Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Dig the random quote marks. I'm sure it was popular for "entertainment", narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baka-Tsuki are the worst, and this is particularly clunky.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Traveller posted:

Dig the random quote marks. I'm sure it was popular for "entertainment", narration.

That's just nitpicking. A lot of LN's and manga do that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

That's just nitpicking. A lot of LN's and manga do that.

Christ dude you don't need to whiteknight the clunky as gently caress amateur translation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If it's a translation thing then that's hardly a fault of the writing itself, then.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

If it's a translation thing then that's hardly a fault of the writing itself, then.
you are either genuinely stupid or you're trolling everyone in this topic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ hey! (drat, looking for those Jojo quotation marks slowed me down)

WickedHate posted:

This is too obvious a 「troll」, even for ADTRW standards. That, or you're an incredible 「moron」.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

So it's football, except in a box with airholes, and protective gear, and a ping pong ball.

I'm pretty sure in 2080 no matter if magic is real or not sports are probably gonna be the same as sports we have now and not played in dumbass transparent boxes. Your made up sport sounds dumb as gently caress.

It sounds like jai alai for sissies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having words in brackets in English makes it look clunky, and quotation marks make it sound like you're being sarcastic. It's a basic rule of translation that if something doesn't work in English (or whatever language), you change it to make it work. That would go against how the people that do these translations want them to be done since that wouldn't be a literal translation tho :v:

e: Also, lmao at the way he describes how the sport is played. Bad translation or no, what a gigantic turbonerd.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 13, 2014

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

This show isn't nearly good enough to warrant 12 pages already but I can't say I didn't enjoy reading these posts. It's honestly at the bottom of all the shows I'm watching this season but hey if I'm still watching it there must be something it's doing right, right? :suicide:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Admoon posted:

This show isn't nearly good enough to warrant 12 pages already but I can't say I didn't enjoy reading these posts. It's honestly at the bottom of all the shows I'm watching this season but hey if I'm still watching it there must be something it's doing right, right? :suicide:
Its lack of redeeming features is its redeeming feature.

Let's face it, we watch all sorts of anime because we can do so with perfect convenience at nearly no marginal cost and it has pretty lights and sounds. If we didn't have either flat-rate Crunchyroll accounts or acquisition via other means and had to pay more for each episode we watched or had to do so at a particular time without the ability to pause or skip around most of us probably would barely watch a fraction of what we do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admoon posted:

I'm just morbidly fascinated with the show because it's legit one of if not the worst anime I've ever seen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

I'm just morbidly fascinated with the show because it's legit one of if not the worst anime I've ever seen.

Worst writing, maybe. The production values are perfectly fine, and the character designs aren't bad either. Granted, the latter aspect is probably because Satou has a fetish for demurely dressed women, but it still beats the usual LN panty shot extravaganza.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fashion goes in cycles, the gritty magical future with a victorian fashion sense.

"Madam, I can see your ankles"

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Namtab posted:

Fashion goes in cycles, the gritty magical future with a victorian fashion sense.

"Madam, I can see your ankles"

Followed by an infodump on ankles and how scandalous they are in this grim future.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The animation is competent but heck, the writing is just so dreadfully dull that it doesn't make up for it. Now, I haven't seen the latest episode, but I've felt that thus far the action scenes have ranged from okay to terribly boring.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My "fave" aspect of this show has always been that the guy is emotionless just so they can make him sarcastic all the time.

The irregular at magic high school: my only emotions are imouto and :smug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Worst writing, maybe. The production values are perfectly fine, and the character designs aren't bad either.

Yeah, even if you don't like Mahouka you can't have seen that bad for it to be the worst.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nah, been watching anime for quite some time and I can't think of anything I've seen in all those years that's worse. I just find it to be the dull type of bad, which is quite frankly, the worst kind of bad! Noticeably different from funny bad, which is always a blast.

e: Heck, the friend I watched this with said it was the worst thing I have ever made him watch. And I was cruel enough to suggest RWBY for us to watch one time.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, even if you don't like Mahouka you can't have seen that bad for it to be the worst.

It's better than creepy fetish shows I guess.

the irregular at magic high school: it's bad, but chuu-bra is worse

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Honestly it's a rough tossup between creepy fanservice shows and shows that pander to right wing otakus with terrible nationalist stuff

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

boredsatellite posted:

Honestly it's a rough tossup between creepy fanservice shows and shows that pander to right wing otakus with terrible nationalist stuff

Tomayto, tomahto.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I remember seeing the first year of Gintama and it was, for the most part, not that good in most aspects. Still beats having to sit through 2 hours of this nice-looking dullness. Also, SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED at the lack of Sugita / Nakamura tomfoolery. How did Madhouse decided to stick closely to the source of this malarkey without looking at the script and saying “Pants to this 1% magical elite tirades / imouto bullshit: Bring in the sillies!” is beyond me.

Would have been funny in that Musashi-Gun type of wonderful awfulness, at least.

e: loving Android app.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 14, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I mean, I remember seeing the first year of Gintama and it was, for the most part, not that good in most aspects. Still beats having to sit through 2 hours of this nice-looking dullness. Also, SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED at the lack of Sugita / Nakamura tomfoolery. How did Madhouse decided to stick closely to the source of this malarkey without looking at the script and saying “Pants to this 1% magical elite tirades / imouto bullshit: Bring in the sillies!” is beyond me.

