Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hypation posted:

I'd say pissed off - he has a particular legitimate issue with some of the climate groups and went against them. This issue seems to be over the politicisation of science plus making tenuous / unsupportable secondary conclusions from the results of climate models.

Sounds about right, but saying he's pissed off implies some kind of personal emotional reaction, which is a handy way of dismissing what he has to say. "Oh you can ignore him, he's just pissed off at such and such"

I'd say the quote "It is frustrating that climate science is not able to validate their simulations correctly. Since the end of the 20th century, the warming of the Earth has been much weaker than what climate models show." Shows he has some strong concerns about the climate models rather than just being concerned about alarmist newspaper headlines and polititians getting invloved in climate science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Rip Testes posted:

With news that West Antarctic Glacier Loss Appears Unstoppable the response from some quarters has been unfortunately predictable.

From Forbes

As I understand it the complete melting and sea rise is still a ways off, so there's some amount time to at least prepare for some aspects of the inevitable consequences, but to do nothing at all? Won't that just lead to more inevitable consequences beyond the one mentioned in the article? Where's the economist's thinking about trying to head off those costs?

Maybe he is just a radical leftist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerationism

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who, exactly, is politicizing climate change? And what does that even mean? If you truly believe it's happening, doesn't something that inherently requires governmental intervention inevitably end up politicized?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Radbot posted:

Who, exactly, is politicizing climate change? And what does that even mean? If you truly believe it's happening, doesn't something that inherently requires governmental intervention inevitably end up politicized?

If you truely believe one way or another that climate change is or isn't happening then pushing for government policy in view of that is, yes, politicising it. But that's just politicising the actions you take. I think the problem is with the actual science itself being politicised. ie scientists with a particular ideology effecting the science, or people twisting the science to make it fit a pre exisiting ideology. Rather than objectively analysing the data.

edit: eg

http://klimazwiebel.blogspot.nl/2014/05/lennart-bengtsson-leaves-advisory-board.html

quote:

"I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. I see therefore no other way out therefore than resigning from GWPF. I had not expecting such an enormous world-wide pressure put at me from a community that I have been close to all my active life. Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc. I see no limit and end to what will happen. It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy. I would never have expecting anything similar in such an original peaceful community as meteorology. Apparently it has been transformed in recent years.

Under these situation I will be unable to contribute positively to the work of GWPF and consequently therefore I believe it is the best for me to reverse my decision to join its Board at the earliest possible time."

Since he's the flavour of the day, here's a bonus

http://klimazwiebel.blogspot.de/2013/03/lennart-bengtsson-global-climate-change.html

quote:

For some parts of the industry as well as for different NGOs such as Greenpeace and WWF a threatening climate warming have become a necessity and a source of extra income as it provides continued subventions for wind and solar energy as well as contributions from worried parents and grandparents that are anxious to protect their children and grandchildren from an approaching climate catastrophe.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 14, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Greenpeace and WWF are so ridiculously ineffectual and poorly funded, it's hard for me to believe that their influence even approaches that of people who benefit from climate denialism. I wonder how much of this is "truth is in the middle"-ism.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Illuminti posted:

I think the problem is with the actual science itself being politicised.
In the denial camp, sure. For the camp with the 97% of actual climate scientists..?

quote:

Since he's the flavour of the day, here's a bonus
A "bonus" meaning...what? A laughable conspiracy theory? Those massive titans of industry influence, Greenpeace and WWF, have any loving factor at all? What exactly is your point?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is Lennart Bengtsson important or something? Some 'skeptic' groups are touting this as a 'major win'
He's been a skeptic of the "Global Warming's Not So Bad" type for a while now, this is nothing new.

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/vetenskap/vi-skapar-en-valdig-angslan-utan-att-det-ar-befogat/

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

In the denial camp, sure. For the camp with the 97% of actual climate scientists..?

I think it's ironic just how well you illustrate the politics by making this statement.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Lewis-Crock Climate Sensitivity Optimism Ill-Founded

quote:

The UK anti-climate policy advocacy group Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) has published a report written by Nic Lewis and Marcel Crok claiming “the IPCC hid the good news” regarding climate sensitivity. Lewis is an amateur researcher and retired financier who has published a few papers estimating climate sensitivity, and Crok is a freelance science writer.

