Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Necc0 posted:

this model actually works for valve, though

no, the giant money fountain that is steam just masks their immense inefficiency, just like Adsense does for google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i still love that people got mad oculus was bought out , when oculus never even said they wanted to be an independent company

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

no, the giant money fountain that is steam just masks their immense inefficiency, just like Adsense does for google

they were pretty profitable before steam afaik. plus they also now have the dota/tf2/csgo money fountains as well.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
now you may be judging their efficiency by half-life releases. understandably.

because wheres the loving half-life. jesus

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
shooters are all terrible

single player shooters even more so

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

where is your god now?!

i'm actually kind of surprised i haven't seen google glass around town. maybe i'm not cool enough/too cool to be in the same places as them.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

it's mostly because the vast majority of their work needs to be creative so hierarchical models will only slow them down / harm that process. the only real 'legacy' stuff they need to support is steam. all their games, once published, can pretty much be ignored as they move onto the next thing.

that's not the same for google. sure they have some departments that need tons of license in order to foster creativity but they spread that mantra to the whole company. being able to do w/e you want does not work for most companies. but google is a unique snowflake and they want to believe that they're the exception

even creative work needs some structure, and google is bad even at that

their management strategy seems to be tuned to encourage the occasional autist-savant over literally everything else

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

computer parts posted:

shooters are all terrible

single player shooters even more so
please dont encourage people to play online games ever thanks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

without shooters i wouldn't have found out about my secret judeo-hispanic negroid heritage

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

yep

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
aeron chairs are pretty lovely and uncomfortable anyway hth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

without shooters i wouldn't have found out about my secret judeo-hispanic negroid heritage

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

where is your god now?!

note that like all glassholes I've seen he also has his phone out because the phone he strapped to his head isn't very good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

aeron chairs are pretty lovely and uncomfortable anyway hth

lose some weight

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

same but secretly gay

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Fuzzy Mammal recently hangouts has been flaking out on me a lot across all devices despite my obscene fiber connection, can you try rebooting the server maybe?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

YouTube to Acquire Videogame-Streaming Service Twitch for $1 Billion: Sources

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/youtube-to-acquire-videogame-streaming-service-twitch-for-1-billion-sources-1201185204/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you see the thing that matters is that we grow our subscriber base, the financials are irrelevant

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wow, who would have guessed their dumb bailing out if machinima would turn out to be worthless in the end wow whoa

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

the cost seems excessive but the acquisition makes sense

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm glad that everyone will be using the youtube system for streaming, which has been experiencing less lag than twitch

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lol when all the nerds switch to ustream or hitbox and google is left holding a billion dollar bag of nothing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
aw man I bailed out of interviewing with those guys

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

lol when all the nerds switch to ustream or hitbox and google is left holding a billion dollar bag of nothing

i think people hate dealing with twitch already it's just the de facto platform and has inertia so people stick with it

twitch streaming is poo poo and youtube is great for my connection so idm it too much

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i still dont get why anyone watches those horrid bideoshame vids/streams anyway

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

things old people say

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scott Forstall posted:

ustream is twitch. hitbox can barely handle the traffic they have now.

one billion is less than 2/3 what youtube cost back in 2006

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Install Windows posted:

ustream is twitch.

no justin.tv is twitch

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miley Virus posted:

no justin.tv is twitch

I'm calling ustream bad and buggy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

good save, but next time you should consult wikipedia first

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

ustream is a piece of poo poo though, somehow moreso than twitch

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

fishmechs connection to wikipedia seems to have been slowed

maybe pay for a fast lane!?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

exhibit a m'lud

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

please set your title bar height to 17 pixels thanks

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Install Windows posted:

please set your os to osx thanks

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

please don't advocate self-harm in yospos, god bless

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Install Windows posted:

one billion is less than 2/3 what youtube cost back in 2006

this makes it even worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

this makes it even worse...

in 2006 youtube was like a few million users and 360x144 monophonic videos and a practical 9 minute video length limit

• Locked thread