Would have been funny in that Misashi-Gun type of wonderful awfulness, at least.

I think it's really crying for a Starship Troopers sort of adaption, really. Alas, hard for that stuff to happen because the target audience raises a fuss if you deviate from the source material.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
The best part of the latest episode was how sugita will come back so there'll be two good things about this show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you need someone who can independently form their own artistic vision to starship troopers it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dudermcbrohan posted:

The best part of the latest episode was how sugita will come back so there'll be two good things about this show.

I know it's silly to enjoy the work of a voice actor to that extent, but goddamn does he make his efforts to be entertaining. Battle Tendency was basically my favorite anime in 2013 in great part thanks to him and, while Unshou Ishizuka is doing a great job as Old Joseph in Stardust Crusaders, I still think Sugita completely owned that character.

The fact that he sounds like he's always having a blast only further cements it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

WickedHate posted:

I'm starting to think it's WickedHate's Satō-given mission to make you like this series by the end.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wark Say posted:

I know it's silly to enjoy the work of a voice actor to that extent, but goddamn does he make his efforts to be entertaining. Battle Tendency was basically my favorite anime in 2013 in great part thanks to him and, while Unshou Ishizuka is doing a great job as Old Joseph in Stardust Crusaders, I still think Sugita completely owned that character.

The fact that he sounds like he's always having a blast only further cements it.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy Sugita. There is no such thing as enjoying Sugita antics too much. He's just such a great dude and has the best voices

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HiveCommander posted:

I'm starting to think it's WickedHate's Satō-given mission to make you like this series by the end.

If only I could, HiveCommander, if only I could.

I'm fine with others not liking something I just think a lot of the interpretations are completely wrong.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Apparently this anime is really popular in China. People are watching it and loving how awful it is and how their nation is portrayed as almost comically evil. So there's that.

I know this is an old post but I've been slowly going through this thread for the pure :magical: but this really stands out to me.

Being Chinese and having living relatives that survived Japanese occupation during World War II, I find Japanese nationalism repugnant and the novel's/show's portrayal of the Chinese disgusting and tasteless. Yet, I'm surprised if this quote is actually true because I've never figured that mainland Chinese had a sense of humor let alone enough of one to mockingly enjoy the show. I figured they'd be just as offended as I am. Maybe it's because I'm also an American who can be easily offended.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edward IV posted:

I know this is an old post but I've been slowly going through this thread for the pure :magical: but this really stands out to me.

Being Chinese and having living relatives that survived Japanese occupation during World War II, I find Japanese nationalism repugnant and the novel's/show's portrayal of the Chinese disgusting and tasteless. Yet, I'm surprised if this quote is actually true because I've never figured that mainland Chinese had a sense of humor let alone enough of one to mockingly enjoy the show. I figured they'd be just as offended as I am. Maybe it's because I'm also an American who can be easily offended.

No, you're clearly misinterpreting the show. It is only a coincidence that the enemies are Chinese. Unless it explicitly states that literally every Chinese person alive is evil you can't say it's nationalist!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Using China as the bad guy could be nationalist but not necessarily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, considering this show/LN series was written in Japan (which has a bit of a bad history with China) and has a protagonist that apparently slaughters thousands of Chinese people while being portrayed almost entirely in a positive light, I'm inclined to think that it is quite nationalist.

It's not like a character has to say "BY THE WAY, Japan should pursue the revival of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and slaughter all who stand in her way. They should do this because the Japanese people are inherently superior to all lesser races." to make it have a nationalist tone.

edit: Just to be clear, this is hardly something unique to this anime or Japan. Most AAA shooters or military thrillers made in the West are also incredibly nationalist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well how exactly do you define nationalism and would it still be nationalist if it was Canada instead?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Using China as the bad guy could be nationalist but not necessarily.

This. Japan vs China exists for the same reason USA vs Russia is the basis of so many novels, movies and games. There's history of war and violence between them, and any negative portrayal of the Taliban/Islam is a no-go as far as mainstream media is concerned.

e: Medal of Hono(u)r was a great example of this, where there was a huge outrage over the Taliban being a playable faction in multiplayer.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Any counter argument that could possibly be made at this point has already been made. The nationalism of the LNs and the anime have been evidenced over and over throughout this thread, so uh

Go read the last 11 pages I guess! If you still can't see it, I'm sorry, you're blind to subtext and/or willfully ignorant. Stories don't just manifest from the ether, authors make a decision to include or not include something, and you can learn a lot from absences as well as presences.

I honestly hope WickedHate IS a troll at this point because the alternative is just too damned sad.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

would it still be nationalist if it was Canada instead?

Yes. Also, this needs to be an anime :swoon:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Well how exactly do you define nationalism and would it still be nationalist if it was Canada instead?

I would consider pretty much any plot that involves the home country being portrayed as "good" and another country being portrayed as "bad" in a black/white fashion nationalist. The more of a strawman the enemy country is, the more nationalist the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Edward IV posted:

As a Korean I can confirm this anime has caused people to write crap ton of poo poo. Hell there's like really long page compiling why this show is crap, why it's nationalistic and why it's terrible. Some are amused by the terribleness of the anime and others (majority) loving loathe it and despise it

• Locked thread