GWPF asked climate scientist Judith Curry to write the Foreword to the report, presumably to lend it more credibility. However, Curry has no publications or expertise in this area, and once said that the global equilibrium climate sensitivity could fall anywhere between 0 and 10°C for doubled CO2. This comment is totally incompatible with the body of climate sensitivity research, and also with the GWPF report.

quote:

Climate models (general circulation models or GCMs) provide another method by which to estimate climate sensitivity. The physics of the climate system are input into very detailed climate models, which can then estimate how the global temperature will respond to various forcings. The results can give us projections of future global warming under a variety of scenarios, and also give us an estimate of the global climate sensitivity. Most GCM equilibrium climate sensitivities range between 2 and 4.5°C (average 3.2°C in GCMs used in IPCC AR5). This range is consistent with paleoclimate estimates.

Lewis and Crok make the following argument.

"Between the Fourth and Fifth [IPCC] Assessment Reports the best estimate of the cooling effect of aerosol pollution was greatly reduced. That necessarily implies a substantially lower estimate for climate sensitivity than before. But the new evidence about aerosol cooling is not reflected in the computer climate models. This is one of the reasons that a typical climate model has a substantially higher climate sensitivity than would be expected from observations: if a model didn’t have a high climate sensitivity, its excessive aerosol cooling would prevent it matching historical warming."

quote:

However, according to climate modeler Gavin Schmidt of NASA GISS, this is incorrect.

“Their logic is completely backwards. Climate model sensitivity to a doubling of atmospheric CO2 is intrinsic to the model itself and has nothing to do with what aerosol forcings are. In CMIP5 there is no correlation between aerosol forcing and sensitivity across the ensemble, so the implication that aerosol forcing affects the climate sensitivity in such 'forward' calculations is false ... The spread of model climate sensitivities is completely independent of historical simulations.”

quote:

This point was also made by Schmidt et al. (2014), which additionally showed that incorporating the most recent estimates of aerosol, solar, and greenhouse gas forcings, as well as the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and temperature measurement biases, the discrepancy between average GCM global surface warming projections and observations is significantly reduced. This approach also accounts for the previously underestimated volcanic aerosol forcing, demonstrated by Santer et al. (2014), but not included in the GWPF report.

quote:

Climate Policies are Insufficient in Any Case

The GWPF report concludes by complaining that by not emphasizing the lower climate sensitivity estimates, the IPCC has “inadequately informed” policymakers about the state of the science. However, from a policy standpoint, we're not doing nearly enough to reduce emissions even in the best case scenario. As Myles Allen, co-author on Otto et al. (2013) noted of the GWPF report,

“Their prediction of 1.35 degrees C [TCR] is, even if correct, only 25% lower than the average of the general circulation models used in the IPCC 5th Assessment. A 25% reduction in TCR means the warming we might have expected by 2050 might take until the early 2060s instead.”

Moreover, as detailed above, the full body of scientific evidence suggests that climate sensitivity is relatively high. Even if you believe the GWPF report is right, there's a good chance it's not. Proper risk management therefore mandates that we must take action to mitigate the threat of dangerous climate change.

But in any case, the full body of evidence is firmly against the conclusions of the report. The authors merely dismiss or ignore the research that doesn’t support their desired conclusion, and overlook the shortcomings of the research that does.

Damned groupthink Climate Scientists, forcing the noble Mr. Bengtsson from this well respected organization! :argh:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

squeakygeek posted:

I think it's ironic just how well you illustrate the politics by making this statement.

I don't understand this post. What are you saying here?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

katlington posted:

Skeptics and deniers are unsurprisingly bemoaning the fact that people want to call a spade a spade when it comes to this issue. Branding it as politics (as a way to tap into everyone's disdain for "politics as usual") is pretty silly as academic arguments typically break up into camps like this. The big difference with climate change being the overwhelming lopsidedness of the "camps" involved, how tightly the denier camp correlates with conservative political philosophies, and the fact that its a bit more consequential than the other sorts of things the scientific community argues about. Being a climate skeptic is increasingly becoming enough all on its own to earn a person derision and scorn, so naturally a skeptic is unhappy about this. Its why you see Arkane backpeddle that no, hes not a denier. SURE, he'll admit to anthropogenic climate change, he'll just tell you (along with other "lukewarmists" like Illuminiti and squeakygeek) that its so slight and inconsequential to merit being ignored entirely and questioned indefinitely. As far as I'm concerned thats just denialism ashamed of its own brand.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

katlington posted:

Well look, if 97% of doctors you saw were saying that your current lifestyle of eating pure lard and chain smoking was seriously going to impact your future ability to be "alive", and the 3% of doctors you saw (who were actually just chiropractors that you paid) said that the other 97% were quacks and that you're just fine, well it stands to reason that agreeing with one or the other would mean you are politicizing this clearly very controversial issue!

