Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

SeaTard posted:

Pretty easy actually. Start with Nantes, raid south to grab a Sayyid child, integrate them into the bloodline. While doing this, county conquest hop your way over to Persia. Prepared invasion of Vandad, and then change to Zoro.

Would a matrilinially-married Sayyid still pass off the trait to his child, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

So the HRE is currently being ruled by a regent, why can I not press my wife's Weak Claim on the HRE? I can press the claims of my male courtiers but not her's.

If the title is pure agnatic, then IIRC women can never have their claims pressed against it.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Still no Pope bugfix? :(

edit: also huh, apparently you can force yourself to become a republic in ironman http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?775515-Is-it-possible-to-become-a-republic-on-ironman-mode

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 14, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It looks like CK2+ is foundering so, is there some other mod I can get? Really I would like something that, at the very least, does about what there gender equality mod does (no start absolute cognatic, but women can be on councils and lead armies under Cognatic)

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone use the Your Personal Castle mod and, if so, is it compatible with HIP? I wanna sperg and build a pretty castle :(

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

DStecks posted:

If the title is pure agnatic, then IIRC women can never have their claims pressed against it.

Oh whoops, that was it. :doh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

hellsjudge posted:

Would a matrilinially-married Sayyid still pass off the trait to his child, though?

Yep! The issue is that you can't force a Muslim to matri-marry, which is why you grab one as a kid. As you raise them, they'll hopefully convert culture+religion, and then you release them from prison once they become an adult. If they fully converted, 9 out of 10 times they'll immediately accept your invitation to join your court, at which point you marry them into your family.

Dwarf posted:

Does anyone use the Your Personal Castle mod and, if so, is it compatible with HIP? I wanna sperg and build a pretty castle :(

Just from a cursory glance, it looks really overpowered. Republic-style holdings for everyone is just bonkers, that's a ton of income/retinues/troops.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

paranoid randroid posted:

So is anyone else experiencing an issue with the Beta launcher where you cannot disable a mod once it has been enabled?

Isn't that fixed in the new beta from yesterday?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Looks like CK2+ is now on life support: the devs have largely burnt out and quit. Unless some people pick it up I think it's officially dead. The real shame is that I cannot bring myself to play vanilla CK2 or any of the vanilla-light mods. A real shame.

I know it's a free mod and all, but this seems kind of sloppy to me. I guess they never really added anything that substantial (or added questionable things like the map) to the mod anyway, but still. You could at least release a compatch, even Wiz managed to pull those off at the end of his tenure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrPop posted:

So I was just clicking around on red skulls to see if I could get my game to crash, and I found something kinda cool.

This is my current ruler's father, Alexios II, who died fighting some random dude in service to the Seljuks or Fatimids or whatever.

This is my current ruler who succeeded him, Arsenios II:

Who apparently brooks no poo poo and proceeded to hunt down and kill the guy who killed his father at some point or another, unbeknownst to me (admittedly, it wasn't single combat):

Komnenodoukai don't forget, breh.

Erm ... Idris ibn Shujah is not Idris banu Qubayb. Arsenios just hunted down and killed some random dude for being named Idris.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jedit posted:

Erm ... Idris ibn Shujah is not Idris banu Qubayb. Arsenios just hunted down and killed some random dude for being named Idris.
ibn Shujah is his patronymic. Notice the dynasty name over on the right. He's a banu Qubayb, all right.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Ahaha, I spent years building up these intricate plans to secure a claim on the Byzantine Empire and now the eldest son of the basileus just straight up accepts an invitation to my court.

I was roadblocked by the fact no claimant wanted to leave their lovely baronies they are heirs to, but this guy just walks out of Constantinople like it's nothing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BioMe posted:

Ahaha, I spent years building up these intricate plans to secure a claim on the Byzantine Empire and now the eldest son of the basileus just straight up accepts an invitation to my court.
Having an indicator on whether a character would come to your court if bribed, like in the invite to plot interface would be so useful. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioMe posted:

I was roadblocked by the fact no claimant wanted to leave their lovely baronies they are heirs to, but this guy just walks out of Constantinople like it's nothing.

Heh, sounds like some jaded fop decided to go see how the other half lives. Could be fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Follow-up to my merchant republic questions, how long does it take one to start making you money after you create it? In my past game I never saw a real profit increase after making one, but I don't remember how long afterward I kept playing, so... Yeah. When does it become worth it to have a vassal that by default really doesn't like you?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Roland Jones posted:

Follow-up to my merchant republic questions, how long does it take one to start making you money after you create it? In my past game I never saw a real profit increase after making one, but I don't remember how long afterward I kept playing, so... Yeah. When does it become worth it to have a vassal that by default really doesn't like you?

