Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

:siren:NEW INFORMATION:siren:

OH MY GOD THERE'S A PREQUEL/STANDALONE XPAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVEpo_35sA

quote:

The year is 1946 and the Nazis are on the brink of winning World War II. In an effort to turn the tide in the Allies’ favour, B.J. Blazkowicz must embark on an epic, two-part mission deep within Bavaria. Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves - pits BJ Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead’s compound. In part two – The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – our hero's search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artefacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power.

Seems to be possible retcon/reconciling parts of Return and Wolf09 with TNO. The first part is definitely the direct lead-in to the assault that takes place in the first mission of TNO, whereas the second part sounds awfully similar to RtCW. I still consider RtCW to be one of the best FPS games ever made, so I'm pretty excited. Also: THE RETURN OF FLAMMENWERFER NAZIS

It's out May 5 2015 for PS4, Xbone, and PC. GET PSYCHED

:siren:END NEW INFORMATION:siren:

Wolfenstein is a series of FPS games based around an alternate history WW2 involving a mix of crazy technology and the occult. In all games you play as BJ Blazkowicz, an American spy, who uncovers and stops the most dangerous schemes of the Waffen SS.

The Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn8cePe-qgI
This is a motion comic attempting to reconcile the wild timeline of Wolfenstein. Uh, spoilers though? I guess?

The first game in the series, and one of the first FPS games in general (please don’t :spergin: about this), Wolfenstein 3D was a huge success when it was released. The plot is pretty straightforward; BJ was trying to find plans about a secret Nazi weapon, and got captured. So then you escape Castle Wolfenstein and find the secret weapon, revealed to be undead cyborgs. You kill the mad scientist in charge of that operation, then for kicks, decide to infiltrate Hitler’s bunker and kill him, too.

Did your history teacher skip the part where Hitler had a mech with chainguns on it? :eng99: The American education system fails more students…

Thanks for Elliotw2 for reminding me that you can play the entire first game in your browser! Head to http://3d.wolfenstein.com/game_NA.php to do so! GET PSYCHED

This is a prequel to Wolf 3D, released the same year. I’m a horrible jerk because I’ve never played it. Anyway, Nazis have stolen the Spear of Destiny and BJ goes to get it back.

2001 (PC)/2003 (PS2/Xbox)

A sort-of reboot, in RtCW, BJ finds himself investigating the Waffen SS Paranormal division, headed by Helga Von Bulow. He and another agent, Agent One, are captured and taken to Castle Wolfenstein, where his companion dies, but BJ escapes and hooks up with a German resistance cell. He goes on to investigate Von Bulow, who is investigating legends of ancient mystical warriors...and manages to piss them off. So they come back to life (naturally) and you have to fight through the tombs and kill one of the more powerful ones, but not before Von Bulow gets killed by it.

After this, BJ is sent to investigate Oberführer Wilhelm Strasse, AKA Deathshead, the head of the SS Special Projects division. BJ infiltrates Strasse’s secret facility, where all kinds of hosed up experiments are happening, mostly involving cyborg type of stuff. Strasse escapes, however, and BJ pursues to another facility, this one with completed Übersoldaten, a horrific mash-up of man and metal. BJ puts an end to that project, but Strasse escapes.

The final leg of the game involves plans for something Von Bulow was working on called Project Resurrection. The plan was to resurrect (or more accurately, free from an eternal prison) an ancient warlock, Saxon King Heinrich I. BJ finds himself returning to Castle Wolfenstein (:v:), where the excavation for Heinrich’s tomb is underway. You fight your way to a ritual being conducted by an SS psychic, who raises spirits to turn Übersoldaten into Heinrich’s lieutenants, and eventually raise Heinrich himself. The psychic dies, you kill all the evil undead, and Heinrich Himmler peaces out, kinda pissed that you ruined his good time.

The console versions added a level at the beginning of the game, where BJ and Agent One investigate Von Bulow’s presence at a tomb in Egypt. This level serves to explain how BJ and Agent One got captured in the first place.

A huge part of Return, however, was the multiplayer. It was a team-based system, with teams having objectives (usually destroy or defend something) in order to win. There was a class system, where you could choose to be a soldier, medic, lieutenant, or engineer, each with its own weapon loadouts (different for Allies and Axis teams) and special abilities-medics could heal, lieutenants could resupply ammo, for example. The multiplayer was hugely popular but I never played it, as I had the game on Xbox but not Xbox live. I was too busy playing Phantasy Star Online anyway.

