Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Ah well crap. I saw the pricing for VIP and figured that wasn't a big loss. Other people have said the VIP isn't too crowded early in the day and if anything, I think I could just flip the ticket.

There's also the fact that I resent how they charge you more for the right not to be constantly in line and jostling between people, as if they're an airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Just going back to the label chat a few pages back, sometimes breweries take the time to make real art and it's great. Beau's brewery does art well enough that they actually sell posters of their labels. Here's some choice examples:

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

SUPER HASSLER posted:

There's also the fact that I resent how they charge you more for the right not to be constantly in line and jostling between people, as if they're an airline.

air- posted:

Ah well crap. I saw the pricing for VIP and figured that wasn't a big loss. Other people have said the VIP isn't too crowded early in the day and if anything, I think I could just flip the ticket.

The VIP is brand new this year, and is on Friday only. This was added for the people that don't want to deal with the crowds as it is limited to only 400 people. For Saturday and Sunday, it is just regular admission like it used to be. If I wasn't running a half on Saturday morning, this is what I would have signed up for.

edit: And it looks like the VIP session is supposed to have some special tappings based on the website. Since this is the first year they are doing it, I can't say if this is true or not.

toenut fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 13, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ReaperUnreal posted:

Just going back to the label chat a few pages back, sometimes breweries take the time to make real art and it's great. Beau's brewery does art well enough that they actually sell posters of their labels. Here's some choice examples:

I like the bogfather one the best and really wanna try it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

toenut posted:

The VIP is brand new this year, and is on Friday only. This was added for the people that don't want to deal with the crowds as it is limited to only 400 people.

Right, but even 400 is too big for that place! It's not even the size of a football field!

When I went last year, yeah the beer was really great but the entire event was waiting in line and having a beer taster every 20-30 minutes under the summer heat, without any shade, unable to move unobstructed or to hear anything except for bad DJ music. It's not an exaggeration to say that it put me off beer festivals entirely for a while. At that point it's just not worth it, especially when Cascade is just a few blocks away and you can get Portland's best fruit beers anytime you want over there -- especially if you're air- and are in Portland for a limited time.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 13, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Uuudar posted:

I got there after the Off Color kicked, but had so many pours of those Side Projects. Anyone recall what they even were?

This is what I remember from the event:

Abraxas 2013
Coffee Abraxas 2013
Saison du Fermier
Saison du Ble
Brett Project #1 w/lacto (Cantillon strain)
Brett Project #2 (3 Fonteinen strain)
Brett Project #2 w/lacto

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Right, but even 400 is too big for that place! It's not even the size of a football field!

When I went last year, yeah the beer was really great but the entire event was waiting in line and having a beer taster every 20-30 minutes under the summer heat, without any shade, unable to move unobstructed or to hear anything except for bad DJ music. It's not an exaggeration to say that it put me off beer festivals entirely for a while. At that point it's just not worth it, especially when Cascade is just a few blocks away and you can get Portland's best fruit beers anytime you want over there -- especially if you're air- and are in Portland for a limited time.

I'll be with a friend, his wife, and child (Portland is probably the one place where it's ok to have a kid at a beer fest??? the thing said all ages...) so I doubt we'll stick around when the masses show up. The VIP was less than half the price of GABF/WTF, so I figure not a big loss if it ends up being a bust.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
I think 400 should be manageable if you do the VIP on Friday. If you go on Saturday or Sunday, there isn't any type of VIP option, so I'd go when they open and expect to only stay for about 2 hours. I didn't make it last year, but the two years before I got there just after opening on Saturday and left a couple hours later when it got insanely full.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Excuses, excuses, I'm a horrible craft drinker, anyway...

Round 2.

Vanilla Noir

Coming off a strong showing with Noir. From Hatful's description, I was expecting a vanilla bomb that was going to wreck my palate. Didn't get that, tbqh. Very sweet, a little astringent, but not in a bad way. Very effervescent. Minimal nose, but that may be due to my horrible allergies (I've got a bright pink eye right now, thanks sinuses!). Very enjoyable drink, but maybe a little less syrupy than I'd like it to be. I like this, though. Very nice. 3.5 stars.

Edit: Oh, there it is. Warming up brings out the vanilla... Like, excessive vanilla. Whoo boy. Not sure I like where this is going.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 13, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm far more excited about this than I should be.

Best believe I'm drinking one of them.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Phanatic posted:

I'm far more excited about this than I should be.

Best believe I'm drinking one of them.

i'd go for the one on the right...

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

You might be fine if you do the VIP thing. Otherwise, I would skip it.

