Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
As long as it is completely loving nuts and not impossible to play, I will be content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jonjonaug posted:

People are getting code e-mails for the DLC but not the game itself, yes.

Check your spam folder, mine ended up there before I moved it.
Yeah, I got nothing. Maybe it'll come in a few days.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got the code.

I just need to enter it.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Postal Parcel posted:

Is this story wise or gameplay wise?
This is a VERY important distinction to make.

Story-wise, the first Drakengard is like a bad fantasy novel where the writer throws in all sorts of hideous, edgy nonsense to cover up a standard plotline. The second one is YA fiction, sanitized and moralizing and not nearly as unpleasant. Nier is a legitimately good read.

Drakengard 3 is a parody of everything before it. You almost don't need a Let's Play of it, because the commentary and meta-jokes are already mixed into the game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The first Drakengard was great because things just got more convolutedly worse until death babies fell from the sky.

This, I dunno. It's not bad but if it wasn't called Drakengard I would've given it a pass.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Just got an email saying the game has shipped.

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 14, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The game is now preorder able on psn. About 15 gigs.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
My order hasn't been shipped yet I think? They haven't taken the money off my card yet if anything, and I only got two emails. One tells me the product is available now and one giving me my key code.

quote:

Your key code is now available for Pre-order DLC Pack Wave 1: Japanese VO + 2 Bonus Items.

Just keep waiting I guess?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
What I find facinating about Drakengard 1, is just how typical it starts, and offering no hint of the later :wtf: stuff. And then everything goes to hell.

The characters were interesting in how atypical they were - the heroic lead was a psychopathic butcher, "the wise old man" figure was a semi-senile, speciesist, manipulative old gently caress, and the young child is a self-absorbed little poo poo with a slight messianic complex. And the game went out of its way to say "Look at these people, they are awful human beings".

Drakengard 3 seems lighter in that regard. It's still there, but more balanced by the meta-humour.

[e]: It's been a while since I've been through the LP; all I can personally remember was that he expresses it in the endings. I couldn't recall if it was through the whole game or not.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Slight? Seere had a huge rear end Messiah Complex, he's one of the major reasons it gets as bad as it does because he selfishly wanted to be the hero so bad.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Complaining about Drakengard 1 being a standard cliche high fantasy underneath is pretty silly. If the writing actually cared about the genre trappings then maybe, but it's all pretty much just framework for the insanity at the end of the game.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Pesky Splinter posted:

What I find facinating about Drakengard 1, is just how typical it starts, and offering no hint of the later :wtf: stuff. And then everything goes to hell.

The characters were interesting in how atypical they were - the heroic lead was a psychopathic butcher, "the wise old man" figure was a semi-senile, speciesist, manipulative old gently caress, and the young child is a self-absorbed little poo poo with a slight messianic complex. And the game went out of its way to say "Look at these people, they are awful human beings".

Yeah, each character is a dark and ugly reversal of a fantasy cliche, but the game doesn't explore the idea beyond heaping misfortune on people who are impossible to care about. In that way, it's sorta like Joe Abercrombie's fiction.

I do like the implicit argument that if the typical low-fantasy hero really did carve bloodily through hundreds of enemies (ala Guts from Berserk), he wouldn't be a hero; he'd be a monster. But that point is made pretty early on, and there's not much more to it.

Drakengard 3 puts forth the same argument, and I don't know yet know if it does more with it.

Edit: I'm interested in seeing just how fans of the first game like the third one. A lot of the original's fans in Japan seemed to hate Drakengard 3.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 14, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, the game subverts the character archetypes, but it doesn't really do much with them. Drakengard's fun, but I don't really think it holds well as a story at all.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

Edit: I'm interested in seeing just how fans of the first game like the third one. A lot of the original's fans in Japanese seemed to hate Drakengard 3.

:shrug:

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's without mentioning Arioch!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not trust Drakengard 1 fans to enjoy an actual good game, because they are already broken people. (If this is actually good)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I do not trust Drakengard 1 fans to enjoy an actual good game, because they are already broken people. (If this is actually good)

I would rather play just about any given sky stage from D1 than, I dunno, basically any part of D3. Please diagnose how broken I am.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We are all broken for being excited for a new Drakengard, really.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I'm excited for it purely because I want to see another LP of this weird acid trip of a series.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Dammit, this thread sure isn't making me feel very confident about all this money I'm dropping on the Collector's Edition.

:colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vermain posted:

I'm excited for it purely because I want to see another LP of this weird acid trip of a series.
Same. The only game in the series I've actually played is Nier, and Nier is the only game that I say is genuinely great. Drakengard 1 isn't a good game at all gameplay-wise, its the sheer batshit insanity that makes it memorable.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 14, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Yeah. :negative:

As for the good/bad of the game, I guess it depends what you're expecting, and if talking about the narrative/characters, or the gameplay itself.

