Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

maduin posted:

The only hesitation I have with Goodreader is that it took them over a year to update the last version--I don't know if I trust them to update the new one regularly.

LOL. You don't update for the sake of updating.
Surely you only update when you CAN add new features or you're fixing bugs.
Did it stop working for you in that year? It didn't for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't good reader break for a long time until they updated for ios7?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah it crashed constantly for a good four months.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

caboodle posted:

LOL. You don't update for the sake of updating.
Surely you only update when you CAN add new features or you're fixing bugs.
Did it stop working for you in that year? It didn't for me.

Uh, it was a horrible, broken mess for months.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I still ended up buying Goodreader for my wife because it was better or much cheaper than other PDF readers that could do annotations and markups. Against iAnnotate PDF it was clearly better, and I did not care to drop $10 on PDF Expert, and out of principal skipped buying it because I think Readdle pulled a "hey iOS 7 is out buy our NEW PDF Expert because we're removing the old version from the App Store" move which pissed a lot of the reviewers off.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife and I both have iPhone 4s with different apple IDs. We just bought an iPad Air. Is there a way to be able to easily switch IDs and download both of our purchased content or can do we have to just choose the one ID with the most purchases?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I both have iPhone 4s with different apple IDs. We just bought an iPad Air. Is there a way to be able to easily switch IDs and download both of our purchased content or can do we have to just choose the one ID with the most purchases?

It's a bitch but you just have to log in with both, get your apps from each account, and then you'll have to switch accounts whenever those apps get updates.

Totally recommend just using one account on all your devices moving forward.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

tuyop posted:

Totally recommend just using one account on all your devices moving forward.

I now realize this for I suffer from the regret.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should be noted you can share an iTunes account just fine, and to keep personal data separate each of you gets a unique icloud account. Wife and I do this and it works great.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yep, wife and I use one iTunes account to share apps but she has her own iCloud account from mine for backups, iMessaging etc.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, I heard about that a month or so ago.....a year and a half after we bought our iphones and set up different accounts.

That would have saved us money since we both bought the same kid's games so they could always play it no matter who was with them.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, I heard about that a month or so ago.....a year and a half after we bought our iphones and set up different accounts.

That would have saved us money since we both bought the same kid's games so they could always play it no matter who was with them.

A child's happiness is priceless

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

A child's happiness silent distraction is priceless

Fixed this.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It is actually pretty loud so silent is out. Also, we both end up playing them with the girls because they want to show us how they are doing (or the youngest wants help). It was just hard for a little while because I had them on my phone and my wife did not have them so if one of them wanted to play after finishing supper, my wife had no game for the little one to play.

I love the games though because my daughters are learning their numbers, addition, phonics, spelling, sight words and vocabulary building.

It is the Endless series (Endless Alphabet, Endless Reader, Endless Numbers). They are a great set of educational apps for preschoolers.

geera
May 20, 2003
If it makes you feel any better, you aren't the only one in that situation. My wife got her first iPhone right before we got married and we're still using different iTunes accounts, 4 years later. Now that we have a 1.5 year old, the idea of redoing 4 years worth of app and music purchases at this point to move to a shared account is... :negative:.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can use multiple accounts in the same device. It's annoying as gently caress when updating since you'll end up needing the password of the other account but you don't HAVE to rebuy apps.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

But who wins the iTunes account in the divorce?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Based on the agonizing that goes on when an individual here isn't sure about a 5$ ios app I do not want to know how bad it'll get when two individuals discuss an account full of them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

But who wins the iTunes account in the divorce?

Whoever changes the password first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That should make for an entertaining news story the first time Apple gets asked to split an iTunes account 50/50.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"You can have FTL and Pirates! if I get to keep Carcassonne."

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

withak posted:

"You can have FTL and Pirates! if I get to keep Carcassonne."

You have chosen poorly.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ZShakespeare posted:

You have chosen poorly.
Depends if Carcassonne has all the DLC. :eng101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

Depends if Carcassonne has all the DLC. :eng101:

Except princess and dragon. gently caress that poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The saved data for each game matters too.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm not sure which topic this question belongs in, but can AirDrop allow me to (quickly) transfer videos from my MacBook to my iPad?

For example, let's say I've just encoded some videos on my MacBook and I want to watch them later using my iPad. I know I can use iTunes to wirelessly sync but then I have to add that video to iTunes, then sync, etc, etc.

AirDrop sounds like it could be a quick and easy way to copy the videos?

EDIT: ...or is there any other way to quickly transfer videos to the iPad without me requiring to turn the iPad on? It would also be extremely convienent to leave my iPad in my messenger bag, and just "connect" to it remotely with my MacBook and transfer videos...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 13, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just use a stand alone video player app. Most of them have a separate library from the iTunes video library which makes managing it a lot easier. There's a chunk of the apps tab in ITunes that lets you specifically interact with apps that have their own file systems.

As an example, when I want to quickly squirt a video over to my iPad I just select the iPad in iTunes, click over to the apps tab, scroll down to the "File Sharing" window, and select my video app. (AVPlayerHD in this case, although there are bunches out there. I use it because it plays well with my rickety old first gen IPad). Click the app and from there it's just drag and drop into the "documents" pane that's next to the list of apps.

edit: this also has the benefit of giving you a bit more flexibility in what kind of video formats you can use, plus whatever other features your player of choice may have. AVPlayer, for example, makes subtitles pretty dirt simple.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 13, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just bought Castro for podcasts.

It has a nicer interface than most anything else (my player of choice is Downcast), but for the life of me I can't figure out how to go to a specific time in the podcast, the time bar is not interactive?