Edit: Will you be around for the Beer and Cheese Fest on June 15th?

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

funkybottoms posted:

i'd go for the one on the right...

Hell no, I'm going for the full, Stephen King, bad-beer-turns-you-into-mushroom experience.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

a worthy uhh posted:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi/10.1371/journal.pone.0095384

"present study failed to isolate the key micro-organisms P. damnosus, S. cerevisiae and D. bruxellensis from environmental samples.... All casks had been used for lambic production before, preceded by their use in different fermentations, mostly red wine, so they could have retained specific microbiota in spite of cleaning procedures after previous fermentations "

As a micro/beer nerd this is pretty cool. I wonder if any mass yeast producers would ever include enteric bacteria in their sour mixes

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not raiding too deep today, but I had been meaning to try this one anyhow!

Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus from 2013 - figured it would be appropriate given the raspberry whipped cream in progress behind it. Much lighter tartness than Cantillon's standard gueuze, but the raspberry comes through beautifully with the aftertaste. Super easy to drink and absolutely does not disappoint!

Edit: son of a bitch, that's the second time today I've thought it was Wednesday. :negative: Oh well, one day early.

Podima fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 14, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Hell no, I'm going for the full, Stephen King, bad-beer-turns-you-into-mushroom experience.

hahaha, i prefer to go the Deltron route of upgrading my gray matter, but to each their own

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tonight is a 2013 Terrapin Wake-N-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout. Holy moley, this is loving tasty. This is the last beer from the last BIF we did. There's a nice roasty coffee flavor up front, which mellows out pretty quickly into a dark chocolate flavor, but the aftertaste is a bit more bitter than that. Seriously, Atlanta/Southern goons, if you still have this on the shelf, please send me more.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Drank a delicious Cuvee de Mortagne tonight. I thought it was a little sweet with delicious oak, raisin, and date flavors when I looked over and saw it was 14% alcohol. I could not taste it. Not one delicious bit. Great beer I drank waaaaaaaaay too quickly.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Easy Jack verdict: Better than Stone Go-To, but still not nearly as good as Founders All Day or Lagunitas Daytime.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Easy Jack verdict: Better than Stone Go-To, but still not nearly as good as Founders All Day or Lagunitas Daytime.

I said that last week!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I wish it were easier to get Alpine Babyface since it's ruined all other "session" ipa's for me, but it's tap only. Would love to try that side by side against Daisy Cutter and Zombie Dust, think that's the true test.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

americanzero4128 posted:

Tonight is a 2013 Terrapin Wake-N-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout. Holy moley, this is loving tasty. This is the last beer from the last BIF we did. There's a nice roasty coffee flavor up front, which mellows out pretty quickly into a dark chocolate flavor, but the aftertaste is a bit more bitter than that. Seriously, Atlanta/Southern goons, if you still have this on the shelf, please send me more.

I love that beer; you should try it fresh for more coffee goodness. I'd be surprised if much was left on the shelves now, but it is really easy to find when it's released.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I love that beer; you should try it fresh for more coffee goodness. I'd be surprised if much was left on the shelves now, but it is really easy to find when it's released.

we've probably had this discussion, but it actually ages well despite the coffee fading out. i wouldn't take an aged bottle over a fresh one, mind, but i'd take an aged WnB over an aged FBS. also, if it's 2013 it's probably the most recent batch as it's a fall release.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I'm still drinking 2012 Wake N Bake and it is definitely still good. I much prefer it fresh since the coffee fades fairly quickly but it's still a drat good imperial stout once the coffee is gone. 2013 would be the most current batch available since it's made in late Fall/early Winter.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm going against my usual stance of "drink coffee beer fresh" but I quite liked WnB with 6 months on it. But I guess I also like Speedway with a year on it. So who knows. Rules are meant to be broken I guess.

For cellar raid wednesday/D&D night I'm opening another round of Bomb vs Bible Belt as well as Noir vs Vanilla Noir vs Coffee Noir. The last time I did this I thought Bomb was superior to Bible Belt and Coffee Noir was the best variant. We'll see if I still feel that way this time around.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I'm going to be in Akron to play a show at Musica this Friday night and was wondering if there's anything special available at the Hoppin' Frog taproom (bottles or tap) that doesn't make it out to their regular distro? Also, Kudosx come on out and let me buy you a beer, my band is Vintage Blue, and we'll be closing out the night, I'll be the dude playing keys, saxes, percussion, glockenspiel, cowbell...and occasionally screaming into a microphone.

