Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Can't wait to play madnesd again, it's gonna be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am a little surprised Channel is Mythic Rare, I guess that's for limited considerations? Not at all surprised Mana Crypt is, that thing is busted.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

It's MTGO only and MTGO looks like rear end.

It's specifically the MTGO Beta which looks way worse than v3 in terms of the text stuff

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I am a little surprised Channel is Mythic Rare, I guess that's for limited considerations? Not at all surprised Mana Crypt is, that thing is busted.

Channel seems pretty mediocre in limited(it's a ritual, rituals usually aren't good in limited), but the only reason it's not more busted than Mana Crypt in constructed is that it's green rather than colorless.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Elyv posted:

Channel seems pretty mediocre in limited(it's a ritual, rituals usually aren't good in limited), but the only reason it's not more busted than Mana Crypt in constructed is that it's green rather than colorless.

Have you not played Cube before? Channel is pretty great in a powered Cube. It's a ritual, but it's one that lets you hardcast Big poo poo. I mean, Channel + Fireball was a thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zorak posted:

Have you not played Cube before? Channel is pretty great in a powered Cube. It's a ritual, but it's one that lets you hardcast Big poo poo. I mean, Channel + Fireball was a thing.

Sure, but from what we've seen so far this isn't a set filled with enormous colorless things. Channel is a lot worse when that's not the case.

Also, I posted that before I realized there was a common fireball.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Let me get something straight, all the commons in Vintage Masters are going to be Pauper available, right?

Geez, that's going to cause quite some shake up if that's true.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

Let me get something straight, all the commons in Vintage Masters are going to be Pauper available, right?

Geez, that's going to cause quite some shake up if that's true.

Gavin's article on it made special mention on Wurn and Logic were now commons online, and even how convoluted the common rarity can be (serrated arrows) yet still a major player in the pauper meta.

Maybe they will reinstate pauper dalies too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just looked at replays of last weekend's modern tournament. LSV now plays with lands on top the sensible way so gtfo unbelievers.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fox of Stone posted:

I just looked at replays of last weekend's modern tournament. LSV now plays with lands on top the sensible way so gtfo unbelievers.

He switched on purpose to troll Gerry Thompson. LSV's cruelty is boundless.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Gavin's article on it made special mention on Wurn and Logic were now commons online, and even how convoluted the common rarity can be (serrated arrows) yet still a major player in the pauper meta.

Maybe they will reinstate pauper dalies too.

I really wish they had never removed Pauper dailies and I don't have any idea why they did, they fired with decent frequency. I hope it's not too :tinfoil: to suggest that short of Momir dailies that Pauper was the cheapest way to start grinding to go infinite.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Elyv posted:

Sure, but from what we've seen so far this isn't a set filled with enormous colorless things. Channel is a lot worse when that's not the case.

Also, I posted that before I realized there was a common fireball.

It doesn't need to be colorless to be busted. If it's got X in the CMC then Channel is gonna be bonkers with it (queue posts of Gridlock, etc.)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I really wish they had never removed Pauper dailies and I don't have any idea why they did, they fired with decent frequency. I hope it's not too :tinfoil: to suggest that short of Momir dailies that Pauper was the cheapest way to start grinding to go infinite.

How expensive is the "best" pauper deck? I sold out of modo a couple months ago but I kind of miss the infinite grind in some sickeningly spergy way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Homo for Hitler posted:

How expensive is the "best" pauper deck? I sold out of modo a couple months ago but I kind of miss the infinite grind in some sickeningly spergy way.

There are a lot of viable decks, I think mono blue delver is the best deck and also probably the most expensive, although I haven't checked on the price of Cloud of Faeries and Snap lately. I haven't kept up on the price of Pauper cards in a long time since I haven't had to buy any but Atog Affinity is ridiculously cheap and can be had for $5-10. At its peak MUC/Delver was probably $70 because of the ridiculous price that Blue Elemental Blast, Gush, Serrated Arrows, Cloud of Faeries, Snap, and Brainstorm all carried. Really fun deck though if you like casting Spire Golems and Sea Gate Oracle.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

There are a lot of viable decks, I think mono blue delver is the best deck and also probably the most expensive, although I haven't checked on the price of Cloud of Faeries and Snap lately. I haven't kept up on the price of Pauper cards in a long time since I haven't had to buy any but Atog Affinity is ridiculously cheap and can be had for $5-10. At its peak MUC/Delver was probably $70 because of the ridiculous price that Blue Elemental Blast, Gush, Serrated Arrows, Cloud of Faeries, Snap, and Brainstorm all carried. Really fun deck though if you like casting Spire Golems and Sea Gate Oracle.

