Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ice Fist posted:

That's what I mean. I had that NPC chick that I forget the name of with me and he would do is two swing combo and end with the jump attack with such frequency that I could never get a safe opening at the end of a combo.

"Oh another jump attack? Have to back off. Another one? Can't get close"

He just kept doing that over and over and because his pulse doesn't have any tells when he's in sword is in the ground you can never be sure.

Kinda sounds like you got unlucky more than anything else. He doesn't normally use that attack very frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kiggles posted:

His tell is "sword is in the ground and a player character is close", fortunately, NPC phantoms do not trigger the pulse, or Lucatiel would never survive the encounter.

He was absolutely doing it to Lucatiel.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I just realized I won't be able to get a second copy of Crystal Magic Weapon without going into NG+. This means I have to use a spell regen consumable or the spell uses ring to enchant both of my Blue Flames one time. :smith:

Another option is simply having enough attunement to get a bonus cast. I don't know what the exact breakpoint is, but at 50 ATT I have two casts of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Batigh posted:

Another option is simply having enough attunement to get a bonus cast. I don't know what the exact breakpoint is, but at 50 ATT I have two casts of it.

I looked it up a little while ago, it's 43. That's a little far off for me right now (I'm not exactly a traditional caster, so I only have 10 ATN.)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ice Fist posted:

He was absolutely doing it to Lucatiel.

What I ended up doing was buying a bunch of poison throwing knives and throwing them at Smelter when I didn't feel safe approaching. Poison works pretty well on him.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Why is every single shade or sun-bro a gimmick dude? All I need is a dude with a big gently caress off shield so I can cast magic missile into the dark. :smith:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tarezax posted:

What I ended up doing was buying a bunch of poison throwing knives and throwing them at Smelter when I didn't feel safe approaching. Poison works pretty well on him.

This is a really, really good idea.

I mean, I got close enough where I'm convinced I can do him with just Lucatiel without poison knives, but I'm not going to let my melee purity get in the way of an easier win.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Spudd posted:

Why is every single shade or sun-bro a gimmick dude? All I need is a dude with a big gently caress off shield so I can cast magic missile into the dark. :smith:

Roughly 51% of the dudes I summon are burly bald punch-dudes. I'm one of them.
I think it's hilarious how common and popular they are in Dark Souls 2. It's like its 'thing' right now. I think nearly every time I summon somebody there's always something funny or gimmicky about them. It's like a costume drama or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does agility affect attack speed? I didn't originally swing the pursuer ultra greatsword as fast as I can now.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Roughly 51% of the dudes I summon are burly bald punch-dudes. I'm one of them.
I think it's hilarious how common and popular they are in Dark Souls 2. It's like its 'thing' right now. I think nearly every time I summon somebody there's always something funny or gimmicky about them. It's like a costume drama or something.

Well I guess all I really need is someone not to die, I'm built around killing bosses and I really wanna move on but they always die and the boss one shots me :(

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I played my first character as a 100% 80 stability tower shield tank with 2000 hp and maxed the sunbro covenant just having the bosses beat on my seemingly infinite stamina bar. Of course i still lost dozens of hosts to the smelter demon explosion, that thing is like a one-shotting beginner trap you as a summon can do absolutely nothing to prevent. :)

Thing is, by now he's close to finishing ng+ and mostly coops with friends in voicechat and i'm also playing my other glass cannon caster, so i imagine others are doing that as well and you have to look a bit harder to find one of those "safer" builds.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I came across a guy using those dual shields earlier, I wanted it to work for him since it was hilarious, but he was really easy to beat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spudd posted:

Because that's the most fun :colbert: Besides which do you think is gonna be more entertaining; Joe Generic Greatsword, or someone punching everything while dressed up as an astronaut?

What boss is giving you trouble? Maybe I can help.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Spudd posted:

Because when you have played the game enough, all you want to do is gimmick-related multiplayer. Not much point, otherwise.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I'm a real motherfucker.

The panic when people get hit by the first rat for nearly 600 damage makes me feel warm inside.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
edit: ^^^ I don't know that I have gone through either rat area in like 10 playthroughs because you can just cut around them. :shrug:

Agdayne competes well with Lucatiel (and Lonesome Hunter) for Worst NPC Summon Award.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 14, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Agdayne competes well with Lucatiel (and Lonesome Hunter) for Worst NPC Summon Award.

Agdayne's role is to distract Velstadt so you can sneak in more hits. I thought he did that admirably, honestly, he takes a lot of damage.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Attestant posted:

DaS2 Havel's set has this weird plastic-y look about. It's like some kind of bootleg version of the original.

There's a mod for that:
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/69/

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I also realized I don't have to murder the dudes near Agdayne. That's a good thing really, because those sickle guys are pretty brutal.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

edit: ^^^ I don't know that I have gone through either rat area in like 10 playthroughs because you can just cut around them. :shrug:

I'm catching people who want Santiers Spear so it's a noble cause.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You can always use the Hexer's Hood if you can live with the fact that it's ugly as hell.

I dunno, it looks pretty great with the Agadyne gear.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

Time_pants posted:

I really don't see how it could possibly be worse than the Monastery Scimitar. I used up every single Ascetic I had (13) and I still don't have one.

Put your may-or-may-not-help-drops gear on and sit at the second bonfire. Quit the game. Copy your save file somewhere. Go kill the painting guy and if he doesn't drop the scimitar, quit the game and paste the early save. Try again. I'm assuming thats what most people do when farming for the weird stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there a facsimile of velka's rapier in Dark Souls 2? One of my favorite things about my "overpowered sorcery curbstomp" second playthrough in 1 was that sword.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ice_Mallet posted:

I dunno, it looks pretty great with the Agadyne gear.

