Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Well I'm over 35 looking to join the reserves. Passed my physical and just waiting for my waiver interview. Will that be entertaining enough?

No, reserves aren't nearly as entertaining as people making horrible choices on active.

Edit: TOTP True sniper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

No, reserves aren't nearly as entertaining as people making horrible choices on active.

Edit: TOTP True sniper

You didn't have a spotter, you blew up a civilian! Stand down and RTB!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

orange juche posted:

You didn't have a spotter, you blew up a civilian!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Seqenenra posted:

So I was walking to one of the ships here in Yokosuka yesterday, minding my own business for the most part when I noticed something odd about a car next to me. I know that this belongs to one of you. Also, the numbers on the plate seem to be related somehow.

Okay, 7th Fleet goons. Who did this? Brilliant, but Seqenenra doesn't drive a March.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hahaha, some dude that got out of Field Med in Camp Pendleton sent an email straight to the CO asking her if we can wear the Marine camo pattern instead of NSUs to show "that we are 8404" qualified. He had the decency to notify his chain of command by CCing them in the email.

The answer was No.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Well I'm over 35 looking to join the reserves. Passed my physical and just waiting for my waiver interview. Will that be entertaining enough?

Have fun picking up trash!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Commoners posted:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

forgot the

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Hahaha, some dude that got out of Field Med in Camp Pendleton sent an email straight to the CO asking her if we can wear the Marine camo pattern instead of NSUs to show "that we are 8404" qualified. He had the decency to notify his chain of command by CCing them in the email.

The answer was No.

I hope that was the entirety of the email.

quote:

To: Dumbass
CC: Dumbass's chain of command
Subj: RE: MARPAT (UNCLASSIFIED)

No.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

The navy really hates when people hack into their servers, especially if you're serving on their aircraft carrier.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...wpsrc=AG0003336
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/05/extruman-sailor-charged-massive-hacking-case

What a little shithead. "Oh, I want to be just like Bradley Manning!"

So this fuckead joined in 2009 and washed out in 2011? Was he at his first command for half a year, get kicked out for something stupid, and then decide to exact revenge?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

Have fun picking up trash!

Got any technique tips?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Bend with the back and not the knees in hopes of getting limdu.

Also for easier entry.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 9, 2014

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

So this fuckead joined in 2009 and washed out in 2011? Was he at his first command for half a year, get kicked out for something stupid, and then decide to exact revenge?

This info is in different parts of the article, but here's the story:

His service record says he [...] joined the Navy in April 2009. After basic training, he went into nuclear field training [...] and joined the Truman in September 2011. He was discharged as a petty officer third class [...] in May 2013.

But it means he spent two and half years in the nuke pipeline, which is fairly normal, and spent a little bit over a year and a half on his boat. Probably got masted at some point which caused his discharge, because nukes have 6 year contracts, and advancement rates are pretty high.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Got any technique tips?

Make it take as long as possible.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
I just finished basic, and now on route to San Antonio for corp school. My god boot camp was boring

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

nacirema posted:

I just finished basic, and now on route to San Antonio for corp school. My god boot camp was boring

It's just as boring as boot camp, except you can go out to San Antonio or I also recommend taking a weekend to Austin City Limits if you're into the music scene. Car rentals are fairly cheap some places.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

nacirema posted:

Mi Tierra and Taco Cabana. Mmmmm. You're gonna love the Navy if Boot was boring.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

poopkitty posted:

You're gonna love the Navy if Boot was boring.

Boot was laundry folding 101. Therefore: By that logic I loved every minute of my 5 years, 3 months, 8 days, and 14 hours of active duty. Every goddamn minute. :bang:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Noeland posted:

Boot was laundry folding 101. Therefore: By that logic I loved every minute of my 5 years, 3 months, 8 days, and 14 hours of active duty. Every goddamn minute. :bang:

Glad you took to your new career with such enthusiasm.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

vulturesrow posted:

Been summed up pretty well. I'll just add that they are a necessary evil because some sailors are literally incapable of living like a grown up without being made to do so. Let me tell you about the guy that had ferrets in his barracks room...

It's a little higher on my priority list when deployed because in a 100 man berthing your filthiness has a direct impact on people around you. Usually though those guys around you take care of it pretty directly.

One time on deployment during an inspection a guy had a "self pleasure device" in his rack and proceeded to tell the inspector that several guys actually shared said device... :barf:

At the fleet replacement squadron (OTJ p-3 aircrew training before getting to the fleet) we do weekly barracks inspections. It's a combination make sure the rooms are being taken care of/the junior guys have adequate living conditions. Our normal inspections are done by a chief and a first who go to the barracks, pick a handful of rooms at random and check em. A sweep is done before releasing everyone on holiday leave (they get essentially december off). Targetted inspections are only if there is a specific complaint from a student/the barracks personnel or if the command gets wind of a possible issue (drugs/underage drinking/cohabilitation, etc). iirc the barracks themselves do inspections as well.

