Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Khazar-khum posted:

Pretty much. Yennefer is really an ugly, deformed hunchback whose parents basically dumped her at sorceress school. Geralt knows this, because he can see her true form. She is not happy that he knows her secret. The others are open about their sexual needs and desires. They tend to think of Geralt as something of a conquest.

Geralt has a sentimental, romantic feeling about women in general. He treats them with deference and kindness. Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him. He would much prefer to live in monogamy with her, but their relationship is too volatile. When he is with her he is committed to her, a courtesy she doesn't always extend to him. When they're apart, he drifts from woman to woman, while she does the same with men.

The game uglied him up. He's generally described as good-looking, being pale to the point of albino, with eyes like a viper. He's an exotic alpha male with a supremely alpha job. Lots of women find that irresistable. And he's good in bed.

Short answer: he's a man's fantasy figure.

Remember these images of Geralt before the community got up in arms because he didn't look like he did in the first game?

Basically what Khazar described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Khazar-khum posted:

Pretty much. Yennefer is really an ugly, deformed hunchback whose parents basically dumped her at sorceress school. Geralt knows this, because he can see her true form. She is not happy that he knows her secret. The others are open about their sexual needs and desires. They tend to think of Geralt as something of a conquest.

Geralt has a sentimental, romantic feeling about women in general. He treats them with deference and kindness. Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him. He would much prefer to live in monogamy with her, but their relationship is too volatile. When he is with her he is committed to her, a courtesy she doesn't always extend to him. When they're apart, he drifts from woman to woman, while she does the same with men.

The game uglied him up. He's generally described as good-looking, being pale to the point of albino, with eyes like a viper. He's an exotic alpha male with a supremely alpha job. Lots of women find that irresistable. And he's good in bed.

Short answer: he's a man's fantasy figure.

As an addendum to this excellent summary of the romance in Geralt's world, it's also worth noting that he is sterile. Not only is he the ultimate warrior female gently caress fantasy, but he can't even get women pregnant. No woman has to worry about their husband finding out she cheated so long as she isn't caught, and he's also immune to disease.

I do think the Geralt in the games is pretty attractive in an exotic sort of way. Note: I am a dude who is not gay, to be clear. But when I played the first game, then read the first book "The Last Wish" I found everything about his charactr consistent across both mediums.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Yennefer is not a hunchback. She used to be, and Geralt was able to figure it out, but it's not an illusion. Through the power of magic/sorcery she's actually beautiful. Her deformity was repaired the same as Vilgafortz was able to almost grow back his eye and half his face.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 13, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

In the games, he has a sort of unconventional attractiveness which I can appreciate as apposed to the more traditional handsome like seen in those early screen shots posted earlier.

In the books, Yennefer is also referred to as being 'unconventionally beautiful'. I never really knew how to read that to be honest. She's also one I can't really pin a good mental voice on when reading.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

chaosapiant posted:

I do think the Geralt in the games is pretty attractive in an exotic sort of way. Note: I am a dude who is not gay, to be clear. But when I played the first game, then read the first book "The Last Wish" I found everything about his charactr consistent across both mediums.

I think Geralt looks pretty handsome in the games and I say this as a straight woman who doesn't normally notice or say poo poo like that about fictional characters. :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lot of people misspelling Iorveth here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Lot of people misspelling Iorveth here.

Iorveth just looks really loving weird to me even for an elf. And that's not including the missing eye thing. He has this permanent expression on his face like he just smelled something really bad.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
We all know the real looker is Loredo.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!
You can't forget that when a Sorceress touches a Witcher they give off an electrical buzz or something. So, he's a living breathing dildo for them...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lunchtray posted:

You can't forget that when a Sorceress touches a Witcher they give off an electrical buzz or something. So, he's a living breathing dildo for them...

Kind of a vibrating buzz, which seems to work on all women during sex.

