Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

True enough, but in visual terms Godzilla himself is pretty much a big green blob, the design is largely featureless aside from the back spines and to compound it the action scenes are dark and he's generally wreathed in smoke. I preferred the Pacific Rim kaiju with all their glowing neon.

Also not that it matters, but I loved Monsters, so I was especially disappointed by this.

I hope this isn't backseat modding but Jesus c'mon man. You too good for the Godzilla thread or something? I'm trying to avoid reading discussion of it before I see it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

People always think they want to see more clear and more unobstructed shots of the entity the movie is trying to posit as imposing or scary, but they don't because most of the time it simply doesn't work. Cloverfield handled it beautifully, almost never overplaying their hand visually.

Cloverfield's an interesting example since it's an entry in a genre that's all about seeing the monster as much as possible. You ain't goin to see Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla so you can see brief snatches of random body parts of the monster, some weekly world news sasquatch photograph rear end bullshit.

(I really like Cloverfield and had no problem with its approach, to be clear - I'm just highly skeptical of "don't show the monster" as generalized advice.)

Are you uncertain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

schwenz posted:

You know what? New Jack city is still pretty badass.

Uh, yeah, was this ever in any doubt? Who made you think it wouldn't still be badass? Who did this to you?! Give me their name and I'll take care of it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only strike I can think of against Cloverfield is that I have friends who get motion sick watching the Bourne Identity, and so I'm pretty sure Cloverfield would give them a seizure. Otherwise it's a perfect Godzilla movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I watched both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns and was pretty surprised how well they hold off even with my rose tinted glasses. I remember they came at the beautiful time when I was starting to read all sorts of mythology. I also started playing Age of Mythology which came out a year after The Mummy Returns which made me really love mythology. (Got the extended edition off Steam, AOM still owns all the bones) But anyway yeah, the Mummy love most of the cast, the set pieces, the score, and the pulpy story/action.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
You ever watch a comedy that you don't find funny but still enjoy? I've been watching the original Dukes of Hazzard, and although it doesn't exactly make me bust a gut, I find it irresistibly charming.

Gatts posted:

He had a good first series that was fun written by Fabian Niceza. If a little odd. He's basically a charming thief, could be cool if they put in a bit of Indy or Han. Here's hoping it's something like a Gambit and Rogue go on a trip with his past in the Thieves Guild catching up with him and his ex-wife Belladonna hunting him down. Lower key than world demolishing stuff.
I remember really liking that series; I still have it, albeit stored away somewhere in some anonymous box. Nicieza is really hit or miss for me. On the one hand, he epitomizes the lameness of 90s comics, but on the other, I really don't think anybody should ever write the Thunderbolts book but him. I loved the way he kept all the main characters active and relevant even when they weren't necessarily on the team.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

achillesforever6 posted:

I watched both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns and was pretty surprised how well they hold off even with my rose tinted glasses. I remember they came at the beautiful time when I was starting to read all sorts of mythology. I also started playing Age of Mythology which came out a year after The Mummy Returns which made me really love mythology. (Got the extended edition off Steam, AOM still owns all the bones) But anyway yeah, the Mummy love most of the cast, the set pieces, the score, and the pulpy story/action.

My friend used to live with a student from China, and apparently the Mummy franchise is huge over there. Every now and then, he used to compliment my friend by saying he looked "just like handsome star Brendan Frasier from The Mummy Comes". It always made my day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CloseFriend posted:

on the other, I really don't think anybody should ever write the Thunderbolts book but him. I loved the way he kept all the main characters active and relevant even when they weren't necessarily on the team.

What about Busiek?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

schwenz posted:

You know what? New Jack city is still pretty badass.

It's really great and the costumes are out of control.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

the last Gambit mini was fun and his costume was better than the 90's one (which is a very low bar, yeah). Chaning Tatum and Jonah Hill should do 21 Jump Street on Wolverine's new mutant school.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

No only that, but Gambit is the shittiest loving character, why the hell do people care so much? Gambit is just an awful relic of notoriously lovely 90s comics.

