Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

the yeti posted:

So I think I screwed up: I was trying to get a selection of extraneous followers staked out around my home to keep out the riffraff and couldn't find the "Set Residence" option in Extensible Follower Framework. Poked around a bit and found that I managed to get the 4.0 beta release rather than the 3.5 version and wondering if that might be the problem, or if maybe I've messed up installing the mod somehow. Any of you guys run into this?

Ed: the solution is actually to flip the menu style over to 'Dialogue' in the in-game configuration, then it shoes up. Must be a bug.

Ed 2: I think it may have been removed from the default menu in the version I have because it doesn't appear to work- if you set residence, then dismiss a follower, they just keep following you around (resuming movement if you've ordered them to Wait) and you get the vanilla follower dialogue choices. If you dismiss them from there, they go away.

All I wanted out of a follower mod was more than one follower and the ability to have them loiter where I choose :shobon:

Are you using the Classic menu? That default wheel dealie doesn't seem to have it, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jabarto posted:

Are you using the Classic menu? That default wheel dealie doesn't seem to have it, for some reason.

Yeah, Classic and Dialogue both show the residence option, but when I was testing just now it didn't seem to do anything (follower would just wander off when dismissed) unless I'm misunderstanding how it's supposed do work.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the yeti posted:

Yeah, Classic and Dialogue both show the residence option, but when I was testing just now it didn't seem to do anything (follower would just wander off when dismissed) unless I'm misunderstanding how it's supposed do work.

Might I suggest Dwemer Certified? Household guards is exactly what I use it for. :)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

the yeti posted:

All I wanted out of a follower mod was more than one follower and the ability to have them loiter where I choose :shobon:
Simple multiple followers & My Home Is Your Home.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Are there any good mods that add more / more interesting enchantments? Been browsing Nexus, and the very few additional enchantment mods I've seen look pretty... stupid. (Randomly shoot exploding chickens everywhere!?)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Bee posted:

I've got Hunterborn installed at the same time as a mod that gives alternate spell effects for fire, ice, and electricity. One of them is a chance of automatically cooking meat of a fallen animal. Will this conflict with Hunterborn's animal loot system at all?

The second mod if that helps.

Kinda. Hunterborn spawns items like meat, hide and alchemical ingredients out of thin air via scripting and aliases. The second mod you have probably changes the items that the animal itself has in it's container on death. Thankfully Hunterborn has a option when you access the carcass to "loot normally" or something, the cooked meat will be in that option.

But there should be no harmful conflicts if that's what you're worried about, just a bit akward and the two mods should by large just ignore eachother.

Edit: Just realized that the guy that made Hunterborn is a goon i think, maybe he'll swoop in and give a definitive answer.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

the yeti posted:

So I think I screwed up: I was trying to get a selection of extraneous followers staked out around my home to keep out the riffraff and couldn't find the "Set Residence" option in Extensible Follower Framework. Poked around a bit and found that I managed to get the 4.0 beta release rather than the 3.5 version and wondering if that might be the problem, or if maybe I've messed up installing the mod somehow. Any of you guys run into this?

Ed: the solution is actually to flip the menu style over to 'Dialogue' in the in-game configuration, then it shoes up. Must be a bug.

Ed 2: I think it may have been removed from the default menu in the version I have because it doesn't appear to work- if you set residence, then dismiss a follower, they just keep following you around (resuming movement if you've ordered them to Wait) and you get the vanilla follower dialogue choices. If you dismiss them from there, they go away.

Try using Amazing Follower Tweaks, it's much easier to use.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mustang posted:

Try using Amazing Follower Tweaks, it's much easier to use.

Is there any special process involved in swapping follower mods?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

the yeti posted:

Is there any special process involved in swapping follower mods?

The EFF beta might have an Uninstall option in its MCM. Beyond that, firing all followers and doing a "clean" save without any follower mods installed is a good idea.

Really the only truly safe option is to roll back to a save before you installed EFF or start a new game though. This goes for basically every mod.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So basically, I would like to know how to revive/reset/respawn a fallen/lost follower.