You know, thinking of a TV show...it might be best to frame it like the old "Kung Fu", where there's the adult Geralt intercut with scenes from his childhood and Witcher training. That way the audience wouldn't be completely overwhelmed.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Also Kung Fu was awesome.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Yennefer is not a hunchback. She used to be, and Geralt was able to figure it out, but it's not an illusion. Through the power of magic/sorcery she's actually beautiful. Her deformity was repaired the same as Vilgafortz was able to almost grow back his eye and half his face.

Yeah this is the case. Geralt looked at her and thought "She has the eyes of a hunchback." Him "seeing her true form" was figurative. He could tell by the way she carried herself that she was born ugly. She isn't anymore. Closer to inhumanly beautiful. Magical plastic surgery is awesome like that. Interesting tangentially related note: Sorcerers/Sorceresses also freeze their aging, but at different times largely varying by sex. Women stop themselves in their early 20's for maximum physical attractiveness. Men typically do it in their late 30's or early 40's, to hopefully better create an air of authority.

Philippa Eilhart is an exception. She's older physically than most sorceresses tend to be. Mid 30's if I remember correctly.

Kimmalah posted:

Iorveth just looks really loving weird to me even for an elf. And that's not including the missing eye thing. He has this permanent expression on his face like he just smelled something really bad.
Every time you see him, he's in the presence of a human. Figure it out from there.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Khazar-khum posted:

Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him.

Tell that to Fringilla Vigo. The Lodge got played so hard.

Also speaking of Fringilla, I really hope she didn't get killed along with Assire in W2. Fringilla is one of the cooler sorcs. Plus if she did live she would probably be in Toussaint, and I really want to visit there in the Witcher 3.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 14, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There was communication between Lodge agents in Cintra and Loc Muinne as late as the last bit of Act 3 of The Witcher 2. (Sile is aware that Nilfgaard has forded the Yaruga river almost immediately). It's possible she was able to tell everyone the Lodge was compromised, in which case Fringilla may have managed to get out of Dodge.

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014

Coughing Hobo posted:

:siren:The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Killing Monsters trailer YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO WATCH THIS :siren:
:siren:THE REDKIT HAS ARRIVED:siren:

CURRENT PATCH: FEBRUARY 21, 2013 - 3.3 FOR PC
CURRENT NEWS: FUCKIN' REDKIT, BABY

[Official site] - You may want to avoid the forums here. Like all official forums, they are... not good.
[Good Old Games store page]
[Game manual courtesy of Steam]
[Previous SA Thread]

[Enhanced Edition Launch Trailer - True Hero] - Pretty loving rad.
[New Elements Trailer] - Kickass trailer with a brief summary of the new content in the Enhanced Edition.
[Enhanced Edition Intro Cinematic] - WATCH THIS
[The Story of The Witcher 1] - A surprisingly good recap of the first game. Worth a look.
[What is a Witcher] - A neat, informative video of what, exactly, a Witcher is. This and the following video are a good indicator of what the game feels like.
[52 and a half] - Nothing to do with the story, really more of a showcase of the RED Engine. Pretty neat, nonetheless.
[The Bard: Savior of Queens] - Better than Geralt could ever be.

[The Witcher 1 Intro Cinematic] - For completion's sake.
[The Witcher 1 Ending Cinematic] - For completion's sake. Why Foltest trusts Geralt so much.

[Wiki]
[Nexus Modsite] - A word of warning: many mods haven't been updated to work properly with the Enhanced Edition patch.

What is this "Enhanced Edition" nonsense?
In May of 2011, CD Projekt RED released The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings on the PC. On April 17, 2012, The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition was released on the Xbox 360, and as a free patch on the PC. Like the enhanced edition patch for the original Witcher, the patch brought numerous fixes and gameplay balances, as well as hours of additional content (largely in Act 3, previously a very small, epilogue-like chapter) and an expanded ending.

