Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's an environment without internet, due to hilarious stupidity (small business/bad decisions).

Network share doesn't necessitate internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You can just plug an ethernet cable between the hosts and manually set their network card IP to be on the same subnet (e.g. 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 & 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Network share doesn't necessitate internet.

I'm aware and it is the first plan tomorrow, but not certain if the machines are hooked up to a router or not. I don't know the situation of badness.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm aware and it is the first plan tomorrow, but not certain if the machines are hooked up to a router or not. I don't know the situation of badness.

There has to be a LAN, otherwise why have a server?

And yeah, the thing has to have at least a NIC.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 14, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I really, really loving hate that all the widescreen monitors are 16:9 instead of 16:10 now. Monitors are for doing work and playing video games, not watching movies. 16:10 allows you to view to standard size pages at 100% side-by-side. 16:9 allows you to be cranky that you can't quite multitask on this huge rear end monitor that is hogging your desk. So stupid.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Inspector_666 posted:

There has to be a LAN, otherwise why have a server?

And yeah, the thing has to have at least a NIC.

:downs: The cloud is WIRELESS!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sfwarlock posted:

We just had the fire training last week at work. Long story short, if it's bigger than a trashcan fire or if getting the extinguisher puts you farther from the exit, they want us to pull the alarm and get our asses out.

Honestly though, with the ceiling fire I probably would have tried to put it out too. I just wouldn't have stepped under it if I could have avoided it, but i'm assuming he didn't have a choice.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really, really loving hate that all the widescreen monitors are 16:9 instead of 16:10 now. Monitors are for doing work and playing video games, not watching movies. 16:10 allows you to view to standard size pages at 100% side-by-side. 16:9 allows you to be cranky that you can't quite multitask on this huge rear end monitor that is hogging your desk. So stupid.

The Dell U2412M would like a word with you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I sort of want a Dell U2913WM. :shobon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just want a 24" 4K display and for Windows not to be so terrible at high DPI. My Retina MBP has spoiled me.

I'm not sure if going from 2x 1680x1050 20" displays to one 24" 4K would be a step backwards in terms of physical space to organise windows in though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It kind of bothered me with 1920x1080 screens, because the first widescreen monitor I got was a 1920x1200 one and I wanted to add a second.

Now I have a 2560x1440 screen and it doesn't bother me that it's 16:9, it's still bigger in every direction.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

This is a limitation of 1080 pixel-height, not an aspect ratio.

Collapsible UI elements may make this not a concern. As you stated, 1200 pixel-height should make this not a concern, and 1440 pixel-height will make this not a concern, so long as the pixel size and display placement are comfortable.

Things might get interesting if you're doing 4K video work on a UHD monitor, however.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wildlife came in. :3: Spring at the pond behind the office is off to a good start.

(The ducks ran away as soon as I tried to get a picture. The geese just made feeble attemps to hiss at me while I threw food at them from 3ft away.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All geese are bastards.

Bastards that poo poo on everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Canada Geese are beautiful assholes, though, and all goslings are cute little fuzzballs. It's like a paparazzi shoot of Alec Baldwin out with his kids.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So have you rigged the network to implode once they fire you yet?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Entropic posted:

All geese are bastards.

You tell me if you can resist this little quacking face.

You can't. :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Canada Geese are beautiful assholes, though, and all goslings are cute little fuzzballs. It's like a paparazzi shoot of Alec Baldwin out with his kids.

I never knew baby geese were called goslings.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

All geese are bastards.

This.

I should have grabbed a picture yesterday when I went outside for some air and they got between me and the front door, hissing at me every time I tried to get back in the building

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Wild geese taste loving amazingly delicious. And are giant poo poo everywhere, grass ripping up, people attacking assholes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Swans are actually bastards too, don't let the pretty feathers fool you, they will gently caress you up if you get in their way.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Entropic posted:

Swans are actually bastards too, don't let the pretty feathers fool you, they will gently caress you up if you get in their way.

