Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

If you want a more cynical take, customer redefines the relationship, so instead of being about a public servant fulfilling an obligation to members of society, suddenly it's more of a business contract that both sides are entering into voluntarily. That way it's much easier to talk about 'savings' through shirking your commitments, or to frame people as unwilling to hold up their part of 'the deal'. Some customers just come in to browse, you know? (As opposed to a 'client' which implies an actual established working relationship, and some responsibility to provide what they need.)

Like Sybil says, it's not just marketing-speak - it's a way of altering the perceptions of the people who work there, encouraging them to see their role in a completely different way and internalise all these poo poo attitudes.

True, and I don't think it is necessarily cynical. It used to be a job search contract (with the inherent implication of agreement by both parties) no its a Job Search Declaration, with Commitments therein (used to be actions, and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to most advisors either. You could copy out Mr Men books into the boxes, unless you have pissed them off). All very much more PROACTIVE* and emotional language, so aside from being patronised you get guilted too

*I hate this word, as it is a non word. You are active or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't trust the DWP keeping tabs on me so I've refused consent for them to see my UJM profile and take print outs. Fucks them off no end. I know I'm flagged as a poo poo customer because there's visible discomfort whenever one is assigned to deal with me. Thankfully this has saved my rear end on two occasions, one where my account on UJM was deleted without warning and another time when my entire application history got deleted.

gently caress them. I've only encountered one genuinely nice person, who happens to be my personal advisor, as she actually gives a gently caress and refers me to genuinely useful things.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

All very much more PROACTIVE* and emotional language, so aside from being patronised you get guilted too

*I hate this word, as it is a non word. You are active or not.

That's sort of the same thing to me - call it PROACTIVE, and they've done their part. They've encouraged you to do more and meet targets! If that's not what happens then it's all your fault, you must be slacking/resisting/failing somehow, against the proactivity

Any mention of Mr Men immediately makes me think of these though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1SM813W6H36YA

quote:

If '1984' or 'The Trial' had been a children's book, Mr Messy would be it. No literary character has ever been so fully and categorically obliterated by the forces of social control. Hargreaves may well pay homage to Kafka and Orwell in this work, but he also goes beyond them.

The book ends with a dry reminder from Hargreaves that just as with the secret police in some totalitarian regime, our own small expressions of uniqueness and volition may also result in a visit from these sinister suited agents.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Please tell me you're joking.
Well I certainly wasn't advocating telling your advisor "if this is how you treat your customers I shall write a sternly worded letter!". Yes, I was joking.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

baka kaba posted:

That's sort of the same thing to me - call it PROACTIVE, and they've done their part. They've encouraged you to do more and meet targets! If that's not what happens then it's all your fault, you must be slacking/resisting/failing somehow, against the proactivity

Any mention of Mr Men immediately makes me think of these though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1SM813W6H36YA

Well, thats certainly some fine reading right there, mate

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I've done a potentially stupid thing and made an anti-UKIP leaflet for distributing in my local area. The language is a little bit dumbed down for general consumption, but not that much! I tried not to go all-out full communism, around my Tory-ridden area that'd be pointless.

Feel free to mock my naivete, it's going off to the printers tomorrow and I'll be out delivering next Tuesday, just in time for a few hundred locals to put them straight in their bins :suicide:

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Would there be many potential UKIP supporters who would believe what that leaflet (from someone they don't know anything about) claims, let alone care? Most of them seem to be either Farage worshippers, Randians or racists using the party as a smokescreen to cover up how racist they are, and neither will be swayed by knowing about how racist and selfish UKIP is (if they don't know already). I'm sorry if I'm seeming like I'm trashing your idea, more awareness is always good, but I just don't think it'd achieve much.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

mrpwase posted:

I've done a potentially stupid thing and made an anti-UKIP leaflet for distributing in my local area. The language is a little bit dumbed down for general consumption, but not that much! I tried not to go all-out full communism, around my Tory-ridden area that'd be pointless.

Feel free to mock my naivete, it's going off to the printers tomorrow and I'll be out delivering next Tuesday, just in time for a few hundred locals to put them straight in their bins :suicide:

I wouldn't mock at all, its very good. BUt its faaaar too many words. I don't want you to waste your money, so how about forwarding a template of it to you worst local option?

e: Your the guy in Chelmsford, no? if so, and you go ahead, I'll help you hand out

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 15, 2014

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I'm counting on probably five people actually reading it properly and being swayed by it, but it's still better than sitting on my arse and doing nothing. The people who are going to vote UKIP anyway, I don't really care about them - but people who are tempted (and I talk to a lot at work and in town) might be convinced once they're shown a bit more about how UKIP actually functions. So yeah, it'll be a waste of money, but that'd prob. just go on videogames so who cares right :unsmith:

Trickjaw I'm not in Chelmsford, cheers for the offer though!

haakman
May 5, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

I wouldn't mock at all, its very good. BUt its faaaar too many words. I don't want you to waste your money, so how about forwarding a template of it to you worst local option?

e: Your the guy in Chelmsford, no? if so, and you go ahead, I'll help you hand out

There's a bunch of UKIP signs in fields all the way to Chelmo from Ipswich. gently caress farmers. The lot of them. I guess they got pissed off with all the europeans stealing their hereditary estates and pheasants. loving farmers - never have I seen a more callous, self serving bunch of douchenozzles.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

haakman posted:

never have I seen a more callous, self serving bunch of douchenozzles.

