Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Barudak posted:

1) Run it double elimination 1v1 brackets.

Thats it. I mean, I think Melee is kind of dull as dishwater and requires too much banning and changes to be playable but it works.

Ths new smash looks like it's gonna fkin own

Phyresis posted:

I've spent the last six months playing Marvel Heroes so much that I am afraid to check Steam for how many hours exactly I've spent in that Skinner box, it's so bad that I am literally playing Heroclix again because of it. I like tiny superheroes, what can I say. If you miss Diablo II and think that Diablo III was a steaming hot pile of poo poo because it is, please try the Free to Play game entitled Marvel Heroes, easily obtainable on Steam. I would recommend picking Luke Cage as your starter if you like punching things or Storm if you like zapping things. We have a chill goon guild with good officers that runs out the racists and sexists (often to hilarious "drama") if you're into that kinda poo poo welp peace

seriously do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Marvel Heroes is a good game.

Edit: mostly

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Broken Loose posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm sorry. I don't like SoCal either, those guys do things like use the word "rape" a lot and teabag. Even the Skullgirls players. East Coast for life.

I quit after regionals in 2000 and spent the rest of my time there going to the beach and getting laid. No regrets.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thats it. I mean, I think Melee is kind of dull as dishwater and requires too much banning and changes to be playable but it works.

Smash Bros is not a competitive fighter in the traditional sense, and trying to make it one sucks all the fun out of the game.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is human being not hate speech now or are we just waiting on the probation to go through the queue

Whatever, fag.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Esser-Z posted:

Smash Bros is not a competitive fighter in the traditional sense, and trying to make it one sucks all the fun out of the game.

REALLY DUDE? REALLY. OUROBOROS, COME FULL CIRCLE

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I like orks

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Barudak posted:

Superman during Evo was hilarious. "Did I see you maybe start making a non-blocking motion? LASER"

Obviously, Injustice is just a narrative driven game. Superman is the most powerful superhero in the fluff so he will always win, just as NetherRealm intended. If you don't like it you can go play other games, you disgusting powergamer.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

osirisisdead posted:

:hurr:

I'm not the one who is autisticly committed to being competitive about playing with soldier dollies.

You seem very derisive about something you claim to enjoy.

Moola posted:

I like orks

Another entirely correct opinion. I would play nothing but Orks, balance be damned, if I could stomach buying and painting a horde army.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah? It's called adult perspective.

Anyone who takes a tabletop game seriously as an adult (kids get a pass because all kids are stupid) needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

edit: If you don't enjoy painting and modeling for itself, even if you could never play a game with the models that you create, don't play these games.

Moola posted:

I like orks

me too

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 14, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Phyresis posted:

REALLY DUDE? REALLY. OUROBOROS, COME FULL CIRCLE
Each goon does his part for the greater thread.

I would love to paint an Ork force if they weren't, y'know, GW Priced.

Oh wait. Mantic has reasonably priced orks for Deadzone, a good game! Problem solved!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

this is the best this thread has been in a long time

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Von Humboldt posted:

Broken Loose, Phyresis, real talk - What are the big games in your local communities, and is there anything special to how they operate besides "TWO MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES." I used to host gaming events at the university as part of my job, and while there was some interest in tournaments for fighting games, I never had the foggiest of how to operate one. I'm actually pretty curious, because all I ever saw was like four dudes going "All right, let's all put money down, Round Robin, Final Destination only, no Metaknight."

Generally, we have a weekly (or twice weekly) meetup where we just play casual sets and practice against each other, etc.

Different guys hold tournaments (each guy tends to hold one tournament per month, depending) where there's like 8 different games being played at one venue. You pay a small venue fee, then a pot fee to each game you enter. Each game has a double-elimination bracket, bring your own controller, best 2 fights out of 3 (matches, so each 3-round match of Street Fighter counts as 1) with either top 8 being 3/5 or top 4 depending on the size of the bracket. First place gets 60% of the pot, second 30%, third 10%.

Every region has a major tournament about once a year, usually with a higher venue fee and over the course of an entire weekend instead of an evening. Brackets get so huge they consist of multiple mini-tournaments (called "pools") where the winners graduate into the final bracket. Also, at that size they sometimes use progressive poker-style payouts where top 32 gets money, and sometimes companies throw in pot bonuses.

Finally, there's Evolution, which is the largest tournament in the world, every summer in Vegas. Think all the poo poo I described but huge. Almost no tournaments have "qualifiers" (except for very specific special events that happen maybe once a year) and anybody off the street can pony up the entry fee and try to kill their way to the top.

Smash Bros. actually was on a down slope for a while because their community is really insular and 40k-like, but after last year's cancer donation drive they managed to land a spot in Evo and are kind of on the up-and-up. Melee, anyway. Nobody plays Brawl but there's a Brawl mod called "Project M" that everybody seems to love.

