Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Doing it right!

Honestly the more I am reading and listening to Jervis about 7th ed - the more I am interested in it. I personally LOVED 6th Ed and had more fun with it than either of the previous editions. So I am keeping my fingers crossed but I know I will continue to have fun with the next iteration when it comes out.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to buy another book so soon. I too have had a ball with 6th ed and I'm looking forward to giving the edition a viking funeral in our game on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm hoping it takes you to another thread!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

I stopped posting battle reports because no one gives a poo poo

I don't mind that the hobby costs money--all hobbies do. I occasionally mind how much it costs, but what bothers me more is that the overall quality of the game itself doesn't improve as costs increase, except for the FW stuff which is loving awesome. Still gonna buy/paint every primarch.

Though I have to recognize that part of me not caring about the cost is based on my income level, and I don't feel comfortable with telling people "if you can't afford it then get out" when I started playing as a middle schooler back in 2nd edition. By that logic, I would have forced myself out of the game, which seems hosed.

Pages late, but post battle reports anyway dude. I always dig seeing em, and I post them whenever I get the chance to.

Ghost Hand posted:

Doing it right!

Honestly the more I am reading and listening to Jervis about 7th ed - the more I am interested in it. I personally LOVED 6th Ed and had more fun with it than either of the previous editions. So I am keeping my fingers crossed but I know I will continue to have fun with the next iteration when it comes out.
I really enjoyed 6th edition; the only reason I'm bummed about 7th ed happening is that I would like to keep playing 6th for 2 more years. I like a lot of the elements that are being released about it, but others not so much. I have a good group that polices itself pretty well, so the things I don't like the sound of (the really crazy unbound armies and daemon summoning for days) won't be rearing their ugly heads in my group I'm pretty positive.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Daedleh posted:

Also,

Deal of the day: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/mgdzm02-87.html

Deadzone, complete skirmish game with 2 kitted out factions, kickarse terrain and a motherfreaking campaign system for $60.

Little late to the thread since this was mentioned a page or fifty ago OH GOD THIS THREAD SO FAST however I wanted to take the opportunity to flaunt my privilege for all the angry GW haters/GW apologists/narcissists/bad game criticizers/poors before I go and play plastic spacemen at the game shop tonight.

Genuine thanks to the posters who mentioned the Deadzone deal today though, it looks fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Winson can we post recipes in this thread?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've written an op for the new thread. This is it.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Holy poo poo, this thread. :stare:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

I'm hoping it takes you to another thread!

Better curl up, then.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yeah, I picked up the base game since it was 60 bucks at miniature market (they have 9 left). I like Mantic's takes on Blood Bowl and WHFB, but not so much Warzone, so hopefully this is better.

I think the best thing that can be said about Deadzone is that coming in the second wave very soon, is motherfuckin SPACE DORFS

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
This thread is the best it's been since November 1st, 2013.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

koreban posted:

Little late to the thread since this was mentioned a page or fifty ago OH GOD THIS THREAD SO FAST however I wanted to take the opportunity to flaunt my privilege for all the angry GW haters/GW apologists/narcissists/bad game criticizers/poors before I go and play plastic spacemen at the game shop tonight.

Genuine thanks to the posters who mentioned the Deadzone deal today though, it looks fun.

I wish my gaming group would get more into X-Wing. Everybody is a super Star Wars nerd and most of them have even played it, they just aren't really that into it. I just want an excuse to get together and play tabletop games that don't take hours to play.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

GW used to reward people for playing competitively. Straight up. Didn't matter that their design wasn't focused on that, they rewarded people for doing it because they thought it was cool to have big events with lots of people appreciating the game. And they did make rules changes sometimes to help with the balancing, however badly, because that was also part of the game. (Anyone else remember playing Herohammer? That got excised pretty thoroughly.)

Does that sound in any way like the current "maybe you should go find a different game" line? Not really. And the new line, and it IS new, is toxic, lovely and pushes people away from wanting to engage with Warhammer. Even the painters have abandoned it in droves because of this attitude, and GW's Golden Demon award used to be the absolute standard for miniature painting competitions and showcases. "Maybe you should go away because you play this way" will never, ever make Warhammer a game that a lot of people will enjoy. It will never improve the game. It will never improve discussion. It absolutely will never remove the bullshit noise posts from this thread or clean up the major Warhammer forums. This kind of line is exactly why the company is flailing about and losing sales. Some people will interface with the hobby in ways the main GW designers don't necessarily intend and in ways that you will not. Accept it, even celebrate it, or else curl up and whine about people playing wrong. See where that approach will take you.

I absolutely agree. What's the harm in people playing the game more than one way? GW gets to make more money, more people have fun, it's all win. Look at Magic: The Gathering. Lots of different playstyles there, acknowledged by the designers! That makes a fuckton of money.

And seriously, narrative first? In 40k? I really don't see how the game's set up for that, at all. An asymmetrical historical where one side is expected to win, so it's about how long the other can hold out? That's narrative-first. Two armies clash and grab stuff and just beat each other up? That's not.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

Basically, the problems with 40K come dowb to three things: it uses an antiquated set of core rules, its product line resists massive overhauls of those rules, and its makers are loving terrible at communicating with their customers. Every new edition is expected to grandfather in the codices from the last edition, so they can't change the rules too much for fear of breaking the old books (which get broken anyway), so they're stuck trundling on with the same core mechanics they designed back in '86 or whenever while trying to trim and revise around the edges. And they are reluctant to actually talk about why they make the changes they make, leading to customers who feel out of the loop. Their new method of springing new releases like surprises only magnifies that sentiment.

