Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
I'm still hung up on the backwards NACA-esque duct. Not sure WTF the point is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If nothing else, it gives a bit more stiffness to that cover.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

travisray2004 posted:

Yeah, I remembering posting in that thread and I think it was a goon's friend that owned that beast.

Why the gently caress would you want a manual in that thing? It's for expeditions, not severe offroading.

Expeditions...to the pole...are not severe offroading.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Everyone knows you want a Hilux for that anyway.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Slavvy posted:

You know what I'm referring to. Don't split hairs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Depending on the season it could be a sailing expedition!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

Can you elaborate (serious question)? I thought the "terrain" up there were ice formations that suck rear end to traverse, including giant ice chunk fields.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Wasabi the J posted:

Can you elaborate (serious question)? I thought the "terrain" up there were ice formations that suck rear end to traverse, including giant ice chunk fields.

I think he's being sarcastic, but then goons are terrible car poo poo so who knows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like i have another weekend project on the list.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Another well done version.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I always wanted to try VAT 69 after Lewis Nixon's obsession with it in BOB.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's a nice blend, and cheap enough to be my favourite binge scotch.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I always wanted to try VAT 69 after Lewis Nixon's obsession with it in BOB.

Same, I'll settle for evan williams though until I can get my hands on it though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A supercharged (switchable from the cockpit) GTV6 that is driven to and from the track almost every weekend of the summer:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warning, Jalopnik link but I've never heard this story. Now I want to see these heads.

quote:

Clearly interested in "one of our GM car engines," Soichiro bought a 1973 Chevy Impala with a big-rear end 5.7L V8 and had it air-freighted to Japan. I think you can see where this is heading. Honda instructed his engineers to design and build a CVCC system for the GM V8, and that's exactly what they did: they replaced the intake manifold, cylinder heads, and carburetor of the engine so that it used Honda's CVCC technology. He then had it flown back to Ann Arbor, where it was tested by the EPA.

Whereupon it almost met EPA requirements, with carbs and without a cat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Warning, Jalopnik link but I've never heard this story. Now I want to see these heads.

This might belong in another thread (like the stupid question thread), but since emissions requirements have come up:

I'm currently loving around with a 1999 Taurus. Everything under the hood is tightly packed and a pain in the rear end to work with. By comparison, I could drat near crawl into the engine bay of my Studebaker with the engine still inside.

So, how much is for emissions and how much is for fuel economy/quietness/compactness/etc.? Could you make a simple straight-6 engine like you used to get and get it to pass emissions requirements? The Taurus has a transmission cooler in the front, but the 52 year old automatic doesn't, you'd think we'd have come further and could have an automatic that didn't need cooling like that... or just use manuals.

I know there's always mention of Jeep using the same straight-6 for 30 years or whatever, but it looks pretty busy under the hood of a modern-ish Jeep. How much of that could be stripped out while still meeting legal requirements?

Edit: maybe little economy cars with a 4cyl, stick shift, no AC, manual windows, etc. are closer to this but of course they've got that engine mounted transversely and FWD which isn't quite as simple as the old style.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 15, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of the crampedness of modern engine bays isn't so much that there is more poo poo under the hood (although that is true), but that cars and their engine bays are a lot smaller than they used to be. You could put a modern drivetrain into an old 50s-era landbarge and still be able to swim around in the engine bay.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

IOwnCalculus posted:

quote:

"Well, I have looked at this design, and while it might work on some little toy motorcycle engine…I see no potential for it on one of our GM car engines."

...and here we see the hubris that dominated GM that allowed them to slip so far behind Honda and Toyota over the next two decades.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

This might belong in another thread (like the stupid question thread), but since emissions requirements have come up:

I'm currently loving around with a 1999 Taurus. Everything under the hood is tightly packed and a pain in the rear end to work with. By comparison, I could drat near crawl into the engine bay of my Studebaker with the engine still inside.

So, how much is for emissions and how much is for fuel economy/quietness/compactness/etc.? Could you make a simple straight-6 engine like you used to get and get it to pass emissions requirements? The Taurus has a transmission cooler in the front, but the 52 year old automatic doesn't, you'd think we'd have come further and could have an automatic that didn't need cooling like that... or just use manuals.

I know there's always mention of Jeep using the same straight-6 for 30 years or whatever, but it looks pretty busy under the hood of a modern-ish Jeep. How much of that could be stripped out while still meeting legal requirements?

Edit: maybe little economy cars with a 4cyl, stick shift, no AC, manual windows, etc. are closer to this but of course they've got that engine mounted transversely and FWD which isn't quite as simple as the old style.

Guinness nailed it on the fact that cars (and engine bays) are not as big as they used to be. There's more insulation, more crash structure, more everything in there.

Hell, wiring alone adds up. Consider pretty much any pre-emissions engine, they used a carb (no electricity), a basic distributor (one wire to power the coil, maybe a tach wire, plus plug wires), and a mechanical fuel pump. Now you've got coil-per-cylinder so you need at least two wires per coil, sequential fuel injection so you need two wires per injector (plus fuel rails), some way of measuring air so at the very least you have a MAP and IAT sensor (or a MAF and IAT), an engine coolant sensor, crank and camshaft sensors so you can time everything, knock sensors so you know when to back off on the ignition timing, variable valve timing so that you can hit your emissions and power and fuel economy targets...