*Mute* swans are territorial assholes and also an invasive species in the US. They will kill you if they get the chance. Trumpeter swans (the native species) are beautiful birds that are not dicks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

The Dell U2412M would like a word with you.

I have a 2407WFP. 1920x1200, it is a wonderful thing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sirotan posted:

*Mute* swans are territorial assholes and also an invasive species in the US. They will kill you if they get the chance. Trumpeter swans (the native species) are beautiful birds that are not dicks.

Honest summary: "Easily startled idiot takes a kayak onto water without wearing a life vest and drowns." I'm not saying the swan had nothing to do with it or that you are wrong at all. But holy poo poo what a moron.

I took kayaking lessons once. They spend about 10 minutes teaching you how to paddle and the rest of the week teaching you how to deal with being overturned. Turning yourself and your craft back over, escaping from the kayak, just sitting there upside down underwater, jammed into the kayak so you get used to the sensation so you won't panic when it happens (and it will) in an uncontrolled environment.

They are not the most stable of watergoing vessels. And he went out in one without a life jacket. :psyboom:

edit: grammars

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

I can see the demon in them already.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Swans are awesome because while they will bite people or other waterfowl who get to close to them, they generally don't mind them, but they will ruthlessly murder any goose or gosling that gets near them. Geese are so afraid of swans that one swan will chase off an entire flock of 40 geese. Then you have a nice calm duck pond with a beautiful swan in it and significantly less poo poo everywhere.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

As someone who also has a pond behind the office, it's one thing when the goslings are a week old. When they're two or three weeks old, and are basically the size of geese but still covered in brown almost-fur, they're the ugliest things imaginable and I would have no problem kicking or shooting them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

K8.0 posted:

Swans are awesome because while they will bite people or other waterfowl who get to close to them, they generally don't mind them, but they will ruthlessly murder any goose or gosling that gets near them. Geese are so afraid of swans that one swan will chase off an entire flock of 40 geese. Then you have a nice calm duck pond with a beautiful swan in it and significantly less poo poo everywhere.

Swans aren't as temperamental but they are far more dangerous. They can break bones. A goose can bloody you, but a swan can gently caress you up.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Almost as good as Bug Fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPaieuIo2Bc

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Our new ducks:

We have 7 chickens but I don't have any pictures handy...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How soft are they?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Caged posted:

I just want a 24" 4K display and for Windows not to be so terrible at high DPI. My Retina MBP has spoiled me.

I'm not sure if going from 2x 1680x1050 20" displays to one 24" 4K would be a step backwards in terms of physical space to organise windows in though.

Screenchat:
I have a pair of Dell FP2007's (20in, 1600x1200). These are a few years old now and I'm looking at 4K monitors but they all seem to be physically smaller or cost silly money. *sigh*

I'm dreading the day when one of them dies and I have to replace both.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The UP2414Q is around $1200 which is what I paid for my 2407 back in 2007. It's 16:9 though unfortunately.
And I'm a bit worried about gaming on 4k, I don't want to have to spend another thousand bucks on a graphics card to get a good framerate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could just run it at 1080p for games and it would be just as sharp as a non-4k display.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Caged posted:

You could just run it at 1080p for games and it would be just as sharp as a non-4k display.

Idk scaling makes it blurry.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

Idk scaling makes it blurry.

How does taking one pixel and making it 4 make anything blurry over the same pixel density?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baquerd posted:

How does taking one pixel and making it 4 make anything blurry over the same pixel density?

Most 4k displays are not exactly 4x the pixels of 1920x1080

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
I got this error while working on something today:

"At end of something"

How the computer knew I was at the end of my sanity I'll never know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Install Windows posted:

Most 4k displays are not exactly 4x the pixels of 1920x1080

Most of the ones I can see are 3840x2160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dick Trauma posted:

How soft are they?

Quite terribly! My wife loves them dearly.

• Locked thread