Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chim posted:

https://shop.virginemi.com/montypython/*/*/Monty-Python-s-Total-Rubbish-Deluxe-9-LP-Box-Set-Free-Exclusive-Poster/3BCC0000000

So.. Monty Python is releasing a 9LP deluxe box set housing nearly every single recorded song from their oeuvre. $219... who's going to bite?

That is entirely too much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chim posted:

https://shop.virginemi.com/montypython/*/*/Monty-Python-s-Total-Rubbish-Deluxe-9-LP-Box-Set-Free-Exclusive-Poster/3BCC0000000

So.. Monty Python is releasing a 9LP deluxe box set housing nearly every single recorded song from their oeuvre. $219... who's going to bite?

I already own a few of these and while they're good records, they're not hugely something I'd listen too that often. You can find most of the original ones pretty cheaply anyway.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just one record tonight, Blueprint's brand new LP. Saw him live last night with Count Bass D and they both killed it. I knew Blueprint mostly from his stuff with Rjd2 back in the day, so it was nice hearing new material from him. He also did a pretty kickass cover of Radiohead's Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box.

Both Blueprint and the Count are doing a pretty big tour across the U.S. this summer, I definitely recommend checking them out.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Cloks posted:

I already own a few of these and while they're good records, they're not hugely something I'd listen too that often. You can find most of the original ones pretty cheaply anyway.

I got all of them (except the first one, seems to be a bit hard to find where I live for some reason) and they were not that expensive. Even got Matching Tie and Hankerchief with the cut-out, all the inserts and the parallel-cut vinyl. Paid a lot less than what they are asking for the box-set. Still tempted to get this one!
I also got the Instant Record Collection with the fold-out cover. One of my favourite gimmick-covers, such a well executed idea!

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

cosmicjim posted:

1000 Umbrellas, my Sunray EP will never be worth 1000s of dollars

Full stop.

Of course we're into the new record! We recently worked with a theater here in NYC to rescore George Lucas' THX1138 and perform our score live to the film. This instrumental album is that score, and I'm stoked we found a label that is willing to put it out. I know it's a confusing move, but my hope is that it comes across as genuine as well as original. Soundtrack nerds, you can listen to an edit of side A here: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-grinder/premiere-conveyor-theme-i-edit

We'll be back to putting out pop records later this year. Thanks for paying attention!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CPL593H posted:

That is entirely too much money.
These days when I hear "box set" from a fairly big label, my brain translates that into "30-50% off in a year or two at POPMarket."

And oddly enough, when I see those kind of prices, my patience gets re-enforced over my otherwise normal "Take my money now!" impulse.

So keep it up, industry!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Music On Vinyl is doin' work:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/glassjaw/worship-and-tribute#.U3IxhPldVrf

Now to figure out how to get this in the US

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So evidently cleaning vinyl with wood glue is a thing. I'm sure everyone here knows about this already, but have any of you actually tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

caiman posted:

So evidently cleaning vinyl with wood glue is a thing. I'm sure everyone here knows about this already, but have any of you actually tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

I've done it a few times, works pretty well, but you have to make sure its 100% dry, I started peeling it off and there was a wet spot I didn't notice and it turned into a big pain in the rear end. It's a very slow process and can take a lot space if you try to do several records at once, so It's not good for cleaning in bulk. I reserve it for the dirtiest records.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my housemate does it from time to time too (mainly for his Serato vinyl), never known him to have an issue. Thought it was an urban legend designed to convince people to ruin their records at first!

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

caiman posted:

I've done it on a couple dozen records and been pretty pleased with the results, with no real downsides I experienced. In some cases, I think the records sounded better. In others, they didn't sound better, but looked a little shinier - so there's that, I guess. I only did it on my dirtiest records. But as long as you're careful and relatively patient waiting for them to dry, I say give it a shot.

*edit*
I should add that I don't have any other method for cleaning records, so don't have much to compare it to.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 13, 2014

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
The cherry-flavored airhead was a nice touch.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

3dou posted:

The cherry-flavored airhead was a nice touch.

I just got mine in yesterday and it came with a bonus American Football live 7" which is pretty cool and I'm excited to listed to.

And polyvinyl always throws in airheads, if you didn't know

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Did the new swans ship for anyone yet? I preordered it on Amazon months ago and nothing, not even an estimated shipping date, so I cancelled it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

beergod posted:

Did the new swans ship for anyone yet? I preordered it on Amazon months ago and nothing, not even an estimated shipping date, so I cancelled it.

Why didn't you order from Young God?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone have any recommendation on a record brush? http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-LP-record-clean-brush/dp/B0006VMBHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400027719&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+brush is the top-seller on Amazon, but reviews are a bit mixed.

Just bought a copy of Low that has some static on the B-side that I'd like to remove, hoping it's as simple as cleaning off some dust. It also has a really nasty skip in Sound & Vision that may or may not be fixable, man I hope it is because of all the songs on that record that is the worst possible one to skip :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have that brush and it's worked fine for me.

As to the skipping, if it's a gunk spot you'll want to do some wet cleaning to get that off there, a dust/static brush won't cut it. If it's a scratch you might be out of luck.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Sockser posted:

I just got mine in yesterday and it came with a bonus American Football live 7" which is pretty cool and I'm excited to listed to.

And polyvinyl always throws in airheads, if you didn't know

drat, you got a 7"?
What a load of malarkey. Pretty jealous now.

Also I knew, I just like cherry.

Citizen Zee
Aug 25, 2004
It was music first, jerk.
Evening, gents, I'm just getting interested in the vinyl scene - thinking I'll just get a humble collection going of albums I really love. I've been waiting and looking for a turntable and my lady friend recently found this guy on sale. I'm thinking about grabbing it up, but was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts to share before I make the purchase. Seventy five dollars is around what I'm wanting to spend on a turntable at the most at this point in my budding hobby.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
No, that is a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty sure the Audio Technica AT-LP60 is the only decent turntable under $100, unless you can score a sweet vintage table.