That last line is really the kicker. You could probably build a simpler engine that would hit emissions targets, but it might suck down more fuel than needed and it would almost certainly make less power. They're three targets that all oppose each other in some way, but all of that poo poo that gets strapped onto a modern engine means that we don't need to sacrifice emissions to have a lean-burning engine that also makes a shitload of power compared to what it would have made 40 years ago.

In exchange for this wall of text, please also have the ultimate doing-more-with-less, the Caterham 160. Because even especially with next to no horsepower, a Caterham is always AI.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Panty Saluter posted:

...and here we see the hubris that dominated GM that allowed them to slip so far behind Honda and Toyota over the next two decades.

The good old NIH syndrome

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am honestly not sure whether to put this in this thread or the terrible thread.

Start by reading this.
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-is-it-like-to-daily-drive-a-dodge-viper-1468362841

Then read this.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html

What kind of loving maniac puts a 500hp V10 in a goddamn motorcycle, but then has to put 4 wheels on it to handle the weight, so now it won't really handle worth a poo poo either? I don't know if this is the best idea, or the worst idea.

Answer: the same 12 year old who wanted to design that awesome car? Yeah, he designed an awesome motorcycle to go with it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I am honestly not sure whether to put this in this thread or the terrible thread.

Start by reading this.
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-is-it-like-to-daily-drive-a-dodge-viper-1468362841

Then read this.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html

What kind of loving maniac puts a 500hp V10 in a goddamn motorcycle, but then has to put 4 wheels on it to handle the weight, so now it won't really handle worth a poo poo either? I don't know if this is the best idea, or the worst idea.

Answer: the same 12 year old who wanted to design that awesome car? Yeah, he designed an awesome motorcycle to go with it.

Have you not heard of the Tomahawk before? It's not so much a Viper-powered motorcycle as it is a Viper engine on wheels. There should be a tag on the handlebars reading "Twist handle for death."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hadn't. I suspect if you goosed the throttle too hard from a stop you'd end up standing there wondering why the hell your knees hurt and where your motorcycle went.

That death machine is... the platonic ideal of the Viper, in motorcycle form.

e: I only rag on them both because I wish I could get that motor for cheap enough to make the minitruck edition of the Viper. :(

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 16, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I always joked that there is probably enough grip and torque to do a standing backflip.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think whoever said that it is basically a powered display stand for the viper motor has the right idea.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw this gorgeous lady on the Magnolia bluffs today.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XehkMQpeyA

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

In exchange for this wall of text, please also have the ultimate doing-more-with-less, the Caterham 160. Because even especially with next to no horsepower, a Caterham is always AI.

Oh look, a great excuse to post my Caterham! I hope you don't mind... :)

The only environment where the paintjob doesn't seem garish:

A cat inspecting the Cat :3:. Next to my brother's classic Mini.

Feeling a little inferior next to a Diamante Roadster from -79. One of the 13 ever made.

As long as there's no ice on the roads, it's my daily driver. The lowered floors and the higher roll bar make the interior a little more roomy with the top on.

It's got a 1.8l Zetec with around 170bhp, although now it's probably a little less than that since last fall I installed less steep cams. It's a hilarious looking car and it's equally hilarious to drive! :D

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Saw a lovely thing while on the Isle of Wight

What's that badge on the hood?

Terrible interior shot

Bonus RS6

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

j.peeba posted:

Oh look, a great excuse to post my Caterham! I hope you don't mind... :)

It's got a 1.8l Zetec with around 170bhp, although now it's probably a little less than that since last fall I installed less steep cams. It's a hilarious looking car and it's equally hilarious to drive! :D

My Westfield has the same engine in stock form, do you have any good resources for tuning? A little more power would always be nice.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Raluek posted:

I think whoever said that it is basically a powered display stand for the viper motor has the right idea.

I saw it at the NYIAS back in the day, same show as the Enzo IIRC.

The Tomahawk had a bigger crowd.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My Westfield has the same engine in stock form, do you have any good resources for tuning? A little more power would always be nice.
The previous owner got the engine tuned so I don't really know where to get started. My engine is a silvertop Zetec and it's got at least carbs, cams and a ported head but I think I should have a more comprehensive list of the modifications at home, which I can check out if you want me to. Of course the easiest approach would be to order a kit from Raceline or some other Zetec tuning company. Or alternatively just take a look at their Zetec brochure for inspiration on sensible upgrades.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

j.peeba posted:

Caterham!

it's my daily driver.

:psyduck: Awesome AI poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Captured this exotic beauty in its natural environment.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Summer's here, and the toys are coming out of storage. Mustang Mach 1.

Pardon the link. Posting from app...

http://i.imgur.com/3mDvsz9.jpg

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I've actually seen the Tomahawk in person, and it's crazy. I used to work in advertising here in Detroit as a car photographer. Back when I was an apprentice, we did a gig at one of the Chrysler prototyping shops up in Auburn Hills, and as I was wandering around I found a room full of old Chrysler prototypes and show cars. There in the corner was the Tomahawk, all dusty and lonely, so I threw a leg over it and made VROOM-VROOM noises until I had to get back on set.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Summer's here, and the toys are coming out of storage. Mustang Mach 1.

Pardon the link. Posting from app...

http://i.imgur.com/3mDvsz9.jpg

Sadly not a real Mach 1, they didn't come in convertible. Sportsroof (aka Fastback) only.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
also no spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You could get the Mach 1 without a spoiler. Just watch 'Diamonds Are Forever'.