Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm assuming this is for a spring/summer league. If it's anything like every summer league I've played in for the 20 or so years I've played ice hockey, from youth to adult leagues, it's that you're lucky in the vacation months to have double digit players on the bench, let alone line combinations. It's not worth the headache.

Then again I don't know the hockey situation you're in (mine is playing in PA/NJ) but that's just how it's always been for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to handle two or three dissenting players (with one really vocal one) who are new to a team in a league where the teams are assigned? It feels like I'm in a no-win situation, because I'm not captain by virtue of bringing the team together, or by virtue of knowing a lot of them. I'm the captain by virtue of being the only one willing to put up with the poo poo of talking to the league and carry the water bottles and poo poo. I've never even heard of people being pissed with fixing positions to begin with, to even have to have this argument where ice time is apparently a huge issue, more so than actual team play.

e:

shyduck posted:

I'm assuming this is for a spring/summer league. If it's anything like every summer league I've played in for the 20 or so years I've played ice hockey, from youth to adult leagues, it's that you're lucky in the vacation months to have double digit players on the bench, let alone line combinations. It's not worth the headache.

Then again I don't know the hockey situation you're in (mine is playing in PA/NJ) but that's just how it's always been for me.

It's a little more established than that, it's not quite a summer league. We generally have 4D and anywhere from 7-10 forwards per game. We definitely have enough people that even if we don't fix it ahead of time, we can get there and look at who is there and decide where everyone should play.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

shyduck posted:

you're lucky in the vacation months to have double digit players on the bench, let alone line combinations

Playing in Western PA, it's the same here. One of the teams I play on (for which I am also captain-by-default) has 16 skaters on the roster, and have had turnouts of 9 and 7 skaters for the first two games of the season.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Look Around You posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to handle two or three dissenting players (with one really vocal one) who are new to a team in a league where the teams are assigned? It feels like I'm in a no-win situation, because I'm not captain by virtue of bringing the team together, or by virtue of knowing a lot of them. I'm the captain by virtue of being the only one willing to put up with the poo poo of talking to the league and carry the water bottles and poo poo. I've never even heard of people being pissed with fixing positions to begin with, to even have to have this argument where ice time is apparently a huge issue, more so than actual team play.

a "captain" on a beer league team just handles the money and passes on messages from the league. If you didn't even put the team together I'd probably suggest against sending out that e-mail. Nobody likes losing every game, I'm sure somebody would agree with you if you just brought it up again while getting ready to play

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
lol why would anyone just want to roll one in one out in an organized game anyway?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

lol why would anyone just want to roll one in one out in an organized game anyway?

Because they're loving idiots who think that it means they'll get more equal ice time for them to lumber around the ice not being able to skate. I mentioned it before, but it's literally the worst player on the team and his friends the 2nd and 3rd worst players on the team bitching because if there is 3 pairs of wings and 2 centers that means there's less playing time for the wingers and that means that is bad, so we'll just go one in-one out because who the gently caress knows. I don't even care that they're not good, other than the fact that they're not good, and bitching about poo poo that literally every other organized team I've ever played on does for no good reason other than they may get like one less minute on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth my energy to fight them. Maybe a vote? But everyone on my teams now is chill so it never comes up so idk

But yeah that email wouldn't work for me. I would reply "just tell me what you think I should do" as that's the best way to humor you without wasting time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to handle two or three dissenting players (with one really vocal one) who are new to a team in a league where the teams are assigned?

xzzy 'em

Topoisomerase posted:

This is a sure-fire way to play 4 forwards.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 14, 2014

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Look Around You posted:

...because if there is 3 pairs of wings and 2 centers...

Just pick up another guy to play center...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
In my experience a lot of people don't want to play center because it's more skating and you have to take faceoffs. It's weird, but really it's their own stupid fault if they'll only play wing and you end up with an odd number of wing/center combos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Center rules, I have more fun there than anywhere else. You basically get to support every role so it's like playing all positions at once!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bgreman posted:

Playing in Western PA, it's the same here. One of the teams I play on (for which I am also captain-by-default) has 16 skaters on the roster, and have had turnouts of 9 and 7 skaters for the first two games of the season.

Not to worry. I heard Western PA just got 23 more guys available for summer league.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Because they're loving idiots who think that it means they'll get more equal ice time for them to lumber around the ice not being able to skate. I mentioned it before, but it's literally the worst player on the team and his friends the 2nd and 3rd worst players on the team bitching because if there is 3 pairs of wings and 2 centers that means there's less playing time for the wingers and that means that is bad, so we'll just go one in-one out because who the gently caress knows. I don't even care that they're not good, other than the fact that they're not good, and bitching about poo poo that literally every other organized team I've ever played on does for no good reason other than they may get like one less minute on the ice.

