Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pimpmust posted:

Only played Company of Heroes "seriously" before Wargame, and honestly that game could do without buildings too.

Company of Heroes 1, Men of War: Assault Squad, and Wargame are the best multiplayer RTS games of recent years. I say 'recent'; COH is from 2006 (and still great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agean90 posted:

It'd be nice if they used Dawn of war 2's model for bases. Just one building that gets add-ons for more units, no muss, no fuss, no dumbshits shouting at you because BUILD ORDERS

This makes me sad, I really like building bases in RTS games and it's part of the reason I find wargame a little dull.

I don't really care much about capturing or defending something because it's got a flag on it, but capturing or defending things that have been built and that do stuff is much more appealing to me.

I still find dawn of war 2 kinda dull because it has no building mechanic, even though the engine and unit mechanics are a big step up from dawn of war 1.

Company of Heroes 1 was pretty nice though, with their focus on a variety of defensive constructions. The british were easily my favorite side in that with their mobile bases and awesome entrenchments.

Wargame's scale in a more traditional RTS would be quite nice, that'd make it something like supreme commander which is probably one of my favorite RTS games, because it's one of the few that is actually strategically scaled. You can have both tactics and strategy in that game and I really like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 14, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Guys, what about Company of Heroes 2? It's the sequel, it should be better, right?

It's not. :(

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

Company of Heroes 1, Men of War: Assault Squad, and Wargame are the best multiplayer RTS games of recent years. I say 'recent'; COH is from 2006 (and still great).

Oh, yeah, Men of War is awesome, easily one of my all time favorite. A new game in the series, Assault Squad 2, is coming out soon as well (although I heard it has severe performance issue...even though one of the biggest selling point is features to better use modern hardware on its rather dated engine). Although it's mostly small platoon size force for each player. There's no base building (although you can build sandbag or plant mine, etc). Units has realistic LOS, it's even got infantry sitting in bushes with LAW just like Wargame!

e: well, apparently, by "soon" I mean today, ah screw it, I'll just buy it now.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 14, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have Assualt Squad 2, but no goons to be bad with :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My major gripe with assault squad 2 is that it's the exact same game Assault squad 1 was. They made like 3 UI changes. This isnt a big deal for its MP I guess but that series has always had really fun SP, and I expected a little bit more effort then that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

My major gripe with assault squad 2 is that it's the exact same game Assault squad 1 was. They made like 3 UI changes.

Yeah the biggest thing holding that series back is that the UI is pretty crap. The game looks essentially the same with minor graphics updates but still not amazing. It really looks more like an expansion pack than a fully new game.

Not that there is anything really wrong with that, cause Assault Squad was fun. But it's diminished my excitement a lot.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mazz posted:

My major gripe with assault squad 2 is that it's the exact same game Assault squad 1 was. They made like 3 UI changes. This isnt a big deal for its MP I guess but that series has always had really fun SP, and I expected a little bit more effort then that.

Yeah...although from my understanding a lot of changes are back-end stuff like engine upgrade to use modern hardware and Steam matchmaking played on official servers and such. Although the reason why I kind of impulse bought it instead of pre-order day one is that all the new features just doesn't sound that exciting (well, except the net code change, if it fixes massive slow down for high ping game then it might all be worth it...I shall find out tomorrow).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 14, 2014

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Yeah...although from my understanding a lot of changes are back-end stuff like engine upgrade to use modern hardware and Steam matchmaking played on official servers and such.

This shouldn't be the kind of thing that I buy a sequel for, but goddamn it it was. gently caress fiddling with ports forever.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Oh, yeah, Men of War is awesome, easily one of my all time favorite. A new game in the series, Assault Squad 2, is coming out soon as well (although I heard it has severe performance issue...even though one of the biggest selling point is features to better use modern hardware on its rather dated engine). Although it's mostly small platoon size force for each player. There's no base building (although you can build sandbag or plant mine, etc). Units has realistic LOS, it's even got infantry sitting in bushes with LAW just like Wargame!

e: well, apparently, by "soon" I mean today, ah screw it, I'll just buy it now.

The performance issues are utterly ridiculous but I'm sure it'll be fixed in time, we need to goon this game up. Russia's games industry is seriously underrated considering that they put out things like Men of War and Space Rangers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

Is the hilariously bad VO still there with US troops yelling "Enemy is in the reach zone. For Uncle Sam!" ?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is the hilariously bad VO still there with US troops yelling "Enemy is in the reach zone. For Uncle Sam!" ?

Nah, they got new voice over. Although I haven't hear it in action yet.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

RE: Assaut Squad 2

Did they make it so Tigers/Panthers etc. no longer have magical "I'm a heavy tank" resistance to getting hull damaged?

