Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, Rage was a good shooter with a lot of extraneous guff bolted on, like crafting and driving and talking to NPCs. So far there's no hint of anything like that in New Order - it's shooting bridged by cutscenes followed by more shooting - and that's just what the game needs to be.

Yeah - I agree with this. My main issue with RAGE was the whole focus on their engine over the (quite fun) game - and I had a lot of issues with textures streaming in whenever I looked around which got tiring. I'll most likely grab this pre-order than. Wolf09 was fantastic fun and if this is the same level of fun, then awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So Bethesda has announced some new features, I really like the hellish Canadian reality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbLV0zK7y28

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 13, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Is this game going to be using Steam as it's only form of DRM? I can't find anything about it - but I assume if I buy physical ('Cos download be big) it'll reg on steam?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just ordered a ps4.

Guess I'm joining the new console generation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

IchGestalt posted:

Is this game going to be using Steam as it's only form of DRM? I can't find anything about it - but I assume if I buy physical ('Cos download be big) it'll reg on steam?

It's a singleplayer game with no online features, as far as I'm aware (and no DLC plans announced, not even preorder perks even, which is super unusual), so yeah, it look like Steam is the long and short of it.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Dominic White posted:

It's a singleplayer game with no online features, as far as I'm aware (and no DLC plans announced, not even preorder perks even, which is super unusual), so yeah, it look like Steam is the long and short of it.

Superb. I like having everything on steam. And the lack of any in-game pre-order bonus -is- pretty interesting. Trying to get people to pre-order on the merit of the game itself rather than the funky stuff you get for doing that?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Shocking, I know.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Shocking, I know.

At least they didn't send people a fake nazi-armband covered in blood!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, there is one big pre-order bonus: Beta access to Doom 4 as and when that happens, but they've provided no details other than a vague 'That'll happen sometime in the future'.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2014

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
I got a really sweet pre-order deal for the game on greenmangaming. Then I read somewhere that the european versions are gonna be censored because of their who sensitivity with nazi imagery. Isn't GMG based in europe? Does anyone know if they have the censored version? Does anyone know if I can get a refund"?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I got a really sweet pre-order deal for the game on greenmangaming. Then I read somewhere that the european versions are gonna be censored because of their who sensitivity with nazi imagery. Isn't GMG based in europe? Does anyone know if they have the censored version? Does anyone know if I can get a refund"?

If they didn't give you a key yet, you should be able to get a refund. GMG usually gets a set of NA keys and a set of EU keys for their games.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SteamDB only lists two versions of the game: One for Germany and Austria, and one for everyone else. GMG is a UK site, so it should have the regular version.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

As long as you aren't in Germany, I believe the version is the same for everyone?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, GMG are British, so it should be the same as any American version. If you're in Germany/Austria, you're probably hosed as keys from any other country will almost certainly be rejected by Steam and the only way to get an uncut version of the game is via illicit means, which sucks.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

timeandtide posted:

In that one hour preview, is anyone else seeing a "dual knife" option in the weapon wheel? I mean maybe that's how the game shows having multiple knives since you can throw them, but God help me if I can somehow use a knife in each hand and go on a stabbing rampage. Also I'm laughing at BJ being seemingly brought out of his coma by the mere presence of Nazis in his vicinity.

Also, guy above buying Wolfenstein on consoles and trying to decide between versions, if you plan on playing Watch_Dogs on console you might as well buy a PS4 now - the game has like a night and day difference between PS3 and PS4, with the last gen consoles looking muddy and dull.

He wasn't really in a coma he was just faking it to get the hot Polish nurse to touch his junk.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

IchGestalt posted:

Superb. I like having everything on steam. And the lack of any in-game pre-order bonus -is- pretty interesting. Trying to get people to pre-order on the merit of the game itself rather than the funky stuff you get for doing that?

Well, you also get access to the Doom 4 Beta, which sounds interesting but I'm kinda burnt out on Early Access type stuff. Developers should pay me to beta test their games, not the other way around! I'm not pre-ordering this and waiting until the reviews come out, even though I totally want to but I've decided $60 is kinda steep for a single player FPS.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Not only is BJ instantly cured of massive brain damage by the presence of Nazis to stab, but he apparently hasn't lost a single ounce of (substantial) muscle mass in the 14 years he spent sitting in a wheelchair. His neck is still as enormous as ever, too.

