Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, the Mom Computer Therapy skit on Inside Amy Schumer is me every time I try to show my mom how to use anything on her computer or iPhone :allears:

Yeah that poo poo hit a little too close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

comes along bort posted:

Yeah that poo poo hit a little too close to home.

What the gently caress is it with older people and technology? My mum can't operate her DVD player despite it using all the same icons a VHS does.

This poo poo is designed so a baby could use it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

What the gently caress is it with older people and technology? My mum can't operate her DVD player despite it using all the same icons a VHS does.

When you sense that your son or nephew is getting frustrated teaching you how to operate the latest piece of technology, are you just going to kill yourself out of shame?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I know I have very low standards, but Galavant looks incredible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's going to be something alright. At least for a couple of weeks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PriorMarcus posted:

You really don't think that's going to happen to literally all of us?

"Hahaha, grandpa can't use the holotubes, what an idiot."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

You really don't think that's going to happen to literally all of us?

"Hahaha, grandpa can't use the holotubes, what an idiot."

We've had to cope with fast changing tech all our lives. None of our parents grew up in a world that had home computers, but we all did.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder if they used to make fun of grandpas not being able to work a crossbow.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

precision posted:

I feel like I would probably unironically enjoy Once Upon a Time and maybe I should watch it. I think I watched the pilot episode a while ago? Maybe? Wait yeah I definitely did. Hm.

Go for it! Mostly for Robert Carlyle, who chews into his role like it's a delicious steak, but then can also hit incredible dramatic notes later on when the character's made somewhat more sympathetic.
I'm pretty sure, though, that I watched the entire first season because I think the lead actress is incredibly hot, as well as the actress who plays Regina.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

We've had to cope with fast changing tech all our lives. None of our parents grew up in a world that had home computers, but we all did.

That and consumer technology will get more simplified on the user end as time goes on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's not like my first smartphone counfounded me. And yet my grandmother has had smartphones for 4 years and still doesn't know how to even the most basic poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My mom, who is 63 and doesn't suffer from early onset Alzheimer's or anything, got an iPhone 4S (her first smartphone) a few months ago, and it's like every single time I explain to her how to use the device in some way, she'll ask me a couple weeks later "I know you told me how to do this a while ago but can you show me again? I forgot already." And most of it is basic stuff, like adding an event to the Calendar or using the Maps app to find directions to a place.

When she first got it, I explained a bunch of the different functions and how they worked to her and she was like "This is a lot to take in all at once.", so I told her to just play around with different apps and find out how they work because that's how I learned how to use my first iPhone in 2010, but she won't even do that. And when she kept coming to me with questions and I asked her if she was doing that and she'd tell me "No.", I told her to look up videos on how to do different things with it on YouTube. I installed the YouTube app on her phone and showed her how to do that, but she keeps coming to me with questions and I'll ask her if she's checking for solutions on YouTube and she'll say no :bang:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, this season of comedy looks even more sparse than last year's did, and last year's was pretty bad, even if it did give us Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Trophy Wife, Enlisted, The Goldbergs were all good comedies, even if the first two didn't survive. Mom isn't great, but it's trying something different form the usual Chuck Lorre fare. MJF Show, Back in the Game and The Crazy Ones were at least above average, even if they never became anywhere near as good as the cast promised. Personally I found 2013 be a good year for comedies in general, even if only one was really outstanding.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My mom, who is 63 and doesn't suffer from early onset Alzheimer's or anything, got an iPhone 4S (her first smartphone) a few months ago, and it's like every single time I explain to her how to use the device in some way, she'll ask me a couple weeks later "I know you told me how to do this a while ago but can you show me again? I forgot already." And most of it is basic stuff, like adding an event to the Calendar or using the Maps app to find directions to a place.