They have to build trade posts, which are expensive and limited by technology, so they can take a while to keep going. They don't seem to prioritize trade posts, either, but eventually it's worth it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Samurai posted:

They have to build trade posts, which are expensive and limited by technology, so they can take a while to keep going. They don't seem to prioritize trade posts, either, but eventually it's worth it.

Alright. Well, my ruler is in her early twenties and I just turned Fars into a merchant republic, so hopefully it'll be worth it soon. At the least taking Fars also let me form the Kingdom of Persia (I was just under the necessary amount of territory), there are no competing republics in the area, and it's not like I wanted that land personally anyway (I changed the mod so that Persepolis is built in Shiraz rather than Fars since that's closer to its actual location, hence the devs, well, putting Persepolis there).

Having fun installing secondary Karens in the best provinces of the various Persian kingdoms and giving them duchies; when I finally form the empire I'm going to follow that up with kingdoms so that the empire and every kingdom within it is ruled by a Karen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat Samurai posted:

A doge is also often richer than a feudal ruler, because he has the undiminished city income and his manor income. Combine that with the much higher possible taxes, and even the fact that he only pays 50% of the tax rate as a patrician will still make him a better taxpayer than some count or duke. Especially if you have no feudal taxes of course.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

Strudel Man posted:

ibn Shujah is his patronymic. Notice the dynasty name over on the right. He's a banu Qubayb, all right.

Strudel Man's got it. The patronymic name doesn't show up in the "killed by" popup, but the character full-view will show it. I promise you that Arsenios whacked the right Idris. :)

PrinceRandom posted:

It looks like CK2+ is foundering so, is there some other mod I can get? Really I would like something that, at the very least, does about what there gender equality mod does (no start absolute cognatic, but women can be on councils and lead armies under Cognatic)

I'm also a CK2+ refugee and I'm finding HIP to be quite enjoyable. I believe they have some form of gender equality module included in the pack, but I have yet to use it.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 14, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Torrannor posted:

A doge is also often richer than a feudal ruler, because he has the undiminished city income and his manor income. Combine that with the much higher possible taxes, and even the fact that he only pays 50% of the tax rate as a patrician will still make him a better taxpayer than some count or duke. Especially if you have no feudal taxes of course.

Doesn't the trade value also increase the taxes collected by cities in the provinces they have been built in, and thus helping even their counts develop their own holdings faster?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hamburger Test posted:

Doesn't the trade value also increase the taxes collected by cities in the provinces they have been built in, and thus helping even their counts develop their own holdings faster?

No, that's the City Infrastructure tech. But trade zones value increases city income.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

Still no Pope bugfix? :(

edit: also huh, apparently you can force yourself to become a republic in ironman http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?775515-Is-it-possible-to-become-a-republic-on-ironman-mode

This is amazing and I'm trying it right now.

e: Trip report: tried it in Brittany at the Stanford Bridge start, got a game over. Maybe it's because Konan II's heir is a bastard and 9 years old?

SeaTard posted:

Yep! The issue is that you can't force a Muslim to matri-marry, which is why you grab one as a kid. As you raise them, they'll hopefully convert culture+religion, and then you release them from prison once they become an adult. If they fully converted, 9 out of 10 times they'll immediately accept your invitation to join your court, at which point you marry them into your family.

Ah right, yeah I've educated a Muslim to convert before but it seems the conversion rate for my kinsmen in my current game is very low (I had them set up with a Cathar tutor and they never converted.) Is it because my Norse MA is at 100?

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 14, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm not sure I get what I'm supposed to do when it comes to my own holdings.

Is it Capital Duchy, all Counties in that, plus whatever else I want, or Capital County and all holdings within THAT? (Plus whatever else I want)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serperoth posted:

Is it Capital Duchy, all Counties in that, plus whatever else I want, or Capital County and all holdings within THAT? (Plus whatever else I want)

All holdings in your capital county, then all counties in your capital duchy. If you still have not reached your demesne limit, add wealthy counties to the mix or look for a better capital.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hellsjudge posted:

Yes! Ironman Republic of Ceylon, here I come! :dance: Thanks for linking that thread WilliamAnderson.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Torrannor posted:

No, that's the City Infrastructure tech. But trade zones value increases city income.

I believe that's what I meant.

Even outside the republic, the city income is increased for baron level cities when a trade post is present, who then pay part of that in taxes to the feudal lord, I think?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

All holdings in your capital county, then all counties in your capital duchy. If you still have not reached your demesne limit, add wealthy counties to the mix or look for a better capital.

Okay got it. Gonna get to work on that when I actually get Paris I suppose (playing as the Umayyads, current capital is Leon).