Dude is a force of nature. Like some kind of freakish Murder Elemental.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Not only is BJ instantly cured of massive brain damage by the presence of Nazis to stab, but he apparently hasn't lost a single ounce of (substantial) muscle mass in the 14 years he spent sitting in a wheelchair. His neck is still as enormous as ever, too.

Dude is a force of nature. Like some kind of freakish Murder Elemental.

The plot is clearly going to be like Crank. Except with Nazis. Whenever BJ is not in proximity to Nazis or killing Nazis, his systems begin to shut down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

IchGestalt posted:

The plot is clearly going to be like Crank. Except with Nazis. Whenever BJ is not in proximity to Nazis or killing Nazis, his systems begin to shut down.

Funnily enough, this explains RTCW's final scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-i5sC0UsI&t=441s

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm more amazed only his legs "feel like Jelly", yet he can almost instinctively remember the right movements to slit a Nazi's throat and have enough time to give him a sound gently caress You before they die. Anya was meticulously keeping him in shape to let him carry out the Blazkowicz prime directive: KILL EVERY NAZI.

She also must have been the only one brave enough to treat him when he likely started to get dangerously twitchy whenever any of the black suits showed up.

Also, HOLY poo poo DEATHSHEAD IS 100?!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I'm more amazed only his legs "feel like Jelly", yet he can almost instinctively remember the right movements to slit a Nazi's throat and have enough time to give him a sound gently caress You before they die.

To be fair, he must have committed genocide by now. By himself. That stuff is most likely just part of who he is - like breathing and thinking.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

In 1960. So the chances are that he'll be our Mecha-Hitler stand-in. I don't see him being that age without being some kind of mutant cyber-monstrosity.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am increasingly interested in this game, though BJ's VO gets a bit heavy handed.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
BJ is really taking this allies losing thing pretty hard. When all your friends are dead and your life's work is all for naught you can get real mopey like BJ is right now.

I hope there is something that can cheer him up in this game like some shiny new cutting edge guns or some super tough nazis to kill.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's interesting how BJ is being played by a dude who played both Captain America AND Rumble McSkirmish.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I'm more amazed only his legs "feel like Jelly", yet he can almost instinctively remember the right movements to slit a Nazi's throat and have enough time to give him a sound gently caress You before they die. Anya was meticulously keeping him in shape to let him carry out the Blazkowicz prime directive: KILL EVERY NAZI.

She also must have been the only one brave enough to treat him when he likely started to get dangerously twitchy whenever any of the black suits showed up.

Also, HOLY poo poo DEATHSHEAD IS 100?!

By the events of New Order, BJ has

-stolen the spear of destiny
-killed hitler
-killed mechahitler
-killed himmler
-killed somewhere between half and all of the population of germany.
-fought off an undead and demonic invasion
-beat the poo poo out of the cyberdemon so hard ( with ww2 weapons ) he had to go recover for thousands of years until he met bjs great great great great grandson the doom marine ( this is canon ).

Stabbing Nazis is easier then breathing for BJ at this point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rookersh posted:

By the events of New Order, BJ has

-stolen the spear of destiny
-killed hitler
-killed mechahitler
-killed himmler
-killed somewhere between half and all of the population of germany.
-fought off an undead and demonic invasion
-beat the poo poo out of the cyberdemon so hard ( with ww2 weapons ) he had to go recover for thousands of years until he met bjs great great great great grandson the doom marine ( this is canon ).

Stabbing Nazis is easier then breathing for BJ at this point.

As far as i can tell, only games that are canon to this one are RTCW and wolfenstiene 2009. God i am pathetic for knowing that.

Lotish posted:

I am increasingly interested in this game, though BJ's VO gets a bit heavy handed.

I like it. its heavy handed as hell, but it just fits. plus i have soft spot for overly gravely muttering with protags in games.
Plus, i am amused how ridiculously buff he is, and how tiny his head looks on he massive body.
Edit: poo poo i just noticed brian bloom played jackie from the darkness 2 and kane from K&L games, no wonder i recognized the voice.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 14, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mushball posted:

I hope there is something that can cheer him up in this game like some shiny new cutting edge guns or some super tough nazis to kill.