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

sitchensis posted:

Well look, if 97% of doctors you saw were saying that your current lifestyle of eating pure lard and chain smoking was seriously going to impact your future ability to be "alive", and the 3% of doctors you saw (who were actually just chiropractors that you paid) said that the other 97% were quacks and that you're just fine, well it stands to reason that agreeing with one or the other would mean you are politicizing this clearly very controversial issue!

More irony. As a medical doctor, I can tell you there are plenty of things most doctors do that are not well supported by evidence... and we are definitely not immune to political pressures.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Heh, doctors are the worst example of consensus-driven science. Look at the history of ulcer treatment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"You have to organize yourself to counter our lies and propaganda. Politics as usual" :smug:

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Radbot posted:

Greenpeace and WWF are so ridiculously ineffectual and poorly funded, it's hard for me to believe that their influence even approaches that of people who benefit from climate denialism. I wonder how much of this is "truth is in the middle"-ism.

Mmm, Greenpeace is funded to the tune of 200 million euros a year and the WWF around $800 million dollars. Yes they are not the Koch brothers but hardly meeting in a local scout hut. Besides the point though, he wasn't specifically calling out WWF and Greenpeace, but the NGOs and organisations that have started to rely on climate alarmism for their funds.

A "bonus" meaning...what? A laughable conspiracy theory? Those massive titans of industry influence, Greenpeace and WWF, have any loving factor at all? What exactly is your point?

A bonus meaning "here's something else the guy I'm talking about wrote that you might be interested in reading"

sitchensis posted:

Perhaps a better analogy would be. 97% of doctors you saw were saying that your current lifestyle of eating pure lard and chain smoking had given you cancer and if you carried on it would get worse and worse and kill you", the only way to stop it would be to eat only fibre pills and spend all your income on Chemo, oxygen tents and daily colonics. But you carried on smoking and eating lard, you even upped it to 2 packs a day and an extra kilo of lard. Over the next 20 years nothing happened, and you're pretty much the same as before. You might think the doctors had been making cast iron predictions without a good understanding of the information, much like the 20,679 physicians who tell you Luckies are less irritating on the throat or that ulcers are caused by stomach acid. But that would be silly, because 97% of them agree.

Anyway analogies are bollocks, and I'm annoyed I responded with one, but know I've typed it what the hell.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Illuminti posted:

Mmm, Greenpeace is funded to the tune of 200 million euros a year and the WWF around $800 million dollars. Yes they are not the Koch brothers but hardly meeting in a local scout hut. Besides the point though, he wasn't specifically calling out WWF and Greenpeace, but the NGOs and organisations that have started to rely on climate alarmism for their funds.

A bonus meaning "here's something else the guy I'm talking about wrote that you might be interested in reading"

Perhaps a better analogy would be. 97% of doctors you saw were saying that your current lifestyle of eating pure lard and chain smoking had given you cancer and if you carried on it would get worse and worse and kill you", the only way to stop it would be to eat only fibre pills and spend all your income on Chemo, oxygen tents and daily colonics. But you carried on smoking and eating lard, you even upped it to 2 packs a day and an extra kilo of lard. Over the next 20 years nothing happened, and you're pretty much the same as before. You might think the doctors had been making cast iron predictions without a good understanding of the information, much like the 20,679 physicians who tell you Luckies are less irritating on the throat or that ulcers are caused by stomach acid. But that would be silly, because 97% of them agree.

Anyway analogies are bollocks, and I'm annoyed I responded with one, but know I've typed it what the hell.

Not even close:
http://worldwildlife.org/about/financials

And the vast majority is not spent on anything remotely political.

I wish I could live in your fantasy world, where overbearing environmental NGOs fought dollar for dollar with the Kochs and their political influence was comparable.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 15, 2014

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Radbot posted:

Not even close:
http://worldwildlife.org/about/financials

And the vast majority is not spent on anything remotely political.

I wish I could live in your fantasy world, where overbearing environmental NGOs fought dollar for dollar with the Kochs and their political influence was comparable.

