Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

put "sub drop" as the reason for a half day sickie.

This is genius.

EDIT: Content!

I got cleared to start running again. After 6 months of not being able to, it felt REALLY good to get started again. I had to start C25k from the beginning again. All you other fat sedentary goons should try it.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nitrogen posted:

"I am currently covered by an NDR that severely limits the details of my current job that I can share."

No, I don't lie, I tell them it's confidential. When they tell me that it's not illegal to disclose I say something like, "Oh, I know, what I mean is that I keep my current and past salaries confidential and will continue to do so." You know, implying that it's out of respect for the company and not because it's loving irrelevant.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Che Delilas posted:

No, I don't lie, I tell them it's confidential. When they tell me that it's not illegal to disclose I say something like, "Oh, I know, what I mean is that I keep my current and past salaries confidential and will continue to do so." You know, implying that it's out of respect for the company and not because it's loving irrelevant.

This isn't a lie. It's a misdirection. I am currently under a rather restrictive NDA depending on which type of project I am (mostly for the fedgov stuff), but I never state that I cannot share my salary. I just let people assume.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Haha, didn't notice that. Well played, though I can't use that since I'm not actually under any kind of non disclosure at the moment.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sfwarlock posted:

Dom drop is also totally a thing. *ahem*

I did not know this and now i'm curious to why I didn't.

As for today, what's pissing me off is that i'm not really allowed to search through a clients database for data, despite the entire command needed to do so only being "select * from "table"". That annoys me, because if that's literally the only command I need, I might as well do it and stop raising poo poo to third line, which i'm currently told to do.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Does anybody else just straight up lie about their salary to recruiters? If you are going to ask me how much I make, I am going to tell you what I want to make + 5 - 10% more.

How could recruiters honestly think they would be getting a real salary from anybody they ask that question of?

I always ask for about 10% over what I really want. Gives me some haggle room.

EDIT: how am I not shocked that a bunch of you are familiar with BDSM terms, considering we all get whipped for pay every day.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Hmmmm. It seems Meraki switches do not accept non Cisco/Meraki branded SFPs. Thanks guys!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Idiot coworker trying to throw people under the bus.

:ohdear:: "2nd level couldnt finish the job. They just gave this user a new database. How do I recover his files?"

:): "Did he archive them?"

:ohdear:: "no"

:): "Then you can't, there is nothing left to recover."

:ohdear:: "Oh, I've never done this before."

:): "Then how did you know someone didn't do their job?"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
loving bureaucracy

Last night, while getting ready to upgrade one of our locations to Windows 7, I noticed some issues with that location's server. I asked if I could reboot it before the desktops started pulling SCCM packages from it, and was told I needed to coordinate that with system engineering. I sent them an e-mail, and they didn't reply until this morning. One guy agrees that it should be rebooted, but another guy says it needs to be done after hours.

Also, since there's employees at that location now, and they need that server on to work. But that server is also the print server, and they can't print right now. Not printing is actually a big deal. I want to remote into their machines and install the printers locally, but can't remote in. So, what I want to do is go to that location as soon as possible to see what I can do.

But I can't do that, because this rear end in a top hat coworker wanted me to help him out with his ~40 work orders~ and if I leave before completing his work orders he's going break down in tears. There's another tech near this location who's fumbling his way through powercycling a managed switch at a separate location, and rear end in a top hat wants to see if that guy can help out at my branch when he's done.

I've been ready to leave for over half an hour, but we're still waiting on who loving knows. I'm not even doing a goddamn thing right now, because rear end in a top hat isn't at his desk. This poo poo pisses me off.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

loving bureaucracy

Last night, while getting ready to upgrade one of our locations to Windows 7, I noticed some issues with that location's server. I asked if I could reboot it before the desktops started pulling SCCM packages from it, and was told I needed to coordinate that with system engineering. I sent them an e-mail, and they didn't reply until this morning. One guy agrees that it should be rebooted, but another guy says it needs to be done after hours.