Thanks for that! Delver is probably the way I would go anyways since I play delver in legacy and am already familiar with it but at $70 I honestly think it might just be more worthwhile to invest the additional $60 to make my current iteration of mono blue in standard. Sorry about your leblanc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Homo for Hitler posted:

Thanks for that! Delver is probably the way I would go anyways since I play delver in legacy and am already familiar with it but at $70 I honestly think it might just be more worthwhile to invest the additional $60 to make my current iteration of mono blue in standard. Sorry about your leblanc

I am sorry about Leblanc too :(

Also if MTGO Traders website is accurate the price of Mono Blue actually dropped tremendously. Cloud of Faeries is about 1.74, Snaps cost is inconsequential, and Serrated Arrows is even under $5. Hydroblast at two bucks. Take a gander at the top result here for a good MUC/Delver list: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg%2Fdigital%2Fmagiconline%2Ftourn%2F7083509

edit: Expensive but niche SB cards like Echoing Decay and Hydroblast really raise the price of the deck, and are not strictly necessary. Daze is another very expensive card that can easily be substituted for with something like Deprive (or my personal favorite Logic Knot)

second edit: Pricing it out it looks like you can build a really good Delver list for $35. Atog Affinity is still ridiculously cheap. After Vintage Masters comes out U/G Madness may be a deck and won't be that expensive either. Goblins might get better too with a real Goblin lord and gets to play with Death Spark and Goblin Sledder which is also fun.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 14, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
This motherfucker is going to cause so many rules headaches.

Her ability produces mana and has no targets, so it is a mana ability, which means that it can be activated while you're casting a spell, activating an ability, or paying for a triggered ability or special action. I'd like you to look up the Oracle rulings for Chromatic Sphere. I'll wait.

Oh, but it gets worse. The mana ability produces an amount of mana based on cards in non-public zones. Which means you can tap her to play, say, a Garruk's Companion, and come up with 1 or 0 mana. And since it reveals information from hidden zones, it can't be rewound like you normally could if you tried to cast a spell illegally.

So if you try and cast a spell off of her and fail to come up with enough mana, the game hardlocks and demons fly out of your nose.

This thing is going to get errata drat quick, saying "Activate this ability only when you could cast an instant", like Charmed Pendant does.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I am sorry about Leblanc too :(

Also if MTGO Traders website is accurate the price of Mono Blue actually dropped tremendously. Cloud of Faeries is about 1.74, Snaps cost is inconsequential, and Serrated Arrows is even under $5. Hydroblast at two bucks. Take a gander at the top result here for a good MUC/Delver list: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg%2Fdigital%2Fmagiconline%2Ftourn%2F7083509

edit: Expensive but niche SB cards like Echoing Decay and Hydroblast really raise the price of the deck, and are not strictly necessary. Daze is another very expensive card that can easily be substituted for with something like Deprive (or my personal favorite Logic Knot)

second edit: Pricing it out it looks like you can build a really good Delver list for $35. Atog Affinity is still ridiculously cheap. After Vintage Masters comes out U/G Madness may be a deck and won't be that expensive either. Goblins might get better too with a real Goblin lord and gets to play with Death Spark and Goblin Sledder which is also fun.

What is think twice doing in the sideboard? Also looks like I am building that sometime soom.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
If her ability is a mana ability, does that mean her entire effect doesn't use the stack? Essentially: is it not possible to respond to the card draw portion of her ability, if your opponent, for instance, really didn't want to draw the top card of their deck?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

AegisP posted:

If her ability is a mana ability, does that mean her entire effect doesn't use the stack? Essentially: is it not possible to respond to the card draw portion of her ability, if your opponent, for instance, really didn't want to draw the top card of their deck?
That's right. If your opponent has no cards on their library, you can make them lose and they can't do anything about it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Homo for Hitler posted:

What is think twice doing in the sideboard? Also looks like I am building that sometime soom.

Think Twice is actually ridiculously good for two reasons, one is the card advantage in the mirror, and the second is that it lets you use all of your mana while holding up counter magic. Outside of the mirror it is not great.

edit: MUC is similar to Delver but trends more towards control a la Spire Golem and Sea Gate Oracle and fan favorite Mulldrifter so if that's more your speed there's something to investigate there. It tends to be a bit more counter heavy, and Spire Golem is a huge blocker in the format. I fuckin love casting Mulldrifters and Sea Gate Oracles so it's the version I prefer but the more aggro Delver deck tends to perform better. Playing with Ninja of the Deep Hours is also very satisfying in Delver, but I mean, Mulldrifter.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 14, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AegisP posted:

Even if it wasn't a mana ability, for example if it read "T: Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. You gain 1 life for each nonland card revealed this way. Then each player draws a card.", no one could respond in between the card reveal and the card draw, because it's all part of the same effect.