That's completely beside the point. You don't need a billion dollars to harass and ostracize a scientist who comes to a different conclusion to you. I was merely illustrating that they are not "ridiculously ineffectual and poorly funded".

Would you care to address the point of my original post, that a scientist who clearly isn't funded by the Koch brothers and a well respected expert in his field, which is climatology, joined a skeptical group and was immediately "put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety"

Does that seem like objective behaviour to you? Or more like the kind of thing an ideological group would do. It seems his stance has not changed in terms of the science, so it must be the mere fact of his decision to become associated with the GWPF that has set of the witch hunt against him. No one can be allowed to question it, and no opposition will be tolerated.

Of course their actions are necessary because we're all going to explode in 15 years. Either that or he's lying and it's all a stage managed act scripted by big oil.

edit: oh and i got the number from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Fund_for_Nature#Criticism

"WWF received €56 million (US$80 million) from corporations in 2010 (an 8% increase in support from corporations compared to 2009), accounting for 11% of total revenue for the year"

which would imply a total of $725 million

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 15, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Illuminti posted:

That's completely beside the point. You don't need a billion dollars to harass and ostracize a scientist who comes to a different conclusion to you. I was merely illustrating that they are not "ridiculously ineffectual and poorly funded".

Would you care to address the point of my original post, that a scientist who clearly isn't funded by the Koch brothers and a well respected expert in his field, which is climatology, joined a skeptical group and was immediately "put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety"

Does that seem like objective behaviour to you?
That assumes:

1) He actually was put under the type of pressure he alleges. What was actually done? Has he detailed any of this supposed reputation assassination by these shadowy climate "doomsday" conspirators that would justify his description? He's all but stopping short of insinuating implied threats.

2) The group is unlike every other climate denial group and in this case not completely misusing the term "skeptical". If this group has a reputation of cherry-picking and outright ignoring data and bypassing the peer-review process - which judging by it's last "report", it may have come across that reputation deservedly - why shouldn't he come under withering criticism for joining a group with such a poor scientific track record?

So, what does this "harassment" entail? Has he provided any detail? Emails from other climate scientists asking "WTF are you doing?" Public denouncements of the organization and thereby questioning the motives of anyone associated with it? If their reputation is that poor, then why would you not expect that to be the case?

Really, the argument presented thus far seems to be "This organization is skeptical (because it says so). This meteorologist is being viciously harassed (because he says so).

Therefore, climate science is political".

e: me no spell gud

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 15, 2014

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bengtsson's field is meteorology, not climatology. It's a bit like confusing your family doctor for a medical researcher.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

That assumes:

1) He actually was put under the type of pressure he alleges. What was actually done? Has he detailed any of this supposed reputation assassination by these shadowy climate "doomsday" conspirators that would justify his description? He's all but stopping short of insinuating implied threats.

2) The group is unlike every other climate denial group and in this case not completely misusing the term "skeptical". If this group has a reputation of cherry-picking and outright ignoring data and bypassing the peer-review process - which judging by it's last "report", it may have come across that reputation deservedly - why shouldn't he come under withering criticism for joining a group with such a poor scientific track record?

So, what does this "harassment" entail? Has he provided any detail? Emails from other climate scientists asking "WTF are you doing?" Public denouncements of the organization and thereby questioning the motives of anyone associated with it? If their reputation is that poor, then why would you not expect that to be the case?

Really, the argument presented thus far seems to be "This organization is skeptical (because it says so). This meteorologist is being viciously harassed (because he says so).

Therefore, climate science is political".

e: me no spell gud

So with absolutely no evidence you are calling him an liar. More than that you are accusing him of lying with the goal of cynically smearing other climate scientist for the agenda of I guess Big Oil? The only information we have is from a well respected scientist saying he has been harassed and ostracized by his former colleagues and peers. I would assume the assumption for a person of his caliber would be that he's not a lying shill and should at least be afford a modicum of respect. But you are illustrating perfectly the mindset of the people who are harassing and cutting off ties with them. He's guilty by association, he's strayed from the true path, therefore he is wrong and the assumption should be has an evil agenda or is getting paid.

Hello Sailor posted:

Bengtsson's field is meteorology, not climatology. It's a bit like confusing your family doctor for a medical researcher.