Wolfenstein (usually called Wolfenstein 2009/Wolf ‘09) is a sequel to RtCW. BJ gets ahold of a magical artifact (the Thule Medallion) that harnesses the power of the Dark Sun dimension. The Nazis, of course, want this power for themselves. Wilhelm Strasse is back, and boy is he pissed. He’s building weapons using the Dark Sun’s power, and it’s up to BJ and the German resistance to stop him.

I haven’t beaten this game yet, either (I missed out on most of the last gen of console games, blame World of Warcraft), but I’ve been playing it recently and it’s pretty good. The gimmick with the medallion is a gimmick, and I think the game would be better without it, but it’s not too bad. Something new to the series is an overworld, and side missions, and that’s all handled really well. In true Wolfenstein fashion, you can find secrets and treasure in levels, and then use those to unlock upgrades for your guns or Thule Medallion. Pretty cool system, overall, and I hope it makes a comeback in…

The newest entry in the Wolfenstein series, this is set to come out in a few weeks, on May 20th. The plot as revealed so far: BJ leads an assault on Strasse’s fortress, but is critically injured and slips into a coma. While BJ is out, the Nazis develop the atom bomb, and win the war and take over the world. BJ wakes up in a mental asylum in the 1960s-just in time to stop the Nazis from killing everyone in it, having used them for experiments and now being done with them. BJ finds the last vestiges of the German resistance, and convinces them the time is now to strike at Strasse and bring down the Nazi global regime.

The previews promise huge, sprawling levels, with multiple ways to accomplish goals and rewards for doing so however you want to. There will be a perk system to accommodate this; for example, if you prefer a stealthy style, as you rack up stealth kills, your stealth weapons will be upgraded. If you favor running in guns blazing, you will be rewarded with better assault weapons and health, and so on. The journalists that got their hands on the first few levels of the game basically universally praise the gameplay, and say the perk system does what it claims. I’m personally really looking forward to it, and already have release day off work to really devote myself to it.

Now of course, everyone is worried about how it will fare-Duke Nukem Forever still weighs heavily on our minds, after all. But they seem to be keeping the essence of Wolfenstein (well minus what I’m sure will be a painful "romance" plotline, as seen in the Boom Boom trailer).

Just look! For the first time in the series, BJ looks like he did in Wolf 3D!

Also, as this is the age of Halo/CoD/Battlefield regenerating health, they kind of do a half-way regen thing. You will have a health meter, and it will regenerate, but only up to a certain point. I think they said by 20s, so if you fall to like, 84 health, it will regen to 100, but if you fall to 79, it will only bring up to 80. The sections can be recovered with medkits (and hopefully dogfood).
UPDATE: Dogfood confirmed, GOTY

Stuff Tangentially Related to Wolfenstein
A fine upstanding goon and purveyor of fine things, Xenomorph, has quite the collection of "Weird War 2" related things; check out his post here. I can definitely recommend Philip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle, but I haven't read any of those other books. I've got some ideas now for when I'm done with the Witcher books though!

Prerelease Info/Press/Misc. for New Order that isn't totally relevant now that it's out!
You can preorder through the usual retailers, and Steam preorders just went up as well. Through Bethesda's website you can order the Panzerhund edition, which comes with all this:

but not the game for $100.

Preorders also get access to the Doom (4) beta, whenever that comes.

Here’s the kickass teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4BtmT4FPEA

A proper trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvfqfGTar4

“Boom Boom” Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1hjIMSGv0

“Nowhere to Run” Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkxa5XSD18

Stealth vs. Mayhem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o9Xi4l7jy0

House of the Rising Sun/Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK3W5ZWTpOs

Another pretty cool thing they’re doing for advertising is the Neumond Recording “label” providing us with classic songs from the 1960s Nazi regime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnioYhknoR8

You can listen to full songs on https://neumondrecordings.com, and I really hope they release a soundtrack with all these songs because they’re actually kinda cool. I particularly like the VW song, as featured in this video from an event they did at PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4Ey0gdhcM

Here’s one preview that’s pretty detailed:
http://www.gamefront.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-preview-making-winning-feel-like-losing/

Remember when?

Well anyway I’ll try to keep this thread up to date with Wolfenstein stuff. May 20th is right around the corner! IS HERE GET PSYCHED
And remember: killing Nazis is always OK

Humerus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm impressed by the elaborate rerecording of rock n roll songs.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That robot dog looks really cool.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I was just about to start working on a New Order thread, but now I don't have to! :toot:

To say that I'm excited for The New Order is an understatement. I've been playing Wolfenstein games since Silas Warner's commodore Wolfenstein, and I've always loved the blend of superscience and arcade action in the Wolf series. While Wolf '09 was average (and the MP was a complete waste of time), it still had a lot of the supernatural schlock that appeals to me. But New Order appears to take that same superscience bent and turn it in this weird, twisted direction. These guys really seem to get the appeal of the Wolfenstein franchise and why it's managed to stay alive for so long. RTCW will always be one of my favorite games, both SP and MP.

