lay pipe) or use buckets if it's a short trip. And if they're far apart, making the pump stations going to be a lot of work anyway.... to fill up the sky fishing hole is going to take several surface lakes anyway, at least if I make multiple trips using thirty+ buckets I can multitask and have that as a secondary objective while out looting and polluting, instead of working for a long time on a pump I'm only going to use once...
Because you're using them wrong.

If you want to make a pool of something where it isn't, you need a bucket of it and two pumps. pour it over a block to get enough to cover the bottom pump a decent bit (you may want to make a recess in the floor of the pool to make this easier), then connect the two pumps to a timer and let the fact that slightly more comes out of the output pump than goes in the input fill it for you.

You may need to stop and let it settle periodically for particularly thick liquids like honey. Put pipes in the bottom to connect your honey/water/lava reservoirs and generate all the obsidian, honey blocks, and crisp honey you can eat. (You may want to bring a fast, lower powered pick and make the junction areas out of something it can't mine so you don't accidentally dump lava on yourself.)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rita Repulsa posted:

Pumps can go against the flow of gravity, and since they use wires (not pipes) they can pump through solid objects. Most importantly, because of slight inaccuracies in the way the game handles liquids, you can increase the amount of liquid without adding more using certain tricks. The increase is fairly minor, but by doing it repeatedly (say, by pumping the duped water back to the starting point) you can easily turn a few buckets into a lake. I've got a whole liquid duplication system set up to my home base, complete with storage tanks, output tanks, and a draining system that empties into the nearby hellevator.

My biggest problem with fishing is finding bait. Critters seem to be a lot less common than they were a version or two ago.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zereth posted:

(You may want to bring a fast, lower powered pick and make the junction areas out of something it can't mine so you don't accidentally dump lava on yourself.)
It's been a while since I played but I used glass blocks for this since picks don't break them easily.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fishron is laughably easy with wings and a ranged weapon provided you're good at kiting in the air. The flail he drops is overpowered as gently caress for how easy he is and it costs like 9 silver to reforge :iiam:.

The summoning staff he drops is great too, as are his wings (best in the game).

With the flail I can kill Plantera in 20s~, probably less but I'm estimating.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Best way to get bait in bulk is to make a new world and take a hike to the oceans smashing any rocks you see for worms.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devour or Fire posted:

Best way to get bait in bulk is to make a new world and take a hike to the oceans smashing any rocks you see for worms.
The best way to get bait is to wait for it to rain, stick a water candle down in your base, hold one in your hand, and drink a battle potion. It'll severely up the mob spawn rate, and during a rain near your base, the only mobs that can spawn will be bunnies and worms, so you'll be swimming in the drat things.
Also, leave the candle at your base for free butterflies and fireflies basically any time you stop off at home.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

It's been a while since I played but I used glass blocks for this since picks don't break them easily.
Once you're into high end hardmode picks they break if you look at them funny. I think I use a crimson pick for this since it swings really fast and is strong enough to mine obsidian fast and the honeys instantly.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vib Rib posted:

The best way to get bait is to wait for it to rain, stick a water candle down in your base, hold one in your hand, and drink a battle potion. It'll severely up the mob spawn rate, and during a rain near your base, the only mobs that can spawn will be bunnies and worms, so you'll be swimming in the drat things.
Also, leave the candle at your base for free butterflies and fireflies basically any time you stop off at home.

This doesn't work for me because my base is an orbital Fleshstation built in the low-gravity layer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Here's my liquid duplicator/combiner on one of my worlds.

The big switches on the right half do one pump for whatever liquid is underneath. On the left, the 3 chambers are for combining the liquids. The light switches next to each square of liquid do one pump of that liquid taken from the dupe stations on the right.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've been doing fishing quests over multiple worlds (for reasons) and the angler gives you rewards based on how many quests you've done per character, not per world/angler.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Does anyone know if it's possible to catch multiples of the quest fish? Or does only one appear per quest.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to catch multiples of the quest fish? Or does only one appear per quest.

I think it's only one per quest, seeing as you only need the one and you can only catch quest fish when there's an active quest for them. I could be wrong.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The combination of smart cursor, mining potion, and shroomite digging claw is hilarious.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Akett posted:

I think it's only one per quest, seeing as you only need the one and you can only catch quest fish when there's an active quest for them. I could be wrong.

I know you can only catch the quest ones when you have the active quest. I would believe that you could only catch one. I wonder if you could offload it to another character if it would let you catch another? What if you accidentally trash it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know, at least, that you can catch the fish and keep it if you don't turn it in. I caught a dynamite fish by chance before I understood how quests (or fishing) worked and just shoved it in a chest. Eventually he asked for it as the daily quest and I just retrieved it and handed it in.
There's no reason to ever do that though, and since you can only turn in one quest a day you might as well turn it in as soon as you catch it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I know, at least, that you can catch the fish and keep it if you don't turn it in. I caught a dynamite fish by chance before I understood how quests (or fishing) worked and just shoved it in a chest. Eventually he asked for it as the daily quest and I just retrieved it and handed it in.
There's no reason to ever do that though, and since you can only turn in one quest a day you might as well turn it in as soon as you catch it.

One use would be going through with multiple characters, then stashing those fish away so you can get one character to 50 quicker.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Senor Candle posted:

One use would be going through with multiple characters, then stashing those fish away so you can get one character to 50 quicker.

The angler only accepts one fish per character a day though. There's so many different types of quest fish that even if you stocked up on 10 using different characters, you could be waiting a lot longer than 10 days to hand them all in.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can get more quests by making new worlds and flying to the edges to find the Angler quickly.

Read fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 15, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

The angler only accepts one fish per character a day though. There's so many different types of quest fish that even if you stocked up on 10 using different characters, you could be waiting a lot longer than 10 days to hand them all in.

If you aren't on a MP server you still have to wait for that day to run out. Just something to burn time

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Boy, these hardmode bosses might be some of the most unfun slogs I've ever played. I got within a few hundred health of killing the twins but died. :negative: It wouldn't be so absolutely terrible if it wasn't for the fact that other than some hilariously rare summoning items, they just seem to appear only whenever they feel like it.

Edit: Ah, so you can. I think I somehow misread "Souls of Light" as "Souls of Sight" on the wiki. Back to the lovely slog.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gobblecoque posted:

Boy, these hardmode bosses might be some of the most unfun slogs I've ever played. I got within a few hundred health of killing the twins but died. :negative: It wouldn't be so absolutely terrible if it wasn't for the fact that other than some hilariously rare summoning items, they just seem to appear only whenever they feel like it.

You can craft the summoning items though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

kazil posted:

You can craft the summoning items though.

Speaking of summoning items I really like the new summoning staffs that've been added. Since all Hardmode bosses place extremely high emphasis on constantly zipping around at top speed to dodge a bazillion lasers it makes fights a LOT more manageable when you're able to focus solely on dodging while your cloud of laser death murders the hell out of whatever's around*.

*But not the Golem. I literally cannot move fast enough to dodge its laser fire. I don't know how you're supposed to kill that loving thing without either tanking or cheesing it. And I'm not even going to mention the Pumpkin or Frost Moons.

• Locked thread