Like say I want to jump to minute 45 of a 2 hour podcast. How do you do that? I'm hoping the answer is not "you can't" because that would make it a lovely app, despite all the gloss and nice interface.

edit: Ok I just found out by reading some reviews, you hold on a bar next to the backwards time arrow and you scrobble forward or back. Not intuitive at all but whatever. Ok, it's actually pretty poo poo, but the rest of the app is nice.

further edit: Man, it's actually super lovely. I'm appreciating Downcast's "30 second" jump buttons much more now. It's a shame, otherwise the app is great but sometimes you miss what someone said and this way it's harder to control, too easy to jump 20 minutes instead of the 2 that you wanted. Not recommended app.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Don Tacorleone posted:

I just bought Castro for podcasts.

It has a nicer interface than most anything else (my player of choice is Downcast), but for the life of me I can't figure out how to go to a specific time in the podcast, the time bar is not interactive?

Like say I want to jump to minute 45 of a 2 hour podcast. How do you do that? I'm hoping the answer is not "you can't" because that would make it a lovely app, despite all the gloss and nice interface.

edit: Ok I just found out by reading some reviews, you hold on a bar next to the backwards time arrow and you scrobble forward or back. Not intuitive at all but whatever. Ok, it's actually pretty poo poo, but the rest of the app is nice.

further edit: Man, it's actually super lovely. I'm appreciating Downcast's "30 second" jump buttons much more now. It's a shame, otherwise the app is great but sometimes you miss what someone said and this way it's harder to control, too easy to jump 20 minutes instead of the 2 that you wanted. Not recommended app.

Get Pocket Casts. I switched from Downcast and don't regret it one bit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

I'm not sure which topic this question belongs in, but can AirDrop allow me to (quickly) transfer videos from my MacBook to my iPad?

For example, let's say I've just encoded some videos on my MacBook and I want to watch them later using my iPad. I know I can use iTunes to wirelessly sync but then I have to add that video to iTunes, then sync, etc, etc.

AirDrop sounds like it could be a quick and easy way to copy the videos?

EDIT: ...or is there any other way to quickly transfer videos to the iPad without me requiring to turn the iPad on? It would also be extremely convienent to leave my iPad in my messenger bag, and just "connect" to it remotely with my MacBook and transfer videos...

If you don't mind the wait, Dropbox or Google Drive will do this for you if Airdrop doesn't do that on a Macbook.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Get Pocket Casts. I switched from Downcast and don't regret it one bit.

Anything in particular that you like more over downcast? Don't get me wrong I like downcast and I'm not looking to switch but if there's something better I'll give it a shot.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do you guys have any suggestions for fitness apps that tell you what workouts you should do? Something for a beginner. Most of the apps I see are for logging exercises.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I'm looking for an email app available on both iPhone and iPad that supports Gmail as well as Exchange, any recommendations?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shapur posted:

I'm looking for an email app available on both iPhone and iPad that supports Gmail as well as Exchange, any recommendations?

Got any more criteria? The stock mail app works with both gmail and exchange.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Don Tacorleone posted:

Anything in particular that you like more over downcast? Don't get me wrong I like downcast and I'm not looking to switch but if there's something better I'll give it a shot.

I mostly prefer it for cosmetic reasons. It's been a while since I used Downcast, but I think Pocket Casts has a cleaner and more intuitive interface. I didn't like how the description of the podcast took such a prominent role in the UI, I just want to see the title and click play.

I really don't have any tangible reason why Pocket Casts is better, other than the experience of using it is much more enjoyable for some reason, if that makes sense.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for fitness apps that tell you what workouts you should do? Something for a beginner. Most of the apps I see are for logging exercises.

When I was doing Intro To Swoling I used Jefit, which has downloadable "routines" for beginners. Now that I know what I'm doing, I use Strong.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Got any more criteria? The stock mail app works with both gmail and exchange.

Not really, to be honest I really just don't like the interface of the stock app and wanted to see if there was anything out there worth using. A snooze feature or the ability to add emails to lists would be nice. Swiping to archive/delete is also quite convenient. I've tried a few apps that I've liked but they either don't support exchange or aren't available on iPad as well and I'd really like to the use the same thing on both devices. If my best bet is the stock app I suppose I'll revert back to that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I used to be a Downcast loyalist, but there's honestly no comparison. Pocket Casts is miles better.

The UI is about 100x smoother and more responsive. And it has server side crawling of feeds - so rather than your client churn through a list of podcasts to refresh - the server does it for you and instructs the client to download in background. Outside of 1Password, I can't name an app with a higher value:price ratio.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lexicon posted:

I used to be a Downcast loyalist, but there's honestly no comparison. Pocket Casts is miles better.

The UI is about 100x smoother and more responsive. And it has server side crawling of feeds - so rather than your client churn through a list of podcasts to refresh - the server does it for you and instructs the client to download in background. Outside of 1Password, I can't name an app with a higher value:price ratio.
I think you've just convinced me to switch. Is it easy to get all my subscriptions ported over to Pocket Casts? (I'm guessing it won't keep read/unread tags in an import though, right?)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Check out fitocracy, it has set routines as well.

Though most of those routines are going to be poo poo and you should just find one approved in the YLLS general diet and exercise thread. The OP there is a pretty good reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think you've just convinced me to switch. Is it easy to get all my subscriptions ported over to Pocket Casts? (I'm guessing it won't keep read/unread tags in an import though, right?)

Look for OPML import / export, although that is just a list of feeds.

• Locked thread