Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

poptart_fairy posted:

Am I right in thinking that Ability Points are given back when you take the ability off your toolbar, and can be reassigned at will? I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.
Yes, in fact you can simply click the leftmost section on the points bar to take them off without taking the ability off. It's intended for you to be able to mix and match abilities and ability points as often as you want. The AMPs are the semi-permanent bit (though the cost to reset the AMP points starts out pretty inexpensive, at least).

I'm getting a little aggravated with the Esper, what am I doing wrong? I don't have armor, but nearly all the good assault skills want me to be right in poo poo's face and take a pounding. I do the telegraph-dance but when a level 9 Prime chomps my level 12 lightly armored hamster for 110% of its health that seems ineffective.

Actually the Primes are kind of a beef for me in general. They're usually scattered among regular mobs, look barely different (some have a red glow, but some quite beatable mobs also seem to have the red glow? I don't get it) and they just drop the beatdown vastly out of proportion to everything else in the area. I can mop up the Superiors and Challengers in my questing area with no trouble on either my Engineer or the Esper but a random Prime wandering by will just push my poo poo in every time. It's getting to the point I want an addon that just puts up giant sirens flashing :siren:WARNING IT'S A PRIME:siren: so I get the gently caress out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CrashCat posted:

More original names from creative people!

More expert web engineers!

More amazing comebacks!

More whatever this is!

(Also, reports are coming in that people who were "locked down" still didn't get their names and their friends have been able to input the same names without getting an error.)

I'm used to some absolutely lovely MMO communities, but the collective meltdowns over loving character names takes the cake.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Awesome, I was a bit worried I'd have to gimp my solo ability just to heal in parties (I couldn't find a way to respec the Ability Points so wasn't sure it was intended...). That's reassuring.

Just click on the tiers and it respecs points as you need. i.e. if you want to take something from t4 to t0 (base) you just click the yellow button of the skill that says Base. If you're remapping the entire LAS, I suggest just right-clicking each ability on your bar with the Builder up.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
How do 4 saved builds work do those save amp builds too or do we gotta respec amps to switch between healers/dps?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Draynar posted:

How do 4 saved builds work do those save amp builds too or do we gotta respec amps to switch between healers/dps?

Saves AMPs. You get 4 AMP sets, so ideally you shouldn't ever even need to respec unless some major changes occur.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I'm definitely set on having Engineer for my main, and Medic for my alt.

That will let me experience all 3 roles I might need to fill in the future.
Now, I just gotta decide on which paths to choose since they all have something I really want.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kresher posted:

Now, I just gotta decide on which paths to choose since they all have something I really want.
You could get Settler on the main and then use the mailbox power to funnel stuff to your alt parked in the capitol by the auction house. It's what I'm planning to do, even though Settler is kind of boring to me, because I'm usually addicted to auctioning.

Then again, the mailboxes might be common enough that you don't need to do that. I haven't really run out of space as a lowbie so far, there's always been at least a vendor around in all the little mini camps. Though some of those were put out there by Settlers also.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

TriggerHappy posted:

Once the name is used it opens back up.

Has this been confirmed anywhere? All I've ever seen on the topic is speculation.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Kresher posted:

I was up in the air between the 2 and am making the same decision as you on this one. I wanted to like one of the melee classes, but engineer feels so right. Now to decide between a robot or a little furball...

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I asked this yesterday, but I think it got lost in the deluge of forum meltdowns about character names. After having played the game for a bit now, how would you guys breakdown the gameplay style of the different classes? Which ones have you guys found to be generally fun/boring? I know in early beta people were pretty down on how Espers and Warriors played while being quite positive on Stalkers; is that still the case?

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
The ZenItemPreview addon should be in the OP: https://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220394-zenitempreview

Preview multiple item with no restrictions, also housing items.

--

Quick note on Runes, the PvP runes (Offense and Defense) are surprisingly powerful, +150 per each rune. They're a real good alternative to the crappy attribute runes we're stuck with atm.

