Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
The odd thing about Yodel/HDNL is that they're pretty OK here, still go by HDNL too. I had problems with them when I lived dahn sahth, but up here they're reliable and quick for both pickups and deliveries :shrug:

(There again, HDNL/Yodel are franchise owner-driver 'would you like to make easy money simply by driving your own car/van from home' type deals, and a lot varies depending on the individual)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

IceAgeComing posted:

Radio 4 is IMO one of the best parts of the BBC, even though it only seems to be listened to by older middle class people. I don't listen to it 24/7 (usually have Today on in the background in the morning and sometimes catch the news before other stuff is on), but from what I gather it seems like it challenges bullshit a lot more than the TV news does. Again; that's based on half-listening to only a little bit of its output, I could be completely wrong!

The news broadcasts tend to be good to very good: you don't get any of the breakfast tv vacuity that you sometimes see on the tv news. The rest of it is very definitely aimed at older middle-class people (and well-educated, liberal ones, at that), so it depends whether that's your thing or not.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In our time is loving awesome.

I used to listen to radio4 all the time when I worked with my father in his workshop when I was a teenager and it is generally pretty good. I hate Today though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The worst part is the loving archers omibus on Sunday morning. I loving hate the archers :argh:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

UK in "Not everything is completely poo poo" Shocker: Ranked best in Europe for LGBT rights for the third year in a row :toot:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pasco posted:

UK in "Not everything is completely poo poo" Shocker: Ranked best in Europe for LGBT rights for the third year in a row :toot:

There are people who can sort that out, though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pasco posted:

Genuinely glad that we're good at something. That's brilliant news. Although we've got a long way to go.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

JFairfax posted:

In our time is loving awesome.

A lecturer at my uni recommended it to my class a few months ago and I've only just gotten into it. The best thing about it is that they share literally every programme of the thing on the BBC website (and through itunes as a podcast) which is something that the BBC should really do for more things. A prime example of a typical Radio 4 programme though - something that's interesting to quite a few people, but wouldn't get commissioned anywhere else on UK radio because they'd get more listeners for another loving call-in show hosted by George Galloway.

Umiapik posted:

breakfast tv vacuity

Somehow this has gotten worse; ITV's new thing literally has a segment called "Wheel of Cash!" on it which I'm sure has been used as a joke in some TV programme somewhere...

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Apparently on BBC Parliament tonight at 19.30 Prorogation ceremony. Is it worth watching, or is just all the MP's wearing their own clothes and playing boardgames?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It involves the House of Commons going to the Lords to watch a bunch of people wearing silly clothes doff their hats a few times.

Which is pretty much the Westminster parliament in a nutshell!

e:

Pasco posted:

Just downloaded the full map and its got quite a few interesting things: with a bunch of Central European countries being pretty good - Croatia is as good as Germany for LGBT rights for example; and Italy being one of the shittest places in Europe. I do wonder exactly what it considers past laws though: Monaco is at 10% (0% is "gross violation of human rights, discrimination" and 100% is "respect of human rights, full equality") while Ukraine is at 12%. I can't imagine that its harder to live as a gay person in Monaco than in Ukraine if only because you have France nearby which is one of the better countries in Europe regarding LGBT rights; and some of that must also influence public feeling. That sort of societal thing is much harder to quantify though: while laws are pretty easy to.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 14, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

IceAgeComing posted:

Somehow this has gotten worse; ITV's new thing literally has a segment called "Wheel of Cash!" on it which I'm sure has been used as a joke in some TV programme somewhere...

Yeah but Andi Peters!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Yeah but Andi Peters!

Is that a proof of life photo? How much is he demanding for the safe return of Ed the Duck? I always knew he was a monster!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lady Gaza posted:

I had a similar situation. Our flat was quite run down and the landlord took a fair chunk of the deposit, apparently to fix a lot of damage and clean the carpets etc. A few months later we got a call saying everything had been ripped out and replaced and that they were looking for reliable tenants...obviously the deposit wasn't used to fix anything at all, just fund the renovation.

This was also the landlord who left loads of her stuff in the flat, wanted her mother to stay with us while visiting from abroad, and wanted the flat back for 1 week for herself while she was also visiting from abroad. I don't think she understood that while we were living there it was our flat and not her own personal hotel.

Let's get some cheer up here! I had a great experience a few years back, our east London letting agency went into administration, meaning we didn't have to deal with any of their bullshit for the last 9 months of the tenancy, the actual landlords were nice people who sorted out the (very few) problems quickly and efficiently, and when it came to our deposit - which we were shitscared about because if a bankrupted letting agency didn't put our deposit in the protection scheme then how can you sue them for compensation? - we just got it all back with no hassle, which is the only time that's ever happened.