Also, since there's employees at that location now, and they need that server on to work. But that server is also the print server, and they can't print right now. Not printing is actually a big deal. I want to remote into their machines and install the printers locally, but can't remote in. So, what I want to do is go to that location as soon as possible to see what I can do.

But I can't do that, because this rear end in a top hat coworker wanted me to help him out with his ~40 work orders~ and if I leave before completing his work orders he's going break down in tears. There's another tech near this location who's fumbling his way through powercycling a managed switch at a separate location, and rear end in a top hat wants to see if that guy can help out at my branch when he's done.

I've been ready to leave for over half an hour, but we're still waiting on who loving knows. I'm not even doing a goddamn thing right now, because rear end in a top hat isn't at his desk. This poo poo pisses me off.

This is one of those rare instances where managers are actually useful, assuming you've got one that knows rear end from elbows. I would ask how these should be prioritized since it sure sounds like the server issue is a bigger deal than whatever you feel compelled to help this other putz with.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

This is one of those rare instances where managers are actually useful, assuming you've got one that knows rear end from elbows. I would ask how these should be prioritized since it sure sounds like the server issue is a bigger deal than whatever you feel compelled to help this other putz with.
If I ever find that person, I'll let them know.

Right now, seven of crybaby's work orders are completed. Four of them are headsets, two are trivial installs (one e-mail archive product, one Chrome), and the seventh is a javascript issue that is most likely caused by IE8. This is poo poo he could be doing when he's stuck here after hours waiting for laptops to image or encrypt, instead of playing Diablo 3.

Bonus: He's also closing these requests himself instead of assigning them to me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

Bonus: He's also closing these requests himself instead of assigning them to me.

Why are you helping him boost his metrics?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Pissing me off today: SQL Server 2012 install!

What kind of error is this, you cryptic bastard? :argh:

Edit: Also, Sharepoint Server. We're throwing 4 cores and 8gb of ram at the VM and it's still capping out everything and asking for more. All this server does is host ONE MS Project site that's shared between three people.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 14, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Helushune posted:

Edit: Also, Sharepoint Server. We're throwing 4 cores and 8gb of ram at the VM and it's still capping out everything and asking for more. All this server does is host ONE MS Project site that's shared between three people.

I knew sharepoint was hated, but never knew it was that bad of a resource hog.

Is it really chewing up all 4 cores?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

This is where you stop helping him. No, don't post in this thread with excuses as to why you feel obligated or that it'll just be easier or whatever. You're already getting no credit, which means if the stuff you are ACTUALLY responsible for doesn't get done, your rear end will (rightfully) be on the line.

Don't dig.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off everyday: Our corp. office is stuck on a 5/1 ADSL line with no alternatives available. 12 people using it, with 5 of those trying to actively upload data to various locations. Upload stays pegged most of the day. All of our infrastructure is spread out over multiple branch locations, so this makes remote management "fun".

The only ISP in town (same one providing our ADSL) does provide FTTP, but not down our particular street. Despite the fiber line being only about 800 feet away, they want several thousand dollars to connect us, and $600+ per month for service because its a "special build-out".

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Friend a nearby business, offer to pay 60% of their bill and use an airMAX device back to your office.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrMoo posted:

Friend a nearby business, offer to pay 60% of their bill and use an airMAX device back to your office.

Is this actually viable? I'd think that there'd be an actual business model around helping companies bully their ISP into doing their jobs.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Moey posted:

It seems happier now that we've disabled caching in Hyper-V but it was maxing out everything that we threw at it. My last experience with Sharepoint server was on Server 2003 R2 and it was bad but not nearly this bad.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is this actually viable? I'd think that there'd be an actual business model around helping companies bully their ISP into doing their jobs.

The ISP may prohibit connection sharing in their TOS, but how would they know? I say go for it if there's someone within line-of-sight of your office who can get that sweet, sweet fiber, and wouldn't mind letting you mount a wireless bridge on their roof.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

Helushune posted:

I setup a 'Test' instance of Project 2013 server which runs over Sharepoint for 5 manager folks to try out and see if it would work for them.