Plus, Deathshead! You can't help but love to hate that guy. They even got Dwight Schulz to voice him in New Order.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 21, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I spent many hours during my middle school years playing the RtCW multiplayer demo (only one map, but oh what a map it was) but otherwise never played the games except for a similar long binge of RtCW:ET multiplayer. Is mp going to be a big part of the new Wolf too?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do you really not get the game if you buy that 100 dollar edition?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Davincie posted:

do you really not get the game if you buy that 100 dollar edition?

Nope. But it's only purchasable through Bethesda's online store, so it's not like someone can accidentally pre-order it at Gamestop anyways.

Still, it is dumb they aren't including the game.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I'm getting a strong vibe of "This will be as memorable as Wolfenstein 2009"

Now if this were an open world RPGish Fallout-esque of 1940s Europe...

VVVV: You could technically if you have a aid capture and hold posts for the allied forces, introduce a faction of undead that the Germans either control and/or lose control of and have Blaskowitz either divide his specifications between Modern Warfare, the Occult or Divine... I would play the gently caress out of that.

VVVVVV: Hadn't thought of that but I'm a sucker for skills leveling.

Malek fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 21, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

AnonSpore posted:

I spent many hours during my middle school years playing the RtCW multiplayer demo (only one map, but oh what a map it was) but otherwise never played the games except for a similar long binge of RtCW:ET multiplayer. Is mp going to be a big part of the new Wolf too?

New Order has no Multiplayer.

quote:

I don't think you could really do a Wolfenstein game out of that idea, though i would be interested in it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Malek posted:

Less Fallout and more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I'd agree

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Small regional restriction addendum, if SteamDB is to be trusted people in Germany and Austria will be unable to buy or play (so no gifting shenanigans!) this game. And allegedly, the UK version will not contain swastikas.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Fantastic. I've played all the main games (3D, Spear, RtCW and Wolf '09) loved them, and have The New Order preordered and everything. I am super excited for next month.

I also love the whole Neumond Recordings thing. The Nazis conquering the world? lovely. The moon? lovely. Rock and Roll? Not so bad.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
30 minutes of gameplay footage from The New Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIQyP0V-a0

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

J-Pak posted:

30 minutes of gameplay footage from The New Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIQyP0V-a0

Those silver tongued bastards, they had me at the akimbo machine guns.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The $100 special edition with no copy of the game almost seems to be like a trial balloon to see if the kinds of people that always buy the special editions of games (no matter how dumb the trinkets or how expensive it is) will buy it and the $60 game separately. Probably

Looking forward to The New Order simply because I have not purchased a PS4 game since my launch-day purchase of BF4 and Killzone (the latter, wow was it mediocre).

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

AnonSpore posted:

Those silver tongued bastards, they had me at the akimbo machine guns.
Personally the first trailer pricked my ears up with their spin on football rulings. I bet there would be less diving and arguing with the ref like a five year old if they could just whip out a luger and shoot them in the face nowadays. :allears:

But why the couch webcam? :psyduck:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
No Wolfenstein thread is complete without a watch of this little tribute animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE77bYYjO-Q

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
A few points on that Twitch gameplay video

-AI plays/reacts like they have rocks in their skull
-game looks very easy, even on the second to last hardest difficulty
-cool that they are using traditional health points, but it looks like they auto regenerate back to 80 after a short bit?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

All I wanna do is shank Nazis and pump their faces full of buckshot. I hope this has good shotguns :pray:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, RtCW holds a special place in heart. For some bizarre reason it was the only FPS that ever clicked with me, and which I was good at. Like, every other game from Counterstrike to Halo I was only ever mediocre, but I was a monster in RtCW.

Fondly memories of holding off waves of players so long until I was resorting to the pistol til they finally killed me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

J-Pak posted:

-cool that they are using traditional health points, but it looks like they auto regenerate back to 80 after a short bit?

There's only so difficult you can really make it on a console, and the guy playing it is on the QA team and they tend to be very good at the games they play.

Looks fun to me, I enjoyed the 2009 version and the new one looks surprisingly like it, so I'll probably get it at some point.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That recording webpage is a riot. I love that Beatles parody song, I hope all of these are in game somehow.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember playing through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and shelving it because I think I was a couple of levels in and I still hadn't seen any occult stuff.