CDPR offers a free backup copy of The Witcher 1 and 2 through GoG if you purchased the game via another method! - [Redemption page] - All you need is your CD key/product code. For Steam users who don't have a key, or if you've lost your key, check the sidebar for a link to further instructions.

Do I need to play The Witcher 1 first?
The short version is no. While the stories of each game are not entirely self-contained, the Witcher 2 does familiarize you with the characters and events of the first game decently enough. As posted above, this video - [The Story of The Witcher 1] - gives you a good summary, though you miss out on character details.

I however do recommend playing the first game - [GoG store page] - but go in understanding that the gameplay is... divisive to say the least, and the game's performance may vary wildly; it was built off of the Aurora engine, which was used for Neverwinter Nights 1 and was showing its age even when Witcher 1 first game out. It's perfectly understandable and no one will look down on you for playing on easy and blowing through the game without challenge. If you do play it, do your best to stomach Acts 1 and 2. They're slow, plodding, and not very indicative of the moral grey areas the Witcher loves to play in. Act 3 and beyond will be sure to captivate you.

I keep dying this game is too hard
The biggest spike in difficulty for the Witcher 2 comes from unfamiliarity with the controls and combat systems. There are a couple pieces of advice that will help you to grasp the full breadth of Geralt's arsenal of abilities and equipment.

1: Read the manual! You know how most manuals are totally loving useless nowadays? Not this game! Give it a gander. Free copy can be found here, courtesy of Steam.

2: Do the tutorial! It's short, informative (as how a tutorial should be, but also in how the world generally views Witchers), and actually pretty funny. You won't walk away a master, but you'll at least know how everything works. And don't be discouraged if you get curbstomped by the final waves, I'm fairly experienced at the game and it happens to me regularly.

3: Use Quen. They nerfed it, and it still is the best. Unupgraded, it absorbs one blow. Maxed out, when someone attacks you, they just die. Keep in mind, however, that while Quen is active, Vigor won't regenerate. This can be problematic early on when you have a low pool of Vigor to work with, and with the new Fatigue system, having no-to-low Vigor can significantly impact your damage dealing capability.

4: Don't play fair. I think this is the most important rule to follow. You're almost always outnumbered, but never outmatched. There's a reason you have two swords, bombs, traps, signs, throwing knives, potions, and a deep, sexy voice: you're not supposed to be on an even keel with whatever fool attacks you. Do whatever you can to win, because there is no reward in how you kill them, just that you kill them.

5: There are no wrong decisions! In purely gameplay terms, there are no wrong decisions. In most instances, you're given the same reward, or something comparable, from different decisions to the same question. Only in very rare, and frankly pretty obvious circumstances do you get a straight lesser reward for not selecting a certain response.

Dark Mode is not for a first playthrough. On Dark Mode, many things can and will kill you in one hit.

Oh god look at all of these talents I don't know where to put them
There's no real wrong way to distribute talents. All of them are useful to some degree. A good start is to cover the basics, what seems like the stuff you absolutely cannot fight without; from the Witcher tree, you'll want the ability to throw daggers and to block arrows. The talent that gives you faster Vigor regeneration is worth putting two points in, as it will give you +1 Vigor, which is invaluable early game. From the swordsman path, riposte and one point in dodge roll (personally, I like putting two points in dodge roll). From the alchemy path, grab the talent that increases bomb and potion strength, and from the mage/sign path, more Vigor and upgraded Quen and Aard. That'll give you a good baseline of power. From there, it's up to you. Again, there's no wrong way to distribute talents.

Mutagens
You'll notice a little circle next to some of your talents after you invest points in them. That means you can slap a mutagen on it. You'll find mutagens as loot from monsters. Once you slot a mutagen to a talent, you cannot replace or remove it. Therefore, it's recommended that you sell (or use for brewing potions) any mutagen that doesn't contain the Greater prefix to maximize your potential.

