Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Josh Lyman posted:

I think he meant that their statistics and sampling are flawed.

I think it's hilariously conceited to say a company that just about every network relies on is doing things wrong because they said your favorite show is unpopular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I think it's hilariously conceited to say a company that just about every network relies on is doing things wrong because they said your favorite show is unpopular.

Ah, I see you want to pick a fight not actually talk about substance. Sorry for engaging you in good faith.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Ah, I see you want to pick a fight not actually talk about substance. Sorry for engaging you in good faith.

I am talking substance. They've been doing this poo poo for longer than either of us have been alive. If they couldn't accurately determine the popularity of a show, the networks wouldn't use them. Or do you really believe that billion dollar companies are trusting their bottom line to a random number generator? I'm always fascinated by the disdain for the Neilsens by people who read of summary of their process on Wikipedia.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JohnSherman posted:

I am talking substance. They've been doing this poo poo for longer than either of us have been alive. If they couldn't accurately determine the popularity of a show, the networks wouldn't use them. Or do you really believe that billion dollar companies are trusting their bottom line to a random number generator?

Yeah pretty much. There haven't been DVR's and streaming services forever, dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I am talking substance. They've been doing this poo poo for longer than either of us have been alive. If they couldn't accurately determine the popularity of a show, the networks wouldn't use them. Or do you really believe that billion dollar companies are trusting their bottom line to a random number generator?

I think institutional inertia is a huge factor in corporate behavior yes. I think the Nielsen's are good at capturing numbers for people who watch TV at home, on their set in the time slot. These people skew much much older than the demo the advertisers are going after.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Advertisers don't care at all about time shifted viewers, and to be fair they have little reason to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I think the Nielsen's are good at capturing numbers for people who watch TV at home, on their set in the time slot.

Well then good, because that's all they're for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MrAristocrates posted:

Advertisers don't care at all about time shifted viewers, and to be fair they have little reason to.

Well then the networks are giving the advertisers are big gently caress you by renewing shows that nobody watches like Hannibal and The Americans. Maybe they found other sources of funding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hannibal actually splits production costs between NBC Universal and Gaumont so they did!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
My understanding of Nielsen's point of view is that they are totally down for tracking things like timeshifted viewers, etc. but the networks and advertisers want to ignore those numbers for now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's all pretty insane if you think about it. The entire notion of funding television shows with tracked advertising is itself based upon nothing more than perceived value. There is little real evidence to suggest that advertising saturation has more than a negligible affect on people's buying habits outside of a few categories of things (I think food and cars, which is why there are so many food and car commercials).

But even then, people aren't going to magically eat poo poo and think it tastes like ice cream because of ads, so it's just brand exposure.

And recently there has been a lot of disdain for advertising at all which seems to have barely affected some people - I am 99.9% sure that Ben & Jerry's literally doesn't advertise on television and never did, yet they are massively successful (because it's good ice cream).

The whole world of advertising is a boondoogle all right.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

My understanding of Nielsen's point of view is that they are totally down for tracking things like timeshifted viewers, etc. but the networks and advertisers want to ignore those numbers for now.

The networks actually do want to track timeshifted viewers because more viewers means more ad dollars. And various studies (1 2) show that about half of viewers don't skip commercials when using the dvr (which is bizarre for us). So more viewers = more money.

It's just the networks differ on the exact method to determine which timeshifted viewer counts as a viewer (should Live+3 days be valid? What about Live+7? Or more? There are pros and cons to each). Also, the ad men still aren't totally on board with timeshifting, despite the growing evidence that a greater share of tv watching is timeshifted.

Nielsen just wants to still be relevant in any way they can be.

Edited in citations.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 14, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

I am talking substance. They've been doing this poo poo for longer than either of us have been alive. If they couldn't accurately determine the popularity of a show, the networks wouldn't use them. Or do you really believe that billion dollar companies are trusting their bottom line to a random number generator? I'm always fascinated by the disdain for the Neilsens by people who read of summary of their process on Wikipedia.
Just because a system is widely used doesn't mean it's not flawed. Advertisers pay for shows that they are told have good ratings, and networks renew shows that they are told have good ratings. Whether the ratings are accurate doesn't matter. If the man behind the curtain says nobody watches Community, who's to argue?

Everyone agrees that the timeshifting problem needs to be solved, but my personal skepticism is with their statistical sampling.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 14, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

And recently there has been a lot of disdain for advertising at all which seems to have barely affected some people - I am 99.9% sure that Ben & Jerry's literally doesn't advertise on television and never did, yet they are massively successful (because it's good ice cream).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXktom89cE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRr18J31y_o

Fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade... did you know BJs are fair trade????

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

I would say they are extremely poor at measuring the popularity of shows among the 18-39 demo, also known as "the important one", which is what advertisers care about. Those people are much more likely to watch timeshifted or on a non TV platform, which the Nielsen's is useless at gauging.

Again you are misinterpreting who the Nielsens are for, and by the metrics they measure they are great

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From the mid season thread, but it's closed

quote:

Closing up shop here. See you in the 2014-2015 Fall Thread soon!

Is there not going to be a general Summer thread?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

From the mid season thread, but it's closed

Is there not going to be a general Summer thread?