I have also been on the fence about whether or not I want to buy the most recent Wolfenstein game that came out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That recording webpage is a riot. I love that Beatles parody song, I hope all of these are in game somehow.

It'd be a crying shame if there wasn't some kind of toggle-able radio or in game soundtrack that you can listen to alternate history nazi rock. I'd also like for BJ to be a bit of curmudgeon about it, but his claims of devil music would be a little more justified if they were goosestepping while they twist.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Crabtree posted:

It'd be a crying shame if there wasn't some kind of toggle-able radio or in game soundtrack that you can listen to alternate history nazi rock. I'd also like for BJ to be a bit of curmudgeon about it, but his claims of devil music would be a little more justified if they were goosestepping while they twist.

I wonder what nazi television is like in 1960 if there are any TV shows we can watch ingame because BJ's reaction to leave it to beaver with happy aryan families or the news broadcasting his escapades would be priceless.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

blackguy32 posted:

I have also been on the fence about whether or not I want to buy the most recent Wolfenstein game that came out.

It's OK, it's nothing special and really rough around the edges (Raven isn't the same company it used to be). It'll like go on sale when the new one hits on Steam and is worth a go if anyone is a fan of the thrills of budget gaming.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I remember playing through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and shelving it because I think I was a couple of levels in and I still hadn't seen any occult stuff.

Wait what? I the demo I remember shooting skeletons which turned out to be really early on, and I think the first boss is a crazed nazi witch isn't it? What kind of occult were you hoping for?

I haven't played RtCW in a few years but I remember burning through the game one night with my friends and getting super pissed at the Tesla boss. I can't help but doubt that the new one will be 60 bucks good, but I'd seriously love to be wrong about that.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Humerus posted:

You can listen to full songs on https://neumondrecordings.com, and I really hope they release a soundtrack with all these songs because they’re actually kinda cool. I particularly like the VW song, as featured in this video from an event they did at PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4Ey0gdhcM

It would be more befitting of a 1960's Nazi dystopia if they replaced the entire soundtrack with Heino, honestly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Moochewmoo posted:

Wait what? I the demo I remember shooting skeletons which turned out to be really early on, and I think the first boss is a crazed nazi witch isn't it? What kind of occult were you hoping for?

I haven't played RtCW in a few years but I remember burning through the game one night with my friends and getting super pissed at the Tesla boss. I can't help but doubt that the new one will be 60 bucks good, but I'd seriously love to be wrong about that.

No, im not saying its not in the game, but the very beginning of the game starts off with you just shooting Nazis. But I think I stopped just before they started appearing. I was in some village when I quit, so maybe I will start it up again.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

No, im not saying its not in the game, but the very beginning of the game starts off with you just shooting Nazis. But I think I stopped just before they started appearing. I was in some village when I quit, so maybe I will start it up again.

You were literally right before the supernatural enemies and evil Nazi science starts popping up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I started replaying it earlier tonight, and I just made it to the catacombs.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Let's give an honourable mention to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I always liked the idea of it back in 2003, but sadly in reality the internet access in small town Northern Ireland resulted in maximum lag minimum fun for me...

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I miss W:ET :(

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

J-Pak posted:

The health system is divided into sections. If you have under 20HP it regenerates until that number, if you have over 20 but less than 40 it regenerates until the latter, if it's 41 then it regenerates until 60 and so on. For full regeneration you need to pick up healing items. It's similar to Resistance 1's, Riddick's and Medal of Honor Airborne's health systems.

That footage is from the first level of the game.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Well, going to chime in on how amazing the multi player was for RTCW. Is there still a healthy online community for it? I feel like reinstalling it just for that and replaying the single player.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I look forward to a heavily scripted concentration camp level. That's gotta be the "no russian" level equivalent for a world war 2 game these days right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Justin Godscock posted:

It's OK, it's nothing special and really rough around the edges (Raven isn't the same company it used to be). It'll like go on sale when the new one hits on Steam and is worth a go if anyone is a fan of the thrills of budget gaming.

I don't think there's anywhere that still sells it over digital distribution. I know it got yanked from the Steam store a while ago.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It wouldn't be wolfenstein if the AI wasn't pants on head retarded.

I fully expect soldiers to shriek at me in a comedy accent and spray bullets everywhere while ignoring all the cover before getting slaughtered on mass by me, who also refuses to take cover but can actually aim my machine guns.

RTCW is one of the best dumb rambo shooters, it really is. This looks great. Can't wait.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Stream going on now, if anyone is interested

http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Edit: Well gently caress, that was a short stream.

graynull fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Their playtester seems like a huge scrub; granted he is playing a FPS with a 360 controller.

• Locked thread