Sharepoint wasn't happy until it had 16GB of RAM and I'm not sure if it ever really worked 'right'. I talked them into paying for Project Online, let Microsoft manage that poo poo.

edit: I could be wrong but I think the caching is super aggressive in 2013, so if you give it X amount of RAM it will try to use it all to make the experience faster.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 14, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Helushune posted:

We're throwing 4 cores and 8gb of ram at the VM

You said in your other post that this is on Hyper-V, so maybe it's different, but in vsphere using more cores than necessary, particularly on a host with high activity, can actually degrade performance rather than improve. Basically it will give you however many cores you want, but only when there's availability on that many physical cores at the same time. The more cores you add, the worse it gets. So as counter intuitive as it may seem, try lowering the CPU allocation and see what happens.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thought Sharepoint was slow. It pales in comparison to Service Manager. My god, you load an IR that has a huge sequential activity workflow included in it and it slows to a crawl.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

I talked them into paying for Project Online, let Microsoft manage that poo poo.

edit: I could be wrong but I think the caching is super aggressive in 2013, so if you give it X amount of RAM it will try to use it all to make the experience faster.

I wish I still had the thread but I ran in to one mentioning if you were going to run it with "only" 12gb of ram to throw at it, you need to disable caching in Hyper-V to make it happy. I haven't done any digging in to it but right now I know if I enable caching it eats all the resources and becomes slow; if it's disabled, those things don't happen. I think you made the right decision making MS deal with it.

stubblyhead posted:

You said in your other post that this is on Hyper-V, so maybe it's different, but in vsphere using more cores than necessary, particularly on a host with high activity, can actually degrade performance rather than improve. Basically it will give you however many cores you want, but only when there's availability on that many physical cores at the same time. The more cores you add, the worse it gets. So as counter intuitive as it may seem, try lowering the CPU allocation and see what happens.

We started it out at 1gb of ram and 1 core (standard for our VMs) and gradually worked our way up to where it is now. Anything fewer than four cores and it would keep them all pegged at 100% for an indefinite amount of time before we shut it off. Even right now, it's using about 20% CPU and causing a ton of disk activity. Thankfully, the only other VM that the host runs is WDS which barely uses any resources.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mildly amusing me today - trying to port JS script written for jquery version 1.11 to jquery 1.3. The version from 5 years ago.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Helushune posted:

When you figure this out, I wouldn't mind hearing what caused it. I haven't yet worked with SQL 2012 but I've had SQL 2008 installs crap out on me like that with a really cryptic error message. Turns out the problem was installing another application beforehand that installed SQL Server Native Client as part of the package. For all the pre-install checks it does, SQL 2008 wouldn't catch this and would refuse to install until I removed the native client first.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I thought Sharepoint was slow. It pales in comparison to Service Manager. My god, you load an IR that has a huge sequential activity workflow included in it and it slows to a crawl.

Welcome to hell. Slow, stupid stupid bugs and a horrible UI.

We're on SM 9.0 and the "history" section of incidents, changes, problems, what have you is a textbox 3 lines high with a scrollbar. Because gently caress you I guess.
It's a loving web UI, there is zero reason to not expand that poo poo dynamically to fit all the text. The section itself is even collapsible if you for some wierd reason don't want to read the history of that thing you just got assigned.

"Conserving screen real estate" by making important information hard to find on a drat scrolling web page. Assholes. :argh:

And the stupid bug part. If you have your work list configured to show "My groups issues, order by asignee" like a sane person, and resolve an incindent or close a problem or task, you're redirected back to the work list. It also removes the row representing the thing you just closed. So far so good, but it doesn't update the array behind the UI, so the bottom thing in your list is now actually not assigned to you, it's the top issue assigned to the person below you. And the only way to find out is to open it and check the assignee field.

No budget left for "customization" from the highly paid HP consultants of course. So everybody just hits F2 to open the history in a separate text only window, and reflexively hit refresh every time they find themselves back at the work list.