A brief look at his wiki page would show you he is very qualified to comment on climatology, not just tomorrows weather.

quote:

Lennart Bengtsson, born 1935, is a Swedish meteorologist. His research interests include climate sensitivity, extreme events, climate variability and climate predictability. He was Head of Research at the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts from 1975 to 1981 and then Director until 1990; then director of the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg. He is now a Senior Research Fellow at the Environmental Systems Science Centre in the University of Reading.

In 2005 he was awarded the René Descartes Prize for Collaborative Research[2] together with Prof. Ola M. Johannessen and Dr. Leonid Bobylev from the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre in Norway and Russia for the Climate and Environmental Change in the Arctic project. In 2006 he was awarded the 51st IMO prize of the World Meteorological Organization for pioneering research in numerical weather prediction

It's interesting to see how the bands of who is deemed "qualified" move in and out of various fields of study and qualifications depending on what side of the argument they come down on. Oceanologist doesn't support climate alarmism is a guy who studies tides and poo poo, Oceanologist who does is highly qualified researcher into an important aspect of the climate

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Illuminti posted:

So is Lennart Bengtsson unqualified, being paid or senile?
He's an idiot who apparently joined a global warming denier organization, so probably a bit of all those things.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

CSM posted:

He's an idiot who apparently joined a global warming denier organization, so probably a bit of all those things.

Classic

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Illuminti posted:

A brief look at his wiki page would show you he is very qualified to comment on climatology, not just tomorrows weather.

Yes, I read his Wikipedia page and CV before I posted, but thanks. You'll note Wikipedia also specifically mentions his training is in meteorology. Yes, those are related fields. Yes, he also has interests in climatology and has attached his name to some climatology papers. However, his training is not in climatology. He is, in fact, not qualified to comment on climatology. Traditionally, climate denialists, creationists, and other peddlers of horseshit tend to overlook such things, even going so far as to tout the views of people in completely unrelated fields just because they've distinguished themselves in those fields, so I can see where you'd miss this important distinction.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Hello Sailor posted:

Yes, I read his Wikipedia page and CV before I posted, but thanks. You'll note Wikipedia also specifically mentions his training is in meteorology. Yes, those are related fields. Yes, he also has interests in climatology and has attached his name to some climatology papers. However, his training is not in climatology. He is, in fact, not qualified to comment on climatology. Traditionally, climate denialists, creationists, and other peddlers of horseshit tend to overlook such things, even going so far as to tout the views of people in completely unrelated fields just because they've distinguished themselves in those fields, so I can see where you'd miss this important distinction.
And deniers also tend to barely publish anything in the field. Because while 97% of climatologist support the consensus view, in terms of actual research it's more something like 99,99%.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hello Sailor posted:

However, his training is not in climatology. He is, in fact, not qualified to comment on climatology.
I don't think it's reasonable to say that the subject of one's initial training dictates forevermore the matters on which one is qualified to comment. If he's done meaningful work in the field of climatology, then he can talk about climatology.

I don't actually know whether or not he's done such work, mind - the Descartes prize bit sounds like it would be climate-related, but who really knows.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The proper response when a scientist throws their lot in with the denialist camp is not to pick nits about their exact field. Global warming is as multidisciplinary as it gets and there are tons of experts in many different areas who can contribute. Rather, the question to ask is whether their objections are based on a substantive analysis of the data that is, if not subject to peer review, at least open-sourced and detailed to a sufficient extent that other experts can evaluate its merit, or whether they are simply throwing their title behind the same old tropes. Freeman Dyson, for instance, is a very famous physicist but as far as I know he has not seriously laid out any criticisms of the models that are any more detailed than the ones made every day by non-physicist bloggers. He speaks in vague and general terms about "fudge factors" and does not go into any detail about any particular models, of which there are hundreds! In fact, he's said:

quote:

My objections to the global warming propaganda are not so much over the technical facts, about which I do not know much, but it’s rather against the way those people behave and the kind of intolerance to criticism that a lot of them have. I think that’s what upsets me.

As far as I know the only substantive attempt at challenging the projections has been Lindzen's cloud-iris theory, a blind alley that got a perfunctory white-knighting by fellow skeptic Spencer and a roasting from everyone else.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

This is stupid. You can scrap half the contributors to the IPCC report following your logic.

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/report/WG1AR5_AnnexV_FINAL.pdf

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Strudel Man posted:

the Descartes prize bit sounds like it would be climate-related, but who really knows.

