Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
RIP eightfold you were the coolest spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Huh. I feel the 'extra few seconds' thing made the moment that much more of a gut punch. :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I feel the same way!

( /\ (
( \/ (

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Well put, Isabel.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
Took me a second to realize it, but the reason that the vision cuts at the end there is because Isabel moved when she was trying to get Eightfold's attention. She just couldn't help herself, due to the love she had for her friend!

Aaaaaaand now her friend is gonna die. That's a bit of a bummer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is up with you nerds assuming Eightfold is gonna die :v:

This page is a heckuva lot of avatarbait.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I've never seen such a sad origami spider before. :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

What is up with you nerds assuming Eightfold is gonna die :v:

This page is a heckuva lot of avatarbait.

Yeah, this is obviously a setup for everything going right. Eight pages and two months is just a good buildup for a "gotcha!" anticlimax!

Nah but seriously she dead. I think the best line was "You get to decide what this means for your story, ok? Question others' bogus Isabel narratives." It was weirdly touching, and maybe a good thing for her to hear at that moment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explain to me how Eightfold is about to die, as opposed to being trapped inside a book underground for a few years.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Tollymain posted:

Explain to me how Eightfold is about to die, as opposed to being trapped inside a book underground for a few years.

I don't know if you've ever buried paper unshielded. It doesn't do so well.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Doesn't that just free her? When Isabel's grandfather destroyed one of the possessed targets not only was the spirit inside ok, they had to be chased down so that they wouldn't escape.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

Kind of splitting hairs. The important part is she's separated from Isabel and won't be rejoining the story for at very least a little while, otherwise all this buildup's a waste of time.

So yeah maybe she won't actually be dead for as much as that concept has meaning for spirits, but she might as well be and Isabel's probably going to take it badly while also dwelling on her last words. That's what's important.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I have a feeling that Paranatural will read better in book format, where the frustration of waiting a week for more dialogue is lessened. As a reminder, dude is 21 and this is his first comic, in case you were feeling good about anything you had accomplished.

Zack retweeted this from his twitter account:

From http://ellwiche.tumblr.com/,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heavy Zed posted:

Doesn't that just free her? When Isabel's grandfather destroyed one of the possessed targets not only was the spirit inside ok, they had to be chased down so that they wouldn't escape.

It's possible she's too drat weak. She just killed herself this morning.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Even if she does escape after the tool is no longer recognizable as a proper full object (rules somewhere in the comments in the past) Eightfold is a very weak spirit on her own. It isn't unlikely that something would just eat her.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Heavy Zed posted:

The spirit wasn't okay though, it was in a weakened state. We know from the whalefrog that it would have dissipated in short order without anything else to possess, they were only chasing it to make sure it went back into a practice target. I doubt Eightfold is going to have many options dozens of feet underground.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

YES bread posted:

The spirit wasn't okay though, it was in a weakened state. We know from the whalefrog that it would have dissipated in short order without anything else to possess, they were only chasing it to make sure it went back into a practice target. I doubt Eightfold is going to have many options dozens of feet underground.

unless she POSSESSES THE EARTH

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sadly the size of the spirit and how strong it is correlates to how big a thing it can possess. Though he has commented that he doesn't know how that works with huge gently caress off snake inhabiting a baseball bat, and said something along the lines of "I guess big spirits can go into little things if they want. Little spirits can't go into big things though'.

Eightfold is going to inhabit a pebble, clearly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Or! Eightfold will possess an earthworm. And then it'll slowly turn into a bookworn! :eng101:

:eng99:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can animals be possessed? You'd think they'd be ideal targets, considering they probably have much weaker wills and would be easier to manipulate.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

Can animals be possessed? You'd think they'd be ideal targets, considering they probably have much weaker wills and would be easier to manipulate.

It's possible that animals can't generate spectral energy, and so aren't suitable for possession.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slime posted:

It's possible that animals can't generate spectral energy, and so aren't suitable for possession.

They could still be like tools, except able to move around, so they would have an easier time finding a spectral with which to bond. Though maybe that'd be too much like a magical girl anime.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cat Mattress posted:

They could still be like tools, except able to move around, so they would have an easier time finding a spectral with which to bond. Though maybe that'd be too much like a magical girl anime.

"Isaac! Use the plunger to transform into Pretty Magical Warrior Prince Shining Cutey, poyon!"

Hell yeah I can dig it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

See now that needs to happen

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What we need is someone whose tool is a cat.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Lord of Hats posted:

What we need is someone whose tool is a cat.

I've met many cats who were tools.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If a cat got possessed by the sphinx would it be more or less obnoxious than Spender?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That reminds me, I wanna see the Sphinx of games again, someday.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Blackheart posted:

That reminds me, I wanna see the Sphinx of games again, someday.

He's been confirmed somewhere for coming back. His powers are plot relevant, it appears.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

They'd be trapped in it, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neogeo0823 posted:

Or! Eightfold will possess an earthworm. And then it'll slowly turn into a bookworn! :eng101:
I want and need this to happen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He's been confirmed somewhere for coming back. His powers are plot relevant, it appears.

More like Johnny-relevant :getin:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tools stop being tools when they are no longer usable for their original purpose. If wanted to nullify, say, Ed's tool, you would only need to pluck out all the brushes. This means that Eightfold will be free of the book as soon as it rots/gets soaked to the point of unreadability, which should only take one or two weeks at most.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What happens when the immovable riddle wall meets the unstoppable ghost train?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Maduo posted:

What happens when the immovable riddle wall meets the unstoppable ghost train?

The train moves one foot to the left.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The train is pretty good at going through barriers thus far.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=259

I warned you about the kick bro

hovertext:
what the heck isabel why didn't you watch his starboard

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ha ha. The minicomic is great.

And hurray for Max doing something right before getting punted.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 16, 2014

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I wish these crazy skull creatures would decide what they are already. Now they've added horses to the mix!

Also I nearly died reading that minicomic. I hope you're happy, Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aaaand we're back. :allears:

What a great way to lighten up the mood.