So what's all this bullshit talk about two Act 2's
It isn't bullshit, fake questioner! Depending on your decision of who to side with at the end of Act 1, you'll be taken to two different locations with different characters, quests and motivations that carry over into Act 3! Moreso than other games of this nature, this is a massive reason for a replay. My suggestion is to make a save when you are given the quest entitled At A Crossroads, and stash it away, so when you finish the game you can skip the prologue and Act 1 and simply choose the other side.

Why do a lot of the men in Flotsam not have pants?
It's a muggy forest, and a lot of them work in muddy water. I wouldn't wear pants, either.

CDPR says it was a bug, one that they refuse to fix because of artistic integrity it's too funny.

Personal note
I hope to keep this thread updated for as long as interest remains in the game. Hopefully with the release of EE, mod-making will get started back up, and if we're really lucky, CDPR will release a toolset, making the job easier THEY'RE DOING IT, HELL YEAH :woop: I really enjoy this game, and the developers are classy people, who've done things to support the game and community in ways that other companies would charge for or outright not do.

The most important thing is to enjoy the game and bang lots of women, and kill the occasional monster.

All of the screenshots (save for deal with it Saskia just above) were taken by me, everything save for ubersampling maxed out.

I just got confused with your thread title. I thought you were asking who Yennefer is. In the Witcher world, she's a sorceress who is Geralt's true love and Triss' friend. Right?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
We just launched our new website but it's crashing from traffic. :P

http://cdpred.com/

I honestly have no idea if it's got any cool news on it, but we're showing off our new logo.

EDIT: English version works http://en.cdprojektred.com/

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bladesofskrm posted:

I just got confused with your thread title. I thought you were asking who Yennefer is. In the Witcher world, she's a sorceress who is Geralt's true love and Triss' friend. Right?
That's who she is, but the title is a joke.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Somehow I doubt she'll still be Triss's friend when she finds out how rapidly Triss took advantage of her apparent death.

New CD Projekt Website posted:

The Industry leader in creating roleplaying games
Not terribly subtle.

(It's totally true though. It's like Obsidian's writing with Bioware's production values)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

(It's totally true though. It's like Obsidian's writing with Bioware's production values)

I think we need a few more titles before we can legit claim that title, but we're working on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think we need a few more titles before we can legit claim that title, but we're working on it.

Am I dreaming, or did I miss something...we have a real live CDPR goon?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Don't even dare get bought off by EA! :argh:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

chaosapiant posted:

Am I dreaming, or did I miss something...we have a real live CDPR goon?

I haven't been posting here recently because there hasn't been much to talk about, but yeah, I've been here for about a year. Previously I was at Obsidian.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nauta posted:

Don't even dare get bought off by EA! :argh:

That might be more legally complicated to pull off given that it's a Polish company, I'd think/hope.

I haven't been posting here recently because there hasn't been much to talk about, but yeah, I've been here for about a year. Previously I was at Obsidian.

How'd that happen? Isn't it a bit of a move?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

How'd that happen? Isn't it a bit of a move?

yep

edit: that was cagey, so here's my answer as to why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

The Sharmat posted:

Somehow I doubt she'll still be Triss's friend when she finds out how rapidly Triss took advantage of her apparent death.

She already has/had a semi-hateful relationship with Triss. Everytime Triss shows up in the same area as Geralt and Yennifer, Yen will give her a death stare and berate her for being in love with Geralt. Also they are kind of friends and kind of not at all. Triss betrays Yen pretty hard(though she helps her in the 'end.')

That being said, it really wasn't taking that much advantage, Geralt was in a relationship with Triss pre-amnesia. Her actions in W1(as I remember them) could basically be her hopeful thinking that he would remember their relationship. Also people tend to take things less personally in the Witcher universe. like how Geralt has a several month love affair with the woman who almost permanently blinded Yennifer at the Battle of Brenna. And that same woman, helps Yennifer greatly twice, both directly and indirectly saving her life.

yep

edit: that was cagey, so here's my answer as to why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Does that mean you are working on Cyberpunk then, and not the Witcher?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

That being said, it really wasn't taking that much advantage, Geralt was in a relationship with Triss pre-amnesia.