Yeah, the only time they've scrapped everything was moving from 2nd to 3rd edition, which was completely necessary given how they overhauled the game and changed every unit's points cost. 4th and 5th felt more like updates to 3rd rather than completely new games/editions so the grandfathered codexes didn't feel *that* out of place, but they did prevent major changes down the line since to your point, they were committed to the rules that made those prior books work.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am mad that I bought 6th edition rulebook 2 months ago. Could have found lots of better uses for $80. No one cares, but I am mad enough to make a post on a comedy website about it showing my displeasure and to add to the obscene rate of posting in this thread.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

I've just read through about 15 pages of bitching and slapfighting about the new rulebook and you know what, it doesn't really matter to me. I just bought Dark Vengeance to get into this lovely hobby and I'm in it for the long haul, I dont give a gently caress if GW starts charging me per individual rule, I'm getting my money's worth from these lovely plastic spacemen. Every time it seems like a bad idea to put more money into this horrible hobby I just put together more CSM and get high off the glue fumes, none of you can stop me.

post pictures of your first game played.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

koreban posted:

I never really liked x-wing. It's fun for a game or two, but meh. My "other game" is basically every grid based boardgame in existence (zombicide, SDE, getting into Krosmaster Arena).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

I wish my gaming group would get more into X-Wing. Everybody is a super Star Wars nerd and most of them have even played it, they just aren't really that into it. I just want an excuse to get together and play tabletop games that don't take hours to play.

There are maybe 2 people that currently play it at my FLGS. I brought it over to panascope's place on Monday night and got a game in with him while we waited on Hixson and Bulbasaur to show up. I figure between the two I'll get some regular games in somewhere.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
So I lost my pliers and it was only then I realised how much I require a tool with good grip.

I stabbed myself after the wire I was trying to insert slipped.

gently caress my pliers for walking out on me.

Lol at people paying GW prices. I have more fun converting models than painting or playing. Ebay, brothers and sisters, Ebay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Noctis Horrendae posted:

HAHA ROLLING WITH THE PUNCHES EH?

U A COOL rear end DUDE!

NOT!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I too remember the day you stopped posting

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

The cost is a problem. The barrier to entry really is too high. I've posted before my idea that they should release "affordable" army starter sets with complete legal armies and all the rules to use them against your friends' armies. $75 is a pretty reasonable price for a giant rear end gaming rulebook compared to other giant rear end gaming rulebooks, but it's still too much to ask a new player to pay, especially when it doesn't come with the materials you need to play the game. That problem isn't unique to 40K, mind you, but it's still a problem.

Well they have started introducing stuff like the space marine strike force.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Strikeforce

which is basicaly a pretty decent starting army, still quite pricey i agree.

I wonder if they might be better off making each Dark Vengance, or it's new equivalent, with a similar number of models, but only for 1 army. So you could buy say a Space Marine starter set, your friend buys say the Orc starter set. That sort of thing.That way you could increase the variety of models over buying two halfsets and pooling them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this is me every time Horrendae posts

v also this v

Moola fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 14, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
How many pages has it been since a Pukemarine has been posted?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

JerryLee posted:

Ehh, I don't think $75 is that "reasonable" compared to something like Pathfinder's $50 core rulebook, which is in the same size category last time I eyeballed it and almost surely has a much greater density of actual gaming rules

If you start bringing up Pathfinder as an example of actual gaming rules we are going to have An Issue.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
real talk about Deadzone

that snap together terrain is real good and real reasonably priced

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Network Pesci posted:

Not enough.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Darksaber posted:

If you start bringing up Pathfinder as an example of actual gaming rules we are going to have An Issue.

Why, what's wrong with pathfinder?

*leaves thread*

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

Pages late, but post battle reports anyway dude. I always dig seeing em, and I post them whenever I get the chance to.

I really enjoyed 6th edition; the only reason I'm bummed about 7th ed happening is that I would like to keep playing 6th for 2 more years. I like a lot of the elements that are being released about it, but others not so much. I have a good group that polices itself pretty well, so the things I don't like the sound of (the really crazy unbound armies and daemon summoning for days) won't be rearing their ugly heads in my group I'm pretty positive.

I will second that I like battle reports. I don't always comment on everything simply because I am spread to thin. But I definitely like them.

I also hear you SRM - but I'm hoping the next step is even more fun *crosses fingers*

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Network Pesci posted:

Tahdg actually posted it a couple weeks ago and that was the first time I'd seen it in a year or two.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Broken Loose posted:

But this strawman literally doesn't exist. No, really! I could go back through this ENTIRE THREAD and find NO example of this, but I could find pages and pages and pages of people bitching about other people beating them at the game portion of this game. I mean it.

Find ONE post, ONE POST, of somebody who regularly played the game portion but complained about terrible the painting and modeling portion was (outside of cost) pre-blowup and I will ban myself RIGHT NOW. I will ban myself, leave this thread for good, and kindly request that the mods end their game or experiment or whatever.

Not a post - but my Podcast partner for 85 episodes did exactly that :P

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Network Pesci posted:

post it if you got it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Post the puke stormraven

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Fix posted:

*leaves thread*

I will pound you

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Winson_Paine posted:

I will pound you

So hard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

*leaves thread*

wouldnt it be quicker to list whats right with it?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Yes:

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

serious gaylord posted:

You just did.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Y'know under Australian consumer law there's probably a case for GW being liable to replace or refund 40k rule books.

A consumer right in Australia is that there should be "a length of time for which it is reasonable for the product to be used"

One could argue that a $100+ rule book being invalidated after being purchased so recently is unreasonable. Especially considering that previous editions have been valid for at least 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

• Locked thread