Specifically, I installed the Michael Rosen follower mod and recruited him and that was all fine and dandy but at some point while murdering my way through Fallglow or whatever it's called, I noticed that he'd disappeared. Now I don't know if he died or just glitched out of the game or what but either way, he was gone and I would rather prefer not to have to reload an earlier save and do all the fights and tedious between-fight exploring over again to get him back (I will if it comes down to it, but I'm reserving it as a last resort option for now), so I tried my hand at using console commands to bring him back, but when I finally did so after several failed attempts (I ultimately got results with the placeatme command), I found that my code-necromancy had gone awry and the version of him I got was screwed-up in that he was naked with only a sword equipped and wouldn't follow any follower commands other than the "go over there/do that" command.

Please help, I just want my poet friend and his cute quips back. :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

So basically, I would like to know how to revive/reset/respawn a fallen/lost follower.

Specifically, I installed the Michael Rosen follower mod and recruited him and that was all fine and dandy but at some point while murdering my way through Fallglow or whatever it's called, I noticed that he'd disappeared. Now I don't know if he died or just glitched out of the game or what but either way, he was gone and I would rather prefer not to have to reload an earlier save and do all the fights and tedious between-fight exploring over again to get him back (I will if it comes down to it, but I'm reserving it as a last resort option for now), so I tried my hand at using console commands to bring him back, but when I finally did so after several failed attempts (I ultimately got results with the placeatme command), I found that my code-necromancy had gone awry and the version of him I got was screwed-up in that he was naked with only a sword equipped and wouldn't follow any follower commands other than the "go over there/do that" command.

Please help, I just want my poet friend and his cute quips back. :(

You're probably going to have to go back to an earlier save to open up the console and get his RefID. Then get the save you're on right now and input prid [insert RefID here] then enter moveto player.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend a mod that makes combat a bit unpredictable again? (Not ASIS.) Just tired of the Power Attack - Stagger - Weak Attack - Power Attack - Stagger routine.
I tried looking at the most popular ones like Dual Combat Realism, Deadly Combat and the like, but it's either questionable design decisions like normal attacks staggering or 3 year old dirty edits that the author never cleans cause "uh, i don't wanna".

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Do. Not. Use. Duel Combat Realism. It is a loving garbage mod, period. Two really good options are both Ultimate Combat and Deadly Combat, with or without each mod author's other combat-related mods (both have one that adds dodging).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I get the feeling that the OP could use updating. iNeeds > RND, Deadly Combat > Duel, there's a bunch new really cool mods like Epic Gameplay Overhaul, guides to using the memory hack, guides to merged patches, how to use SkyProc, etc...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Iunnrais posted:

I get the feeling that the OP could use updating. iNeeds > RND, Deadly Combat > Duel, there's a bunch new really cool mods like Epic Gameplay Overhaul, guides to using the memory hack, guides to merged patches, how to use SkyProc, etc...

Scyantific is a cool guy. I'll bet if you write up the edits to certain sections and PM him with them he'd appreciate it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Scyantific posted:

You're probably going to have to go back to an earlier save to open up the console and get his RefID. Then get the save you're on right now and input prid [insert RefID here] then enter moveto player.
Yeah, just to clarify, from the Wiki entry on moveto:

quote:

moveto player: Teleports the targeted NPC to you. (Works similar to player.placeatme <BaseID> <#> but does not create a new reference of the base object.)
So moveto moves the existing object to you (if it still exists and hasn't been deleted), while placeatme creates a clone.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
OK, non-mod-related question (unless you consider DLC a mod, or it turns out to be a mod causing this): while stooging around Tel Mithryn looking for the steward, I came upon the corpse of Revus Sarvani, and, guessing that he wasn't supposed to be dead at that point, resurrected him via console. Since that point, his inventory hasn't renewed. Is he only supposed to have trade goods for the first one or two encounters, or is he broken? (It's been several days game-time, and I'm thinking closer to a week or more; I did make a Briar-Heart run back to the mainland, not to mention various wandering around the middle of the island and doing some side-quests.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

OK, non-mod-related question (unless you consider DLC a mod, or it turns out to be a mod causing this): while stooging around Tel Mithryn looking for the steward, I came upon the corpse of Revus Sarvani, and, guessing that he wasn't supposed to be dead at that point, resurrected him via console. Since that point, his inventory hasn't renewed. Is he only supposed to have trade goods for the first one or two encounters, or is he broken? (It's been several days game-time, and I'm thinking closer to a week or more; I did make a Briar-Heart run back to the mainland, not to mention various wandering around the middle of the island and doing some side-quests.)