Mount Desert fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 14, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brackhar posted:

So I asked this yesterday, but I think it got lost in the deluge of forum meltdowns about character names. After having played the game for a bit now, how would you guys breakdown the gameplay style of the different classes? Which ones have you guys found to be generally fun/boring? I know in early beta people were pretty down on how Espers and Warriors played while being quite positive on Stalkers; is that still the case?

I haven't played Stalkers, but it seems like every class has a pretty good niche. Espers people are down on because they don't get a mobile resource generator until 11 and so they feel really immobile and slow to start. Warrior is fun, lots of good up close options and skills to get you there. Spellslingers are supposedly the weakest right now, but I didn't really feel that way. They've got some good DPS and CC options and felt the most fun for me to play.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Interview with the lead raid designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDGAupgSVQ

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

biznatchio posted:

Has this been confirmed anywhere? All I've ever seen on the topic is speculation.
The offical FAQs sure aren't any help, even the ones on the support site. I don't think anyone knows anything, and nobody is stepping up to clear things up.

Mount Desert posted:

The ZenItemPreview addon should be in the OP: https://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220394-zenitempreview

Preview multiple item with no restrictions, also housing items.
Another great one, though still no way to preview from the quest reward picker. Damnit Carbine, all I want is to know which useless piece of gear will make me the prettiest princess hamster.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
I hopped on the name reserve site some eight hours after it was open and got my name of choice, Nekane, first try.

Feels pretty good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Potsticker posted:

I haven't played Stalkers, but it seems like every class has a pretty good niche. Espers people are down on because they don't get a mobile resource generator until 11 and so they feel really immobile and slow to start. Warrior is fun, lots of good up close options and skills to get you there. Spellslingers are supposedly the weakest right now, but I didn't really feel that way. They've got some good DPS and CC options and felt the most fun for me to play.

Yeah, I don't feel Spellslinger is the weakest at all. It's not as mobile now as it was once advertised but they're the only class with a near 90% up time on their 'R' skill.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I don't feel Spellslinger is the weakest at all. It's not as mobile now as it was once advertised but they're the only class with a near 90% up time on their 'R' skill.

Yeah, I was just parroting what I've heard said about the class. Spellslinger is super fun for me and I don't particularly feel weaker than when I played Warrior or Engineer or whatever. Medic and Stalker I haven't tried, but apparently Medic DPS is supposedly pretty good.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Don't bother playing right now, I just hit unplayable lag spikes so it looks like the servers might melt soon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Here was the last of their updates on the name mess as far as I can find on the tracker. They're being quiet today I guess since they haven't decided how they want to clean up this mess.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45589-name-reservation-updates/?p=448924

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dreadwroth posted:

Don't bother playing right now, I just hit unplayable lag spikes so it looks like the servers might melt soon.

Yeah I can't login either. Probably gonna be a server restart.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
Well, Spellslinger was pretty godly before the Wild Barrage bug was fixed. I could definitely see people's expectations of SS damage output being a bit different.

While I'm consistently out dps-ed by Stalkers, there really isn't a better class to solo with between the heals, slows, constant mobility, and large telegraph, steady damage.

Just got a realm message:

"Our NA servers are...sick. They just dropped half our population. Our alarms started blowing up. We are looking into it."

Mount Desert fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 14, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't know where they are getting this at all. I loving shred everything with my SS. So far the only times I've died is when I've accidentally hosed with something well over my head (See glowing red death robots) or I accidentally bamf off the side of a cliff (Twice now :smith:).

The issue people are having is SS isn't super bursty while many of the others are, but I'm willing to bet on a parse it all evens out.

Uncle Phil
Nov 1, 2010
Any word on the Bad Rats website/forumns/sign ups?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

From what I've heard the "Spellslingers are weak dps" is specifically to do with the scaling of the abilities at level 50, and nothing to do with balance during levelling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm used to some absolutely lovely MMO communities, but the collective meltdowns over loving character names takes the cake.

Diablo 3 had a gigantic meltdown over a Feat of Strength achievement for people who beta tested that game. That's up there if not tops this one.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

blueberrysmith posted:

I was up in the air between the 2 and am making the same decision as you on this one. I wanted to like one of the melee classes, but engineer feels so right. Now to decide between a robot or a little furball...