[http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400043566&sr=8-1&keywords=atlp60[/b]

Citizen Zee
Aug 25, 2004
It was music first, jerk.

Doctor Cave posted:

No, that is a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty sure the Audio Technica AT-LP60 is the only decent turntable under $100, unless you can score a sweet vintage table.

drat, I thought that price might be a little too good to be true. What should I look for in a vintage turntable? I'll look over craigslist or something until I find something a little more suitable.

Edit: Actually, if I were to snag the used AT-LP60, what would you recommend I get with it speaker/cable wise?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What Doctor Cave means there by scoring a sweet vintage table is "you fall rear end-over-teakettle into a good deal from a grandmother who doesn't know what they're getting rid of or inheriting one from a relative." If you sit on craigslist and wait for a deal so you can save $20, you're not going to find anything.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Allen Wren posted:

What Doctor Cave means there by scoring a sweet vintage table is "you fall rear end-over-teakettle into a good deal from a grandmother who doesn't know what they're getting rid of or inheriting one from a relative." If you sit on craigslist and wait for a deal so you can save $20, you're not going to find anything.

Basically this. If you get lucky at a garage sale, or inherit something cool from a relative, or stumble across a craigslist seller who has no idea what they have, otherwise you will struggle to find much good for under $100. I'm not that knowledgeable about vintage tables as I don't have one, but there is a good thread in IYG that may help:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

The AT-LP60 has a built-in pre-amp so all you need is a half-decent pair of bookshelf speakers, and it apparently comes with cables.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

abraham linksys posted:

Anyone have any recommendation on a record brush? http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-LP-record-clean-brush/dp/B0006VMBHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400027719&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+brush is the top-seller on Amazon, but reviews are a bit mixed.

I have this brush and I must be doing something wrong with it. Every time I clean a record it becomes super static charged.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I normally don't buy gimmicky reissued and remastered stuff like that American Football set, but I couldn't resist hearing those demos and early recordings. And I'm also a total sucker for bands talking about the logistics of their music, which the book includes. It's so cool to hear how they thought of their songs, and gives a whole new light to that LP. Definitely worth it.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

abraham linksys posted:

Just bought a copy of Low that has some static on the B-side that I'd like to remove, hoping it's as simple as cleaning off some dust. It also has a really nasty skip in Sound & Vision that may or may not be fixable, man I hope it is because of all the songs on that record that is the worst possible one to skip :smith:

Record brushes are way, way overrated. All they do is get the superficial dust/lint off. If you're unlucky, you're even pushing the superficial dust (which doesn't really hurt anything) into the grooves.

I usually blow the bigger particles off, the needle will sort out the rest - just make sure to clean your needle often. Then, when you think a record is too dirty, clean it with a cloth and some cleaning fluid (whether you use the 'expensive' stuff or mix your own is up to you).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Doctor Cave posted:

Basically this. If you get lucky at a garage sale, or inherit something cool from a relative, or stumble across a craigslist seller who has no idea what they have, otherwise you will struggle to find much good for under $100. I'm not that knowledgeable about vintage tables as I don't have one, but there is a good thread in IYG that may help:

That's not really true. Maybe it depends a little on where you live, but I see great tt's on craigslist all the time for $100 and under.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you record collector scum? willing to bet some of you are!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I am certainly not, but at the same time nobody should ever care what the guy who ruined Black Flag thinks about them.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i am that guy i am the bad record man

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
My favorite thing about that was the guy in the comments bragging that all of his records and CDs are scratched because he loves music so much.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

haha, record collecting can be a cool and fun activity, unless you do it more obsessively than me which is stupid and dumb

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Defleshed posted:

I am certainly not, but at the same time nobody should ever care what the guy who ruined Black Flag thinks about them.

Black Flag made My War with Henry Rollins.

After Henry Rollins left, they made this -

Greg Ginn ruined Black Flag.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Blast Fantasto posted:

Black Flag made My War with Henry Rollins.

After Henry Rollins left, they made this -

Greg Ginn ruined Black Flag.

Yeah Rollins was just a passenger on the Greg Ginn poo poo train.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Rollins tried (and maybe succeeded?) to get a complete run of American Tapes.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

alg posted:

Music On Vinyl is doin' work:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/glassjaw/worship-and-tribute#.U3IxhPldVrf

Now to figure out how to get this in the US

Yeah, they have some stuff I've wanted in my collection for a long time. Any UK goons interested in working up some kind of exchange or something?

Also, if anyone has just the sleeve to Appetite for Destruction, I need one. I know it's a long shot, but I'm getting sick of seeing the one record on my shelf in just a paper/plastic sleeve.

Regarding brushes, I have that Audioquest brush and I have no complaints so far. It certainly helps more than just blowing on the record. Past that, I'm sure I'll be picking up a Spin Clean eventually.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Doctor Cave posted:

[http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400043566&sr=8-1&keywords=atlp60[/b]

I have a Audio Technica AT-LP50 which isn't nearly as sleek but it does certainly play my records.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
That new Black Flag record is loving awful god drat

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Really, like most of Rollins' output, it's based on self-loathing. So, basically, he's simply flipping some pronouns to go from talking about his magnificent, sleeved, boxed, pristine records to talking about YOUR magnificent, sleeved, boxed, pristine records.

E: and at the same time, I look out the door into the other room where my not-that-pristine records are, and yeah, feel a bit scummy. Ugh, this hobby.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I've sold records to Henry Rollins on Discogs a few times before. Cool guy.