Honestly, I'd just assign lines in the locker room (come in with a sheet of paper or something if you want). If Mr. Eventime throws a poo poo fit then tell him to find someone to trade with because this isn't drop-in.

I just don't know anyone who's been playing for more than like three years that would bitch about ice time. Unless there's a guy or two on the team who really are seeing a lot more ice time than the rest, this kind of thing usually evens out. If there's a serious incongruity, most guys either wind up quitting the team, or taking hero shifts like…pretty much everyone else in beer league.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Honestly, I'd just assign lines in the locker room (come in with a sheet of paper or something if you want). If Mr. Eventime throws a poo poo fit then tell him to find someone to trade with because this isn't drop-in.

I just don't know anyone who's been playing for more than like three years that would bitch about ice time. Unless there's a guy or two on the team who really are seeing a lot more ice time than the rest, this kind of thing usually evens out. If there's a serious incongruity, most guys either wind up quitting the team, or taking hero shifts like…pretty much everyone else in beer league.

This is the issue. I'm pretty sure this is literally his first year playing. There wasn't any huge disparity in ice time between people when we were rolling in lines/positions either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set lines is such a fundamental part of hockey I think three years is too long. That's poo poo a functioning adult should be able to process in the locker room before their first game. If they want a rolling bench that bad they can go play rat hockey.

:smith:

I'm totally not the first guy who ever got kicked off a team, go find that guy's name and use that one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My LTP class was rolling lines during the scrimmage. Once we entered the Bronze league, we had assigned lines like every beer league team in history. You can't build chemistry if you're constantly playing with different lines every game/shift. That guy is a dickhole.

I've played with the same center for 3 years now even across multiple teams, minus his inevitable seasonly suspension for punching someone.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
In the two leagues I've done I've been on basically different lines nearly every game. That said, we try to set the lines at the start of the game and keep them as much as possible. Hell, it's the first thing the coed leauge team actually discusses during warm-ups.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
After our game last night we had an intense argument about ice time. As in, gently caress YOU I AM IN WORSE SHAPE THAN YOU ARE I NEED A REST SO YOU GET OUT THERE versus NO I AM IN WORSE SHAPE AND I DONT EVEN BACKCHECK SO YOU GET OUT THERE

it was funny

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

I'm totally not the first guy who ever got kicked off a team, go find that guy's name and use that one.

But yours is so much more fun to say.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft that poo poo is unpronounceable, I can't count the number of times I've jumped into an online game and had the "how do you say your name" conversation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

What's so unpronounceable about Ekszy?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If your buddy says "hey let's sign up for ball hockey" and you go "haha ball hockey yeah sure" and you're one of those guys who always takes a puck off the top of the skate on the ice, you should probably not go "haha ball hockey who needs pads".

In other news, there is not a single division of hockey in Saskatoon, ice or ball, that does not have like, ex-Junior B players giving 110% on every shift. There is no team for out of shape guys who want a slower game bookended by beer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We set lines with whoever shows up, usually with about 1 min left in warm ups

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My LTP class was rolling lines during the scrimmage. Once we entered the Bronze league, we had assigned lines like every beer league team in history. You can't build chemistry if you're constantly playing with different lines every game/shift. That guy is a dickhole.

I've played with the same center for 3 years now even across multiple teams, minus his inevitable seasonly suspension for punching someone.

My coed team sets lines in like the last 10 seconds of warmup. People may get into a groove playing a particular position so with consistent attendance we may end up with the same lines a couple games in a row, but it's not set in stone. I honestly kind of like this, it's nice to get to play with almost everyone and feel like (hopefully) I can make something happen with any of them.

bewbies posted:

After our game last night we had an intense argument about ice time. As in, gently caress YOU I AM IN WORSE SHAPE THAN YOU ARE I NEED A REST SO YOU GET OUT THERE versus NO I AM IN WORSE SHAPE AND I DONT EVEN BACKCHECK SO YOU GET OUT THERE

it was funny

Ha! I love those arguments the best. All-olds hockey rules.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 14, 2014

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Pleads posted:

If your buddy says "hey let's sign up for ball hockey" and you go "haha ball hockey yeah sure" and you're one of those guys who always takes a puck off the top of the skate on the ice, you should probably not go "haha ball hockey who needs pads".

In other news, there is not a single division of hockey in Saskatoon, ice or ball, that does not have like, ex-Junior B players giving 110% on every shift. There is no team for out of shape guys who want a slower game bookended by beer.

You can have my old tiny soccer shinguards once I buy some giant monster ones that actually go to my knee

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

We set lines with whoever shows up, usually with about 1 min left in warm ups
We do that too, for our work team we have pretty set lines for forwards since we've been playing together for years but depending on who shows up we'll rotate them around somewhat.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

I don't know what those pictures are supposed to be. I just see a yellow dot and a red dot on a sheet of white.