Zemyla posted:

Her ability produces mana and has no targets, so it is a mana ability, which means that it can be activated while you're casting a spell, activating an ability, or paying for a triggered ability or special action. I'd like you to look up the Oracle rulings for Chromatic Sphere. I'll wait.

Oh, but it gets worse. The mana ability produces an amount of mana based on cards in non-public zones. Which means you can tap her to play, say, a Garruk's Companion, and come up with 1 or 0 mana. And since it reveals information from hidden zones, it can't be rewound like you normally could if you tried to cast a spell illegally.

So if you try and cast a spell off of her and fail to come up with enough mana, the game hardlocks and demons fly out of your nose.

This thing is going to get errata drat quick, saying "Activate this ability only when you could cast an instant", like Charmed Pendant does.

Ugh, agreed. Unless they're somehow updating the comp rules to say something to the effect of abilities aren't mana abilities if they ask for information in hidden zones (I can't think of any card that violates this rule at the moment if there is one) or involve drawing cards, this is ugly and the instant-timing clause is the best way to handle it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zorak posted:

https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/li/299

Of interest I presume: the built in draft archetypes for Vintage Masters, beyond all the sheer value cards to be stuck in.

E:

Here's some Conspiracy spoilers:

Could Selvala see any play in Bant Legacy goodstuff?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It might just be that parley itself is defined as instant speed.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Molybdenum posted:

Parley is like heroic, it isn't an actual keyword with rulings. It's just a codifier to connect similar cards together.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Molybdenum posted:

It's an ability word (not a keyword), so Parley itself has no rules meaning.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
The ruling is that it will never be ruled in your favor, because it's a conspiracy against you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Channel Emrakul :getin:

Channel Blightsteel is pretty cute too

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm curious what the good reanimator / cheat-in targets will be since VM is only pre-8th-Edition cards.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

I'm curious what the good reanimator / cheat-in targets will be since VM is only pre-8th-Edition cards.

The article says that the reanimator deck isn't bringing back 8 drops, it's more of a grindy value deck. So I doubt there will be many "cast reanimate on this turn 2 and win" cards floating around.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zemyla posted:

I assume they'll add a ruling that indefinite mana generation can't be counted as a mana ability to circumvent that nightmare.

The Charmed Pendant templating makes the most sense, of course.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 14, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Entropic posted:

JTMS is in it. Where does it say pre 8th edition?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Snacksmaniac posted:

JTMS is in it. Where does it say pre 8th edition?

It says not modern legal, he interpreted that to be mean only older than 8th ed. cards. Which is mostly, but not completely true.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That makes sense. Skullclamp is banned too and post 8E.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
The latest spoilers reminded me that I still have four unopened FTV: 20s online. There's pretty much no way to get rid of these, is there?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

The latest spoilers reminded me that I still have four unopened FTV: 20s online. There's pretty much no way to get rid of these, is there?

How much even is a FTV 20 Jace, anyway?

Oh. 26 dollars.
Well there's that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Korak posted:

Could Selvala see any play in Bant Legacy goodstuff?

As a 3-mana 2/4 with a mediocre ability that doesn't do anything the turn it comes into play? It seems vanishingly unlikely to me.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

Oh. 26 dollars.
Well there's that.

:stare:

Oh! You mean on MODO. Still, the paper ones are hovering south of $90 for a beat-up copy, I should probably get my playset soon.

EDIT: Wait, what? I don't remember Force of Will being south of $90 either. Was I thinking of Mana Drain? Wasteland? Whatevs, I guess I know what'll be anchoring my next TCGplayer shipment. :getin:

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 14, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Count Bleck posted:

Oh. 26 dollars.
Well there's that.

Near as I can tell though there's nearly no one interested in buying them, as now even the regular set Jace is only 39 tickets, and that's only going to go down now that it's in VMA as well. Certainly seems like there's no advantage in keeping them sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Oh. 26 dollars.
Well there's that.

FTV sets don't get quantity-limited online the same way they do physically. Anyone who wants can get their hands on them at MSRP.

It was quite amusing seeing the price of WWK Jace cratering when it was announced.

• Locked thread