Having never read a comic besides Joe Kelly's Deadpool (and graphic novels, but they don't count here) I'll say you are right because I want to see Tatum make this character shine.

Also MUMMY chat- I like those movies. Returns is kind of a mess, but it's also really charming thanks to Brenden and Rachel. (John Hannah too!) not to mention the score is one of Silvestri's best (and my all time favorite score). Mummy 3 is terrible because none of the actors have any chemistry together. Brenden is as charming as a block of wood in that one.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 14, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Busiek?

Or Jeff Parker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did you guys here that Robert Orci got the new Trek movie? I think that sucks.

I also really dislike Star Trek on a whole, so I quite enjoyed the 2009 movie. But the writing for both were pretty bad. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was one of the worst things I've seen in a while. Into Darkness was also kinda bad, but at least Abrams knows how to directo actors and make a movie look pretty, plus it had some cool action scenes too. I have no idea what Orci is going to bring to the table here but I'm guessing it will be something with 35% more 9/11 metaphors.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

CelticPredator posted:

Did you guys here that Robert Orci got the new Trek movie? I think that sucks.

I also really dislike Star Trek on a whole, so I quite enjoyed the 2009 movie. But the writing for both were pretty bad. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was one of the worst things I've seen in a while. Into Darkness was also kinda bad, but at least Abrams knows how to directo actors and make a movie look pretty, plus it had some cool action scenes too. I have no idea what Orci is going to bring to the table here but I'm guessing it will be something with 35% more 9/11 metaphors.

It could be interesting, I'm curious to see what this rebooted franchise will turn into with less slick direction (I'm assuming, since as far as I know it will be his debut).

I'm hoping they move away from the ties to the old timeline, and especially the idea of fate tied to that timeline.

Nobody ever brings up Fringe or his older work when they talk about the dude. I forgot he worked on Xena.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Orci is a well-known 9/11 truther who put all the 9/11 subtext in the last Star Trek movie.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Corek posted:

Orci is a well-known 9/11 truther who put all the 9/11 subtext in the last Star Trek movie.

I thought he just said one time on Twitter that he was started to question the official story of 9/11. I disagree with that sentiment but it alone doesn't really make him a "truther". Did I miss something else?

It's weird, though, how he's supposed to be simulataneously a crazy left-wing truther but then also a crazy right-wing "'Merica" type when the Transformers films come up (not that you specifically said that, thouugh).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Pretty excited for Channing Tatum doing an awful Cajun accent. And you know it's going to be awful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty excited for Channing Tatum doing an awful Cajun accent. And you know it's going to be awful.

Anna Paquin needs to play Rogue in this movie. And by "play Rogue" I mean talk like Sookie Stackhouse but moreso.

I want their dialogue together to require subtitles.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought he just said one time on Twitter that he was started to question the official story of 9/11. I disagree with that sentiment but it alone doesn't really make him a "truther". Did I miss something else?

It's weird, though, how he's supposed to be simulataneously a crazy left-wing truther but then also a crazy right-wing "'Merica" type when the Transformers films come up (not that you specifically said that, thouugh).
Mos Def is a truther too, which seems weird since everything else I've read makes him sound like a pretty down-to-Earth guy.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm hoping they move away from the ties to the old timeline, and especially the idea of fate tied to that timeline.
Well, he has a lot of knowledge of the desired aesthetic already, since he helped create it, which I see as an auspicious sign. But like you I just really want to see something new. I enjoyed Into Darkness even as I recognized that it was a colossal waste of resources.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anna Paquin needs to play Rogue in this movie. And by "play Rogue" I mean talk like Sookie Stackhouse but moreso.

I want their dialogue together to require subtitles.
When I get better at arting I'm going to redesign all the X-Men characters I can think of. Wolverine will become Toshiro Mifune, Gambit will get a less ridiculous looking coat, Emma Frost will wear enough not to constantly get arrested, and Rogue will get Peg Bundy hair.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 14, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

No only that, but Gambit is the shittiest loving character, why the hell do people care so much? Gambit is just an awful relic of notoriously lovely 90s comics.