But not in the way she deliberately implied. It was a pretty scummy thing to do. All's fair in love and war though, I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

But not in the way she deliberately implied. It was a pretty scummy thing to do. All's fair in love and war though, I guess.

The Triss/Geralt/Yennefer love triangle is handled well, I think, in the books, and look forward to seeing how it plays out in-game. Triss loves Geralt, and hates the way Yennefer treats him. But she knows she'll never be loved like he loves Yennefer. Geralt will never love another woman like he does Yennefer, and Yennefer will never love another man like Geralt, but will always keep him at arms length because he makes her vulnerable. It's like real life drama and poo poo!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Does that mean you are working on Cyberpunk then, and not the Witcher?

I'm actually just here to talk about Witcher 2 and cross-post press releases from time to time, I can't talk about my job at all, I only mention it so people don't think I'm one of those secret corporate shills. I'm upfront about my shilling.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

I'm actually just here to talk about Witcher 2 and cross-post press releases from time to time, I can't talk about my job at all, I only mention it so people don't think I'm one of those secret corporate shills. I'm upfront about my shilling.

Well, thus far CDPR hasn't made a habit out of making promises it can't keep*, so shill away!

*you know, except for Witcher 3 this year, you son of a bitch

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, thus far CDPR hasn't made a habit out of making promises it can't keep*, so shill away!

*you know, except for Witcher 3 this year, you son of a bitch

I think I can live with it when a company is upfront and delays release to make a game better. :v: Too many companies just shove half-finished titles out there to meet a deadline, so it's kind of refreshing.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

The Triss/Geralt/Yennefer love triangle is handled well, I think, in the books, and look forward to seeing how it plays out in-game. Triss loves Geralt, and hates the way Yennefer treats him. But she knows she'll never be loved like he loves Yennefer. Geralt will never love another woman like he does Yennefer, and Yennefer will never love another man like Geralt, but will always keep him at arms length because he makes her vulnerable. It's like real life drama and poo poo!

Realistic characters?! Crazy!!

As a soul English speaker, it's fun to read through the slow official translations and then play through the games again. Oh hey, all these references to things I didn't know before!

Sadly, I doubt they'll finish them by the time the third game comes out. I know a basic overview of what happens, but I like all the little details. I'll be sad I'm missing them on my first play through...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

As a soul English speaker, it's fun to read through the slow official translations and then play through the games again. Oh hey, all these references to things I didn't know before!

Sadly, I doubt they'll finish them by the time the third game comes out. I know a basic overview of what happens, but I like all the little details. I'll be sad I'm missing them on my first play through...

I read through all the unofficials translations last summer in addition to the ones officially translated in English, and while I'm sure much of the prose is lost in translation, the characters and story still come through. Best read I've had this side of Song of Ice and Fire. And it gave me an entire new appreciation for the Witcher games and what they were going for. If you know your Game of Thrones references, Ciri is basically Danaerys+Arya Stark.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

It's definitely a weird and cool experience when a minor character shows up in the books and you suddenly connect them to a minor character in the games. For example, Zyvik, the soldier that shows you around Henselt's camp and is involved in a few Act 2 quests, actually shows up among the Dun Banner in book 4. He even has lines! And in a voice consistent with how he's presented in the game!

You can really tell the guys that worked on the Witcher loved the setting they're working in.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

Honestly not that they explicitly promised it, but they had a Witcher 3 features list awhile ago that if they are even able to deliver on half of what they said it will be the best game of the entire decade bar none.