If only every letting agency could go bankrupt!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

For something completely different, guess the World leader!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He probably went to find out what happened to the housing bubble after Mark Carney left to go to England to prop up our housing bubble.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Squalitude posted:

Let's get some cheer up here! I had a great experience a few years back, our east London letting agency went into administration, meaning we didn't have to deal with any of their bullshit for the last 9 months of the tenancy, the actual landlords were nice people who sorted out the (very few) problems quickly and efficiently, and when it came to our deposit - which we were shitscared about because if a bankrupted letting agency didn't put our deposit in the protection scheme then how can you sue them for compensation? - we just got it all back with no hassle, which is the only time that's ever happened.

Brought a tear to my eye sunshine :)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Squalitude posted:

I rented a place through a pack of bastards that I later discovered were owned by the landlord and let out all of his properties. I couldn't have been happier when I saw one day that someone (presumably another disgruntled tenant) had stolen a land rover and driven it through the front of their shop.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gonzo McFee posted:

He probably went to find out what happened to the housing bubble after Mark Carney left to go to England to prop up our housing bubble.

The Canadian bubble is still going strong, so apparently Carney builds to last.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Canadian bubble is still going strong, so apparently Carney builds to last.

It'll collapse. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Came home to a bunch of purple and yellow garbage that someone had shoved through my door.
Turned it into some lovely confetti and hand delivered it to the sender's house because I am such a nice person. I hope it makes this bright, sunny day even cheerier for them :)

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
In the Metro yesterday they had a bunch of letters on the write-in about Landlords and how misunderstood they were and how it's so unfair that the tenant has so much protection in comparison to themselves, and how beastly the tenants were by making a terrible mess when they leave.

There was a wonderful bit about how if things got worse they would remove their properties from the market and not rent it out at all. Which sounds like a great, sustainable idea to me. We should encourage this.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Are they really poo poo then? My partner mentioned possibly using them for her sideline business thing.

Yes.

A friend had his XBox stolen in the post when using Yodel. It had been signed off as delivered when he called them up but he'd never recieved it and neither had anyone else in his house. When he got a replacement sent, he witnessed the guy parking outside and just tossing the box (which clearly said 'fragile') onto the ground in front of his house before knocking on the door.

Someone else left instructions for them to leave their Yodel-delivered parcel next to the back door in a little alcove sheltered from the weather if they weren't in. They came back and found it sodden wet just left next to the front door.

Don't use Yodel.

fake edit: in their defence this was several years ago and they may well have shaped up since given the number of complaints they were getting.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

In the Metro yesterday they had a bunch of letters on the write-in about Landlords and how misunderstood they were and how it's so unfair that the tenant has so much protection in comparison to themselves, and how beastly the tenants were by making a terrible mess when they leave.

There was a wonderful bit about how if things got worse they would remove their properties from the market and not rent it out at all. Which sounds like a great, sustainable idea to me. We should encourage this.

A reminder that the Metro is 'The Mail' for people unwilling to pay for their racist views (really, it's the same people).

So yeah, you're not going to get a sensible view on housing - or pretty much anything - from them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Too many landlords don't seem to understand that houses aren't footballs and you can't take them home with you when you stomp off in a huff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How much of the market is homeowners letting out rooms? I can see that side of the market being slightly more susceptible to increased rent regulation.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
In news that will shock nobody, a jobcentre whistleblower claims that since the coalition were elected it's standard policy to dick over the jobless.

The Mirror posted:

“Customers were being deliberately and inappropriately targeted,” the whistle-blower says. “I would see people crying in frustration, knowing they have been stitched up. Yet my Jobcentre was held up as a shining example to others. One of the district managers came to congratulate us. He said, ‘I see these people hanging round the precinct, being lazy, drinking, taking drugs’. That was a very senior leader. Another said, ‘These people are taking your money’. There was a total disrespect for the customer.”

Advisers were told to “inconvenience” benefit claimants, he says. “I was told see them face to face, agitate them. ‘Let’s inconvenience the customer’, they said, ‘get on these people from day one’.

“They were treated appallingly, lots of conditions put on them. Many of them were vulnerable people with low self-esteem or coming back off sick. We were setting customers up to fail.

