Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Why does he bother leaving the sway bar bolted on if it's disconnected on the street (which is a major failure right there, that thing is waiting to roll over), maybe I'm not seeing some pieces but I'm wondering how awful the pinion angles must be on that thing as it articulates, stacking spacers and extended springs, shocks are probably mounted upside down instead of relocated which leads to unpredictable and/or uneven damping, looks like it might have some fun bumpsteer issues too. It's not the worst lift, but I still wouldn't ride in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Spotted in an Annapolis parking lot. Still laughed like the 13-year-old I am sometimes. Sorry for the potato pic but the driver was still in it and I didn't want to cause a scene.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

OSI bean dip posted:

Veganism and SUVs; you shouldn't eat meat but hey never mind the poisoning of the atmosphere.

That one is from the dealership I worked at. We had a healthy mix of artsy fartsy hippies and rear end in a top hat big business foreigners, so no surprise that sticker is on that thing.

The worst that I saw come out of our shop was a brand new M3 owned by some Chinese businessman's 18 year old son. He let his girlfriend bedazzle all of the badges (inside and out), bedazzle the iDrive knob, and then bedazzled "I LOVE YOU" in big letters on the passenger side dashboard. Like a foot and a half long, and 8 inches tall kind of bedazzling. Then he put those fake vent things on the sides and the hood of the car.

I wanted to punch him in the face every time he came in.

It basically looked like this on the inside, only with bedazzling:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Took me a second to realize it was a BMW, with how the stars are arranged on the knob I assumed it was a Subaru.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

EightBit posted:

Why does he bother leaving the sway bar bolted on if it's disconnected on the street (which is a major failure right there, that thing is waiting to roll over), maybe I'm not seeing some pieces but I'm wondering how awful the pinion angles must be on that thing as it articulates, stacking spacers and extended springs, shocks are probably mounted upside down instead of relocated which leads to unpredictable and/or uneven damping, looks like it might have some fun bumpsteer issues too. It's not the worst lift, but I still wouldn't ride in it.

Nah, that thing looks halfway decent. The disconnected sway bar on the street is a minor sin, and if the driver is used to how it handles it's not that big a danger. Most people have no real concept of how stable or unstable a lifted truck might be, and tend to think a stiff wind will tip over anything lifted above stock.

The pinion angle isn't an issue since it's been converted to a radius arm suspension like an early bronco. The pinion angle is effectively fixed, and only the joint at the t-case is going through any major angle changes. With a high-travel u-joint or cv-joint at the t-case it wouldn't be a problem.

Spacers + springs is a common Jeep Thing, and again not a terrible sin.

Mounting the shocks can-up only matters if the shocks aren't specifically designed to be mounted can-up, and those ones might well be.

As for bumpsteer, it probably has some, but the panhard bar and draglink are fairly parallel due to modified panhard mounts, so the axle will be forced to travel upwards in an arc close to what the draglink is going through as well. That's a huge factor in keeping bumpsteer to a minimum.

It's fun to nitpick poorly designed truck suspensions, but you're off base on this one. As was already said, that might be the nicest lifted vehicle in this thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Veganism and SUVs; you shouldn't eat meat but hey never mind the poisoning of the atmosphere.

Never mind that, can you even spec out an X3 without any leather? I tried in the bmw.ca car configurator, even the base model with 'leatherette' seats lists a leather steering wheel as standard in the options, with no other option listed (except ticking the M-line box, which results in an entire cow skin getting chucked in the car).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's drat near impossible to even get a pair of vegan shoes, much less an entire car.

(this coming from the guy who tries to avoid leather)

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
Another Iowa gem:

And speaking of Iowa cars, a friend was giving me a lift in his Mistubishi today, when his brush guard nearly fell off:

Where did all the bolts go? :iiam:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

It's drat near impossible to even get a pair of vegan shoes, much less an entire car.

(this coming from the guy who tries to avoid leather)

I'm pretty sure even tires use animal products.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Technically, all forms of petroleum also use animal products. And unless you're in an area with 100% nuclear power, with no plastics or rubber within miles....

Oh wait, wires use various forms of rubber and plastics for insulation, don't they? And a huge chunk of mechanical stuff involves plastic too! gently caress...