It's a science prize. The paper Bengtsson contributed to which was one of the award winners that year was about climate.

Lagotto posted:

This is stupid. You can scrap half the contributors to the IPCC report following your logic.

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/report/WG1AR5_AnnexV_FINAL.pdf

No, actually you can't. They worked with a large number of climatologists who agreed with their findings for the report.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Hello Sailor posted:

Yes, I read his Wikipedia page and CV before I posted, but thanks. You'll note Wikipedia also specifically mentions his training is in meteorology. Yes, those are related fields. Yes, he also has interests in climatology and has attached his name to some climatology papers. However, his training is not in climatology. He is, in fact, not qualified to comment on climatology.

Yeah, climate scientists will use data from meterologists, and if the met. guys collected/prepared the raw data then they'd get a citation credit even if they didn't have much involvement in the modelling/analysis. This is a normal part of scientific journal article writing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sitchensis posted:

Who cares, I'm going to die anyway, I might as well enjoy it, even if I will have less time to enjoy than if I did give up my horrible habits.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Illuminti posted:

So with absolutely no evidence you are calling him an liar. More than that you are accusing him of lying with the goal of cynically smearing other climate scientist for the agenda of I guess Big Oil? The only information we have is from a well respected scientist saying he has been harassed and ostracized by his former colleagues and peers. I would assume the assumption for a person of his caliber would be that he's not a lying shill and should at least be afford a modicum of respect. But you are illustrating perfectly the mindset of the people who are harassing and cutting off ties with them. He's guilty by association, he's strayed from the true path, therefore he is wrong and the assumption should be has an evil agenda or is getting paid.
:stare:

I'm not accusing him of being an outright "lying shill", or having an "evil agenda", or whatever strawmen you've decided to to sharpen your argumentative scythe against today. Rather, I'm simply not automatically defaulting to believing his claim as a bona fide legal definition of harassment due to whatever potential negative interaction he may have had with some members of the climate science community. We have no evidence other than his claim of harassment to judge the validity of that claim. Harassment is not a binary term of course, there are many reasons why someone could claim to be harassed and not have it meet a reasonable standard of proof without invoking any conspiracy theories. You've assuming he was harassed, then assuming this harassment was widespread, then making the leap that this supposed harassment brings into question the evidence against his position - you do know you can be an obnoxious prick in your interactions with someone and still have the opinion you're forwarding be substantially more valid, right?

However, you're going far beyond simply defending his right to have an opinion which may be an outlier compared to the majority of climate researchers. You're using his claim of harassment as prima facie evidence that not only did/does said harassment exist, but it's a key piece of evidence that the entire field of climate science is politically motivated to a substantial degree. It's almost hilarious you can't see the irony in claiming I'm insinuating he's "guilty by association", when in fact you're painting an entire field of climate scientists - a field that had its theories and models based on decades of research from thousands of contributors across continents and cultural backgrounds consistently verified - as therefore politically tainted solely as a result of his accusation that currently has no detail behind it to objectively judge its validity.

I mean, holy living gently caress - you actually talk about "not affording him the respect he deserves" because I simply don't immediately grant Bengtsson's claim of harassment complete credence out of the gate...then proceed to suspect the entire field of climatology as engaged in a worldwide conspiracy to jettison evidence-based science in favor of blind politically-motivated group-think. So, automatically grant him respect - but basically poo poo on every other scientist involved in the majority opinion.

There isn't a :psyduck: big enough.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Illuminti posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/16/rejected-climate-science-paper-environmental-research-letters

quote:

"The decision not to publish had absolutely nothing to do with any 'activism' on the part of the reviewers or the journal, as suggested in The Times' article; the rejection was solely based on the content of the paper not meeting the journal's high editorial standards. The referees selected to review this paper were of the highest calibre and are respected members of the international science community. The comments taken from the referee reports were taken out of context and therefore, in the interests of transparency, we have worked with the reviewers to make the full reports available."
[...]
"Looking at all the comments by the reviewer they suggested how the paper might be rewritten in the future to make it a solid contribution to science. That's not suppressing a dissenting view, it's what scientists call peer review."

Could it be that this row is actually more over one guy's bruised ego than climate science?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Deleuzionist posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/16/rejected-climate-science-paper-environmental-research-letters

Could it be that this row is actually more over one guy's bruised ego than climate science?