When she first got it, I explained a bunch of the different functions and how they worked to her and she was like "This is a lot to take in all at once.", so I told her to just play around with different apps and find out how they work because that's how I learned how to use my first iPhone in 2010, but she won't even do that. And when she kept coming to me with questions and I asked her if she was doing that and she'd tell me "No.", I told her to look up videos on how to do different things with it on YouTube. I installed the YouTube app on her phone and showed her how to do that, but she keeps coming to me with questions and I'll ask her if she's checking for solutions on YouTube and she'll say no :bang:
Older people don't understand that technology is generally designed to be intuitive or at least navigable. It's like they're used to devices that have unmarked buttons and if you do something wrong, you'll break it.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

My mom, who is 63 and doesn't suffer from early onset Alzheimer's or anything

My mom is 68 and got a Note 2 the same time I did. She also got herself a Note 2 for Dummies book, and never bothers me with questions.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decius posted:

Trophy Wife, Enlisted, The Goldbergs were all good comedies, even if the first two didn't survive. Mom isn't great, but it's trying something different form the usual Chuck Lorre fare. MJF Show, Back in the Game and The Crazy Ones were at least above average, even if they never became anywhere near as good as the cast promised. Personally I found 2013 be a good year for comedies in general, even if only one was really outstanding.

It was kinda underwhelming, especially because the apparent reason 2012 was so weak was because there were a lot of things in the works for 2013. 2012 was awful too, with literally one show surviving past 2 seasons (The Mindy Project, which was kind of a surprise to begin with), and NBC/CBS didn't keep a single show past a season. At least 2011 gave us Suburgatory, DTTB, New Girl and a few shows from NBC that were either good-not-great or good-got-burnt-off (Whitney, Bent, Best Friends Forever)

Of course, nothing could compare to 2009, which gave us Modern Family, Community, Cougar Town and The Middle, all of which made it to at least 5 seasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing the CBS Upfront thread will be up later, but here's the new schedule:

MONDAY
8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY/2 BROKE GIRLS
8:30-9:00 PM MOM (NT)
9:00-10:00 PM SCORPION (N)
10:00-11:00 PM NCIS: LOS ANGELES (NT)

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM NCIS
9:00-10:00 PM NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (N)
10:00-11:00 PM PERSON OF INTEREST

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SURVIVOR
9:00-10:00 PM CRIMINAL MINDS
10:00-11:00 PM STALKER (N)

THURSDAY
8:00-11:00 PM, ET THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (N) (Sept. 11-Oct. 23)
8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY (RTP) (As of Oct. 30)
8:30-9:00 PM THE MILLERS (As of Oct. 30)
9:00-9:30 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN (As of Oct. 30)
9:30-10:00 PM THE McCARTHYS (N) (As of Oct. 30)

10:00-11:00 PM ELEMENTARY (As of Oct. 30)

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM THE AMAZING RACE (NT)
9:00-10:00 PM HAWAII FIVE-0
10:00-11:00 PM BLUE BLOODS

SATURDAY
8:00-9:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY
9:00-10:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY
10:00-11:00 PM 48 HOURS

SUNDAY
7:00-8:00 PM 60 MINUTES
8:00-9:00 PM MADAM SECRETARY (N)
9:00-10:00 PM THE GOOD WIFE
10:00-11:00 PM CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (NT)/CSI: CYBER (N)

So BBT now on Monday night, just after NBC made sure their Thursday night schedule was free of comedy*

* I love P&R, I'm just being a dick. And yeah I know it's just while there's no TNF games - although I didn't realise they ended by end of October? Or is it a split deal?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I keep forgetting that The Good Wife is on CBS. How did that channel land such a good show?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Your mom obviously is just looking for excuses to talk to you, maybe you should call her once in a while. ;)

Galavant looks amazing and I'll watch it forever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

My mom taught me DOS back in the day.

Somehow the ever more idiot-proof GUIs coming out of Redmond are ever more confusing to her. idgi

I think people just pass a certain point in life and go "gently caress it" about anything new.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Somehow the ever more idiot-proof GUIs coming out of Redmond are ever more confusing to her. idgi

They are to me, too, honestly. It took me an hour just to figure out how to restart my computer when I used Windows 8 for the first time because the off button is buried under a dozen goddamn menus I never use.