Even though our squadron is the last stop, the stupidty is still there. We have a days since last DUI and drug pop poster. Last DUI was end of march and drug pop was in Jan. Hurray for student mentality.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
:justpost:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

They are having HNs do seat belt checks because some people aren't wearing them. From the numbers it's mostly the contractors that go around trimming bushes and poo poo.

We've started barracks preinspections too the day before the inspection to cut down on people failing (no one is).

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

They are having HNs do seat belt checks because some people aren't wearing them. From the numbers it's mostly the contractors that go around trimming bushes and poo poo.

We've started barracks preinspections too the day before the inspection to cut down on people failing (no one is).

...Isn't this how the navy has operated for the past decade?

The Nanny State always comes first to the highest-risk agencies....

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
3 years and 2 months left. NSTR

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

1 year 7 months :smug:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

1 year 7 months :smug:

Been out for 2 and change :yosbutt:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

4 years, 2 months.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Out for two weeks as of tomorrow.

Journey home status: relaxing. Saw my sister in Portland, crashed on a friend's couch in Eugene, took the 101 all the way down the coast, saw my cousin in the valley, and spent some time in LA with an old friend. Visiting a friend in SD tonight, heading to Vegas tomorrow morning.

I'm looking for poo poo to do between Vegas and DFW. Seems desolate. Any suggestions?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

Journey home status: relaxing. Saw my sister in Portland, crashed on a friend's couch in Eugene, took the 101 all the way down the coast, saw my cousin in the valley, and spent some time in LA with an old friend. Visiting a friend in SD tonight, heading to Vegas tomorrow morning.

I'm looking for poo poo to do between Vegas and DFW. Seems desolate. Any suggestions?

Your gut instinct is pretty accurate, there isn't very much at all out there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MancXVI posted:

Drive as fast as you can and stop as little as possible. Hope you like listening to Tex-Mex radio (if you don't have XM).

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

One of those FM casters might also be good, bought one for my drive from San Antonio to Lemoore and sweet jesus did it save me. Still comes in handy whenever the local stations have music I hate on my drives to work or to LA/SF. Some of them also charge the iPod while it's playing.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Not gonna lie, I am back home for the first time in 4.5 years and I may be writing my resume when I get back. If I could find a job commensurate with what I make now, I may not re-up at the ten year mark. The Navy always scares you into thinking the market is poo poo, but one of my friends makes 60k a year in the Midwest on a philosophy degree and no real world experience...

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Schlabbalabba posted:

Not gonna lie, I am back home for the first time in 4.5 years and I may be writing my resume when I get back. If I could find a job commensurate with what I make now, I may not re-up at the ten year mark. The Navy always scares you into thinking the market is poo poo, but one of my friends makes 60k a year in the Midwest on a philosophy degree and no real world experience...

Having recently re-entered the job market after 6 years in the Navy, I have one piece of advice. Pay someone to build your resume for you, its worth every drat penny. There is a guy in the SA market forum that does resumes and my experience was excellent.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Literally dragging a guy through an EIDWS board who is not at all able to function in a board.

Might be carrying this one solo

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're thinking of getting out it's not a bad idea to talk to the headhunters. I used Bradley-Morris when I got out, they got me a really good job basically over a weekend. A buddy of mine went through Orion International and in a roundabout way that's how I found my new job.

That assumes you're not doing the GI Bill - undergrad track right away, which is the smart thing to do.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're thinking of getting out it's not a bad idea to talk to the headhunters. I used Bradley-Morris when I got out, they got me a really good job basically over a weekend. A buddy of mine went through Orion International and in a roundabout way that's how I found my new job.

That assumes you're not doing the GI Bill - undergrad track right away, which is the smart thing to do.

I used Orion, been in my job for two years and I still dig it. The headhunters are really nice if you are trying to go to, or stay in a major metropolitan area. You have to be somewhat flexible, or willing to wait a few weeks for something in an area you want to live.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've been working with a guy who I got in touch with at my first opportunity to get out. Even though I didnt, and I still have 4 years to go, he still emails me every month and answers me immediately when I have any questions. Pretty impressed honestly. He works for Lucasgroup.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Also if you don't mind staying in your current area get good with the contractors you work with. They usually get decent bonuses for referring people that get hired at their company, and ones that aren't shitheads will usually split it.

When I got hired at this place the bonus was 5 grand and after taxes we each got a little less than 2 grand.

Btw if anyone wants to teach ctn a school pm me :wink:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Also if you don't mind staying in your current area get good with the contractors you work with. They usually get decent bonuses for referring people that get hired at their company, and ones that aren't shitheads will usually split it.

When I got hired at this place the bonus was 5 grand and after taxes we each got a little less than 2 grand.

Btw if anyone wants to teach ctn a school pm me :wink:

Plz wait until 2017 after I have obliserved as a CTN kthx.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

Plz wait until 2017 after I have obliserved as a CTN kthx.

I'll still be here. This job owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Some people like changing shirts and doing the same job. When Igot out I wanted good distance from Navy stuff entirely. To each his own.

• Locked thread