Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think you guys are being a little overly critical.

The AoS threads might also carry over into the Netflix series or the Agent Carter prequel or even the movies. The show had a rocky start, but they've proven, I think, that they're willing to carry threads through multiple mediums. AoS basically ignored Thor 2 with a dew minor references and a small crossocer, but was much more reactionary to TWS. I think now that they've dipped their toes further in, we're going to see a lot more synergy between the properties.

Marvel & Disney clearly know what they're doing. At least from my perspective.

Finding the alien in Agent Carter would be a nice tie-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

Not to mention potentially seeing the series of events that could lead to Peter Quill being abducted or semt into space.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I get what Waterhaul is saying, but the fact that Skye still appears to be a completely normal human is the only dangling plot thread that really bothered me. That subplot has been percolating even longer than the alien corpse, has been teased a lot more, and really felt like it should have been moved forward more in the finale.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Barry Convex posted:

I get what Waterhaul is saying, but the fact that Skye still appears to be a completely normal human is the only dangling plot thread that really bothered me. That subplot has been percolating even longer than the alien corpse, has been teased a lot more, and really felt like it should have been moved forward more in the finale.

It seems like each season is gonna have a general theme, based largely on what movies are coming out at the time. Season 1 was about Hydra shenanigans, and perhaps season 2 is gonna be about space stuff. So they dealt with the aspects of the mysteries that relate to Shield & Hydra, but the space parts will have to wait until next season, for the most part.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

I think Carter will be airing age or alongside shield 2

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think Carter will be airing age or alongside shield 2

It's airing during the Shield winter break

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All you guys talk about is loving AoS.

Anyway, Greg Berlanti tweeted that Ollie is going to be part of that Flash sneak peak after the Arrow finale so I guess Ollie is going to be a part of the Flash pilot/premiere.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Anyway, Greg Berlanti tweeted that Ollie is going to be part of that Flash sneak peak after the Arrow finale so I guess Ollie is going to be a part of the Flash pilot/premiere.

Don't worry, I imagine we'll talk about Arrow after that finale airs tonight, too. But don't be surprised if all the posts are just everyone saying "that was awesome" wrapped up with someone saying "well, I guess we all agree then. nothing left to say" and then we go back to picking apart the many, many serious faults of AoS or Gotham.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

There's only 2 shows on TV right now. And the other one didn't air last night.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

zoux posted:

We can talk about how boring and inaccessible Arrow is, if you'd prefer. Or how Arrow and Flash desperately want to live in a shared universe, but won't likely cross over with MoS or Gotham...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We can talk about how boring and inaccessible Arrow is, if you'd prefer. Or how Arrow and Flash desperately want to live in a shared universe, but won't likely cross over with MoS or Gotham...

We can talk about how your opinion is wrong and dumb!

I mean seriously what the gently caress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Arrow and Flash not crossing over with Gotham and MOS is a good thing. They should be kept in their own separate little awesome corner and not have people interfering with them.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

XboxPants posted:

It seems like each season is gonna have a general theme, based largely on what movies are coming out at the time. Season 1 was about Hydra shenanigans, and perhaps season 2 is gonna be about space stuff. So they dealt with the aspects of the mysteries that relate to Shield & Hydra, but the space parts will have to wait until next season, for the most part.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't expecting to find out what the diagram from E4 was, where the alien corpse came from, or who/what Skye's parents were, but I think all the allusions that she isn't quite biologically human should have had some kind of concrete payoff here, not merely led to an S2 teaser scene. C'est la vie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, yeah, I wasn't expecting to find out what the diagram from E4 was, where the alien corpse came from, or who/what Skye's parents were, but I think all the allusions that she isn't quite biologically human should have had some kind of concrete payoff here, not merely led to an S2 teaser scene. C'est la vie.

Yeah, it definitely was disappointing. I'd say it's fair to say that's a failing of this show. If you're gonna focus so much on some story thread only to say "lol we're not dealing with that this season"... if that's the case, don't focus on it so much to begin with.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The only problem with the running plot threads on SHIELD was there wasn't nearly enough of them in the early going when they were trying to be CSI:Super Power Division. It's a comic book show, serialized fiction is kind of the idea.