Nope! We'll have to depend on show specific threads for those things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Irish Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXktom89cE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRr18J31y_o

Fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade, fair trade... did you know BJs are fair trade????

Maybe they advertise in TV in the UK, but I don't think I've ever seen a TV commercial for Ben & Jerry's in the US, ever.

I've seen promo pieces on shows for new flavors (like Americone Dream on Colbert), but never straight up advertising.

Chipotle is similar. They do things like put out short films on youtube or sponsor whole TV shows on hulu, but they don't actually run ads on TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fuckin WGN just aired a commercial for Salem where they called it "The original American horror story."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Nope! We'll have to depend on show specific threads for those things.

With these upfronts threads we're getting closer to the dream of an all stickies first page. :getin:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So it's going around that Joel McHale is getting The Late Late Show. No real confirmation yet from what I've seen

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

So it's going around that Joel McHale is getting The Late Late Show. No real confirmation yet from what I've seen
Well he's got a lot of free time now...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So a few months ago Seth Meyers floated the idea of putting on rejected SNL sketches on his show. Well, they're doing it. The first one is Will Forte-pitched "Jennjamin Franklin".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Norm is tweeting up a storm about it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

literally the most disappointing news

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

literally the most disappointing news

You wanted to lose that new Toxx, didn't you?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Chipotle is similar. They do things like put out short films on youtube or sponsor whole TV shows on hulu, but they don't actually run ads on TV.

A short Google search shows that Chipotle aired their first national tv spot in 2012.

Just a quick reminder since some people don't seem to get it: your limited experience on this earth is not representative of the whole. Multi-billion dollar consumer product & service companies use mass media advertising to promote their wares, period. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

A short Google search shows that Chipotle aired their first national tv spot in 2012.

Just a quick reminder since some people don't seem to get it: your limited experience on this earth is not representative of the whole. Multi-billion dollar consumer product & service companies use mass media advertising to promote their wares, period. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.
I can't believe Irish Joe had to say this. The world really is ending if that's the case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

I can't believe Irish Joe had to say this. The world really is ending if that's the case.

Even if it's technically true that Ben and Jerry's and Chipotle have aired TV commercials, there's a difference between "here are a couple things" and "there's a McDonald's commercial every 20 minutes, every day". Sheesh.

And yes, I was talking about America, not the UK. I guess Ben and Jerry's has ads in the UK. MY BAD.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm 90% sure Win8 assumes you won't turn off your computer regularly.

Either that or they just thought their mobile interface was so goddamned amazing that they just duplicted it as closely as possible with no regard for usability. That would also explain why they have an easily accessible option to wipe your hard drives and reinstall Windows that almost nobody would use on a desktop PC.

zoux posted:

Well the most popular show on TV right now is NCIS so it's more that there are a shitload of people with terrible taste in TV and also that explains CBS's entire lineup.

Before NCIS it had been CSI for several years.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 14, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Irish Joe posted:

They aired it on TV once, a single time, during the Grammys that year. They haven't run an ad on TV since.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

You wanted to lose that new Toxx, didn't you?

I wouldn't have been against it, no

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, Joel McHale is gonna be taking over The Late Late Show when Craigy Ferg leaves.

e: Wait, should've read a few posts above mine haha. Nevermind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Legit is cancelled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it payday for everyone in TVIV? There's new names and avatars everywhere and it's confusing me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

We've had to cope with fast changing tech all our lives. None of our parents grew up in a world that had home computers, but we all did.

On the other hand people not even out of their 20s are already so out of touch with technology that they don't have a Facebook, don't understand the appeal of Twitter or Instagram, and don't know how to operate roughly half the smart phones in use because Apple more like CRAPple.

JohnSherman posted:

I hope you never have to take a Unicru test to even get considered for a job, be required to take a Meyers-Briggs as part of your employment or schooling, or wind up in a criminal investigation where hair analyses, polygraph tests, and eyewitness testimony are used so you never have this wonderful naivete about the competence of institutions and the tools they use shattered.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Is it payday for everyone in TVIV? There's new names and avatars everywhere and it's confusing me.
I made a post earlier and saw when I was done that my avatar had changed. I had no idea when that happened, but I guess it was sometime this morning. I was actually planning on eventually buying this image as a new avatar anyway, though, so that works out :haw:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That truly sucks. It's been a really, really good show and it saddens me there hasn't been much discussion about it. Definitely top flight stuff that everyone should try at least a few episodes, especially if they're fans of shows with darker comedy characters like Always Sunny and Eastbound & Down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I made a post earlier and saw when I was done that my avatar had changed. I had no idea when that happened, but I guess it was sometime this morning. I was actually planning on eventually buying this image as a new avatar anyway, though, so that works out :haw:

...goons anonymously buy each other good avatars?!

Actually that did happen to me once, someone was kind enough to buy me a Rectify av. I'm getting sick of Flareon, I should probably change mine again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

On the other hand people not even out of their 20s are already so out of touch with technology that they don't have a Facebook, don't understand the appeal of Twitter or Instagram, and don't know how to operate roughly half the smart phones in use because Apple more like CRAPple.

Yeah, but is that a sign of people falling behind the times or of people merely maturing past the narcissism and neediness of youth?

• Locked thread