Like I don't work in the industry, but I feel I have a pretty firm grasp from having played a ton of videogames, half my friends being programmers and 3/5 of my immediate family having Comp Sci degrees. And that features list reads like a list of things they would like to have in a game giving infinite money and time in an ideal world. But having a dynamic realistic economy, temperature effecting the real world and village population migration, dynamic AI in battles that reacts adaptively with tactics and can flee in fear, monsters that dynamically hunt prey in a real world and each have telltale signs that you can use to track them down to their lairs like some kind of medieval Sherlock Holmes. ONTOP of having the same high quality cinematics, story telling, voice acting, some of the highest end RPG graphics yet created in a world larger than Skyrim?

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. And if I do see it, I will probably suspect witchcraft or some kind of soul selling deal with Satan.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

If I got a W2 reboot with an open world and even slightly expanded gameplay I'd be happy. Anything above that is cake.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I read through all the unofficials translations last summer in addition to the ones officially translated in English, and while I'm sure much of the prose is lost in translation, the characters and story still come through. Best read I've had this side of Song of Ice and Fire. And it gave me an entire new appreciation for the Witcher games and what they were going for. If you know your Game of Thrones references, Ciri is basically Danaerys+Arya Stark.

Yeah, I'm reading through a different translation of Sword of Destiny right now. The one I read prior was a lot better, but I cannot find it for the life of me anymore. I mean, it's alright, but the dialogue can be kinda wooden and they don't translate some of the names into the established English versions. It's a kindle file so I can't just auto change words, so I gotta correct Jaskier to Dandelion mentally. Kinda annoying, but doable.

Yeah, I always compared Ciri and Arya in my head as well.

I think one of my fears about Witcher 3 is the size. A world larger than Skyrim, but with gameplay hours amounting to a lot less. To me that says a whole lot of empty ground to cover. Skyrim is just bursting with content though, maybe a little too much with caves and such every 500 feet. But I'm still afraid of big expanses of cool looking scenery with nothing really there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think one of my fears about Witcher 3 is the size. A world larger than Skyrim, but with gameplay hours amounting to a lot less. To me that says a whole lot of empty ground to cover. Skyrim is just bursting with content though, maybe a little too much with caves and such every 500 feet. But I'm still afraid of big expanses of cool looking scenery with nothing really there.

Supposedly they want to have more of the basic Witcher-ing to do. If they have the dynamic hunter-stalks-prey and certain creatures have certain habitats, they need a big world. I thought Skyrim was ridiculous with how much content there was in both a good and bad way. Good because some of it is really really neat; like a cave you go into that has poachers... they have lines they say to each other and there is poacher paraphernalia (including a mammoth carcass) laying around. The bad is that the good ones are few and far between which means a lot of caves and ruins are the exact same tileset without much variation with the same Draugr or bandit enemies. I say this because I get the feeling that what CDPR is trying to do will have much more variety and require more thought/observation/skill to do encounters. Also there will probably be a decent bit of "well poo poo I walked right past here and never saw this path or that moss which means this monster lives here" which will mean you will need to do more searching around/exploring/whatever. I think I have now rambled quite a bit but what I am trying to say is I have a feeling they know what they are doing and I doubt that there will be that much useless huge tracts of land.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mickey McKey posted:

Also there will probably be a decent bit of "well poo poo I walked right past here and never saw this path or that moss which means this monster lives here" which will mean you will need to do more searching around/exploring/whatever.
Hopefully Cat potions will have less annoying effects and also cause stuff like that to pop out.

I never used Cat potions in W2 because they annoyed the hell out of me.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The quality of life mod for Witcher 1 that lets you toggle Cat on/off is great

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lycus posted:

Hopefully Cat potions will have less annoying effects and also cause stuff like that to pop out.

I never used Cat potions in W2 because they annoyed the hell out of me.

I used it for that one bit where you follow the bloodstains to find Cedric. Except it's so frustrating because the whole forest is full of bloodstains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kimmalah posted:

I used it for that one bit where you follow the bloodstains to find Cedric. Except it's so frustrating because the whole forest is full of bloodstains!

I used those in Vergen mines in dark mode, can't see poo poo in there with dark sword effects without cat potion.

• Locked thread