Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Alternatively get Yoshitsune and murder everything with swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

Just make sure you have Trumpeter before you reach the final boss and you will be fine.

Debilitate + Heat Riser makes pretty much everything a joke.

Eh, Heat Riser kind of sucks unless you're going solo. It's way quicker just to cast Matarukaja + Masukukaja with your party members, and who needs defense if you never get hit?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Why would you waste two turns casting two buffs instead of just casting both on yourself at once? The MC is going to have all the strongest Personae, your team is kind of just secondary at that point.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Excels posted:

Why would you waste two turns casting two buffs instead of just casting both on yourself at once? The MC is going to have all the strongest Personae, your team is kind of just secondary at that point.

Because using your team's -kajas means you aren't using up the MC's turn s buffing.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Real pros get all the Auto Ma- buffs skills on one dude and then wipe within three turns :smug:

But honestly, I also never found Heat Riser or any of the single buff spells in the Persona games to be that useful. All party or bust.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

Because using your team's -kajas means you aren't using up the MC's turn s buffing.

Yeah this. The MC is going to be wasting enough turns as is with Power/Mind Charge and Debilitate, and buffs only last three turns, so pulling double duty just means you're getting a good attack in every third turn or so, especially in vanilla P4 where you can't refresh active buffs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I too late for P3 chat? Because I absolutely love the decision to not let you control your party and the game is totally balanced around it. Consequently, P3P was not rebalanced and is easy. And I'm pretty sure that they use the gutted AI options from P4 in it so you don't even have the option.

The whole AI only thing is part of how P3 treats your party members as individuals, which has its inconviniences but i really like the concept. You can't change you party's equips without talking to them, you can't use their heals outside of battle without asking. On the other hand, you can send them off on their own and they will totally fight battles individually, you can join them, you can call for help if you're alone in battle and they will appear after a few turns, etc. You could call it pointless and dumb but I call it charming.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I have no idea what game you played but you can do all of that poo poo from the main menu which is available all the time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amppelix posted:

Am I too late for P3 chat? Because I absolutely love the decision to not let you control your party and the game is totally balanced around it. Consequently, P3P was not rebalanced and is easy. And I'm pretty sure that they use the gutted AI options from P4 in it so you don't even have the option.

The whole AI only thing is part of how P3 treats your party members as individuals, which has its inconviniences but i really like the concept. You can't change you party's equips without talking to them, you can't use their heals outside of battle without asking. On the other hand, you can send them off on their own and they will totally fight battles individually, you can join them, you can call for help if you're alone in battle and they will appear after a few turns, etc. You could call it pointless and dumb but I call it charming.

I like the concept that going with all the default names in the beginning of SMT2 gives you a bunch of Law points by default, but it doesn't change the fact it's a huge dick move.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Does Nocturne give bonus XP for not having a full party like the Persona games do? I'd like to bench everybody but Inugami so he can get Fog Breath and evolve sooner, but would I just be gimping myself for no reward?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you think P3P just became an easy game because it had controllable AI and that the game it was based from was not already easy, boy have I got some news for you. Like the argument that they are individuals is an inherently flawed one because not only does that bust the "the game is balanced around the AI" argument, that also makes it easier to feel apprehension for your characters when they do some insanely stupid.

The game is not balanced around the AI because if it were then they would put some priority on the protecting the MC since it's game over if he dies and not also worry about status effects which aren't useful for the most part.

MrAristocrates posted:

I, for one, loved having to talk to Yukari to gently caress with her equipment because she decided to put on some trash armor she found laying on the ground

This kind of detail was funny though, so I guess that's a plus.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 14, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I, for one, loved having to talk to Yukari to gently caress with her equipment because she decided to put on some trash armor she found laying on the ground

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

who wouldn't enjoy an excuse to spend time with yukari.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yukari is da best and her power ranger outfit in P4AU makes me very happy.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I never thought I would see people defending the AI party members in P3, I get the "rationale" for it but it is still for me the worst design decision in the series.

Just remember all the times when the main character got charmed or confused and you would just have to sit there for minutes watching your party members do stupid things instead of curing it and listen to Fuuka say "Hey snap out of it!" every 10 seconds and usually get a game over in the end.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow, i got really lucky. I managed to crawl and claw my way through the first two floors. After which i never saw a cop again, from that point on it was more or less smooth sailing. I got really lucky and got a double XP bonus card thing, and a few restore SP ones (including one that set my party to 1 HP). I managed to force my way to floor 11 in a single day.

I am level 25 now, and i have so many fusion choices i don't even have the faintest idea what to pick. Jack Frost has more or less been my main guy for the entire dungeon using ice and lighting.

I am completely overwhelmed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just fuse who you think has coolest skills or looks the coolest, don't make it complicated for yourself. If you like what they make, fuse it, don't even think about it. The worst that will happen is it ends up not great, in which case you can fuse it for better stuff.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The only really hard boss in P4 is that loving Knight in the first dungeon. gently caress that guy.

e:
VVVVV It's the Wild Card, they ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Excels fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 14, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Just fuse who you think has coolest skills or looks the coolest, don't make it complicated for yourself. If you like what they make, fuse it, don't even think about it. The worst that will happen is it ends up not great, in which case you can fuse it for better stuff.