Dexo posted:

Counterpoint: The AV Club reviewer literally didn't pick up on the fact that the "Incentives program" was the family members that they were holding hostage in a facility. When it was all but stated.

Yeah, I really have to question whether that guy was even watching the whole episode it wasn't exactly subtle, the climax hinges on Skye figuring it out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barry Convex posted:

I hate to bring up Fringe again, but they did do something similar with Peter. The whole season there was hints that something was up with him, and it was not until the finale you find out that he was dead and also there is an alternate universe. The second season was then mostly about this fact. They could be doing something similar. The start of the season will be us finding more about her past, and a good chance that its due to the crazy writing Phil is doing we find out about it. Something that could not have happened if he did not learn the truth about what happened, as being brainwashed keeps the alien language at bay.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 14, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
So one of the big legal things with the MCU is that they can't use the word 'mutant', or really acknowledge them very directly. Flowers however seems incredibly hellbent on bringing the subject up. Is this reflecting an upcoming change in license rights? Or is season two just gonna be tap dancing around the M word nonstop?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slugworth posted:

So one of the big legal things with the MCU is that they can't use the word 'mutant', or really acknowledge them very directly. Flowers however seems incredibly hellbent on bringing the subject up. Is this reflecting an upcoming change in license rights? Or is season two just gonna be tap dancing around the M word nonstop?

They are not mutants they are miracles as seen at the end of Winter Soldier, or just called inhumans.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
SHIELD went from bad to slightly better than mediocre, in my opinion. I'm glad others are getting more mileage out of it, but I just can't seem to give a drat about any characters, including Coulson. I liked him in the movies, but have gotten pretty tired of him throughout the series.

Even Sam Jackson seemed pretty bored working on the show. It is funny how the long running Marvel/DC debate has moved to television with the SHIELD/Arrow debate.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Slugworth posted:

Most people think this is a strong hint at Inhumans, since they are based on mutation as well with the whole Terrigen Mist.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 14, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Plus she mentioned something about wanting to know what she will become, which sounds a lot like the terrigenesis stuff happening on the books

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Jack posted:

By staying in their own universe they don't have to worry about waiting for an episode of another tv show/a movie to come out so they can finally start, you know, being good. As for the accessibility there had definitely been more world building in season 2, but I really don't see what's wrong with that.
Meanwhile tonight has Team Arrow vs Team Deathstrokes and that is all kinds of awesome.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ahh, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, so I guess that explains that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Ahh, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, so I guess that explains that.

Nah, it's all speculation at this point. All Winter Soldier did to address it was Baron Strucker monologuing over shots of Wanda and Pietro showing off their powers in labs/cells.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXsnR-2AvU
Here's the full Flash teaser. Interesting to see they're keeping the comic style lightning streaks and he's not just plain runs fast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXsnR-2AvU
Here's the full Flash teaser. Interesting to see they're keeping the comic style lightning streaks and he's not just plain runs fast.

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Is it fall yet?

That looks AMAZING

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Is it fall yet?

That looks AMAZING

Seriously, I don't care if it's a trope, or lame, or bad writing, I loving love the whole "dude gets superpowers and is loving psyched about it" type of stories.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I really hope that, like in the 90's Flash show, Barry needs to constantly stuff his face to make up for the calorie burn of moving so fast.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Error 404 posted:

Seriously, I don't care if it's a trope, or lame, or bad writing, I loving love the whole "dude gets superpowers and is loving psyched about it" type of stories.

That's not a trope or even cliché, it's how anyone who got awesome super powers would act, give me that any day over moping around because I'm Superman.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DynamicSloth posted:

That's not a trope or even cliché, it's how anyone who got awesome super powers would act, give me that any day over moping around because I'm Superman.