I can think of a few!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

haakman posted:

There's a bunch of UKIP signs in fields all the way to Chelmo from Ipswich. gently caress farmers. The lot of them. I guess they got pissed off with all the europeans stealing their hereditary estates and pheasants. loving farmers - never have I seen a more callous, self serving bunch of douchenozzles.

Is Ben Gummer your mp? The arrogant poo poo aparently got mad at the local council for refusing to use work fare, and on twitter BoycottWorkfare called him on it, asking if he would work for free for six months, and he responded with three letters 'JSA'. They then said great, and when could he start, as that would save £30k. He then promptly hosed off, and I'm guessing given the general area he's a friend of farmers too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

quote:

the reason that the average person doesn’t see this bonus in their everyday life is because it is pocketed by large companies and the government.
The government is where taxes are meant to go, and they don't really pocket them. You could say they're misspent or something but pocketing doesn't make sense.

quote:

so why are some of us still in poverty, and why are there not enough jobs to go round?
You pose but don't answer this question, and I think it's an important one. It is correct that immigrants are not the problem, but you could perhaps mention low pay, "apprenticeships" that don't go anywhere, part time and temporary contracts instead of permanent full time employment and so on. I know you point it out later, but this might be a good time to mention that UKIP supports all these practices and more.

Apart from that yeah it's really long and people aren't going to read it, although I understand that you want to address as many things as possible. I'd take out the last paragraph on immigration (UKIP are anti-immigration), last three paragraphs in other (environment, cost of living and racism), it doesn't feel like they add a lot but they do make the thing much longer. Then condense the stuff on Farage into one paragraph and move the stuff on jobs up to where you talk about employment.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Is Ben Gummer your mp? The arrogant poo poo aparently got mad at the local council for refusing to use work fare, and on twitter BoycottWorkfare called him on it, asking if he would work for free for six months, and he responded with three letters 'JSA'. They then said great, and when could he start, as that would save £30k. He then promptly hosed off, and I'm guessing given the general area he's a friend of farmers too.

Daniel Poulter. Gummer is a no chinned tory boy arse but Poulter? The man is a doctor ffs and he's helping to gut the nhs and actively reduce the quality of life for low income people. I don't understand how you can be a doctor - hippocratic oath and all - and be a tory as well. Talk about a paradox.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

haakman posted:

Daniel Poulter. Gummer is a no chinned tory boy arse but Poulter? The man is a doctor ffs and he's helping to gut the nhs and actively reduce the quality of life for low income people. I don't understand how you can be a doctor - hippocratic oath and all - and be a tory as well. Talk about a paradox.

Tory>Doctor, I guess. At least Ben Gummer can blame those cjd burgers his Dad made him eat. Just watched PMQs and (my own MP, the Hon Simon burs, frog faced bastard that he is) and Rees-Mogg, and so many more make it increasing look like a fairground shooting galley that I would never tire of.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Rees-mogg has to be a piss take. HAS to be. I reckon he's a fully fledged communist just taking the piss. Cue one day him pulling his mask off scooby doo style to reveal a fantastically bushy coal stained marx beard.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Trickjaw posted:

At least Ben Gummer can blame those cjd burgers his Dad made him eat.
I was going to make that crack but it turns out it was his daughter who was made to eat the diseased burger to help Daddy's career, not his son.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

I was going to make that crack but it turns out it was his daughter who was made to eat the diseased burger to help Daddy's career, not his son.

Facts have no place in politics. It was close enough:) And yes, Rees-Mogg, whose father was also batshit, was as a child a regular attendant at AGMs for companies he was investing in, and read the FT religously. There is not one hint of him having correct thought whatsoever, he has even referred (on HIGNFY, but I don't think it was a joke) as his constituency as his estate. Not the council kind, either.

e: Also, something else to hate: The Torygraph has sacked Clive James, who happens to be pegging it due to Leukemia, for not providing value for money. Well, he can always go on ESA!

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 15, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

haakman posted:

Hippocratic oath is optional, at least in the UK. Doctors are required to act within medical ethics anyway or they face malpractice penalties, but it's a slightly different code than the Hippocratic oath sets out. Arguably, anything that won't be considered medical malpractice isn't out of bounds for doctors.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

haakman posted:

Some doctors are terrible people. Remember Bevan had to fight them to agree to the NHS in the first place, being a doctor doesn't necessarily mean they care about the health service or people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spooky Hyena posted:

Would there be many potential UKIP supporters who would believe what that leaflet (from someone they don't know anything about) claims, let alone care? Most of them seem to be either Farage worshippers, Randians or racists using the party as a smokescreen to cover up how racist they are, and neither will be swayed by knowing about how racist and selfish UKIP is (if they don't know already). I'm sorry if I'm seeming like I'm trashing your idea, more awareness is always good, but I just don't think it'd achieve much.

Let's just quote the start:

quote:

- There are legitimate concerns about the impact of immigration on the country, but the immigrants themselves and the process by which they gain entrance to the country are not the problem.

- Strains on infrastructure, housing, the job market and the NHS could be alleviated by using the taxes these immigrants pay to relieve the strain. Immigration brings a massive bonus to the UK economy (immigrants on average contribute 34% more in taxes than goes to them, a figure of roughly £25bn), and the reason that the average person doesn’t see this bonus in their everyday life is because it is pocketed by large companies and the government.

- We are one of the richest countries in the world, and we have a very highly skilled and educated workforce – so why are some of us still in poverty, and why are there not enough jobs to go round? There is more than enough wealth in the country to provide full employment and lift people out of poverty, including anyone who wants to move to the UK, work, and raise a family.

- UKIP, on the other hand, are not interested in what is best for the average person – they view the issue in black and white. They see the problems immigration causes, and they take the easy way out – they blame the immigrants and the people who let them immigrate.

To summarise: UKIP's concerns about the number of immigrants are valid. UKIP's concerns about health care tourism and immigrants occupying houses and jobs needed for British people are valid. UKIP's concerns about over-large government are valid. But it's not the fault of immigrants because

You are not going to convince anyone not to vote UKIP by putting a letter through their door which starts by saying the swivel-eyed loons are right and not providing any counter-argument. Do not post this flyer.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pilchenstein posted:

Well I certainly wasn't advocating telling your advisor "if this is how you treat your customers I shall write a sternly worded letter!". Yes, I was joking.

I hate that I can't tell any more :(

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There must be something in the water regarding rebranding people you're dealing with.

Back when I worked for the Work Programme it was always 'clients'. But now I work for a debt collection agency, and we're getting new guidelines to call the debtors 'clients'. Which is confusing when we're working as a 3rd party and have an actual dictionary-definition client as well.

I think it is, unironically, political correctness gone mad. As though changing the word makes someone happier about being told they owe money.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Let's just quote the start:

To summarise: UKIP's concerns about the number of immigrants are valid. UKIP's concerns about health care tourism and immigrants occupying houses and jobs needed for British people are valid. UKIP's concerns about over-large government are valid. But it's not the fault of immigrants because

You are not going to convince anyone not to vote UKIP by putting a letter through their door which starts by saying the swivel-eyed loons are right and not providing any counter-argument. Do not post this flyer.

I don't see how can say I don't provide a counter-argument. I do point out that immigrants contribute more than they receive, and that the problems, where they exist, are due to wealth being hoarded. You make a good point in that I'm mentioning UKIP's views, but in deepest darkest Gloucestershire I'm not going to get anywhere by saying 'you're all racist fuckers, listen to me, I am Correct'.

e: big scary monsters, duly noted, I'll change that. I originally changed the bit about 'large companies and the government' to 'big business', and then at some point I must have edited the wrong file and reverted it to the former, so that's me messing up.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 15, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

haakman posted:

lol I'm sure the farmers will be real pleased when we leave the EU and they stop getting ~£3.3billion a year in Common Agriculture Policy payments.

idiots

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Had a cheap, photocopied leaflet from the TUSC last night and had a read of their policies.

Any thoughts? I was leaning towards the Greens (despite their stance on Nuclear) but these intrigue me.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

lol I'm sure the farmers will be real pleased when we leave the EU and they stop getting ~£3.3billion a year in Common Agriculture Policy payments.

But we'll save £54M a daaaay!

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 15, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Biggus Dickus posted:

But we'll save £54M a daaaay!

3.3 Billion a year is only £9M a day.

I mean don't get me wrong, Farmers will be relying on the UK Goverment to pass some of the savings of EU Membership onto the Farmers to make up for the shortfall and relying on the Conservatives to give you money is never a winning strategy, but their math does work out if the numbers are right (They're not). Farmers have a few good arguments for being better off outside the EU, they ain't being completely stupid on this one, except they're relying on whoever takes us out of the EU to continue subsidizing Farming and good luck with that.