This is a thing that originally threw me off in P3/P4. Your MC's first Persona is supposed to be like this manifestation of his inner soul, but the game mechanic really is "nah, gently caress that guy. Fuse him into something better."

It's a lot less jarring in mainline SMT games, where the things you're fusing are just rear end in a top hat demons you recruited into your posse.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I tried to make a king frost, and i managed to get both Mazio, and Ice Boost on it. Then apparently some random accident occured and i got an angry red jellybean instead. :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, save before fusing, forgot to mention that can happen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fog Breath is useless against Matador, it costs a bunch of MP and he just uses Dekunda right away.

Easiest way to kill Matador is to grind to 19, recruit one of those hairy ball things with the elephant trunk(they'll be around the area before Matador), fuse a pixie and an angel for a force immune/media having demon, then fuse a yoma isora(manta ray looking thing, they are in the water of the little town area), with a water elemental which you can get from the gem shop, that gives you a yoma koppa, he has Tarukaja and sukukaja and is also force immune.

For the fight, 4 stacks of suku and taru, you'll be on even ground with him in terms of agility and will be doing 100 per attack, given that he only has 1000 hp, he'll go down in about 10 press turns, less if you get a critical.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alteisen posted:

Fog Breath is useless against Matador, it costs a bunch of MP and he just uses Dekunda right away.
Not if you use it once, it lowers his evasion just enough where he won't negate it the next turn. Fog Breath really helped in the fight for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

All bosses in Nocturne are programmed to use Dekunda if you put over two stacks of a debuff on them.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I tried to make a king frost, and i managed to get both Mazio, and Ice Boost on it. Then apparently some random accident occured and i got an angry red jellybean instead. :negative:

hahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMFK9_6Ptw

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All bosses in Nocturne are programmed to use Dekunda if you put over two stacks of a debuff on them.

Surely there are exceptions, I don't think EVERY boss has Dekunda.

Fog Breath is great on Matador, because I don't think you can get Sukunda any other way that early. And even if he does use Dekunda, that is a press turn that he isn't using Red Capote or Andalucia. And Fog Breath completely negates Capote's buff so...yeah, it's really good on Matty. In general, Fog Breath is useful the whole game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If it's not every boss it's the vast majority of them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sometimes it can be worth forcing them to waste a press turn casting dekunda.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

You guys sound like war vets swapping tips.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fog Breath is great on Matador, because I don't think you can get Sukunda any other way that early. And even if he does use Dekunda, that is a press turn that he isn't using Red Capote or Andalucia. And Fog Breath completely negates Capote's buff so...yeah, it's really good on Matty. In general, Fog Breath is useful the whole game.

Fog Breath doesn't completely negate it, it just cuts the buff in half.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

You think this is a game!?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah this. The MC is going to be wasting enough turns as is with Power/Mind Charge and Debilitate, and buffs only last three turns, so pulling double duty just means you're getting a good attack in every third turn or so, especially in vanilla P4 where you can't refresh active buffs.

Yeah this is one thing I'm really glad they improved on for P4(G), spreading the buff skills out so you could have Yosuke and Kanji help with buffing, and in January for P4G, Chie. Having to bring Aigis or Akihiko in P3 just for buffs/debuffs can get pretty old.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wasting turns doesn't really matter for Matador, Matador has an internal timer that once it hits 0, he'll focus followed by Andalucia regardless of his health or current debuffs, you WILL die when he gets to this phase.

You need to kill him fast, oddly enough he's the only boss like this.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got to the invisible wall maze in Nocturne on the PSN version, but I think there's something wrong with it.

Outside of a bit of lag in a couple spots in the Obelisk, this is the first obvious issue I've encountered.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

UberJumper posted:

I had maybe one fusion accident per game, so I always forget that that's a thing that can happen. Can't remember which one it was in, but at one point I found myself getting a Loki that was a good five levels higher than my character. Which was nice.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I get about a million fusion accidents when I don't want them, and none when I do. God drat SMT IV Famed demons :argh:. Even with two dead demons, and one of them from the Foul family, it takes a ton of resets to even get an accident, and then a ton more to get one that results in a Famed demon.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Excels posted:

Nocturne does this to people. We've all got the thousand-yard stare, man.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

I got to the invisible wall maze in Nocturne on the PSN version, but I think there's something wrong with it.

Outside of a bit of lag in a couple spots in the Obelisk, this is the first obvious issue I've encountered.

It's obviously a Conception II tie in.

At least in the case of the PS2 emulators, fixing the player's shadow caused some walls to vanish or become solid.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Delsaber posted:

Nocturne does this to people. We've all got the thousand-yard stare, man.

He doesn't know, man. He was never there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

He doesn't know, man. He was never there.

I wore out my PS2 reset button for merging.

Also is Conception II worth getting? Because it seems like it's going to be ages until Atlus releases the next persona game.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 15, 2014