Gameplay wise, it couldn't be any worse than Drakengard 1. The negatives I've heard about the gameplay is mostly performance based; it takes an eternity to load (with the level zones being too freqently divded by door-opening cutscenes, trying to mask the loading), and drops frames like a bitch.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly I'm planning on 3 being my first drakengard experience outside of dark id's lp.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought Drakengard 1 after reading that LP because it looked awful and after playing the tutorial stage I put it down and never touched it again. That game is too much even for someone like me who plays bad games for fun.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Years later, I still go back to the original 2 games for their gameplay. Get on my level scrubs. :colbert:

its me i am the broken one :negative:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I bought Drakengard 1 after reading that LP because it looked awful and after playing the tutorial stage I put it down and never touched it again. That game is too much even for someone like me who plays bad games for fun.

Drakengard 1 is just pure tedium. Drakengard 2 is more tolerable in the actual "gameplay" department, and its apparent that there was a conscious effort to vary it more, and not make it completely terrible. It's satisfactory - not good, not bad, just acceptable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished Drakengard 1 with all the endings before LP's were even a thing. I recently beat 2 just because I hadn't before. I am the broken one. :negative:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really want to buy this game without awaiting a single in-depth review and the youtube videos look interesting enough...

...but yeah, I'ma wait to see more folks' opinions on this. I loved Nier and enjoyed reading the Drakengard LP right around when I played Nier but the two videos I've watched and the general hush around the game haven't sold me on it just yet.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In Drakengard 1 I really liked how you could get all the different endings at a pretty fast pace once you beat the game. Just go back to labeled branching points and do the different thing. Drakengard 2 straight up made you replay through the entire game for each ending or something didn't it? Is 3 more like the first in terms of accessing endings? This probably affects whether I buy it or not.

Also Manah was a lot cooler as an insane little girl compared to whatever the gently caress she was supposed to be in 2.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Memnaelar posted:

I really want to buy this game without awaiting a single in-depth review and the youtube videos look interesting enough...

...but yeah, I'ma wait to see more folks' opinions on this. I loved Nier and enjoyed reading the Drakengard LP right around when I played Nier but the two videos I've watched and the general hush around the game haven't sold me on it just yet.

I only have anecdotal info so far, but one of my co-workers has a wife that absolutely adored Nier, and she hated the Japanese Drakengard 3. I'm not expecting a good game from this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LibbyM posted:

In Drakengard 1 I really liked how you could get all the different endings at a pretty fast pace once you beat the game. Just go back to labeled branching points and do the different thing. Drakengard 2 straight up made you replay through the entire game for each ending or something didn't it? Is 3 more like the first in terms of accessing endings? This probably affects whether I buy it or not.
It's more like 1.

Brackhar posted:

I only have anecdotal info so far, but one of my co-workers has a wife that absolutely adored Nier, and she hated the Japanese Drakengard 3. I'm not expecting a good game from this.
Drakengard and Nier may be in the same series, but they are really different beasts with very different reasons of why they are good. I can totally see someone enjoying Nier but not liking Drakengard's grimdark insanity. The characters being really likable and sympathetic in Nier while everyone in Drakengard are all horrible people for example.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 14, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I pre-ordered the collector's edition knowing that the gameplay was probably going to blow. Cavia wasn't revived for the project, so they went with the group responsible for Deadly Premonition. That was a huge warning sign to me, but I just don't care. Drakengard has entertained me as a franchise, and as it is not Final Fantasy I want it to succeed. I am willing to put up with lackluster gameplay if it means more, better products down the line.

I'm also fully prepared for this game not to move me like Nier did, but then again how many games have actually done that in the first place? Oh well.:unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

This is generally what I'm expecting. Everyone who comments on it does a "well, it's... you know, it's..." kind of stuff which usually disguises genuine dislike.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So my original expectations were not unfounded, that's very disappointing although not surprising.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get why anyone would be disappointed unless they thought it was gonna be Nier 2 or something dumb like that. I've not played it but gameplay wise it looks as good as Nier and story-wise it's in the same vein of insanity as Drakengard, tho not quite as good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All I want is for the gameplay to be slightly less poo poo than Drakengard 1 and the story to be almost as insane.

Drakengard 3 already gave us it'S soundtrack, so it's at least got that going.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My problem is if the gameplay is not better than Drakengard 2's gameplay, I'm asking for something that can be conceived as somewhat enjoyable and it seems like it's close to Drakengard 1 in that respect.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm expecting it to be mediocre but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm tired of the AAA games gimmie a C tier game.

Eventually. I preordered this mess back in October and I don't have any emails about codes or shipping or anything :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually just got an e-mail telling me it's shipping and I already got my DLC code a few days ago. So yeah, keep checking your email it seems they're sort of sending things as they come and go.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I got my code for pre-ordering, but still no notice about the game shipping yet. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

W.T. Fits posted:

I got my code for pre-ordering, but still no notice about the game shipping yet. :ohdear:

Same. I hope it just means they,re sending them in sequence.

• Locked thread