Edit: also, I can't cellar dive tonight, but I'll see what I can find that's interesting and rehearsal suitable.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Just to note: I'll be in Portland 6/12 to 6/15 alongside air-, let's have a party~~~

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I agree that WnB ages well (up to a point, as I discovered when I found one with a few years on it), but I'd still say that I enjoy it the most when it's fresh.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

BoredByThis posted:

I'm going to be in Akron to play a show at Musica this Friday night and was wondering if there's anything special available at the Hoppin' Frog taproom (bottles or tap) that doesn't make it out to their regular distro? Also, Kudosx come on out and let me buy you a beer, my band is Vintage Blue, and we'll be closing out the night, I'll be the dude playing keys, saxes, percussion, glockenspiel, cowbell...and occasionally screaming into a microphone.

Edit: also, I can't cellar dive tonight, but I'll see what I can find that's interesting and rehearsal suitable.

I'm working the closing shift Friday night and probably won't be out til about 2 am :(

Hoppin Frog will have BORIS VanWink on draft all week for Craft Beer week, but just as a forewarning (and I'm sure you know this), their beers are super expensive. I think to drink a pint of BVW at their tap room it will run you $11-$12. It's a pretty cool place to check out if you've never been, but if you do food + beer, be prepared to walk out with a $30+ tab.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

Hoppin Frog will have BORIS VanWink on draft all week for Craft Beer week, but just as a forewarning (and I'm sure you know this), their beers are super expensive. I think to drink a pint of BVW at their tap room it will run you $11-$12. It's a pretty cool place to check out if you've never been, but if you do food + beer, be prepared to walk out with a $30+ tab.

If I could get away with a $30 tab at any bar in Chicago, I'd be elated. Also: do they really serve PINTS of things like that? Jesus...

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Just to note: I'll be in Portland 6/12 to 6/15 alongside air-, let's have a party~~~

Portland Party! I have a wedding to attend on the 14th, but it would be cool to do something any of the other nights.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I may have to stop by for Boris van Wink on Saturday on the way to Columbus (playing Scarlet and Gray Cafe Saturday night). Might be worth it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

If I could get away with a $30 tab at any bar in Chicago, I'd be elated. Also: do they really serve PINTS of things like that? Jesus...

I'm talking sandwich + 2 beers is $30. I've been in other areas and paid similar prices, but it's super expensive for OH. Yes, they serve pints of anything under 11% alcohol. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, as people who aren't really experienced with craft beers will go in there and get tanked off two pints without really thinking about it.

BoredByThis posted:

I may have to stop by for Boris van Wink on Saturday on the way to Columbus (playing Scarlet and Gray Cafe Saturday night). Might be worth it.

It's worth trying if you've never had it, although I think I prefer most other PVW stouts to it. They needed to age it longer imo, but to each their own...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 14, 2014

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Is Black Tokyo Horizon as good as BA reviews indicate? It's $16/330ml here which seems crazy.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

air- posted:

I wish it were easier to get Alpine Babyface since it's ruined all other "session" ipa's for me, but it's tap only. Would love to try that side by side against Daisy Cutter and Zombie Dust, think that's the true test.

I honestly think it's better than Daisy Cutter, and that plus Hoppy Birthday were the benchmarks for the style for me for a long time now.

In other news, Ballast Point is making Even Keel, a 3.8% "session IPA." The arms race is on.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

wattershed posted:

In other news, Ballast Point is making Even Keel, a 3.8% "session IPA." The arms race is on.

I'd legit buy that just for the abv if its not terrible. It'd be perfect for summer sports.

E: vvv obviously. Haha

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 15, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
they lose if they don't can it, though

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Stone Smoked Porter from 1+yrs ago that I found in the back of my fridge. I bought this to cook with and forgot about it, apparently. The smoke has mellowed from how I remember it, and it's got a really nice balance between the roast/smoke/dryness. I wouldn't age this on purpose, but it's really satistfying and flavorful for an old medium-ABV smoked beer.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

danbanana posted:

If I could get away with a $30 tab at any bar in Chicago, I'd be elated.

The Bad Apple is surprisingly affordable considering that it's in North Center, serves a poo poo ton of craft beers, and has really, really good burgers. Have I mentioned that I love The Bad Apple? I love The Bad Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

wattershed posted:

I honestly think it's better than Daisy Cutter, and that plus Hoppy Birthday were the benchmarks for the style for me for a long time now.

I had Even Keel last year. Ballast Point can do better.

Currently just popped open my raid beer and am waiting to finish a full glass before writing down thoughts, but it's motherfukin CCB Leon time. :stare: