Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm sure we're all aware of America's super strict restrictions against depictions of violence that prohibit cartoons from having bandages. Yep, these are necessary changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

It's WORSE than 4Kids. Even they wouldn't have changed the first aid kit or the objects in the time capsule.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The weirdest thing to me about this is that the article implies these edits were made by the Japanese themselves to appeal to American audiences. Do they realize that American licensors haven't been localizing shows like this for years?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm not sure if this quite fits here, but it's anime-related and current:

Rawstory posted:

The marriage may be legal but the suspected premarital sex was not, authorities said on Saturday after arresting a 41-year-old Houston-area drama teacher for the alleged sexual assault of a child, his 16-year-old wife.

Ilich Guardiola, who also works as a voice actor in Japanese animations, was pulled over in a traffic stop in the Houston suburb of Spring Valley last month and later questioned about his relationship with the teen riding with him, police said.

Shortly after the incident, Guardiola married the teenager, who has not been identified, in Las Vegas with the approval of her mother, who witnessed the wedding.

Police said there is circumstantial evidence that the two engaged in a sexual relationship prior to legal marriage.

“The marriage is absolutely legal. We received a copy of the marriage certificate,” said Gary Finkelman of the Spring Valley Police Department.

Guardiola was arrested on Thursday at his Houston-area apartment for violating a Texas law that forbids sex with a child, regardless of the child’s consent. A child is defined as a person under 17 years of age.

Guardiola’ bail has been set at $50,000 and no lawyer has been listed as representing him, according to his arrest record.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/11/41-year-old-texas-man-arrested-for-suspected-premarital-sex-with-16-year-old-wife/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illich_Guardiola

:stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Child molestor ja nai. Katsura da.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

quote:

The marriage may be legal but the suspected premarital sex was not, authorities said on Saturday after arresting a 41-year-old Houston-area drama teacher for the alleged sexual assault of a child, his 16-year-old wife.
What a loving sentence.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

The weirdest thing to me about this is that the article implies these edits were made by the Japanese themselves to appeal to American audiences. Do they realize that American licensors haven't been localizing shows like this for years?

For what it's worth, a lot of the One Piece changes under 4kids were stuff that Toei wanted (Not that 4kids was completely blameless of course, but Toei did push for a lot of those things). Thanks to Japanese business logic, they assumed that because heavily edited anime performed well in the past it means that it's always a good idea. And I guess some folks over there still assume that considering that edit list, goddamn.

Not gonna lie, it is a bummer to hear about those changes because nobody else wants to touch Doraemon for obvious reasons. It might be mainstream over there but amongst anime fandom in the west I think it'd have a very niche audience at best since it's completely episodic.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 12, 2014

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Personally, I am glad that Disney has decided to fill the 4kids shaped hole in my comedy-heart.

Changing the first-aid kit was probably because they didn't want kids messing around and eating the strange candies one can find in pretty much every pre-packed first aid kit.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Srice posted:

Not gonna lie, it is a bummer to hear about those changes because nobody else wants to touch Doraemon for obvious reasons. It might be mainstream over there but amongst anime fandom in the west I think it'd have a very niche audience at best since it's completely episodic.

I am pretty sure their planned audience for Doraemon isn't anime fans, just you know... children.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That is a good point. Some of the changes may seem a bit arbitrary, but it's a show for babies. It's not like 4Kids taking a show aimed for teens and trying to make it a baby show. Doraemon is already a baby show.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

That is a good point. Some of the changes may seem a bit arbitrary, but it's a show for babies. It's not like 4Kids taking a show aimed for teens and trying to make it a baby show. Doraemon is already a baby show.

I watched Doraemon in Japanese when I was 3 and understood it as well as I was going to. :colbert:

It's still a little weird to me how far they're going to Americanize a show meant for literal toddlers, because god forbid they expose children to any kind of foreign cultural context.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 12, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Listen, those kids barely have a grasp on what America is, we don't need to be confusing them in their developmental years by adding more countries to the mix. :colbert:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's as much not trying to weird out parents I think.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Hey, if Dora can teach the youngins Spanish why can't Doraemon teach them Japanese?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Amstrad posted:

Hey, if Dora can teach the youngins Spanish why can't Doraemon teach them Japanese?

Speaking of Latin culture, has there ever been rice in Dora? I feel like it's really reaching to say that egg+rice is a "foreign" food that children wouldn't understand. Maybe I'm out of touch.

Like most of those changes make sense at least on some level, changing yen to dollar bills, and even the removal of tears to make the show less upsetting or whatever, but some of it just seems nonsensical.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure their planned audience for Doraemon isn't anime fans, just you know... children.

Derp, knew I forgot something there. Yeah, airing it for children is pretty much the only feasible way for it to make money in the west.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The weirdest part is, some of the changes actually make total sense. Translating the names of his gadgets, for example, isn't a weird 4kids-like edit, it's just good localization. And I mean, they're just Anglicizing the original names instead of making up completely new ones (even if it did result in "Noby" and "Big G").

