Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

corpuscollossus posted:

Changes to the Kafala system are to be announced in a press conference this afternoon.

If you wanted to watch the E:60 piece on Kafala, btw, it's up here: http://bluefoottv.com/projects/e60-qatars-world-cup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Was Taters posted:

If you wanted to watch the E:60 piece on Kafala, btw, it's up here: http://bluefoottv.com/projects/e60-qatars-world-cup/

I'll do that while indulging in some light cutting.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

corpuscollossus posted:

Result of the press conference: Things will definitely change from the Kafala system to a new system that we call something else as soon as we get the committee to submit their recommendations to the cabinet for approval. Deadline to be confirmed.

I'm fuckd

Are you literally trapped in Qatar?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Are you literally trapped in Qatar?

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Quatar will never change. It is run be incredibly greedy men who have no sense of morality. Get out if you are not a literal slave.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

corpuscollossus posted:

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

Hang in there, the famous Qatari sense of justice for all and the Rule of Law will save you.
This is sarcasm, get out before you're actually stuck.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

corpuscollossus posted:

Get out before they stick you in jail for being a poor foreigner.

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

Throw Qatar down the well

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

corpuscollossus posted:

Have you considered leading a slave uprising?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mhysa Mhysa

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

corpuscollossus posted:

Get out and never look back

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

This for fucks sake. If you think anything will change with the laughable checks and balances that Qatar has in place and the amount of money being thrown around you are delusional.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I can't believe there's a poster on these forums literally trapped in Qatar. Get the hell out man, jeez!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Blue Screen Error posted:

This IMO

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Bogan Krkic posted:

I can't believe there's a poster on these forums literally trapped in Qatar. Get the hell out man, jeez!

Yeah, I didn't realize that's where you were and I hope that post didn't come off as a taunt, corpuscollossus.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Dravs posted:

Quatar will never change. It is run be incredibly greedy men who have no sense of morality. Get out if you are not a literal slave.

It's run by Daniel Levy? Haha just kidding, these human rights abuses are bad.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

I hadn't OP

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Just as soon as I level up with the bank. Heh.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

You have my backing 100% I'll retweet whatever you need

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

Are you retarded?? Why the gently caress wouldn't you be on the first plane outta there loving hell

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

#iamcorpuscollossus

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I will retweet but I don't like bananas so I won't eat one and instagram it, sorry.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Byolante posted:

I will retweet but I don't like bananas so I won't eat one and instagram it, sorry.

you're supposed to instagram kebab

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
#BringBackOurCorpusCollossus

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Qatar government admits almost 1,000 fatalities among migrant workers

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
"In light of the apparently unusually high levels of heart attacks, it calls for an independent study into sudden cardiac arrests over the next three years and for there to be proper investigation into unexpected or sudden deaths."

Yes, three more years of "sudden" heart attacks should give us a baseline to launch a subcommittee on investigating the cause

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Look, if we get three, maybe four more thousand fatalities we are gonna really start taking this poo poo by the horns.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

corpuscollossus posted:

Seriously, get out while you still can. You can either be at home with nothing or in Qatar with nothing. DO you have your passport in your possesion? If so just pull a loving runner.

edit: YOu have been keeping records of all the bullshit right? Just in case you need to explain things to future employers/authorities.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

corpuscollossus posted:

Seriously get to your nearest consulate and don't leave it without a flight back home.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
GET TO THE CHOPPA

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
A brief overview of the changes:

• The Qatar Chamber of Commerce (strongly opposed to any change) have to make recommendations and amends to the proposal before it gets approved by cabinet.
• Employers no longer issue exit permits. You apply for an exit permit on a government website, and your employer has 72 hours to block you leaving.
• The kafala system has been 'scrapped'. Now there's an employer/employee contract, where an employee can leave at the end of the contract. Employers are allowed to give open-ended contracts, in which case the employee can leave after 5 years.
• You are no longer banned from Qatar for 2 years after leaving employment.

So nothing has changed

e: http://dohanews.co/expats-express-disappointment-proposed-labor-law-changes/

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 15, 2014

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

corpuscollossus posted:

• The Qatar Chamber of Commerce (strongly opposed to any change) have to make recommendations and amends to the proposal before it gets approved by cabinet.
• Employers no longer issue exit permits. You apply for an exit permit on a government website, and your employer has 72 hours to block you leaving.
• The kafala system has been 'scrapped'. Now there's an employer/employee contract, where an employee can leave at the end of the contract. Employers are allowed to give open-ended contracts, in which case the employee can leave after 5 years.

So nothing has changed

What a piece of poo poo country.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ha, an employee is "allowed" to leave a contract after 5 years. That changes literally nothing. The good news is that you now apply to the government to be allowed to leave the country! The bad news is it's all online so you don't actually interact with any officials to help with the process and your employer can arbitrarily block it. I guess it gives the odd person the chance to sneak an exit visa if they can distract their employer for 3 days and actually get access to an internet enabled computer and navigate to the correct site and correctly apply for this exit visa in a language they probably do not even speak let alone are literate in.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

corpuscollossus posted:

So nothing has changed

run to an embassy and apply for refugee status

Any embassy. I'm not joking.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

corpuscollossus posted:

So nothing has changed

If you are still in this country by Monday I'm going to assume that you are okay with being trapped there forever.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Der Shovel posted:

Didn't the oval office run unopposed last time with the excuse that it was his last go?

Late but I wanted to post these

Now let's get back to trying to rescue a TRP poster from indentured slavery in a desert shithole toilet

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Stop posting about it here they're literally reading along over your shoulder in the Gulf m8

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Koesj posted:

Stop posting about it here they're literally reading along over your shoulder in the Gulf m8

There's enough outrage and vitriol about this all over that this is fine (probably). Provided you don't name names or make threats you're ok. As for leaving, there's no way until my contract is up. Embassies won't help unless you're in serious poo poo (the British embassy wouldn't give any assistance to a mate who was arrested on completely spurious charges in Oman and had to sleep rough for two months), and besides being painted into a corner here I'm worse off back home. If I were single and childless I'd have left three years ago.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The UK and the US are as much to blame as Qatar for letting this poo poo happen.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

El Hefe posted:

The UK and the US are as much to blame as Qatar for letting this poo poo happen.

Don't post in this thread please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

corpuscollossus posted:

There's enough outrage and vitriol about this all over that this is fine (probably). Provided you don't name names or make threats you're ok. As for leaving, there's no way until my contract is up. Embassies won't help unless you're in serious poo poo (the British embassy wouldn't give any assistance to a mate who was arrested on completely spurious charges in Oman and had to sleep rough for two months), and besides being painted into a corner here I'm worse off back home. If I were single and childless I'd have left three years ago.

You brought your children to Qatar

You actually loving did that

Jesus christ man find an excuse good enough for the embassy and get them out at least.