“If I do my job well and their claim is managed well, there should be fewer sanctions. Instead, good advisers were the ones who sanctioned more people. It was a daily mantra, ‘Have you sanctioned anyone?’

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

In news that will shock nobody, a jobcentre whistleblower claims that since the coalition were elected it's standard policy to dick over the jobless.

Call us 'customer' is a loving disgrace too, stop that poo poo.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

SybilVimes posted:

I suppose "customer" at least implies by its more usual meanings that you're supposed to help them. It's better than what most of the tabloids would use.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Well we wouldn't want to infer that the welfare state is there for something like the welfare of the poor and vulnerable, better make it sound like a shop or something.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

'Customer' implies we have a choice.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SybilVimes posted:

Yeah I remember when I signed on and asked why they say 'customer' instead of 'client' or 'claimant' or something they just got told it changed one day for 'reasons'.

It just made the entire thing sound really weird.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Trickjaw posted:

'Customer' implies we have a choice.
It also implies that we're always right.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Apparently my Ukip mother has taken a break from helping the campaigning because "I have been getting fed up with people saying silly things"

Indeed.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

KKKlean Energy posted:

Apparently my Ukip mother has taken a break from helping the campaigning because "I have been getting fed up with people saying silly things"

Indeed.

Erm.. from which side?

e: Pilchenstein, indeed. Nothing about the word customer describes the JCP experience.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Chucat posted:

Yeah I remember when I signed on and asked why they say 'customer' instead of 'client' or 'claimant' or something they just got told it changed one day for 'reasons'.

It just made the entire thing sound really weird.

I worked for the DWP for around a year and apparently they had saatchi & saatchi in under labour to modernize their business paradigm into new epochs or whatever bullshit- "customers" was a phrase they introduced. I also got told it was bollocks and I would probably never need to use it, though I got told off on every assessment for not calling the "customer" by their first name. gently caress that, especially when I wasn't obliged to give mine and they couldn't properly mark me down for it.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

My original JSA advisor was a horrible, patronizing vinegar tits. I wrote a letter of complaint and so they put me with someone else, who so far hasn't given me any problems. I'm not sure if I was risking a sanction or if my local JCP just happened to be understanding.

On the other hand they've been a huge pain about me missing WP appointments that they had never actually informed me about. Right now I'm wrestling with them because they sent appointment letters to my previous address even though they knew I had moved, I guess I'm supposed to periodically break into my old flat in case there's mail there so I don't get screwed.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Broniki posted:

My original JSA advisor was a horrible, patronizing vinegar tits. I wrote a letter of complaint and so they put me with someone else, who so far hasn't given me any problems. I'm not sure if I was risking a sanction or if my local JCP just happened to be understanding.

On the other hand they've been a huge pain about me missing WP appointments that they had never actually informed me about. Right now I'm wrestling with them because they sent appointment letters to my previous address even though they knew I had moved, I guess I'm supposed to periodically break into my old flat in case there's mail there so I don't get screwed.

That exact scenario (letters not being rec'd) got me sanctioned, and no amount of common sense, patience, or anything would dissuade them. Stay on the ball, mate, you could well be on their poo poo list.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pilchenstein posted:

It also implies that we're always right.

Please tell me you're joking. "Always right" types are the absolute second worst, after managers who will throw you under a bus to score points with always-rights.

Trickjaw posted:

Nothing about the word customer describes the JCP experience.

Try thinking of it in terms of the randian definition; customers aren't to be helped, but battled with until both of you (or just you, at least) get what you want. They want your jealously guarded public money, you want them sanctioned for a period of no less than six weeks. :v: (I suggest this not because it's a definition I like, but because I think it's probably much closer to the mindset of the people who suggested using the word "customer" than "the customer is always right")

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Try thinking of it in terms of the randian definition; customers aren't to be helped,

It's about seeing the moving object on the outside of the bulletproof glass as something other than a human being, makes it easier for the bastards to go home and not think about the people they've put in the gutter today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you want a more cynical take, customer redefines the relationship, so instead of being about a public servant fulfilling an obligation to members of society, suddenly it's more of a business contract that both sides are entering into voluntarily. That way it's much easier to talk about 'savings' through shirking your commitments, or to frame people as unwilling to hold up their part of 'the deal'. Some customers just come in to browse, you know? (As opposed to a 'client' which implies an actual established working relationship, and some responsibility to provide what they need.)

Like Sybil says, it's not just marketing-speak - it's a way of altering the perceptions of the people who work there, encouraging them to see their role in a completely different way and internalise all these poo poo attitudes.

• Locked thread