I believe he just doesn't get much inventory.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I've got a weird problem.

I installed Win 8.1, installed an SSD for C: drive, redownloaded Steam, and did clean downloads of everything. FO:NV runs great and is stable for hours with ENB. However, with Skyrim, clean with just ENB and RealVision presets, I can only play for like 5-6 minutes before I get a scrambled BSOD (I can't even read the letters) and once got a red screen of death. I've got ATI R7 260X crossfired cards with the latest driver (checked this twice), over 16GB of memory, and 8 Core.

Any suggestions why Skyrim will BSOD or RSOD on me, but nothing else does? (Even FO:NV with ENB runs smoothly)

Edit: I made sure to set the video memory usage correctly and all that. Could I have figured it up wrong? Or maybe MO isn't loading the right .ini file?

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 16, 2014

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Gah! I'm baffled on what's causing my save game to constantly CTD.

This is a fresh new file that uses many mods. I use BOSS to sort my mods correctly and Wrye Bash to minimize conflicts, and as far as I know, there are no major ones. I also have protective measures such as all the applicable Unofficial Patches, SKSE, and Safety Load in place.

When the save file started out, things were going great. I fully expected the game to crash eventually with many mods in use, and indeed it would crash, but only after a great amount of gameplay. But now it is suddenly, seemingly randomly CTDing all the time. I seem to randomly crash anywhere, any time: zoning in to an area, checking the map, climbing a mountain slope, overhearing NPC chatter, or trying to ride the crazy Telvanni mushroom elevator. When I reload the save file and approach the problem area slightly differently, the CTD doesn't occur. I didn't remove or add any mods since beginning the save file. I didn't notice activating a trigger like traveling to a certain area, starting a quest, etc. where the problems began. I checked for save file bloat and my save files appear to be of regular size.

The usual suspects and troubleshooting methods aren't revealing the culprit. If the save file was acting funny from the start, I would have started over, but it functioned well until recently. What might be going on?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Probably a corrupted spawn point, nothing you can do till the cell resets. Go to a different dungeon.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Thing is, it happens in all sorts of zones; out in the wilderness, in houses, in the middle of cities. There is seemingly no pattern.

Do you think that sleeping in the qasmoke cell for a month would clear it up?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

50 Foot Ant posted:

I've got a weird problem.

I installed Win 8.1, installed an SSD for C: drive, redownloaded Steam, and did clean downloads of everything. FO:NV runs great and is stable for hours with ENB. However, with Skyrim, clean with just ENB and RealVision presets, I can only play for like 5-6 minutes before I get a scrambled BSOD (I can't even read the letters) and once got a red screen of death. I've got ATI R7 260X crossfired cards with the latest driver (checked this twice), over 16GB of memory, and 8 Core.

Any suggestions why Skyrim will BSOD or RSOD on me, but nothing else does? (Even FO:NV with ENB runs smoothly)

Edit: I made sure to set the video memory usage correctly and all that. Could I have figured it up wrong? Or maybe MO isn't loading the right .ini file?

Assuming all other checks have gotten nowhere. Try the windows event log to see if it has anything logged about something catastrophic failing at the time the system crashed. Hopefully you can track it to a driver or a chipset thing or something.

If that didn't get you anywhere you can try enabling the SKSE minidumps by putting

quote:

[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1
in your /data/skse/skse.ini file. The next time skyrim crashes skse will try and write a dmp file to your skyrim save directory. Upload the dmp file to a crash analyzer like this one. It will spit out a lot of gibberish but if you are lucky it might have a helpful clue like a mention of enb or something instead of all generic garbage. Dmp files aren't meant for users but they can once in a while solve really out there problems.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mizuti posted:

Thing is, it happens in all sorts of zones; out in the wilderness, in houses, in the middle of cities. There is seemingly no pattern.

Do you think that sleeping in the qasmoke cell for a month would clear it up?

I thought it was just in one spot, if it's seemingly random then it's probably something else.

Do you use the SKSE memory fix?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The memory fix is included in the latest edition of SKSE, right? I use it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mizuti posted:

The memory fix is included in the latest edition of SKSE, right? I use it.

It is in in alpha version, but it's not enabled by default because that would be too easy. Google SKSE ini memory fix.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I believe he just doesn't get much inventory.

Yeah, but he should have *some*. I'd offloaded junk at him a couple times prior to his death, and he didn't have a lot, but he was restocking.

Of course, exiting Tel Mithryn last night, I got to (Aura-shout) watch three Reavers slaughter him. Wiped them, resurrected him again, and INVENTORY! :neckbeard:

So, the solution to death-related issues is...

MORE DEATH! :black101:

(I've no idea if he'll keep restocking, but no rush.)

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Skilled Modders, is there a way to modify a Game Setting based on what the player is doing? I want to make the Pickpocket maximum chance 100% if the player is running while doing it. I know that running can be set as a condition for effects, so what I want is basically "Player is running > Player pickpockets target > Set fPickPocketMaxChance to 100." Actually, simply setting fMaxPickPocketMax to 100 while the player is running would probably make more sense. There's a Modify Pickpocket Chance Entry Point, but I suspect that won't take it over the maximum.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Re: Updating the OP

I haven't kept up with the thread as much as I would like lately, but now that it's been mentioned I'll make an effort to get it up to date now. Just give me links to the Memory Fix guides and we'll be golden. I am kinda ambivalent on Epic Gameplay Overhaul though, mainly because Apollodown's writing really annoys me.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
That's where this thread comes in though. A clear and concise explanation of his mods would be useful. Combat Drama Overhauled is worth adding, imo. Just add a disclaimer about skipping straight to the download tab.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Alasyre posted:

Skilled Modders, is there a way to modify a Game Setting based on what the player is doing? I want to make the Pickpocket maximum chance 100% if the player is running while doing it. I know that running can be set as a condition for effects, so what I want is basically "Player is running > Player pickpockets target > Set fPickPocketMaxChance to 100." Actually, simply setting fMaxPickPocketMax to 100 while the player is running would probably make more sense. There's a Modify Pickpocket Chance Entry Point, but I suspect that won't take it over the maximum.

I'd try using a perk entry conditioned on player is running, then add a script fragment with the skse function game.SetGameSettingFloat(fMaxPickPocketMax, 100.0). You'd have to have it reset to the normal value afterward though. I'd do something like registering for menu close for the pickpocket menu (is that the barter menu? I'm not sure) and then resetting fMaxPickPocketMax to whatever it was before. So there will have to be some bookkeeping and whatnot but it should be doable. The OnMenuClose wouldn't be in the fragment but on the perk itself, I think. I haven't tried to do much with perks.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Scyantific posted:

Re: Updating the OP

I haven't kept up with the thread as much as I would like lately, but now that it's been mentioned I'll make an effort to get it up to date now. Just give me links to the Memory Fix guides and we'll be golden. I am kinda ambivalent on Epic Gameplay Overhaul though, mainly because Apollodown's writing really annoys me.

Apollodown's writing may be insane, but his modding is pretty top notch. I haven't tried his Civil War Overhaul yet, but the Dragon Combat Overhaul is amazing, Combat Drama is great, Fire and Ice has really changed the battlefield for me, Important Information Overhaul is... intrusive by default, but I've come to enjoy it after toning the levels down in the MCM a bit.

Kinda like how Arthenmoor is a self entitled man-baby, but does make good mods. And at least Apollodown seems to be an okay guy when not writing descriptions for his mods.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

LtSmash posted:

Assuming all other checks have gotten nowhere. Try the windows event log to see if it has anything logged about something catastrophic failing at the time the system crashed. Hopefully you can track it to a driver or a chipset thing or something.