I recall some leaked 2013 quakecon footage where the player picked up one of those monster turret guns and BJ shouted GROOVY. I hope there are corny/dumb lines like that during combat.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is looking like the dnf we never got and I am pumped

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I need to call Sony support or something, I'm going to get a
PS4, and I want to change my PSN preorder of Wolfenstein from ps3 to ps4. I want the best possible nazi slaughter experience.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive been playing through the 2009 Wolfenstein and I wish I had played this game before. I just did the farm mission, and holy poo poo, that was quite a level.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Ive been playing through the 2009 Wolfenstein and I wish I had played this game before. I just did the farm mission, and holy poo poo, that was quite a level.

The Farm level is really fun - and has a neat climax too. Wolf09 didn't really change anything in the FPS world or innovate but it was just damned fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

It kinda got lost in a storm of negativity when it was released. 'COD CLONE!' shouted one group, 'BIOSHOCK RIPOFF!' yelled another. And not too many people really noticed that it was a good, fun Wolfenstein game. By the time people were willing to finally try it, it had gotten lost in licensing hell and became a rare title on PC.

A pity, as the Retrostein mod really tunes it up nicely. No massive changes, just a more coherent difficulty curve and some extra incentives to bust out the heavy weaponry in the later missions.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Dominic White posted:

It kinda got lost in a storm of negativity when it was released. 'COD CLONE!' shouted one group, 'BIOSHOCK RIPOFF!' yelled another. And not too many people really noticed that it was a good, fun Wolfenstein game. By the time people were willing to finally try it, it had gotten lost in licensing hell and became a rare title on PC.

A pity, as the Retrostein mod really tunes it up nicely. No massive changes, just a more coherent difficulty curve and some extra incentives to bust out the heavy weaponry in the later missions.

The weapon design in Wolf09 was fantastic. Everything was fun to use and some of the more advanced weapons were -amazing-

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, so apparently the only change to the German version is the Nazis are suddenly called "The Regime"?

That's not actually that bad. Apparently every cutscene is intact, all the characters are the same, and nothing else has been changed. They just get referenced as the Regime, and they don't have the armbands.

Although it's kind of ironic that worked, considering the Nazis mainly called themselves "Das Reich" during WW2. Which loosely translated means the Regime/Empire. :v:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Huh, so apparently the only change to the German version is the Nazis are suddenly called "The Regime"?

That's not actually that bad. Apparently every cutscene is intact, all the characters are the same, and nothing else has been changed. They just get referenced as the Regime, and they don't have the armbands.

Although it's kind of ironic that worked, considering the Nazis mainly called themselves "Das Reich" during WW2. Which loosely translated means the Regime/Empire. :v:

The enemies don't really resemble the stereotypical Nazi solider though - even in the early portions they are in armour and such. Most likely why it wasn't as big a deal as, say, Call of Duty 2-type Nazi's or Wolf09?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rookersh posted:

I'm glad they didn't go about with the intention to gut something that could actually help their culture remember why Das Reich was so terrible. This isn't to say they needed any help in having severe cultural guilt, but having a little catharsis against waves of stormtroopers isn't hurting anyone. :shobon:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dominic White posted:

The biggest downside that I can see from it is that the pacing is completely off. There is no build up at all to the kind of crazy poo poo that you would expect from Wolfenstein. The farm has so far been the best level in the game, and the stuff after that still barely compares. Although, I have to give props to the game for having some decent bolt action gameplay. Usually that kind of thing is limited to sniper rifles nowadays, which you can turn it into, but you can just go ironsights too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

If that's so, then it seems that they are running with the old continuity where Hitler is dead and never mentioned again (reduced to a historical footnote), as I'm pretty sure that removing all direct references to nazis would preclude Hitler's presence.

I am fully expecting mecha-Deathshead though.

blackguy32 posted:

The biggest downside that I can see from it is that the pacing is completely off. There is no build up at all to the kind of crazy poo poo that you would expect from Wolfenstein. The farm has so far been the best level in the game, and the stuff after that still barely compares. Although, I have to give props to the game for having some decent bolt action gameplay. Usually that kind of thing is limited to sniper rifles nowadays, which you can turn it into, but you can just go ironsights too.

Oh, things do escalate. Wolf09 just starts at 'crazy magic poo poo' and goes from there. The Farm is less than halfway through the game, if I recall.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Oops, double-post. IGNORE THIS SPACE.

• Locked thread