And then loving pancakes and first-aid pizza.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The weirdest part is, some of the changes actually make total sense. Translating the names of his gadgets, for example, isn't a weird 4kids-like edit, it's just good localization. And I mean, they're just Anglicizing the original names instead of making up completely new ones (even if it did result in "Noby" and "Big G").

And then loving pancakes and first-aid pizza.

I understand the pancakes more than I do the first aid pizza and removing the tears

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given Japan seems late to the party on most things, them 4kids'ing their poo poo some two years after 4kids ceased to be sounds about right.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but a Kill la Kill dub is being premiered at Anime Expo in July.
Dubs aren't usually released this fast, are they?
I personally thought the VAs were the best part of the series but whatever.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is really fast, especially if they did it all in one go instead of starting with the first episode back in October. For comparison, the Attack on Titan dub is airing right now, about half a year after the show ended, and that's pretty fast for a dub. The Devil Is A Part Timer dub is just getting promotion now, a year after it first came out, which is a more normal schedule.

With simulcasting becoming ubiquitous, it looks like more shows are looking to capitalise on the popularity of the original airing by getting this stuff out fast. At least with shows as popular as KlK or AoT we'll probably see more stuff like this.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

uuuummm posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but a Kill la Kill dub is being premiered at Anime Expo in July.
Dubs aren't usually released this fast, are they?
I personally thought the VAs were the best part of the series but whatever.

RIP nani sore 2013-2014

But really, Satsuki, Gamagoori, Mako, basically everyone was perfect in the original. I don't know who could follow that up.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

HellCopter posted:

RIP nani sore 2013-2014

Kari Wahlgren could be a good Nonon. She replaced Nonon's VA in FLCL and did an excellent job.

You're right though, I don't see how anyone can come close to the original.

The whole plot relied on puns that don't translate into English too well so I don't see how a dub is a good idea.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I don't see any reason they would dub the most popular anime airing during the two seasons it ran. Nope, absolutely nobody would buy a dub of KLK.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

uuuummm posted:

Kari Wahlgren could be a good Nonon. She replaced Nonon's VA in FLCL and did an excellent job.

You're right though, I don't see how anyone can come close to the original.

The whole plot relied on puns that don't translate into English too well so I don't see how a dub is a good idea.

BATTLEFIELD TRIP
NATURALS ELECTION
I think they'll do fine puns wise

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I seriously don't think the puns were that central to the plot.

Like, I think the clothes were more important.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't see any reason they would dub the most popular anime airing during the two seasons it ran. Nope, absolutely nobody would buy a dub of KLK.

You're right, silly me. I guess what I mean is 'I won't bother with this dub.'

As for the puns, I did some reading and there really is a lot of stuff that got lost in translation. Having accurately translated puns probably means more to me than it should. I've been raised with a terrible appreciation for dad jokes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Panty and Stocking basically threw out the original script and wrote new jokes that worked in English, and it's one of the only dubs in existence I'd vouch for. They made it into a new show at least as funny as the original.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who the hell watches dubs in the year 2014?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Namtab posted:

The one and a half million or so that watches Toonami?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Namtab posted:

Japanese Goku's little girl voice weirds me out, man. :shrug:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Namtab posted:

It's me. They make them just for me. Sorry about that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Because sometimes the original is just that awful ahem~Ghost Stories~ahem.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
The Ghost Stories dub should be mandatory viewing for every anime fan.

I watch dubbed anime if I want to multitask. Can't read subtitles and wash the dishes at the same time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Panty and Stocking basically threw out the original script and wrote new jokes that worked in English, and it's one of the only dubs in existence I'd vouch for. They made it into a new show at least as funny as the original.

Actually, at many points, I would say that the dub is funnier to me than the original. I think it's just that the style of humor PSG goes for is one best appreciated in one's own language. Most of the comedy in the Japanese track is listening to Japanese women curse in English.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That makes me think of Samurai Pizza Cats. I don't know how well it holds up but that show was great and they did the same thing. Total rewrites can be a great option. I mean if you want the original that's already there to watch subbed. (though I do sympathize with the desire to be able to do other poo poo while watching anime, it can be annoying that you always gotta stare at the screen and never look away for a second)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The Steins;Gate dub was pretty drat fantastic, script-wise. I bought that and PSG pretty much solely for the dubs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not "at least as", it's just straight up superior in every way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xythar posted:

The Steins;Gate dub was pretty drat fantastic, script-wise. I bought that and PSG pretty much solely for the dubs.

It also helped that Okabe's VA absolutely owned the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Terper posted:

It's not "at least as", it's just straight up superior in every way.

My favorite joke is during the episode where they introduce the Demon sisters, Brief guesses what the sisters' plan is, and Garter says "Someone get that boy a sticker!" and Panty just mutters "The gently caress? I want a sticker."

Hilarious.

Edit: There's also the fact that in 12 episodes, it says the word gently caress about 100 times more than Black Lagoon did in more than twice that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojiOyoyUYC4

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 14, 2014

• Locked thread