Also, for what its worth, my grandfather was using cell phones in Germany 50 years before you were loving born, so perhaps you Gen Yers shouldn't talk about technological change as if you loving invented it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

They are to me, too, honestly. It took me an hour just to figure out how to restart my computer when I used Windows 8 for the first time because the off button is buried under a dozen goddamn menus I never use.

Always skip a version of Windows.

Microsoft is like clockwork with this somehow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing the CBS Upfront thread will be up later, but here's the new schedule:

Hmmm so they didn't pick up how I Met Your Dad then.

Looks like Brad Pitt is going to be your True Detective season 2 lead.

And mercifully this will be 2.5 Men's final season

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Brad Pitt? Awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Brad Pitt? Awesome.

It's funny because I was blue skying season 2 casting with a friend after the season 1 finale, talking about how with the buzz that Matt McConagahey got that they could cast literally anyone for season 2, and threw out Brad Pitt's name because he was the highest profile most expensive actor I could think of.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

zoux posted:

Brad Pitt is my favorite huge movie star that's also an amazing character actor so this is pretty loving cool.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Sorry, their source is the Daily Star which is tabloid trash here in the UK, which means everything in the story was likely made up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I'm 90% sure Win8 assumes you won't turn off your computer regularly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daedo posted:

Sorry, their source is the Daily Star which is tabloid trash here in the UK, which means everything in the story was likely made up.

This is just the latest in a string of reports dating back to March that Pitt was in talks for the show.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So apparently the most watched new show of the season was...Under the Dome? That has to be a sign of the apocalypse, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

So apparently the most watched new show of the season was...Under the Dome? That has to be a sign of the apocalypse, right?

Well the most popular show on TV right now is NCIS so it's more that there are a shitload of people with terrible taste in TV and also that explains CBS's entire lineup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm 90% sure Win8 assumes you won't turn off your computer regularly.

The new lower power stuff means you really don't have to.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I keep forgetting that The Good Wife is on CBS. How did that channel land such a good show?

Because you have to actually watch it to realize it's amazing. Based purely on the marketing it looks like every other bland CBS drama.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
CBS also has Person of Interest, which is a far more interesting drama about American society post September 11th than shows like Homeland or 24 could ever hope to be.

Yeah, POI has another obnoxious cheerleader and I'm proud of it.

Also the Good Wife is amazing too, and I really not sure why either show managed to survive this long on CBS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Elementary is better than it has any right to be, as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are a handful of decent shows on CBS but the majority are ultrasafe nonchallenging stuff for your mom and dad to watch live because they don't know how to work the DVR and since that's the only people the Nielsen's measures it looks like CBS is killing it.

I mean, CBS could legit be killing it but I have zero faith in the Nielsen's as a accurate metric for judging the popularity of a show.

They are making another CSI spinoff, the network is completely creatively bankrupt.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

And mercifully this will be 2.5 Men's final season

Finally to 2.5M!
Also, from that article:

quote:

Never watched any of the shows on tv. Why? They just are not funny. What makes it worst is when you use fake laughter. You all have terrible writers. I sit and watch and watch and I find myself not laughing. And I do have a sense of humor. I rather watch national geographic, the learning channel, fox news, etc. Something more educational.

I am honestly not sure if it's serious or not.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

I mean, CBS could legit be killing it but I have zero faith in the Nielsen's as a accurate metric for judging the popularity of a show.

They are an accurate measurement of the popularity of a show among people the advertisers care about. Everyone else doesn't matter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

They are an accurate measurement of the popularity of a show among people the advertisers care about. Everyone else doesn't matter.
I think he meant that their statistics and sampling are flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I would say they are extremely poor at measuring the popularity of shows among the 18-39 demo, also known as "the important one", which is what advertisers care about. Those people are much more likely to watch timeshifted or on a non TV platform, which the Nielsen's is useless at gauging.

• Locked thread