Chua are great, Mechari are greater. Mechari with even more robot minions and a giant shotgun are greatest.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Uncle Phil posted:

Any word on the Bad Rats website/forumns/sign ups?
Doublestep slapped together an Enjin site but I'll leave it up to him if he wants to link it or do some more sprucing up first. Nothing there really, I expect it to be seat-of-the-pants poo poo at Head Start time anyway.

also my god the work firewall absolutely destroys the drat thing

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bussamove posted:

Chua are great, Mechari are greater. Mechari with even more robot minions and a giant shotgun are greatest.

Yeah I think if I did engineer I would have to be a mechari scientist.

TheDizIsAwesome
Dec 2, 2008
Hey, looking for an invite to the Dominion guild. I made a Chua Medic named TheDizIsAwesome

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

McSlave posted:

Hey, looking for an invite to the Dominion guild. I made a Chua Medic named TheDizIsAwesome

You in Nexus? Online?

Uncle Phil
Nov 1, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Doublestep slapped together an Enjin site but I'll leave it up to him if he wants to link it or do some more sprucing up first. Nothing there really, I expect it to be seat-of-the-pants poo poo at Head Start time anyway.

also my god the work firewall absolutely destroys the drat thing

Thanks man, I am so eager to get this thing launched/organized ect ect that I'm pretty ansy about it all.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are milestones a thing that exist or were they removed for being dumb and unintuitive?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Brackhar posted:

If you like mobility, Medic is the "caster" of choice. It's got a really great toolset for being on the move. The abilities are shorter ranged than Espers or Spellslingers, but if mobility is your thing. I haven't played to max level - so take this with a grain of salt, but Medic seems very fast paced as well, not as fast paced as fx. Warrior, but still a really good class for someone who wants to run around like a lunatic and spam crap constantly.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
^

For the most part, yes. They don't have any "stand still to cast" moves, but Nullifier, where they place a field, can be kind of unintuitive to the whole mobility thing because I've found the quickest way to cast it is to stand still and spam the button.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Are milestones a thing that exist or were they removed for being dumb and unintuitive?

I personally don't think they're unintuitive. A bit silly, perhaps, but it's pretty obvious that stack a lot of a stat, get more of that stat.

TheDizIsAwesome
Dec 2, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

You in Nexus? Online?

I am now

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Normal Adult Human posted:

I think it's an attempt to make "milestones" like WoW's invisible softcaps less of a thing. (they're still in afaik)

PederP posted:

If you like mobility, Medic is the "caster" of choice. It's got a really great toolset for being on the move. The abilities are shorter ranged than Espers or Spellslingers, but if mobility is your thing. I haven't played to max level - so take this with a grain of salt, but Medic seems very fast paced as well, not as fast paced as fx. Warrior, but still a really good class for someone who wants to run around like a lunatic and spam crap constantly.

Echoing this, Medic lets you get in, turn the tide and get out.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Uncle Phil posted:

Thanks man, I am so eager to get this thing launched/organized ect ect that I'm pretty antsy about it all.
If you want to be in the loop with our particular group, come hang out on IRC on irc.synirc.net #wildstar. I think it's mostly just us NA open beta guys there right now but if the EU people want to organize there as well we wouldn't chase them out. If you don't care to install an IRC client you can use Mibbit. If you're really lazy click on http://mibbit.com/#wildstar@irc.synirc.net.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Brackhar posted:

Once you go Engineer, you don't go back.

Even when they were much weaker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil_Greven posted:

Once you go Engineer, you don't go back.

Even when they were much weaker.

I dunno, engineer feels a bit clunky to me, though it might just be the bots. I sure hope they get a chance to work on pets soon after launch. I think I'm going to end up playing stalker, the dps is really nice and they are exciting to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
I've always loved playing the pure healer/support, what would be the closest class that fits that? Medic seems to be more dps oriented than I'd like, its hard to tell how spellslinger and espers are oriented.

• Locked thread