I quit playing assault squad when my greyhound drove up to some loving moron's panther and put 12 shots clean through it, where the ammo is.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The voiceovers were half the fun of Faces of War's campaigns. "Germans! Quick, hide!" "That church looks suspicious."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wargame's voice acting isn't much better. Didn't some of the marshals provide voices? :mmmhmm:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

At least Wargame's campaign narrator has a sultry, soothing, historic sounding voice.

I'm still not sure what half of the US and UK lines are supposed to be in the Men at War things just because they sound so idiotic. "Aim is in the reach zone" and "I hate it!" (after getting shot, I think).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Thump! posted:

At least Wargame's campaign narrator has a sultry, soothing, historic sounding voice.

I love that guy. Especially back in the final campaign of EE when he snaps and goes all supervillian mode about how all the politicians will pay while still in the smooth historian voice.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Thump! posted:

It was kinda weird hearing that voice talk about how he was going to get together an army and destroy everyone that stood in his way in Wasteland, though :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Wargame's voice acting isn't much better. Didn't some of the marshals provide voices? :mmmhmm:

I wish :P

I've got buddies who would loving NAIL the USMC and US voices.

Working with a Canadian buddy who's in their infantry as an officer to help with lines for Canadian inf too. Got the go-ahead to make tweaks to lines spoke for authenticity, as long as it isnt straight vulgar. Aiming for 70% CoH, 30% Combat Mission. I'm going to do my damndest to give the Canadians the best lines ingame, to get the community to push for a revision for everyone else.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 14, 2014

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Dandywalken posted:

I wish :P

I've got buddies who would loving NAIL the USMC and US voices.

Working with a Canadian buddy who's in their infantry as an officer to help with lines for Canadian inf too. Got the go-ahead to make tweaks to lines spoke for authenticity, as long as it isnt straight vulgar. Aiming for 70% CoH, 30% Combat Mission. I'm going to do my damndest to give the Canadians the best lines ingame, to get the community to push for a revision for everyone else.

You're a hero, it really bugged me to just hear them re-use American lines. Maybe someday in the future we'll have more than just one line per unit that's translated literally into the various languages.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Did you know that it always comes down to an infantryman and his rifle?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mortabis posted:

Or that the world consists of two types of people, artillerymen and targets?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Artillery adds dignity etc.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Honestly though, the only good Recce is a dead one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mortabis posted:

Did you know that it always comes down to an infantryman and his rifle house?

Are you going to put our lives at risk?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
*Hums Ride of the Valkyries*

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Why does it ALWAYS have to be me? :rolleyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

受到了你的命令! :rolleyes:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I really wish this would be a standup fight.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
59下山了,弟兄們,一起殺!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo, Chinese units actually have lines in Chinese? gently caress yeah.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I hate to interrupt the voiceover chat but I finally upgraded the random deck generator to be able to spit out land units in the naval tab (apologies if you caught in the brief period where I uploaded a copy that could not generate blufor decks...). Sometimes it inserts units that don't get imported so the naval tab has empty slots, I don't know what the hell is up with that, maybe I'll take a look tomorrow. Here is a deck (West Germany mechanized B) I got during testing that looks almost reasonable until you look at the logistics tab:

Hog0u/HpVePU7seosEjIapG2dYtZ2kcZ1jGWCRt52LedpHGu1hPOxiPCR+kEEfmWy2Bl1HeLeMujGC1BPNMeTOLDi3xbyO8nciMTulBFLZrcYk2ORZg=

I'd appreciate any final feedback anyone has on this thing because if it doesn't explode horribly for anyone I'm probably going to post it on the Eugen forums finally, I was waiting until I got off my rear end to finish that last feature.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mortabis posted:

Does anyone know if French or German troops use the same lines in their languages? Do Russian troops use the same lines, etc.?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

59下山了,弟兄們,一起殺!

繁体字! 政委同志,抓获这个帝国主义者走狗!

Do they really say that by the way?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 15, 2014

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup
So I just made my first red dragon deck, and am a little weirded out that their best tanks seem to be in the VEH and recon tabs.

Also what is good for their infantry? I like their recoilless rifle dudes and Li Jian obviously but I don't know about the rest.

This is what I have this as a starting point but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I sort of want to dump either the koksan or the mortar carrier plus a ptz-59 for another aircraft to make up for the lack of arty choices, but on the other hand the plane choices seem to suck just as bad.

Help me out goons.

e: Its worth noting I made this with 10v10s in mind, which is why I have so many drat units.

double edit: The first time through I could have sworn they didn't have a napalm tank, added that bitch in.

RoboCriminal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 15, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Take Lie Ren instead of recon jeeps. They're Shock recon infantry so they'll at least pop a tank reliably. Take flame tanks. Take one of the Chinese napalm rocket artillery. Don't take Koksans, they have no joke like 40 second aim time. Take the J-7H over the Q-5D, it is probably the only iron bomber you need and ironically it's more accurate than the Q-5D's laser guided bombs. Q-5II isn't a bad choice because you have no decent ATGM planes. Aside from these things it's a good deck.