I wore Gambit pajamas when I was like 7 because Gambit threw exploding cards and card throwing is :krad:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I wore Gambit pajamas when I was like 7 because Gambit threw exploding cards and card throwing is :krad:
I want an X-Men movie where Gambit is Ricky Jay (who can throw a card into a watermelon in real life).

Hell, make it a Gambit & Bishop movie with Terry Crews.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At this point I really just want "Gambit and Rogue Talk To Each Other In Impenetrable Southern Accents For Two Hours".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I re-watched X-Men: First Class last night and forgot how solid it is. I'm excited for the new X movie now, especially after I've heard good whispers from people who have managed to see it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Since there's no better place for this.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CloseFriend posted:

Mos Def is a truther too, which seems weird since everything else I've read makes him sound like a pretty down-to-Earth guy.

He fooled Arthur Dent for many years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Excuse me, I think you mean Yasiin Bey :colbert:

It was confusing as hell when he was in Dexter because he was credited as Mos Def in some episodes and Yasiin Bey in others.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I need to hurry up and change my name to Cat Stevens while that window is still open.

... Is it still open? I really have dawdled.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Discount Viscount posted:

I need to hurry up and change my name to Cat Stevens while that window is still open.

... Is it still open? I really have dawdled.
If not, you can still get Ron Artest.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Five Element Ninjas is a loving bonkers movie. :stare:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Five Element Ninjas is a loving bonkers movie. :stare:
It really is. It has a really weird plot for a kung fu flick. I think it has more false protagonists than it has actual major characters.

EDIT: I don't remember if I talked about it in the thread (which you should use more, since I wrote the thread specifically for Master of the Flying Guillotine, Golden Harvest, and Shaw Bros. :colbert: ), but if you want kung fu and weirdness, you can't beat Chang Cheh's Heaven and Hell.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It opens so normally, too, and then out of nowhere a dude cuts his own throat with a loving axe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw a trailer for that at the Alamo before the screening of 300: 2. I wanted to watch it but totally forgot the title.

Thank you.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus, there's a fight scene in this that consists of nothing but a guy getting stabbed in the taint over and over. And it doesn't kill him, but it rips his cock and balls off and you can see them hanging down by a flap of skin for the rest of the scene. :stonk:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"After the emotionally fraught final moments, just as we are savoring the implications of what has just happened, the screen fades to black and we immediately get a big credit for Bart the Bear. Now Bart is one helluva bear (I loved him in the title role of The Bear), but this credit in this place is a spectacularly bad idea" ~ Roger Ebert

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

"After the emotionally fraught final moments, just as we are savoring the implications of what has just happened, the screen fades to black and we immediately get a big credit for Bart the Bear. Now Bart is one helluva bear (I loved him in the title role of The Bear), but this credit in this place is a spectacularly bad idea" ~ Roger Ebert

Please tell me this is in regard to the above fight sequence.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Pfffffhahaha the ninjas have a spy in the kung fu school and she nearly gets made by the protagonists like 3 or 4 separate times but they just do not make the connection for some reason

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Jesus, there's a fight scene in this that consists of nothing but a guy getting stabbed in the taint over and over. And it doesn't kill him, but it rips his cock and balls off and you can see them hanging down by a flap of skin for the rest of the scene. :stonk:

One more film I don't have to see.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

One more film I don't have to see.

Because it won't match up to the reality of the situation?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

echoplex posted:

Because it won't match up to the reality of the situation?

Probably just reminds him too much of his honeymoon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but the director of Searching for Sugarman, Malik Bendjelloul, has died at 36.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/13/malik-bendjelloul-dead_n_5319001.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

What a drat shame, Sugarman was an outstanding documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sheldrake posted:

Probably just reminds him too much of his honeymoon.

I'd rather just leave it as a beautiful fantasy.

• Locked thread