A lot of people compete in a bunch of different games since skills tend to transfer, but you get people who main a specific game or simply don't play any others. I run all the Skullgirls Encore tournaments in Florida in addition to being one of the stronger competitors in the state. My other games don't really have scenes nowadays so I stick to the one, mostly.

If you ever want to start playing just find out where your local guys meet up and play with them. People are usually really cool about letting others use their sticks, too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

osirisisdead posted:

Yeah? It's called adult perspective.

Anyone who takes a tabletop game seriously as an adult (kids get a pass because all kids are stupid) needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot.

I shot my dad when he beat me at chess for this very reason

S.J. posted:

wholeheartedly agree

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

S.J. posted:

for real, it is.

And yeah, I 100% agree with whoever it was that said liking 40k in spite of GW sucks. I really want a new main game, but nothing I've found either

1. Has cool enough fluff/models
2. has enough players

Like, WarmaHordes has quite a few players, but I'm not particularly keen on the fluff or models, which is a big deal for me.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

You fuckers couldn't go ten minutes without doing it. You'd rather be snarky about how terrible your hobby is than get me banned. Unbelievable.

EDIT: hahahaha this thread rules now and is getting me excited for unbound games

Phyresis posted:

SKULL OF BONES tournament.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 14, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm hoping skullgirls gets a bigger community since it's free on ps+ now but it's pretty hard to get into

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I like to name my FTL crew after notable shitposters in this thread. I myself generally stick to Engineering. I try to preserve the crew to my fullest capabilities, but if someone's gotta die let's just say that I have a definite priority list for such contingencies. Sometimes I do a goodposter run.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Goddamnit. When will you fuckers learn that Broken Loose is a giant pile of seething poo poo who's entire shtick is to:
- Rage against GW, legitimate or not
- Be all about himself and his own self-righteousness
- Posting about how something probably happened before he came in, describing the exact thing that happened, every time

He's Warseer incarnate and yet every so often some dipshit decides that he needs to be in here and then certain people egg him on. gently caress you Broken Loose, you narcissistic, sanctimonious goon.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Barudak posted:

I actually agree, and I think that if Melee weren't so unique mechanically and didn't have Nintendo characters it would have been dropped years ago (the 40k comparison was more accurate than I realized). Can't wait for Project M to be finished.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Loose posted:

Smash Bros. actually was on a down slope for a while because their community is really insular and 40k-like

This tends to happen when games throw actual fairness between matchups out of the window and fans have to twist and contort themselves to justify why it still makes for a fair and fun game you can play for its own sake (assuming you adhere to a set of rules-external social contracts no new player is going to be aware of, hence why they become insular and sullen around newbies) and not just as an adjunct to an evening with beer and friends and not giving a poo poo.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Boon posted:

Goddamnit. When will you fuckers learn that Broken Loose is a giant pile of seething poo poo who's entire shtick is to:
- Posting about how something probably happened before he came in, describing the exact thing that happened, every time

He's Warseer incarnate and yet every so often some dipshit decides that he needs to be in here and then certain people egg him on. gently caress you Broken Loose, you narcissistic, sanctimonious goon.

Dude, I've been meaning to ask you, why do you think "Centurionstar" or whatever is a thing? Did your Roseknight get stomped out by grav cents or something? I could have sworn you were talking about the combat Centurions, which are just terrible.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

for real, it is.

And yeah, I 100% agree with whoever it was that said liking 40k in spite of GW sucks. I really want a new main game, but nothing I've found either

1. Has cool enough fluff/models
2. has enough players

Like, WarmaHordes has quite a few players, but I'm not particularly keen on the fluff or models, which is a big deal for me.

Then you have to change the way you do it. You have to basically model multiple armies for a game and set things up so that you can play without finding people who have the compulsion to model everything. Historical gamers (De Bellis Multitudinous etc.) do it all the time because not everyone has an obsession with every period in history. One guy might make napoleonics, one guy might make Hittites and Assyrians or whatever the gently caress.

The goal is to create scenarios that you can play instead of some prebuilt army that is meant to take on any given comer.

You can take this to a convention and play either side with randoms or get two randoms into the game and play referee.

Get your head out of your rear end (a.k.a. the tournament, competitive mindset) It's toxic to the hobby as a whole.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boon posted:

Without him, the GW-critical side doesn't have a big name poster who's quite as relentless as serious gaylord and SUPER NEAT TOY.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

See this guy? This guy is one of faces of 40k, the other side of the coin being Stelek. This is a terrible hobby for terrible people.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm hoping skullgirls gets a bigger community since it's free on ps+ now but it's pretty hard to get into

It's really picking up now that Big Band is out and people don't have the "no dudes" excuse anymore. Also the launch version of the game wasn't too hot but Encore is the best game out right now. The tutorial is pretty phenomenal and it's 6-button Marvel 2 so it's not too hard to get into. ECT just happened, UFGT is gonna have it as a main game, I'll be running it at CEO (but it probably won't be streamed), and we're gonna have a huge side tournament at Evo!