All your infantry transports are wheeled except the Korshun, consider grabbing some Yongjeockdae in BTR-80As to make it all wheeled. That would indicate taking HQ-7s over Pong'ae 3s as well so you can have wheeled AA. Yongjeockdae are badass too so that's nice. Having things travel at the same speed is nice because it all arrives at the same time. I like Tank Killers (tanke shashou) [坦克杀手] in WZ-551s as well because they can fight at the same range as the autocannon. But it's nice to have the BAN TANK FAGOT for area denial.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Google says that the Chinese voices are fan-sourced, which is really surprising. I'm not a native speaker but the Chinese voices sound good. Right stress patterns for excited/worried Mandarin speakers and a strong but understandable northern accent. The north tends to be more involved in the public sector, including military, and northern men have a sort of rough-and-tumble macho stereotype attached to them. So the stereotypical PLA man would have a northern accent.

What they don't have is some loving peasant coming on the radio speaking Sichuan dialect or Hunan dialect and jabbering incomprehensibly until everyone else can shout him down, which I hear happens a lot. A good friend of mine's dad was in the PLA and he said everyone in the PLA eventually learned Sichuan dialect because the Sichuanese soldiers just never bothered to speak Mandarin.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 15, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh dear the Ch'onma command tank is a terrible command tank because it has 1 top armor. It's literally as fragile to cluster bombs as any 120 point APC command. Take the ZTZ-59 command tank instead if you want a command tank.

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup

Arglebargle III posted:

Take Lie Ren instead of recon jeeps. They're Shock recon infantry so they'll at least pop a tank reliably. Take flame tanks. Take one of the Chinese napalm rocket artillery. Don't take Koksans, they have no joke like 40 second aim time. Take the J-7H over the Q-5D, it is probably the only iron bomber you need and ironically it's more accurate than the Q-5D's laser guided bombs. Q-5II isn't a bad choice because you have no decent ATGM planes. Aside from these things it's a good deck.

All your infantry transports are wheeled except the Korshun, consider grabbing some Yongjeockdae in BTR-80As to make it all wheeled. That would indicate taking HQ-7s over Pong'ae 3s as well so you can have wheeled AA. Yongjeockdae are badass too so that's nice. Having things travel at the same speed is nice because it all arrives at the same time. I like Tank Killers (tanke shashou) [坦克杀手] in WZ-551s as well because they can fight at the same range as the autocannon. But it's nice to have the BAN TANK FAGOT for area denial.

These are all pretty solid suggestions. I realize the koksan has an aim time of forever, but its mostly there to snipe cvs/AA vehicles and counter battery dumb pubbies who don't move their poo poo (this is most of them) so I will probably keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Note that I'm not exactly a tryhard at this game, but still tend to do decently well in pubs.

RoboCriminal posted:

So I just made my first red dragon deck, and am a little weirded out that their best tanks seem to be in the VEH and recon tabs.

You get used to it. Though North Korea also got a few good ones in the tank tab.

quote:

Also what is good for their infantry? I like their recoilless rifle dudes and Li Jian obviously but I don't know about the rest.

Nork reservists with their Pepeshkas, QW-1 MANPADs, Fagots are your only ATGM, cheap nork units with VTT Strelas. You already found Jeogockdae'90.

quote:

This is what I have this as a starting point but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I sort of want to dump either the koksan or the mortar carrier plus a ptz-59 for another aircraft to make up for the lack of arty choices, but on the other hand the plane choices seem to suck just as bad.

I'd prolly try and replace the Pon'Gae-3 with more PGZ-95s; the PGZs are really loving good. Or get some HQ-7s to really gently caress with Hellfire-toting assholes.
Arty-wise, I'm not sure about Koksans, but your tube situation kinda sucks. Chinese 155s can work as barrage arty. Also, BM-24s and chinese napalm-rockets are things you should definitely try out at least once for the sheer hilarity.
Try to not get tanks below hardened veterancy. Exceptions are top-end tanks and expendable chaff.
I'd prolly can the crappy 15-point recon vees and get some more older Type 62s or Lie Ren.
Vec-wise, I'd never take other ATGM carriers if there's still a card of WZ-550s and you should really think about the PTZ-89 because those are just hilarious at punching above their weight. Also, TO-55s.
Can the Mi-8 Gunships and get some Hinds instead.
SU-25s are really dicy becuase they're expensive and slow with no real ECM. You could try replacing them with the 1*1000kg bomber from the Chinese.

Overall, those are most of your decent units and you should probably just go ahead and experiment what you like best; my Wargame experience is that your playstyle can wildly change what kind of units work best for you. Hell, back in ALB I genuinely did better with crazy Cat C DDR shenanigans than playing the stereotypical Cat A USSR tryhard deck. :v:

• Locked thread