As far as lines go, Doctor Butts' team sets up lines in the locker room. My other team just figures it out on the bench at puck drop. That team only ever runs the same 4 defensemen, so it's easy for that since we play with the same pairings each week.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Alternate idea: make Whiny McIcetime team captain, his buddies the assistants and let him get a taste of what real adult league problems are- I assume you have to collect the money and there are 3 guys who "will pay next week" this far into the season

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

EvilTwig posted:

Alternate idea: make Whiny McIcetime team captain, his buddies the assistants and let him get a taste of what real adult league problems are- I assume you have to collect the money and there are 3 guys who "will pay next week" this far into the season

"Hey, I'm a little shy this month, Can I just give you $10 today? I'll have the rest in 2 weeks."

"Yes, I think I should have equal ice time to the guys that payed in full already, why do you ask?"

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

EvilTwig posted:

This. I captained/organized for my team's last two seasons. I had great help from some veteran players on the team but boy was it still stressful. Making sure everyone knows the schedule, ensuring a goalie (we didn't have a full time one), establishing lines, coaching newer players, managing the group during a game, and probably more that I blocked out.

One of my players got in a fight in our third game. After I told him he had a six game suspension and fines, he went berserk. He got drunk and started sending me all of these crazy text message all through the night about how he goes to war for our team etc. etc. Then when he came back? We all go to the bar and he pulls a knife after getting in a fight with another drunk person. Holy poo poo what a hassle.

The only easy part was that we had full sponsorship. We only had $20/person to make sure I could bring a thirty rack to every game.

I'm playing on a buddy's team this summer. It's gonna be good: show up, play, drink, home. No hassle, no worries.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ is that guys name Rafi? Cause he sounds awesome.

MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Habibi posted:

Trip report: got on the ice for the first time in hockey skates (and maybe 4th time in last 15 years) at a s/p this morning. That was certainly a different experience. Most of my inline instincts are completely wrong - going backward is the only thing that seems to have transferred well, which surprised me. Can't stop worth a poo poo. Lots of fun. Definitely discovered muscles I never used in roller.
Went to my second skate today, having looked up Youtube videos on hockey stops (notably HowToHockey). Met a 63 year old guy in the locker room who'd started skating in his late 30s, and he provided some additional help and drills to help out in that regard. An hour later? Stopping at low to moderate speeds. Woohoo. Still having a hard time getting my edges in, so I look drunk and like I'm expending way too much effort with each stride, but I was expecting to spend most of today's session on my rear end, so there's that/.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

^^ is that guys name Rafi? Cause he sounds awesome.

MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every team needs it's criminal element, I suppose.

I'm working on next season's sponsorship. Here in Colorado we've gone full hippy and legalized weed. If I can get a joint sponsorship between our local pot shop and Chinese restaurant I can die happy. I want a jersey with a no joke giant pot leaf on it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

19 o'clock posted:

I'm working on next season's sponsorship. Here in Colorado we've gone full hippy and legalized weed. If I can get a joint sponsorship between our local pot shop and Chinese restaurant I can die happy. I want a jersey with a no joke giant pot leaf on it.

I see what u did thur

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

This is great. Just great. You should rename your team the Colorado Pot Leafs and wear a green and white color scheme. Everyone is number 420.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't want to be blunt, but you might want to weed out your sponsors a bit more. I'm not convinced they're going to be bowled over by the idea.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

19 o'clock posted:

This. I captained/organized for my team's last two seasons. I had great help from some veteran players on the team but boy was it still stressful. Making sure everyone knows the schedule, ensuring a goalie (we didn't have a full time one), establishing lines, coaching newer players, managing the group during a game, and probably more that I blocked out.

One of my players got in a fight in our third game. After I told him he had a six game suspension and fines, he went berserk. He got drunk and started sending me all of these crazy text message all through the night about how he goes to war for our team etc. etc. Then when he came back? We all go to the bar and he pulls a knife after getting in a fight with another drunk person. Holy poo poo what a hassle.

The only easy part was that we had full sponsorship. We only had $20/person to make sure I could bring a thirty rack to every game.

I'm playing on a buddy's team this summer. It's gonna be good: show up, play, drink, home. No hassle, no worries.

This is the ultimate beer league experience right here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make everyone on the team call it "weed league."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Make everyone on the team call it "weed league."

Why not just switch to inline jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

We've got a few teams like that here. A modified Kamloops blazers jersey and one team with a giant green pot leaf over Toronto jerseys. Somehow the process they used for the jersey lets them wear them inside out when they need a light color (light blue but almost white). Also both of these teams are really loving good.