If you want to live a truly vegan lifestyle, you do it without electricity or plastic. But even the most hardcore vegans I've known love their phones and computers.

There was a small (seriously, it was pretty small) amount of sarcasm involved in the post. I really don't like leather at all; the only reason I'm not 100% vegetarian is because chicken and fish are loving delicious (my doctor has basically forbidden me from ever eating red meat for several years, after seeing my blood work). But I'm a realist - there's no way I could actually own a car (or even a bike, or most clothing, or most shoes) if I swore off animal products.

Also bacon is loving delicious. :smuggo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 13, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

murphle posted:

Nah, that thing looks halfway decent. The disconnected sway bar on the street is a minor sin, and if the driver is used to how it handles it's not that big a danger. Most people have no real concept of how stable or unstable a lifted truck might be, and tend to think a stiff wind will tip over anything lifted above stock.

The pinion angle isn't an issue since it's been converted to a radius arm suspension like an early bronco. The pinion angle is effectively fixed, and only the joint at the t-case is going through any major angle changes. With a high-travel u-joint or cv-joint at the t-case it wouldn't be a problem.

Mounting the shocks can-up only matters if the shocks aren't specifically designed to be mounted can-up, and those ones might well be.

As for bumpsteer, it probably has some, but the panhard bar and draglink are fairly parallel due to modified panhard mounts, so the axle will be forced to travel upwards in an arc close to what the draglink is going through as well. That's a huge factor in keeping bumpsteer to a minimum.

It's fun to nitpick poorly designed truck suspensions, but you're off base on this one. As was already said, that might be the nicest lifted vehicle in this thread.

I actually drive a lifted jeep and got to find out how sloppy it handles without a front sway bar while dialing in my anti-rock. It's pretty bad, hitting a bump with the rear end in a turn will unsettle it in a hurry.

The control arms on that jeep don't go back to the transfer case and will make the angles that the single cardan joint has to work in more severe than the factory setup. That's mostly going to be a problem when trying to climb stuff off road; high articulation, low gear, probably decent amounts of throttle, and that little u-joint at high angles. I wonder how many he's broken?

I also don't see much spring retention. There might be clips on the bottom like the factory setup, but I can't tell from the photos; the factory clips are not very tough and I wouldn't trust that little bit of stamped steel to hold the weight of the wheel when it droops.

Apparently, his springs are his bump stops. That's probably slightly better than the bump stop sans rubber hitting the spring perch, but it's still hell on the vehicle and the occupants.

Nicest lift in the thread, but still belongs here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shoncook posted:

Where is this? I worked in a salt mine on some physics stuff, and the safety there was insane since it was a mine + nuclear facility + government run.

Fermilab, out in the Chicago suburbs.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Ulfhednar posted:

Another Iowa gem:

Oh, Iowa, you're still so cute and innocent. That's nothing. Come to Ohio some time. No inspections, and six months of salt and snow every year.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Captain Trips posted:

Oh, Iowa, you're still so cute and innocent. That's nothing. Come to Ohio some time. No inspections, and six months of salt and snow every year.

Do you think that Iowa doesn't have 6 months of salt and snow with no inspections? Because, it does.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Figured this series should go here, maybe get kastein to sperg about it. I wasn't able to spend too long taking pictures, since the guy who owned it was inside the office to the left in the first one, and I didn't want to have to explain to a bro why I was taking pictures of his Jeep while giggling and shaking my head slowly.

Yeah, there's nothing really wrong here. There are better setups for long-arm suspension but that is a pretty common way of doing it. The spacers are a little iffy, especially seeing how long those springs are already.

e: I missed a whole page. Oh well.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 13, 2014

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

A vegan driving a Hummer would still be polluting less than an omnivore in a small car. But I think most vegans would also care about the environment, and maybe even care about humans enough to not drive a pedestrian-murder-mobile. So it's still pretty loving confusing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I think this is going to make someone angry.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4453925256.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

meatpimp posted:

I think this is going to make someone angry.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4453925256.html

Columbus resident here, I've seen this thing around town. It's hilarious.

EDIT: An Alfa with a salvage title? Jesus, what's holding it together aside from wishes and dreams?