Boon posted:

Nah, this time I described something that was going to happen after I came in, and it happened within a page of my predicting it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
warhammer 40k?

more like warhammer 40GAY

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

osirisisdead posted:

Then you have to change the way you do it. You have to basically model multiple armies for a game and set things up so that you can play without finding people who have the compulsion to model everything. Historical gamers (De Bellis Multitudinous etc.) do it all the time because not everyone has an obsession with every period in history. One guy might make napoleonics, one guy might make Hittites and Assyrians or whatever the gently caress.

The goal is to create scenarios that you can play instead of some prebuilt army that is meant to take on any given comer.

You can take this to a convention and play either side with randoms or get two randoms into the game and play referee.

Get your head out of your rear end (a.k.a. the tournament, competitive mindset) It's toxic to the hobby as a whole.

How's raging about other people playing wrong working out for your fave game bud

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

osirisisdead posted:

I'm actually not a competitive player at all, thankfully.

The scenario creation idea isn't bad, actually. So I'd just paint up two armies, and loan one out to my opponent.

Just need to find a game where two armies are cheap enough that I won't have to sell organs.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

osirisisdead posted:

Well, yeah. The game needs fundamental changes to actually work as a game. Thankfully, there are plenty of examples on the market of games that do work and GW could (if so motivated) learn from and adapt.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It works fine if you aren't trying to make it Starcraft on the tabletop or whatever metaphor makes your dick hard.

It takes a completely fundamentally different approach to make it a good game.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

How's raging about other people playing wrong working out for your fave game bud

P good rly especially when the company that makes the game agrees with me and all of my friends that I play with agree with me and we all have a grand ole' time playing with our grimdark soldier dollies and laughing at people who give a gently caress.

You ain't seen my rage, bud.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hell of of a lot of words in this thread that im never going to read

whole lot of words

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

osirisisdead posted:

P good rly especially when the company that makes the game agrees with me and all of my friends that I play with agree with me and we all have a grand ole' time playing with our grimdark soldier dollies and laughing at people who give a gently caress.

Yes, the company also has your toxic attitude to the hobbyists it courts and it's led to them losing money and doing desparate tactics like releasing rules two years early, well done.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

osirisisdead posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

WHATEVER guys i'm not even mad you don't wanna see me MAD

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

osirisisdead posted:

I aint even mad but you two cock suckin homo queers best step up your dice mans games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

osirisisdead posted:

How much money is your spite worth? You say that GW agrees with you, but really they're preying on you and your indiscretion as a consumer. What would it actually take to get you to stop giving GW your money, real talk?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Getting back to my point, the 40k "community" (pile of shitbirds in a big ol pile of poo poo) is self-policing, at least to the level where Unbound armies are not going to be a concern. Yes, the "competitive" (so many sarcastic quotation marks) scene is extremely toxic, containing some of the biggest fuckstains I've ever had to lay eyes on. So are the brainless fluff idiot casual players who don't know poo poo about the game and also tend to reward GW for making bad design decisions (by buying lovely units, etc). Those fuckshits are the ones who get all high-and-mighty about the Proper way to play 40k, clearly competitive players don't give a poo poo about the fluff and just want to beat up little kids at a little kids game, am I right? Am I right, fellow shitheads? Those loving COMPETITIVE GAMERS ARKHLFDHASDcczxxcgawref

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phyresis posted:

Dude, I've been meaning to ask you, why do you think "Centurionstar" or whatever is a thing? Did your Roseknight get stomped out by grav cents or something? I could have sworn you were talking about the combat Centurions, which are just terrible.

Are they not? Maybe they aren't, I don't know. I thought it was. Guy ran a tournament with roughly the following:

Tigerius (spelling?)
Coteaz
Chapter Master on Bike w/ Shield Eternal
Librarian
x4 Devastator Centurions
x3 Land Raider w/ minimal squads of Acolytes
x3 Scout squads

Maybe some more poo poo, don't know. It was a legal list and rampaged in a pretty competitive tournament (a lot of the players in it go to Adepticon and NOVA every year).

Tigerius, Coteaz, the Librarian, and the Chapter Master would go in with the Dev Cents who had Grav-Cannons and Grav-Amps. Prescience every turn allowed them to re-roll their hits, the Grav-Amps allowed them to re-roll their wounds. He would cast the 4+ Invuln on himself and then Gate of Infinity around the board, tanking wounds on whoever was best - since it was so character laden he could place them pretty effectively and then Look Out Sir where required. I think he also was able to re-roll saves but I don't recall the reasons or if that actually happened. At some point I just said gently caress it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

S.J. posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

WHATEVER guys i'm not even mad you don't wanna see me MAD

It's so ridiculous seeing somebody go from "I don't give a gently caress look how few fucks I give!!!" to being clearly livid in just a few words.

• Locked thread