Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Speaking of Nancy does anyone have the strip with Video Vince? or whatever his name was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Squishy posted:

They're swans, you idiot. And no, they mate for life.
Who ever described geese as romantic? They're maybe the least romantic of all waterfowl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiKBwQewWw

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hel posted:

Speaking of Nancy does anyone have the strip with Video Vince? or whatever his name was?

No, but I have this:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Droodles (September 1, 1954)

Start of a rat race or field generator on Hoth?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Virtual Vince?

Viiiiince!

Guy Gilchrist is a goddamn racist.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah, the kid just has overstylized buckteeth. Way to reach there, buddy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Assuming that a character with buck teeth is Japanese in fact makes you the racist.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Assuming that a character with buck teeth is Japanese in fact makes you the racist.

I just want more reasons to hate Gilchrist. Plus I know my WWII propaganda.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 13, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How old is the character Funky Winkerbean supposed to be anyway? And in how poor a health do you have to be to loving pass out while walking a treadmill?
This is definitely gearing up for more misery, right?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Calaveron posted:

How old is the character Funky Winkerbean supposed to be anyway? And in how poor a health do you have to be to loving pass out while walking a treadmill?
This is definitely gearing up for more misery, right?

If we're pretending time is actually moving forward, all of the characters from Funky's generation are on the other side of 50 by now, but Funky looks at least as old as his assisted living dad, which is probably what scared the hell out of him enough to get a trainer in the first place.

If he isn't doomed, the Misery God is toying with him for idle sport.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

:actors:

:popculture:

Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

talk to your kids about mouse-huffing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EasyEW posted:

If we're pretending time is actually moving forward, all of the characters from Funky's generation are on the other side of 50 by now, but Funky looks at least as old as his assisted living dad, which is probably what scared the hell out of him enough to get a trainer in the first place.

If he isn't doomed, the Misery God is toying with him for idle sport.

My father is 57 and overweight and diabetic and he looks ages younger than this guy and he hasn't stopped working a single day of his life.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This would be a much more interesting strip, if that were true.

catlord posted:

No, but I have this:

Still makes me smile. :)

Looks like we have a theme week happening in Luann.

Things are shaping up to be super depressing!

Apartment 3-G

Did we just witness Tommie losing her virginity to a horse? :crossarms:

I know I harp on this a lot, but really Bolle? You decided to have Tommie smiling during the tragic abused horse conversation?

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If that treadmill was going at any decent speed, Funky should at least be pretty badly bruised.

Of course, pain is the status quo in Westview, so who knows if he noticed.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Is there a lot of money to be made volunteering at a mission?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 11th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 10th 1983)

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 6th 2009)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think I've read too much classic Mark Trail, because I didn't realize the swans were talking about the humans. Oh well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This was actually funny. A good foob that wasn't about Lynn's depressing family life.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Calaveron posted:

Is there a lot of money to be made volunteering at a mission?

Hell no.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

It's a new storyline starting from the beginning, so hopefully that means we'll be able to figure out what's going on!

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Yipes. :ohdear:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Heavenly Nostrils really drags when you realize that 90% of the time, the punchline is "Unicorn! Tee hee hee!"

Geech doesn't like you.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This isn't the first time that a minor was traumatized by Brooke's comics.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, gross! She's got her hand all up in his bloody bandage!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've completely forgotten why 9 Chickweed Lane is set in the 40s right now.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

GorfZaplen posted:

I've completely forgotten why 9 Chickweed Lane is set in the 40s right now.

Apparently this is what happened to gran's first hubby after Normandy while she was off seducing German POWs for intelligence. I think we've been dealing with his head wound for four drat months now.

Edit: Even worse, since last November

Kammat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 14, 2014

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Cosima posted:

So I went to the TCAF opening plenary on friday. Both Lynn Johnston and Kate Beaton were speaking about their work and their time in the industry.

I have a bad memory.

As a result, I've spent something like two years vaguely convinced that "Hark! A Vagrant" is drawn by Hawkeye.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kammat posted:

Apparently this is what happened to gran's first hubby after Normandy while she was off seducing German POWs for intelligence. I think we've been dealing with his head wound for four drat months now.

Edit: Even worse, since last November

So, I thought the color stuff was in the present, and the black and white stuff was flashback? It's honestly really confusing.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

I was looking for a good film quote to sum up my feelings about this loving storyline and I think this is just about perfect:

*ahem*

Stick your cock up her rear end, you mother-loving worthless cocksucker!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Curt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Really awkward

Retail

The sales people in this store are all remarkably bad at sales-ing.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

How did that happen within a day?

Dustin

Why is the kid talking into a flashlight?

On the Fastrack

That makes her manlier than you in the crypto-entomological world.

Safe Havens

Clone yourself with mad science and you can be at both places at once? What else are you using that PhD genetics for?

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Clone yourself with mad science and you can be at both places at once? What else are you using that PhD genetics for?

Okay, I'll finally ask--why would a seemingly-unathletic guy with no apparent connection to or involvement in basketball be a candidate for any basketball team, much less the American national team? Is this just bizarro authorial fiat or is there some backstory I'm unaware of?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

ukonvasara posted:

Okay, I'll finally ask--why would a seemingly-unathletic guy with no apparent connection to or involvement in basketball be a candidate for any basketball team, much less the American national team? Is this just bizarro authorial fiat or is there some backstory I'm unaware of?
He's actually a professional basketball player for Italy. Luckily there's actually a no-kidding Safe Havens diary that explains what happens every week:

Safe Havens posted:

On the same week that Don's professional basketball career came to an end, Dave's got a tremendous boost.
Don's contract with the Havens Fastracks wasn't renewed, and he elected not to pursue other avenues such as playing overseas. Dave could have gotten him on the Florence team, but Don had tired of the lifestyle wanted to move on.
This was days before the announcement was made of the 29 players invited to try out for the US national team that will compete for the FIBA championship this year and the Olympic squad in 2016. Dave, despite his passing skills that led Havens U. to the NCAA title, was never given an opportunity in the pros due to his defensive liabilities and history of knee problems. Now, it seems as if someone (I.e., a certain college coach) may finally have an idea of how to use Dave's skills effectively at the highest level.
The tryouts are in late July, in Las Vegas.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 14, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

So, I thought the color stuff was in the present, and the black and white stuff was flashback? It's honestly really confusing.

The black and white is reprints from the first time the story ran.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

catlord posted:

But I could have sworn there were strips where some of the panels were color and some were black and white? Maybe I was hallucinating?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ukonvasara posted:

Midnight Moth posted:

He's actually a professional basketball player for Italy.

Yeah, just because he's a pasty, muscle-less, sub-6' doofus who's constantly wearing sunglasses, that's no reason to assume he's not a loving slam jam wizard. This is a Holbrook strip, after all.

catlord posted:

That was early in the storyline. Now, the black-and-white segments are "It Happened One Night" hallucinations caused by what's-his-name's massive head trauma. Ah, Brooke McEldowney, that's his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

But I could have sworn there were strips where some of the panels were color and some were black and white? Maybe I was hallucinating?

Yeah, those are a mix of the old strips and the new ones. Sadly, you are not hallucinating.

Edit: ^^ Oh, yeah, also that.

• Locked thread