The EU used to be super good to Farmers, recently not so much and it's not surprising they're getting shifty about it.

I think the best argument for not leaving the EU (Harsh Tarrifs as a parting 'gently caress you' aside) is that'll mean Farming is regulated by the UK Government and they've never been particularly good at doing that sensibly to anything. We'd just end up back at the EU level of regulations if we're lucky, or more likely completely hosed over by a wave of completely stupid "Bright Ideas" meant to help that just end up hurting.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 15, 2014

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Extradition of criminals is utterly unacceptable when the criminals happen to be upper-middle class English people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10832695/Paramedics-called-to-home-of-extradition-couple-who-made-suicide-pact.html

The Telegraph's reported on this case a few times now. It always gives the couple's side of the story uncritically, completely fails to investigate the case against them and does it's best to overlook the fact that they've already had a judgment against them in a civil court in the USA.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Christ almighty Beeb. Britain First on the Daily Politics now and Farage on This Week tonight. Talk about the oxygen of exposure.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
My perception of farmers has shifted heavily, I too see a lot of the ukip/countryside alliance (even now, it's tempting to drop the "o") banners, but the farmers I know don't have that- I don't know their political alliances, but they are far too loving busy trying to keep things going to bother with some loving sign.

As I was getting some paperwork signed by one, I was specifically asked if I had anything to do with the countryside alliance, and got a grin and a "good" when I said no.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Well I was wrong. This is showing Paul Golding of Britain First to be a comlete and utter thick wanker, as you might expect.

e: lol, picture of him at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Sunday with underpants on his head. Tosser.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 15, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Heard UKIP voters on a bus; they 'don't want to get rid of all the blacks' so aren't voting BNP as they are 'too racist' but they feel that buses should only be for British people and that immigrants are stealing their jobs.

I guess UKIP are just the right amount of racist.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Well I was wrong. This is showing Paul Golding of Britain First to be a comlete and utter thick wanker, as you might expect.

e: lol, picture of him at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Sunday with underpants on his head. Tosser.

So who else is the 'balanced' BBC going to have on to balance this one out? I'm not sure I've seen anyone to the left of, say Owen Jones, show up on one of these programmes.

Are there any 'far left' parties likely to be labelled as extremists by the average Joe, or are they all too irrelevant to be thought of as such?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 15, 2014

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Fans posted:

3.3 Billion a year is only £9M a day.

I know, but the argument is that leaving Europe will save us £54M/day. It's these hard-of-thinking types that UKIP are courting I think.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Geokinesis posted:

Heard UKIP voters on a bus; they 'don't want to get rid of all the blacks' so aren't voting BNP as they are 'too racist' but they feel that buses should only be for British people and that immigrants are stealing their jobs.

:stare:

And in what fine town was this bus travelling?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Perhaps they would be willing to allow immigrants to sit on the bus, as long as they stayed in the specially marked seats at the back. Just so that nobody would think they aren't open to reasonable compromise.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Undead Hippo posted:

Perhaps they would be willing to allow immigrants to sit on the bus, as long as they stayed in the specially marked seats at the back. Just so that nobody would think they aren't open to reasonable compromise.

I don't understand the fuss, when I was at school the back of the bus was "the place to be", typical blacks making a fuss out of getting the good stuff :rolleyes:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SybilVimes posted:

I don't understand the fuss, when I was at school the back of the bus was "the place to be", typical blacks making a fuss out of getting the good stuff :rolleyes:

The 'Proper British' people round here would be hosed anyway. Most of the drivers are foreign. I find the worst problem on buses isn't down to a nationality, its those old bastards with passes who use the bus to go from one stop to another 20m away, and are more noisy and irritating than the kids most of the time.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Sometimes the headline and strapline tell you everything you need to know: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/10832848/Lending-to-landlords-up-69pc-in-a-year.html

quote:

Lending to landlords up 69pc in a year
Buy-to-let is the fastest-growing part of the mortgage market, according to lenders' latest data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Umiapik posted:

Extradition of criminals is utterly unacceptable when the criminals happen to be upper-middle class English people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10832695/Paramedics-called-to-home-of-extradition-couple-who-made-suicide-pact.html

The Telegraph's reported on this case a few times now. It always gives the couple's side of the story uncritically, completely fails to investigate the case against them and does it's best to overlook the fact that they've already had a judgment against them in a civil court in the USA.

Sounds like this should never have been a criminal case and highlights how badly someone can manipulate US law if they have enough money.

Which source are you using which shows damning evidence against them and that money laundering should even be brought up?

Also, what does class have to do with this story? It sounds to me like they were self made and not capable of sticking their paws into daddy's money to fight this, quite unlike the privilege being displayed by the plaintiff.

• Locked thread