Neat Belmont. I wish I could do the same thing care free, but even with Bracing Knuckle ring +2, that old whip is extremely fragile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

Is there a facsimile of velka's rapier in Dark Souls 2? One of my favorite things about my "overpowered sorcery curbstomp" second playthrough in 1 was that sword.

Blue flame? It counts as a sword and a staff so its even more fun than Velka's for sorerers.

Comedy option you can powerstance them :black101:

Alternatively just infuse whatever you want with Magic :cheeky:

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Does gavlan the npc that lets me sell poo poo go somewhere after harvest valley? I checked back at the wharf and he wasn't there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Does gavlan the npc that lets me sell poo poo go somewhere after harvest valley? I checked back at the wharf and he wasn't there.

Doors of Pharros.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zaphod42 posted:

Blue flame? It counts as a sword and a staff so its even more fun than Velka's for sorerers.

Comedy option you can powerstance them :black101:

Alternatively just infuse whatever you want with Magic :cheeky:

You joke, but power stanced blue flame is actually really strong. You can get an easy buff on both weapons, couple that with magic infusion and a lot of INT and you have some serious damage output.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If you use a magic weapon buff on Blue Flame, does that also boost the damage from spells cast through it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King of Solomon posted:

You joke, but power stanced blue flame is actually really strong. You can get an easy buff on both weapons, couple that with magic infusion and a lot of INT and you have some serious damage output.

Speaking of, I'm trying to get the absolute most amount of elements possible on a weapon at one time because hitting an enemy only to see them showered in sparks and fire and black magic is cool as hell, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

The Heide Knight sword comes with natural lightning, so does that mean I an enchant it with a different element? And after that can I further splinter the damage by buffing it? Or can you still not buff element-infused weapons?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

^^^^
Almost certain that you can buff infused weapons. I at least know for certain that my trusty magic mace can be buffed with shadow weapon. Also I've had great results on the whole multielemental front with the dragonriders bow, infused with darkness, firing lightning arrows. Lets see people guard against that :getin:

RBA Starblade posted:

Does agility affect attack speed? I didn't originally swing the pursuer ultra greatsword as fast as I can now.
Nobody seems to be 100% certain what agility does but the consensus seems to be that no, it doesn't affect attack speed. I personally think it affects how quickly you use items and how quickly you can react again after making a move e.g. How quickly you can dodge roll backwards after attacking.

Now I have a few questions, do all the various weapons that get attack bonuses under certain conditions also get weakened if those conditions aren't met? Like, I'm almost certain dark pyromancy does reduced damage while human but does the old whip do less damage against nonhollow enemies? Does the staff of amana do less when you're in hollow form etc. ?

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 14, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Raygereio posted:

If you use a magic weapon buff on Blue Flame, does that also boost the damage from spells cast through it?

From what I've read elsewhere, yes. Allegedly Crystal Magic Weapon'd Blue Flame is the strongest raw damage catalyst in the game...for 90~ seconds.

I don't have the Staff of Wisdom yet so I can't test it myself though. Working on it :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of, I'm trying to get the absolute most amount of elements possible on a weapon at one time because hitting an enemy only to see them showered in sparks and fire and black magic is cool as hell, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

The Heide Knight sword comes with natural lightning, so does that mean I an enchant it with a different element? And after that can I further splinter the damage by buffing it? Or can you still not buff element-infused weapons?

You can infuse it yeah. Lightning Heide Knight will have even more lightning damage and lightning scaling, but will have less physical damage and physical scaling. Its worth it though if you have decent FTH.

Also you can enchant a blade you've infused, yup! (but you can't use items like pine resins, wtf?)

Sunlight Blade Lightning Heide Knight Sword. Yes.

Raygereio posted:

I doubt it... but now you're making me doubt myself. Warrants testing!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yes. Using Crystal Magic Weapon apparently makes it the second best catalyst in the game for sorceries.

quote:

Nobody seems to be 100% certain what agility does but the consensus seems to be that no, it doesn't affect attack speed. I personally think it affects how quickly you use items and how quickly you can react again after making a move e.g. How quickly you can dodge roll backwards after attacking.

That's weird, I wonder why it's so much faster now then. I know agility affects chugging some estus and iframes for rolls.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Farmed the Ruin Sentinel armour, real goofy looking, dumpy baby sentinel.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ran into my first hacker today invading in undead crypt, it was some guy with infinite health. I guess infinite health doesn't help when you stunlock them off a cliff. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Not attack speed, no. That's defined by the weapon fighting style only AFAIK.

It effects item usage, like estus flasks, it effects how fast you pull up / put down your shield, (which indirectly allows you to pull off faster backstabs) and it increases the iframes of your roll.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its nice that if you know where to go, running through the Gutter/Black Gulch takes about 5 minutes. It doesn't require a bunch of crazy jumps like Blighttown skipping does either.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I meant more in terms of moveset, particularly vicious backstabs/riposte damage, but the blue flame definitely has piqued my interest. I'll have to give it a look see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Agdayne's role is to distract Velstadt so you can sneak in more hits. I thought he did that admirably, honestly, he takes a lot of damage.

Lucatiel is also very good at this. I killed both the Lost Sinner and Flexile Sentry on the first to largely thanks to Lucatiel's tanking.