So yeah, there are workarounds, but the mistakes are annoying, basic, amateurish and so easy to fix.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Helushune posted:

It seems happier now that we've disabled caching in Hyper-V but it was maxing out everything that we threw at it. My last experience with Sharepoint server was on Server 2003 R2 and it was bad but not nearly this bad.

I run an enterprise level SharePoint service, all our SQL servers are physical boxes. All the rest of the servers can be VMs but we have never had good results with SharePoint SQL servers on VM.

Building out our SP2013 farm right now we're loading it up our cluster with 768 GB RAM, 20 Core 2.20 GHz E5-2680v2 (per node).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

stubblyhead posted:

I got caught out by this, since VCP training is quite explicit about the overhead for multiple CPUs slowing down the VM if it's not actually doing parallel processing. Hyper-V does not seem to follow this model at all, and the first VMs I set up on it I gave it one vCPU expecting it to grab as much processing power as it needed, like VMware - apparently this is not the case. I haven't read the documentation on it, so I don't know exactly how it works and perhaps someone can chime in here, but it certainly seems to be that the more vCPUs you assign the more actual processing power is assigned, contrary to VMware's setup.

Which is just more confusing, frankly, since if you're a VMware guy it's what you ORIGINALLY thought was intuitive and correct but then learned wasn't, but with Hyper-V it is, and Microsoft if you're trying to get people to switch, make it work the same way so they don't have a learning curve for fucks sake you're not the 800-pound gorilla in that space yet whatever happened to the embrace part of your mantra.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Potato Alley posted:

Microsoft if you're trying to get people to switch, make it work the same way so they don't have a learning curve for fucks sake you're not the 800-pound gorilla in that space yet whatever happened to the embrace part of your mantra.

Microsoft embracing the standards of anyone, including themselves :laffo:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Kronos was upgraded today, it uses java 7u51! Which is nearly current!

But doesn't work in IE6

poo poo pissing me off: the PCs we have that are still running Windows 2000 :negative:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Against the Goon Collective's better judgement I went ahead and spoke with the Robert Half minion. Strike One - he was ten minutes late to the Skype meeting he set up. Apparently there was an overturned car on the way to work and caused a minor traffic jam. Spoke with him about a position he has and apparently the incumbent left after 5 months and 1 week on a 6 months contract-to-hire to follow his wife to Alabama for her job. He's looking to fill the spot to fulfill the remaining 3 weeks of the contract, at which point he expects the company to extend an employment offer. Incumbent was making $52k. Okay, nothing too hinky so far - asked him to send me the job description, responsibilities, etc via email. Recruiter also wanted me to speak with the contract manager who was also more knowledgeable about the technical side of things, since anything beyond basic helldesk was beyond his CIS knowledge. Again, he suggests a time.

I go downstairs to our breakroom and wait 20 minutes for the contract manager to call at the appointed time. Nothing. Not even a courtesy email to tell me he wouldn't be able to make the call. That's strike two in my book. Strike three is failing to even send me the loving email like he promised he would. I checked the Spam folder on my email server and even looked at the spam blocker settings to make sure he wasn't blacklisted. Nope, not that lucky.

Fortunately all was not a waste. Former co-worker walked through and we had a couple minutes to talk. Apparently he was putting in his two weeks notice in at the job he started a couple weeks ago, which was only a couple month contract to cover for someone out on medical leave for cancer treatments who may or may not come back. Co-worker suggested I talk to our hiring manager and let him know I was interested and co-worker would put in a good word for me. New job would be a raise from $32k to $72k. Not bad, but what was even better news was former co-worker was taking a supervisor position overseeing the server team for a major government agency down in Cincinnati, and once he got settled and could make hiring decisions he'd love to have me come on board with him. Not everything I wanted to hear, but at least some good came out of it.

And as for the Robert Half recruiter, suddenly I'm too busy to be able to take his calls or get back with him. It's almost as if I was ignoring him...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hi, old friends.