If that didn't get you anywhere you can try enabling the SKSE minidumps by putting

in your /data/skse/skse.ini file. The next time skyrim crashes skse will try and write a dmp file to your skyrim save directory. Upload the dmp file to a crash analyzer like this one. It will spit out a lot of gibberish but if you are lucky it might have a helpful clue like a mention of enb or something instead of all generic garbage. Dmp files aren't meant for users but they can once in a while solve really out there problems.

Turned out my system doesn't play nice with ENB. Weird, because it works just fine for FO:NV, but it hates the Skyrim one. I yanked that, and everything is golden.

EDIT: I don't know what mod combo is doing it, but I keep having the funniest thing happen. I'd checked the box for "Hostile Lightning" and was starting a new game. I came running into town, some little kid started saying some crap and KRAKOW! Lightning from the heavens hits him and he goes flying while my vision goes white and sound gets all whiney. Everything comes back, the kid is dead, and everyone in town who's standing out in the snowstorm is staring. OK, maybe it's a one-off, right? So I get to Whiterun and that guy who asks about Cloud District manages to get out part of it, with the "Of course you haven't" and KRAKOW! Lightning from the heavens.

It keeps making me laugh my rear end off whenever someone gets hit at random.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 16, 2014

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Yes, I use the alpha edition with the fix.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when it comes to getting ASIS working. No matter what I do, it tells me ASIS dependency is missing. I can see it on the right hand column, but no matter what I've tried I can't seem to get it to show up in my load order on the left.

Can I just try manually installing it? Or will that conflict with me launching the game in Mod Manager?

I'm thinking I may just try to make due without it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

50 Foot Ant posted:

Turned out my system doesn't play nice with ENB. Weird, because it works just fine for FO:NV, but it hates the Skyrim one. I yanked that, and everything is golden.

EDIT: I don't know what mod combo is doing it, but I keep having the funniest thing happen. I'd checked the box for "Hostile Lightning" and was starting a new game. I came running into town, some little kid started saying some crap and KRAKOW! Lightning from the heavens hits him and he goes flying while my vision goes white and sound gets all whiney. Everything comes back, the kid is dead, and everyone in town who's standing out in the snowstorm is staring. OK, maybe it's a one-off, right? So I get to Whiterun and that guy who asks about Cloud District manages to get out part of it, with the "Of course you haven't" and KRAKOW! Lightning from the heavens.

It keeps making me laugh my rear end off whenever someone gets hit at random.

If you like that, make sure to get the mods that punish guards for "arrow to the knee" and "sweetroll" comments. (Lightning bolt - even indoors/underground - and transformation into a sweetroll, respectively.) Please note that should a quest-related guard mouth off and get zorched, it'll be time for a resurrect/reload. (I'm looking at *you*, Blood On The Ice dude in the Windhelm cemetary.)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

crazkylo posted:

So I have no idea what I'm doing wrong when it comes to getting ASIS working. No matter what I do, it tells me ASIS dependency is missing. I can see it on the right hand column, but no matter what I've tried I can't seem to get it to show up in my load order on the left.

Can I just try manually installing it? Or will that conflict with me launching the game in Mod Manager?

I'm thinking I may just try to make due without it.

You are running the .jar through MO right?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So I have basically no idea what I should be doing with TES5Edit. I watched the tutorial in the OP so I know the basics how to use it on the main .esms, but I have no idea if I should be using it on all the mods I download or what. Is there any sort of guideline for when I should be using it or not? Or do I just check all the readme's to see if they say "don't fuckin' clean this mod" or what?

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You are running the .jar through MO right?

I've been opening the file containing it after MO has installed it. I wasn't aware you could even run it through MO.

I guess I'll give that a go when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

crazkylo posted:

I've been opening the file containing it after MO has installed it. I wasn't aware you could even run it through MO.

I guess I'll give that a go when I get home.

If you use MO to manage your mods you have to chain launch everything through MO. If you don't, no mods "installed" through MO matter.

The best way to conceptionally grasp (not technically accurate) MO is to think of it as a script that copies all the mod files into your Skyrim data directory, launches Skyrim and then deletes all those files when you exit Skyrim. If you launch Skyrim through something other than MO, nothing you have done in it matters.

• Locked thread