I only saw a bit of the front page Times article this morning but I recall it said something about it being just like the "infamous Climategate scandal". So basically a bunch of made-up bullshit, I guess?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I confess I am confused by the Bengtsson conversation. Isn't the timeline of events something like this:

- respected 79 year old meteorologist joins an explicitly political lobbyist group (which refuses to disclose its funders)
- submits paper to a scientific journal in which he apparently supports the aims of the lobbyist group, by whom he is now presumably paid
- paper is rejected because it does not say anything new or innovative
- meteorologist gets upset
- meteorologist makes unspecified claims of harassment (plausible and wholly unremarkable)
- meteorologist resigns from lobbying group three weeks after joining, stating that he fears for his safety in this McCarthyist era of science.

It is naive to assume that science is not politicized. That would assume that science is acting independently of the economy or any landscape of human interest, neither of which are possible. I first became aware of and interested in climate change in 1989. One of the things I did at that time was to interview a set of leading scientists and policy makers on the east coast of the US. I did this in partnership with Oxfam. I was not trying to do something statistically significant. I was just trying to learn and approaching the question ethnographically. I interviewed about 25 people ranging from Harvard/MIT, etc. physical and life scientists to policy makers from the World Bank, EPA, Kennedy School, etc.

One of the questions I asked in what were hour long interviews was "do you feel science is effected by the political landscape?" Interestingly every single one of the scientists answered that of course it was and went on to say exactly how they felt that worked. Every single one of the policy makers said no. There was some confusion about scientific method on the one hand, and research as a process on the other. Chomsky, for instance, went with "science is a harsh mistress" and the notion that the scientific process itself couldn't be compromised. Of course he has an investment in that particular point of view and it is a useful distinction. The "hard" scientists all talked about the politicization of the research process distinct from the scientific method.

Consensus and peer review aren't really the same thing. Bengtsson did not like his peer review. After having joined an explicitly political lobbying organization, he then cherry picked one remark from his peer review categorizing it as "political". He did not refer to the comments having to do with the lack of quality about the paper itself for some odd reason. There were apparently no new findings and it was therefore not considered to "forward" the thinking in the field. This is not at all uncommon as a type of comment in peer review. I cannot find the contested paper and would like to read it if anyone has a link. He has not published it open access or anything apparently, probably because he wants it to be peer reviewed. It was peer reviewed and rejected.

There are problems with the peer review process and it is a fairly recent requirement. Nature was still publishing non-reviewed articles as late as 1973. The process is not meant to make it easier to publish. When it works it greatly improves the quality of the product, but can also be subject to all sorts of systemic issues. The process can function to suppress findings that challenge existing and emerging paradigms. It could even be considered to do that by design, functioning as a rightfully conservative dynamic in the system. This does not seem to be an example of that, though that is what is claimed by Bengtsson. The confusion between consensus and peer review can also lead to a "Star Chamber" sort of environment. Something like that may have really happened regarding his choice to join a lobbying group and then publish to forward their agenda. It is not likely to be the source of his paper getting rejected, which is probably what he is really upset about.

It might be important to understand that Bengtsson's view is explicitly political. He is worried about economic impact and says so explicitly.

I can well imagine that he has received a negative response from what he regards as his community because:
- he joined what is by its own admission and definition a lobbying organization
- he then submitted a paper supporting the views of that lobbying organization to a scientific journal
- he responded very poorly to peer review, apparently ignoring, or at least failing to comment publicly on the scientific portion of the review altogether
- after having taken a set of very explicitly political actions, he then claims that the rejection of his paper is based on the politicization of science

His own point of view and actions are explicitly political. He is not attempting to address the science. He is concerned about the political and economic impact of the findings and explicitly says so. His actions demonstrate that. He is then confused by what he perceives as a political response to his position and actions. This has nothing to do with whether he is sincere or anything of the sort as an individual. The sincerity and vested interests of the lobbying group he chose to join is a different matter altogether.