Additional question: My current retinues are all Heavy Infantry and Archers (Most are 400HI/100A, with some 100HI/400A in the mix for better numbers). Are Camel Warriors worth it? I was thinking of grabbing a couple of 500-unit stacks of that retinue when I have the space.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Dwarf posted:

the castle mod should be compatible with everything as it doesn't touch any vanilla files, everything is in its own unique files. works fine for me with HIP

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yes! Ironman Republic of Ceylon, here I come! :dance: Thanks for linking that thread WilliamAnderson.

It's not working for me :(.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fuligin posted:

Somebody with modding talent, please, just rip out the faction system and make it a separate mod, It's all I desire. :(

I was thinking about that years ago but UGH do you have any idea how many faction hooks there are?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hellsjudge posted:

It's not working for me :(.

Really? drat. :( Well I'm heading off to bed, so I haven't yet been able to try it out myself, although I'll give it a whirl tomorrow to see if I can get it working, I guess. (and try not to get my hopes up, there..)

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Serperoth posted:

I actually try to fill out my capital country with baronies: not only do your personal levies all form up in the same place but the various advisor tasks, such as raising taxes or growing levies, apply to all holdings in the county so long as you own them.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Serperoth posted:

Get as many counties as possible, holding only one barony in each. Of course try to get counties with as many holdings as possible.

Since feudal lords usually only pay very little to no taxes, your primary income is from bishops and mayors, so you want to have as many of them as possible. Plus they all provide levies that cannot revolt against you and count against any faction strength.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm going for something like that in my current game. Have my capital in Shiraz (would be Esfahan but one of VIET's mods lets Zoroastrians do something special) and am planning on holding as much of the duchies of Esfahan and Hamadan personally; two seven-holding provinces, one six, three fives, and two four-holding provinces in two duchies. That's quite a few cities and religious holdings under you. As a bonus it's pretty close to the center of the Persian Empire, so it feels more appropriate than Khiva did. Though Persepolis being there helps too.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BioMe posted:

Have you checked if he's born in the purple? If not, then even if he's the eldest son, he could easily be tenth in the succession or something if he's got younger siblings all born in the purple. That would explain why he accepted the invitation.

No matter what, he'll still get a claim, though, but probably not a strong one.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

hellsjudge posted:

e: Trip report: tried it in Brittany at the Stanford Bridge start, got a game over. Maybe it's because Konan II's heir is a bastard and 9 years old?

Ah right, yeah I've educated a Muslim to convert before but it seems the conversion rate for my kinsmen in my current game is very low (I had them set up with a Cathar tutor and they never converted.) Is it because my Norse MA is at 100?

Brittany was also my attempt, I did some shenanigans though, legitimized my bastard son, was forced to abdicate to him before making him rebel, then I abdicated with him to my original guy using the strategy suggested and I ended up as the Merchant Republic of Brittany. Lost the election though because my heir's prestige was in the toilet after being forced to abdicate.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait what

Are you running any mods because if not, that's new, and that's awesome. When I formed Welsh Britannia it did no such thing :allears:

I'm not running any mods, so it must be a new addition. It's nice and flavorful and I think the game would definitely benefit from having more of this sort of thing. At the moment the only instances of titles changing names include Pomerania, where all the counties have different names under Pomeranian rulers and non-Pomeranian ones, Bretagne changing into Bergantangland under Norse rulers, Hungary becoming Avaria under an Avar ruler, and Scotland becoming Alba under Welsh rule.

Oh, and Finland becoming Suomi under a Finnish ruler and Russia becoming Garthariki under a Norse ruler so... yeah, actually there's quite a few instances of it in the game already.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Have you checked if he's born in the purple? If not, then even if he's the eldest son, he could easily be tenth in the succession or something if he's got younger siblings all born in the purple. That would explain why he accepted the invitation.

No matter what, he'll still get a claim, though, but probably not a strong one.

He is born in purple and even if he wasn't he's only got a sister.

He has a bunch of traits opposing his father's, so it's just the most politically important person right now going "no gently caress you dad" and throwing a wrench at the world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any suggestions for mods that really mess with the mechanics of the game? They don't necessarily have to be good, I've just had an idea for a mod based on King of Dragon Pass kicking around in my head and I'm curious about how far you can push the system before I start planning anything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ratpick posted:

I'm not running any mods, so it must be a new addition. It's nice and flavorful and I think the game would definitely benefit from having more of this sort of thing. At the moment the only instances of titles changing names include Pomerania, where all the counties have different names under Pomeranian rulers and non-Pomeranian ones, Bretagne changing into Bergantangland under Norse rulers, Hungary becoming Avaria under an Avar ruler, and Scotland becoming Alba under Welsh rule.

Oh, and Finland becoming Suomi under a Finnish ruler and Russia becoming Garthariki under a Norse ruler so... yeah, actually there's quite a few instances of it in the game already.

Provinces in Spain and Ireland change based on the culture controlling them as well. Cordoba/Qurtubah, for example.

• Locked thread