Seriously. I'm so incredibly tired of "Oh, I've been given godlike powers that can change the world. I'm a FREAK now!" and other similar Refuse the Call bullshit responses. That "Yeah!" alone made me far more likely to watch The Flash.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to the Arrow episode I thought it started a bit dodgy with the CW's budget definitely showing in a few places. However I loved every scene between Merlyn and Thea, and I love how the show treats Merlyn as clearly loving unhinged, especially when he tells Thea that she was right to shoot him. I am glad that they didn't redeem Merlyn completely, but I was also pretty shocked to see that he didn't play much of a role in the fight against Slade, and was just there to tell Thea that he is insane but he is also a proud daddy.
After that most of the stuff surrounding Slade and Ollie was really well handled, while the stuff besides Ollie and Slade was meh-ish. I did like the twist in Ollie's plan, and glad they did it. Also interested in seeing where the next season goes with Ollie meeting up with Waller all those years ago.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

=

Even Sam Jackson seemed pretty bored working on the show. It is funny how the long running Marvel/DC debate has moved to television with the SHIELD/Arrow debate.

I legit enjoy SHIELD. It's one of only a very tv shows that I not only watch, but make an attempt to watch as it airs.

But there's no SHIELD/Arrow debate. Arrow is hands down a better show in every single way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Arrow is a greasy loving cheeseburger that isn't ashamed to be what it is. AoS is also a greasy cheeseburger, but it is trying to market itself as "gourmet" even though it is being sold out of a cheap fast food joint. That said with the finale SHIELD finally handed out a ton of napkins and wrapped everything in a paper bag instead of trying to convince me that I needed a plate and silverware.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the fight scene between Ward and May was better than the Ollie/Slade fight. The middle fight in Arrow was also entertaining but honestly on the level of a Koichi Sakomoto power rangers fighting putty patrol type fight.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

greatn posted:

I think the fight scene between Ward and May was better than the Ollie/Slade fight. The middle fight in Arrow was also entertaining but honestly on the level of a Koichi Sakomoto power rangers fighting putty patrol type fight.

I think most shows would have difficulty topping the Ward/May fight. But yeah the Slade/Ollie fight was disappointing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The May out of nowhere strike was pretty loving hysterical.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That whole fight scene cemented, to me at least, the idea that they aren't going to try and redeem Ward. The way Ward actively tried to kill/severely injure May and the way she hurt him to end the fight was straight up villain territory. Also, for the final bit in chains Ward looked pretty pissed off.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
When it comes down to Arrow vs. Shield, since the Hydra arc I have enjoyed Agents of Shield far more. They both have crippling weaknesses that keep them from being truly great shows - Arrow's soap opera constantly changing character motivations bullshit and Shield's obnoxiously drawn out bad mystery bullshit. While I quit watching Shield several times during the season, I never had an overwhelming urge to turn off an episode in the middle of it. Arrow, however, constantly tempts me to do that with 20 minutes stretches of cheesy bullshit, even in its finale episodes this season (Oliver and Laurel fumbling around in rubble for a good 10 minutes; Sara waffling on whether she is a "hero," saving a child from a burning building, and then hearing a random cop in the station muse, "I wonder if that blonde lady who saved the kid is having doubts over whether or not she is a hero, cause let me tell you, she shouldn't have doubts. She IS a hero. That was proof. I wish I knew who she was so I could tell her that in person. Oh well, hopefully she knows anyway, and now can focus on helping the city defeat the army of soldiers attacking our city.")

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

muscles like this? posted:

That whole fight scene cemented, to me at least, the idea that they aren't going to try and redeem Ward. The way Ward actively tried to kill/severely injure May and the way she hurt him to end the fight was straight up villain territory. Also, for the final bit in chains Ward looked pretty pissed off.

He's in an interesting place because he is what the main characters on the show feared they were: Agents of Nothing. He was a longtime agent of SHIELD, but not really because he was really an agent of Hydra, but not really because he was only really working for Garrett. He was really Grant Ward: Agent of Garrett. There's a really telling moment when Garrett is reacting to the treatment and shows that he no longer needs Ward, wanting to reward him with what Ward wants and Ward freezes up. All Ward's ever cared about are Skye (that ship has sailed) and doing Garrett's bidding. Without Garrett needing him to be his little soldier, he doesn't know what he's all about.

He didn't believe in SHIELD*, he didn't believe in Hydra and by the end he didn't even believe in Garrett. Now he's got absolutely nothing to live for except maybe revenge. That scene of him standing there while being talked down at by Coulson was great because he lost everything and now he has to live with it.

*Roman Reigns would be so ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Flash extended trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g

Those fuckers did it, Reverse Flash :stare:
AMELL!!!

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Seriously, is it fall yet?