I'm looking for some help for something that is probably going to piss me off: need some advice on CMS solution. Stipulations are that it isn't a hosted solution (i.e. - doing it through wordpress.com or something) and it isn't the worst thing in the planet. Need to host some static content and make API calls to motorsportreg.com for registrations and whatnot. Any help is appreciated.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Sharepoint wasn't happy until it had 16GB of RAM and I'm not sure if it ever really worked 'right'. I talked them into paying for Project Online, let Microsoft manage that poo poo.

Sharepoint 2013 uses AppFabric for caching stuff like social activity feeds, and it will grab any memory it can get it's hands on. Also, the whole content processing pipeline for search can be configured to run continously to keep cache results fresh, and it too is a resource hog.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Against the Goon Collective's better judgement I went ahead and spoke with the Robert Half minion. Strike One - he was ten minutes late to the Skype meeting he set up. Apparently there was an overturned car on the way to work and caused a minor traffic jam. Spoke with him about a position he has and apparently the incumbent left after 5 months and 1 week on a 6 months contract-to-hire to follow his wife to Alabama for her job. He's looking to fill the spot to fulfill the remaining 3 weeks of the contract, at which point he expects the company to extend an employment offer. Incumbent was making $52k. Okay, nothing too hinky so far - asked him to send me the job description, responsibilities, etc via email. Recruiter also wanted me to speak with the contract manager who was also more knowledgeable about the technical side of things, since anything beyond basic helldesk was beyond his CIS knowledge. Again, he suggests a time.

I go downstairs to our breakroom and wait 20 minutes for the contract manager to call at the appointed time. Nothing. Not even a courtesy email to tell me he wouldn't be able to make the call. That's strike two in my book. Strike three is failing to even send me the loving email like he promised he would. I checked the Spam folder on my email server and even looked at the spam blocker settings to make sure he wasn't blacklisted. Nope, not that lucky.

Fortunately all was not a waste. Former co-worker walked through and we had a couple minutes to talk. Apparently he was putting in his two weeks notice in at the job he started a couple weeks ago, which was only a couple month contract to cover for someone out on medical leave for cancer treatments who may or may not come back. Co-worker suggested I talk to our hiring manager and let him know I was interested and co-worker would put in a good word for me. New job would be a raise from $32k to $72k. Not bad, but what was even better news was former co-worker was taking a supervisor position overseeing the server team for a major government agency down in Cincinnati, and once he got settled and could make hiring decisions he'd love to have me come on board with him. Not everything I wanted to hear, but at least some good came out of it.

And as for the Robert Half recruiter, suddenly I'm too busy to be able to take his calls or get back with him. It's almost as if I was ignoring him...

Great outcome!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Dom drop is also totally a thing. *ahem*

More people need to realise this. :(

Can't we just call it an endorphine comedown or something?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Outlook Auto-Reply (Out of Office) posted:

"I will not be in today, as I am experiencing the world for what it is, and that depresses me greatly when I compare it to the raging torrent of orgasm induced endorphines I experienced on Tuesday after work. I will again be in office on Monday, May 19. Please forward any emergencies to my coworker Guy LeDouche."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evobatman posted:

drat, I thought it was because Lum is also a DJ, and it was a dubstep thing.

I was feeling quite sprightly for thinking that it was a dubstep thing (without actually knowing what it meant).

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
minor gripe for the AM crew; I'm pissed about being on-call and either folks not understanding the part of the voicemail that says "if this is an emergency or production related issue, please call the on-call staff at 123-456-7890". And they call me at just the right time so that I won't be able to go back to bed before work. Essentially I'm losing at least 1 hour or more of sleep because some jackass needs a third shift supervisor's email set up.

gently caress you and gently caress your supervisor. send an email to the help desk and let them sort it out in during normal business hours.

edit: i found an activity to fill my time - make some decent breakfast for once. Whiskey, bacon, and biscuits.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
It has come! After an eon of searching, our people can finally find peace.

Clean up the WinSXS directory on Server2008R2:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...new-update.aspx

(does the linked script not work for anyone else, despite definitely having the update installed?) :suicide: