Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Guest2553 posted:

Holy gently caress

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/13/vancouver-house-that-sold-for-3-million-in-one-day-now-faces-bulldozer-because-it-is-too-small/

tl;dr: A perfectly livable house sells for 3+ million in vancouver within a day of listing. New owners intend to knock it down to build a bigger house. It's alluded to that rich Chinese are to blame.

If you think this is bad, you should cruise around the quieter neighborhoods some times. The new trend to bypass red tape is to demolish everything except the front 5 feet of a century old house, backfilling the rest of the lot with some shitstick mcmansion.

By saving the facade and, like, a chimney or something, you get around what little regulations Vancouver has to preserve our built heritage.

They don't even salvage the materials, it all goes to the landfill. Stained Glass? Landfill. 20' long old-growth douglas fir beams? Landfill. Don't even get me started on the fact that they almost universally pave the remaining yardspace and tear out any trees on the property.

This city is a loving disgrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I lived in a century-old house for the first 10 years of my life or so. It's only a nice thing if they were actually built with high quality materials at the time; houses don't improve with age like wine or anything. Barring having some sort of special historical or architectural significance, I don't think old-but-modern houses/buildings ought to be protected. A lovely fuckin' house is a lovely fuckin' house no matter when it was built.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Really part of the problem is that modern architecture is embarrassingly bad. I don't think anyone would be objecting if modern houses weren't visually offensive. If you're replacing a beautiful old house with a beautiful new house, not so bad, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brannock posted:

Really part of the problem is that modern architecture is embarrassingly bad. I don't think anyone would be objecting if modern houses weren't visually offensive. If you're replacing a beautiful old house with a beautiful new house, not so bad, right?

True. In the case of the 100-year-old house I lived in, it was nothing special (and its replacement is very nice-looking, since it's on a huge chunk of land and isn't built to maximize space on a small lot), and demolishing that piece of poo poo was pretty much the only way to get rid of all the poo poo living in the walls (extermination didn't work, because other creatures would always find their way in).

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Making it outrageously prohibitive to demolish existing houses by leveraging bylaws such as requiring a full engineering inspection detailing that the house is unsalvageable, as well as requiring that any new houses built must be a accompanied at time of construction by a laneway house of at least 500sqft (excluding garage), would go a very very long way to massively improving the market in this city. Straight up making it illegal to pave over your front & back yards would be a great leap forward.

If the house is unlivable, sure, get rid of it. I live in one right now that this should happen to. But for christs sake stop sending the material to the landfill, we aren't exactly drowning in old-growth timber on this planet any more and the materials in most of these houses is a straight up irreplaceable resource. When they tore down the Pantages on Hastings they left the proscenium arch rotting in the lot for a year. A 100' solid span of old growth lumber from a single tree, curved, probably worth $20,000 on the open market. Cut it up and sent it to a loving landfill. :psyboom:

And yes, modern "architecture" is beyond a travesty. I blame idiots like Erickson for locally popularizing the race-to-the-bottom trend of building poo poo as cheaply as you possible can out of the worst possible materials.

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 14, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If "laneway houses" were allowed by the zoning people would build them. You don't need to force them with heavy handed laws, which would still require the zoning to change. If you let people build poo poo they'll build poo poo. For every huge house built that doesn't include a suite or lane house because the builder just wants a big mansion there's 100 more that would have added such things but local zoning and nimby's don't allow for it. (or the incredibly specific situation where the house has a lane doesn't exist)

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also doubt I am the only one that would prefer to not be forced to build a rental unit that I would have no intention of using.

Though considering the number of marble staircase mansions built including a mortgage helper I may be a small minority.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Baronjutter posted:

If "laneway houses" were allowed by the zoning people would build them. You don't need to force them with heavy handed laws, which would still require the zoning to change. If you let people build poo poo they'll build poo poo. For every huge house built that doesn't include a suite or lane house because the builder just wants a big mansion there's 100 more that would have added such things but local zoning and nimby's don't allow for it. (or the incredibly specific situation where the house has a lane doesn't exist)

Totally agree. Requiring people to build a certain way on their own property will just cause them to go to hilarious lengths to circumvent the regulations if they disagree with them. See pictures in this thread of people taking hideous slices of old houses to dodge heritage preservation rules.

I don't think lane way houses are bad per se but if someone told me I had to put one in next to my dream house or not receive a permit I'd tell them to get hosed on principle and go build somewhere else. Incentivizing people to build them on the other hand; offer property tax breaks for any property that has one, provide clear legal / zoning support for it, and you'd have people that might not otherwise build one consider baking it into their plans.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Those incentives currently exist, and have resulted in homeowners building 250sqft favelas that they then try to rent for $2000+ a month.

The idea of someone not buying a property because they can't just tear it down and fill it entirely with a mcmansion, rather than enforced mixed density, is a positive thing for the lower mainland, that's exactly the outcome I was proposing.

Hell, at this point I'd be in favor of a 100% moratorium on issueing permits for single family dwellings in Metro Van.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 14, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Rime posted:

Those incentives currently exist, and have resulted in homeowners building 250sqft favelas that they then try to rent for $2000+ a month.

The idea of someone not buying a property because they can't just tear it down and fill it entirely with a mcmansion, rather than enforced mixed density, is a positive thing for the lower mainland, that's exactly the outcome I was proposing.

Hell, at this point I'd be in favor of a 100% moratorium on issueing permits for single family dwellings in Metro Van.

Yeah, density needs to be increased - and as far as I know there's been major push-back from homeowners at the very idea of lane-way housing as somehow devaluing properties, never-mind any kind of regulations forcing the building of such properties.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Baronjutter posted:

Vancouver both allows and encourages laneway houses.

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/building-your-laneway-house.aspx

E:

Rime posted:

Do you have links to that? The ones I've seen go up have looked like decent sized dwellings, usually two stories and slightly larger than most apartments.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Vancouver both allows and encourages laneway houses.

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/building-your-laneway-house.aspx

E:

Do you have links to that? The ones I've seen go up have looked like decent sized dwellings, usually two stories and slightly larger than most apartments.

http://www.lanecraft.com/index.php/Projects/sophia_street

I've seen many that are smaller. They are almost always two stories because most of the ground floor is a garage, which is usually used by the landlord not the tenants of the laneway.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 14, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those look cute. Some people have tried to build things like that in Victoria, although lanes are very rare here but there's a few cases where a block is thin enough that some of the houses property spans between the streets. There was a house turned into apartments that had a small garage out back. They wanted to build a new larger garage with a single suite over top. It took like a year of red tape and neighborhood protest to finally allow. But that's victoriadevelopment.txt

Almost every house seems to have a basement suite these days, legal or not. More would do it but the city seems to make it as difficult as possible to make existing suites legal and allow future ones. They just rolled out some new very limited zoning bylaw to allow tiny little accessory building sized rental "garden suites" in people's back yards but there's still a billion hoops to jump through and you still need neighbourhood approval to do it and still need all the off-street parking requirements which most lots can't meet so it's useless.

\/ Exactly that. Developers like to say it's a supply and demand issue, but it's an easy credit and speculation issue.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't think anyone is going to argue that building more homes, especially those that are larger than those stupid loving 500 sqft "sky homes" is a bad idea. Supply isn't the problem. Easy credit is.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Almost every house seems to have a basement suite these days, legal or not. More would do it but the city seems to make it as difficult as possible to make existing suites legal and allow future ones. They just rolled out some new very limited zoning bylaw to allow tiny little accessory building sized rental "garden suites" in people's back yards but there's still a billion hoops to jump through and you still need neighbourhood approval to do it and still need all the off-street parking requirements which most lots can't meet so it's useless.

Sounds like Burnaby. Both Laneways and basement suites are completely illegal there, however the city does nothing to enforce it. If they set up a task force to cruise craigslist, view illegal suites undercover, and then fine the owners both for the suite and for the multitude of egregious health & safety violations present in them, they could run a really nice budget surplus.

Even in Vancouver where basement suites aren't expressly illegal this would go a long way. Much like the TFW situation, the kind of people being forced to rent a suite with pay laundry (or laundry outside in a mud floored shack) and a hot plate can't afford to report their landlord and risk eviction.

The current trend with basements is that an old house will split it up into two or even three suites and charge each what the rent of the entire basement would have been a decade ago, and new houses will have these tiny little prison cells built into them during the construction phase by default. This makes it completely impossible to find somewhere to live if you are out of your twenties, or have kids, and not upper middle class.

Hell, I looked at a 1/3rd of a basement last summer that was a single dark room with a 5' ceiling, a hot plate, no laundry, no shower, and the shitheads were charging $650+Utilities for it. Gleefully told me they were financing their daughters condo in New West, wouldn't get back to me till the following week because they would be vacationing in their cottage on Galiano.

loving Boomers.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

ocrumsprug posted:

Point One: Housing isn't an investment
Point Two: You have to buy investments
Point Three: Don't make fun of someone telling you to invest in a house with your savings

Is that a reasonable distillation of your post PT6A?

Real estate is an investment. However, you invest based on cashflow generated, not capital appreciation. If you have a chance to get 5% rental yield after all is said and done, go out and buy as many houses as you can afford. If you are speculating that house prices will increase 20% and you can lever that into an 80% return, you deserve to lose your money.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

on the left posted:

Real estate is an investment. However, you invest based on cashflow generated, not capital appreciation. If you have a chance to get 5% rental yield after all is said and done, go out and buy as many houses as you can afford. If you are speculating that house prices will increase 20% and you can lever that into an 80% return, you deserve to lose your money.

Not to mention the first thing they teach you in investment class is diversification.

One of the women I used to work with had no stocks, mutual funds, or any other investmetn besides rental properties. She pushed hard on it, "why dont you get into it?"

Shes about 10 years away from retirement, or 30 years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.straight.com/news/646311/bob-rennie-speaks-about-housing-affordability-wealth-seniors-immigration-and-david-suzuki

quote:

OLDER PEOPLE IN Greater Vancouver are sitting on phenomenal housing wealth—and this will transform the residential real-estate market in the coming years.

That was one of the key messages delivered by Vancouver condo king Bob Rennie in an hourlong address to the Urban Development Institute on Thursday (May 15).

"The pattern that we should all be watching is the movement of this wealth by the living, which may be more important than the transfer of wealth by the dead,” Rennie told an audience of about 1,000 people at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. “We really do not have a precedent to fully understand this aging and prosperous demographic."

He said that research by Andy Ramlo and Ryan Berlin at the Urban Futures Institute has revealed there are more than 284,000 households in the region with people between 55 to 74 years old.

Within this cohort, 128,000 have clear title on their homes. The value of this "clear-title" equity is $113.4 billion.

Meanwhile, seniors 75 years and older have clear title to homes worth more than $50 billion. Their numbers are expected to increase by 85 percent in the next 15 years.

"What will be the impact of $163.4 billion in equity in the hands of an aging population in our marketplace?" Rennie asked.

In addition, he said there are another 88,000 people between 55 and 74 who have their name on the title of a family home.

In light of this research, Rennie questioned the prevailing notion that incomes are the only thing to consider in assessing the state of Greater Vancouver's housing market.

Equity is driving purchases

He suggested that not nearly enough attention is being paid to equity, pointing out that 69 percent of all sales are to existing homeowners.

Among first-time buyers from his company, he noted, 40 percent are receiving help from parents and grandparents when paying a deposit and a down payment.

Remarkably, 60 percent of first-time buyers were living with their family before buying, and 72 percent were between 20 and 34 years old.

Rennie said that his company’s surveys have also revealed that “location” is the top-ranked consideration for people buying a home, followed by “price”, “transit”, “building amenities”, and “green elements”.

“Surprisingly, even those who do not own vehicles ranked green as last,” he said. “First-time buyers are not philanthropists out to save the planet the day they are buying a home.”

Home ownership isn’t as elusive to younger people as many might think. According to Rennie, 43 percent of people from 25 to 34 own a home in the Lower Mainland. In Richmond, 64 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds own homes.

That compares to just 34 percent of this age group in Toronto.

Statistics tell a misleading story

Rennie said that if the 20 percent of highest-priced condos were removed from the statistics, the average price falls from $442,086 to $313,000. There were 12,674 sales at this level.

In his view, this would enable a person with an annual household income of $30,000 to enter the market with a 25 percent down payment. With a 10 percent down payment, it would require an annual household income of $31,300.

"Try and find 12,674 of anything averaging $313,0000 in San Francisco, New York, London, Paris--$313,000 average for a condo and $668,000 average for a single-family home is not only in line with local incomes, it takes us out of the most-expensive place race."

Rennie mentioned that at Strathcona Village, his company is marketing a project with 200 homes below $300,000. The starting price is $199,000.

However, he also noted that there are far fewer condos being completed downtown nowadays as opposed to a decade ago. There are just 563 this year and 546 next year in downtown, compared to 2,900 completions in 2005 and 2,800 completions in 2006.

In East Vancouver, there were 749 condos completed last year, and only eight remain unsold.

“There will be 900 completions in Vancouver East for 2014 and 2015 in 19 developments,” Rennie said. “And what is really interesting is that 15 of the 19 developments have less than 60 condominiums.”

Contrast that with an expected annual population increase in the region of 39,000 per year for each of the next 15 years.

Multiple bedrooms sought

He also said that as more families are moving into condominium towers, there's an emerging market for affordable units with small second and third bedrooms.

One of his company surveys revealed that 42 percent said they would rather own a 1,250-square foot condo costing $600,000 in Burnaby than a 1,000 square-foot condo in downtown Vancouver costing $750,000.

"The pattern has previously been that the young family was the anomaly in a condo high-rise,” he said.

Similarly, empty nesters who want to sell their single-family homes are often look for more than one bedroom in new condo developments.

At Wall Financial Corporation's Binning project at UBC, he revealed, most of the one-bedroom units were amalgamated with two-bedroom suites to create 1,700-square-foot three-bedroom apartments with a family room and huge outdoor space.

Rennie also said that Intergulf's Empire project at Cambie Street and West 29th was redesigned to include larger units when the one-bedroom condos weren't selling. The first 16 sales had an average purchase price of $900,000.

He said that there were 101,000 apartments and condominiums in Vancouver in 1991; today, there are more than 160,000.

The number of single-family homes has fallen by 30 percent over the same period.

Meanwhile, the aging of the baby boomers has meant there's a growing number of empty bedrooms. That’s because of the increasing population of older people whose children have moved out.

Rennie said that there are 395,000 empty bedrooms in the region, and the number is growing at a faster rate than the growth of new housing stock.

"Empty bedrooms increased by 26 percent over the past decade while housing-stock growth was only 17 percent," he stated.

In addition, he raised concerns that there's not enough information available about condo sales in the multiple-listing service. That's because the majority of new towers are either not placed on MLS or there's only a sample from a building included in the service.

"If MLS is the trusted voice and the reliable source to media, banks, appraisers, and economists, then home buyers and realtors are entitled to the most recent price per square foot and absorption figures available."

Rennie criticizes David Suzuki

In part of his speech, Rennie took exception to what he called "sensational headlines" in newspapers that are "bordering on racism".

He cited one article under the headline “Is Vancouver ready for 52,000 more wealthy new immigrants?”

He noted in his speech that between 2006 and 2011, there were 42,225 immigrants to the Lower Mainland annually, with approximately 7,000 of those arriving in Vancouver each year.

Three-quarters were from Asia, 11 percent were from Europe, and another 10 percent were from North and South America.

He added that about 2,400 per year came from China, "not quite as sensational as the headlines".

"I believe that we have to start admitting that we no longer live in Vancouver, we live on the planet."

Rennie also took aim David Suzuki after he was quoted in a newspaper saying that "Canada is full". Rennie suggested that shutting off immigration would keep families separated, just as during the period of Chinese exclusion from Canada between 1923 and 1947.

"David Suzuki is a regional hero, a voice that carries way beyond our borders," Rennie said.

To further quell concerns about foreign ownership, Rennie cited a company survey, which showed only 233 of 3,515 condo assessments were sent overseas. For example, at Two Harbour Green by Coal Harbour, 79 percent of assessments were sent to the residents’ address, and only three had their assessments sent overseas.

Rennie pointed out that assessments are not sent to renters.

In one section of the speech, Rennie cited research by UBC geographer Dan Hiebert, who has broken regional census data down into 3,400 small communities of 650 people each.

There was an average of 24 ethnic groups within these communities, highlighting the great diversity that already exists in the region.

"In areas like Richmond, where you would expect less diversity, there were still 17 ethnic groups within each community of 650," Rennie said.

In summing up, Rennie claimed that as the economy slows in China or anywhere else there is unrest, "Vancouver becomes even more sought after—not for speculation but for schools, clean air, our water, our diversity, freedom of speech, and a very safe place to invest."

Follow Charlie Smith on Twitter @csmithstraight.

I loving love that Rennie keeps telling people that the average price of real estate is much lower once you remove the top 20% of properties from the sample. That's some robust loving stastistical analysis.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That's hilarious. "Oh hey this value is really high, let's just change the population and... Here we go, much more reasonable." Anyone have a median for the same data?

And what kind of 31k/yr income family buys a 320k home?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All I'm getting out of this is that there is $100B+ in imaginary equity floating around balance books, since "the market" cannot absorb all that property at its currently inflated prices once these elderly or their estates try to liquidate.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well "Boomers sitting on $160B worth of their children's future earnings, and how they hope to get it" is a more accurate headline, but I can see why Bob Rennie didn't use it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

All I'm getting out of this is that there is $100B+ in imaginary equity floating around balance books, since "the market" cannot absorb all that property at its currently inflated prices once these elderly or their estates try to liquidate.

That is an awesome comprehension. :lol:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

That's hilarious. "Oh hey this value is really high, let's just change the population and... Here we go, much more reasonable." Anyone have a median for the same data?

And what kind of 31k/yr income family buys a 320k home?

Just think of it as a deferred penalty.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rime posted:

That's mostly how I read it as well.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Rime posted:

But....the Chinese investors!!

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
Chinese coolie investors. :smug:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Chinese coolie investors. :smug:

:commissar:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rime posted:

The moral is if your kill your parents now you'll be rich. Just don't let your parents die after everyone else's.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dusseldorf posted:

The moral is if your kill your parents now you'll be rich. Just don't let your parents die after everyone else's.
No need to kill them, just have them declared senile or something and get power of attorney to sell their house.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rime posted:

The boomers aren't all going to die off simultaneously, you know - it's not like there's going to be some uncontrolled tidal wave of big family houses all coming onto the market at once to purge the shite out of the system, it's just going to be a slow and steady flow over a period of two decades or more.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No need to kill them, just have them declared senile or something and get power of attorney to sell their house.

Then you have to get them into a home, and that's gonna suck the RRSP dry before you can get to it; gently caress that noise.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Private+sector+role+addressing+housing+affordability/9847047/story.html

quote:

en developers try to build market housing, it is burdened with myriad municipal charges, levies, fees and contributions that simply add to the cost of that housing.

There’s something illogical about the way we are responding in our urban region to our astronomical housing prices. While people in almost every income bracket in Metro Vancouver are caught up in the lifestyle-eroding struggle to pay for housing, collectively as communities we’re doing almost everything possible to stifle the supply of new housing.

I am at a loss to understand what has caused a perverse disconnect between the market realities of supply and demand and the predicament we find ourselves in, burdened with a cost of living almost entirely consumed by rent or mortgage payments.

The frightening reality is that this disconnect seems to be growing larger. It is getting more difficult and more expensive every day to supply housing in Metro Vancouver. It seems like we are the only ones in North America who believe that we need to make it tougher to build new housing in an era where there is an acknowledged global housing shortage — the product of a world that is fast seeing huge population shifts to urban centres.

A couple of weeks ago, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio declared that New Yorkers have a crisis of housing affordability on their hands. The mayor zeroed in on the mismatch between the demand for, and the supply of, housing as one of the leading causes of the affordability crisis. His response is a comprehensive plan to build and preserve 200,000 affordable housing units over the coming decade to support New Yorkers with a range of incomes from the very lowest to those in the middle class.

While many of the initiatives in the New York City plan are aimed at renewing and increasing subsidized public housing, the role of private-sector housing developers in supplying housing is explicitly acknowledged in the mayor’s plan. Also among the plan’s eight guiding principles is one that declares that the city’s planning processes and land-use policies need to be revamped so that New York’s five boroughs can become denser, while better planning for growth. The strategies outlined in the plan to address that principle include removing unnecessary delays and barriers to developing housing, modernizing height and setback regulations to accommodate typical floor-to-floor heights for housing and ground-floor retail and eliminating floor-space ratio caps.

In Metro Vancouver, we haven’t seen a forthright acknowledgment that market housing development is one of the keys to increasing supply so that prices won’t continue to skyrocket. We haven’t had meaningful commitments from local governments to remove unnecessary delays and barriers to developing housing, and every change in zoning and land-use regulation is set up as a political battle rather than an effort to promote housing creation.

I have attended at least four meetings over the last month that were called to discuss the housing affordability challenge in Metro Vancouver. The main topic on the table at all four meetings focused on trying to figure out new ways to provide affordable non-market housing.

ide range of options was explored at these four meetings convened with a diverse range of people from the community.

None of the options were what I would call the “traditional” means of providing housing.

We didn’t talk about the market response to housing demand and supply.

Instead, all of the talk was about potential ways of using non-market tools or levers to try to make affordable housing available, not just to the marginalized or the poor, but to what I call the “mass market.” It is almost as though we have written off a market response.

When developers try to build market housing, it is burdened with a myriad of municipal charges, levies, fees and contributions that simply add to the cost of that housing.

I analyzed a recent rezoning in East Vancouver for a condominium apartment project, where a typical two-bedroom apartment might sell for around $460,000. When I add up the City’s Development Cost Levies, Community Amenity Contributions and public art levies, they equate to about $37,000 for that unit. When that $37,000 is financed with a mortgage over 25 years, the interest cost is approximately $22,500.