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 13, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would drive that every day (that I could afford to repair it on)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Trips posted:

EDIT: An Alfa with a salvage title? Jesus, what's holding it together aside from wishes and dreams?

Alfa's I think are imported as salvage titles.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

Unicorn farts and the tears of orphans ?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Wasabi the J posted:

Alfa's I think are imported as salvage titles.

:qq:

..and yet I love them so so much...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Imported"? That's how they make them at the factory :colbert:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

murphle posted:

Pretty sure it's all just standard Rubicon Express parts. My buddy had one with pretty much exactly the same pieces - right down to the quick disconnect sway bars. The only thing that could probably be done differently is welding the panhard mount to the body, but nothing that bad.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I had a coolant hose split in my 90's Passat and of course none of the 7 parts stores around here nor the dealer have it in stock. 4 of these stores tried to tell me my hose didn't exist, VW parts department wanted $35 to have it here Friday.

$11.00 gets it to my door Thursday from an online retailer.. better, but I need my car back on the road NOW, DAMMIT so I grabbed two feet of fuel hose off the reel at the McParts store and made it work. Here's how I'm keeping the hose from kinking while I wait:

It's working for now, got the engine up to temp for 20 minutes and had zero leaks. I guess it's really only terrible car stuff if I never get back in there to replace it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That's actually brilliant. And also proves once more that zipties solve everything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

NoWake posted:

I guess it's really only terrible car stuff if I never get back in there to replace it.

I think it's more if you sell it and never mention it.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Oh god...

And the donor car...

Shoot me

IT SOLD FOR ALMOST 8 K

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bring Back Noid posted:

And the donor car...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Sebrings belong in this thread already.

EDIT: Can we go back to license plate chat for a moment? I spotted this last night, can't decide if it belongs here or the other car thread.

On the one hand, ELO does rock. On the other, do they ROXX?

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 14, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

Like everyone said it's actually pretty decent.

Bumpstops are missing. That aint that great, he should put some in. They're 7 dollars each.

Shocks are probably fine, XJ front shocks are stem at the top and bar pin at the bottom so it's hard to put them in backwards without really working for it.

It's a radius arm suspension, which means he's giving up some suspension flex and it'll unload funny while trying to climb obstacles, but should be OK on the street.

Swaybar is no big deal, seriously. If he knows how it handles, it'll be fine. I can take corners at 40 in my MJ with zero swaybars that most people in sedans panic brake to 25 for. Only if I know the road like the back of my hand, though.

Steering angles look okay-ish.

It's a bit too tall IMO, but I like my offroad vehicles as low as possible to preserve center of gravity, because I drive em like racecars. Spacers on a coil sprung suspension aren't ideal but they're nowhere near as bad as leaf spring lift blocks.

Honestly my only dislikes about that thing are that he hasn't added stiffeners/plating to the frame, and that track bar drop bracket, while in line with conventional XJ fabrication, has some weaknesses in its design (good on them for making it so the vertical mounting plate is braced/gusseted by the top of the mount brackets, however - seen MANY of those brackets fail right at the corner!) and is going to tear the spotwelded sheetmetal "frame rail" apart at the bottom inner pinch weld eventually if he doesn't add frame plating/stiffeners and preferably a brace to the opposite frame rail.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Bring Back Noid posted:

Oh god...

And the donor car...

Shoot me

IT SOLD FOR ALMOST 8 K

But he's so happy with himself!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nothing of value has been lost, and something horrible has been destroyed. I'm not seeing a problem here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BoostCreep posted:

Orange peel game tight.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

It legit looks wrapped in aluminum foil.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Not really terrible, actually got a good chuckle out of me, but it's just a license plate so belongs here.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bring Back Noid posted:

It legit looks wrapped in aluminum foil.

That was my thought as well until I read the ebay ad. What a colossal piece of poo poo but like Ken said nothing of value was lost. I hope no one buys that thing and the owner is stuck with it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chinatown posted:

Orange peel game tight.

hahaha between this and the poo poo eating grin i'm laughing way too much at this

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Captain Trips posted:

On the one hand, ELO does rock. On the other, do they ROXX?

ELO is awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BoostCreep posted:

It's so punchable.