Delivering new housing to the market isn’t only expensive because of municipal fees, it is expensive because of the approvals process and the regulators’ demands around design. It takes a number of years from the time approvals are first sought for a multi-family development to the time the housing is occupied.

It takes a number of months just to get a 600-square-foot laneway house approved in Vancouver. A list of people at city hall reviews the most minute design details for every laneway house application. Remember, laneway houses were supposed to be a new affordable housing option.

I am not sure what it will take to get people to connect the dots between our astronomical housing prices and the way we are constraining housing supply. People in other parts of North America seem to get it and are responding to the “crisis,” while we seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Bob Ransford is a public affairs consultant with Counterpoint Communications Inc. He is a former real estate developer who specializes in urban land-use issues. Email: ransford@counterpoint.ca or

Twitter: @BobRansford

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Private+sector+role+addressing+housing+affordability/9847047/story.html#ixzz31zIaPVyK

These loving idiots like ransford need to stop propagating this myth that there's a housing shortage, and that's what inflates the cost of housing , at least in Vancouver.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Historically low interest rates, government-insured mortgages, and lax lending standards have nothing to do with it. No, we're simply a cut above New York, London, Paris, and we're running out of land, in Canada.

And this is what people actually believe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wasting posted:

Historically low interest rates, government-insured mortgages, and lax lending standards have nothing to do with it. No, we're simply a cut above New York, London, Paris, and we're running out of land, in Canada.

And this is what people actually believe.

With the exception of Vancouver aren't most markets not constrained by geography?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

With the exception of Vancouver aren't most markets not constrained by geography?

Vancouver isn't constrained by geography. It's constrained by land use policy.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
It certainly isn't constrained by conservative lending practices.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

they used Vancouver as a stand in for SF in Godzilla, must be good city

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/17/canada-real-estate-market_n_5340655.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

quote:

canada real estate market
Canada's real estate market may look healthy, but it's showing signs of fraying in certain regions and prices could fall by 25 per cent in the long term.

So says a report by Capital Economics, a consulting firm that is holding fast to an ominous prediction it made for home prices in 2012 and 2013.

Economist David Madani says that the market is "surviving for the time being on rapidly rising prices" in overvalued and thinly-traded markets, but regional sales indicate that it's unraveling.

Housing activity and prices are falling in Halifax, while a slowdown is also being observed in markets such as Winnipeg and Victoria.

Of particular concern to Capital Economics is Montreal's housing market, which now faces the risk of a price decline, the report says.

Meanwhile, home prices in Toronto and Vancouver, the most overvalued markets, are holding up for now, though that partly reflects fewer new property listings.

Hogtown's house price inflation is expected to stay close to five per cent in the next few months, while the sales-to-listings ratio in Vancouver indicates that inflation could soften in the near future.

Ultimately, Madani feels that with home prices falling in smaller markets, that it may "only be a matter of timing" before bigger areas take a dive.

The report comes after the Teranet-National Bank house price index showed a large divide between Eastern and Western Canada over the past year.

Prices fell in cities such as Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax, while Toronto and Hamilton were the only markets east of Winnipeg that saw price increases.

Calgary saw an increase of 10 per cent year-over-year, while Vancouver's home prices are up nine per cent in the year up to April.

Capital economics report is inline in the link.

e: scribd link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/224668746/Housing-Correction-Only-a-Matter-of-Timing

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Does anyone have a link to that website/article detailing historical long (Canadian) housing appreciation rates, vs increases in square footage, inflation, etc.? It used data from the US up until Canadian data was available in the 1970s I believe. I know it might be futile, but I'm trying to save a few of my friends who are considering buying in Vancouver now. Or at least make sure they know it is not an 'investment' that will have great returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

rhazes posted:

Does anyone have a link to that website/article detailing historical long (Canadian) housing appreciation rates, vs increases in square footage, inflation, etc.? It used data from the US up until Canadian data was available in the 1970s I believe. I know it might be futile, but I'm trying to save a few of my friends who are considering buying in Vancouver now. Or at least make sure they know it is not an 'investment' that will have great returns.

Start here:
http://housing-analysis.blogspot.ca/

You might find this one interesting:
http://vreaa.wordpress.com/

e: If you really want to convince your friends to wait, make them read this http://www.scribd.com/doc/224668746/Housing-Correction-Only-a-Matter-of-Timing

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 17, 2014