What is most confusing is why he thinks any of this is unusual in science or the history of science. An amusing example to consider is Lavoisier's response to Mesmer. Bengtsson is also one guy changing his mind, or developing his point of view, primarily based on this political stance. Bengtsson is not a Lavoisier or Galileo. It is probably more accurate to compare him to someone attempting to advocate keeping a legacy paradigm in place in the face of an emerging one. Hard to say though. Again, it would be really great to read the rejected paper. It is only newsworthy because of the politicization, in which he is a primary participant, not because of the science. The science itself is getting deleted in the process, in great part due to his own actions and what seems to be a fair amount of hyperbole.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 16, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Sogol posted:

I confess I am confused by the Bengtsson conversation. Isn't the timeline of events something like this:

- respected 79 year old meteorologist joins an explicitly political lobbyist group (which refuses to disclose its funders)
- submits paper to a scientific journal in which he apparently supports the aims of the lobbyist group, by whom he is now presumably paid
- paper is rejected because it does not say anything new or innovative
- meteorologist gets upset
- meteorologist makes unspecified claims of harassment (plausible and wholly unremarkable)
- meteorologist resigns from lobbying group three weeks after joining, stating that he fears for his safety in this McCarthyist era of science
Move (1) between (4) and (5). The paper was submitted last year, before any of this and the review process was completed in February and apparently what prompted him to join GWPF. GWPF then CCed the review comment to the Times, which published a single sentence from the comment to make it seem like it was being rejected solely on the grounds that it would give ammunition to deniers, and not because it was making invalid comparisons and not stating anything beyond the obvious. I don't think Bengtsson's arguing in bad faith because of fossil money or whatever. He's been trending "we should be more modest" -> outright skeptic for a few years now.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 16, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Elotana posted:

Move (1) between (4) and (5). The paper was submitted last year, before any of this and the review process was completed in February and apparently what prompted him to join GWPF. GWPF then CCed the review comment to the Times, which published a single sentence from the comment to make it seem like it was being rejected solely on the grounds that it would give ammunition to deniers, and not because it was making invalid comparisons and not stating anything beyond the obvious. I don't think Bengtsson's arguing in bad faith because of fossil money or whatever. He's been trending "we should be more modest" -> outright skeptic for a few years now.

Thank you.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Impossible to come to any concrete conclusions without reading the paper itself. The review comment that was made public is a little specific -- we know that the paper covers climate sensitivity, one of the great unknowns in climate science. It apparently synthesizes the methods of three papers Otto 2013 and two papers that I am not immediately familiar with by Gregory in 2004 & 2008. The Otto 2013 paper was incredibly important as it was coauthored by a large number of IPCC lead authors, and it dropped climate sensitivity estimates dramatically (this has been a constant refrain from me, known to the one or two people who actually read my posts). The Otto 2013 study is not in AR5 due to deadlines. Bengtsson then compared these three papers with AR4 and AR5 estimates of climate sensitivity, by the looks of the review.

The fault found with the paper by the review comment that was made public is that (1) it is not new, (2) that they aren't comparing like versus like (observations vs models!), and (3) that the paper should have discussed the reasons behind the mismatch rather than focus on the mismatch itself (which shines a bad light on the field).

One critique that certainly is invalid is citing Cowtan 2013 because that is limited in its corrections, both in geography and in terms of observational data (singularly corrected the land-based NCDC, satellites unaffected). Saying that comparing observational data versus models is apples versus pears seems like a view that is detached a bit from reality. The implication of "true global means" is that the observations are somehow a less than true reflection of the planet.

The statement that it is not novel, but merely a re-tread of past studies could hold water and would be the best argument, if true. Doing simple data comparisons is better purposed for a blog, rather than a scientific journal. I would hope and expect that Otto was allowed to comment on his submission, and hopefully all of the reviews are made public as the publisher said she will try to do. If the comment we are reading is from Otto or from Gregory (or one of the coauthors of either of those two), this critique should hold much less water.

The final critique is alarming, and indeed this whole sentence is chill-inducing: "I have rated the potential impact in the field as high, but I have to emphasise that this would be a strongly negative impact, as it does not clarify anything but puts up the (false) claim of some big inconsistency, where no consistency was to be expected in the first place." The lynchpin of that sentence is the parenthetical "false." If the paper is either true or its accuracy is plausible/debatable, then this is a scandal, as this criqitue boils down to "this would get a lot of bad attention for us if published." His comments on consistency are also questionable, but its hard to be shocked by it without reading the paper.

All that being said, the Times of London story seems to be very light on reporting. My question would be concerning the objectivity of the piece. It's behind a paywall, but it doesn't seem like the reporter was provided with review comments (which are confidential -- even the authors are confidential), nor does it seem like he contacted the publication. Kind of like a person who is getting a divorce just telling you their side of the story. A biased opinion about mistreatment isn't exactly front page news without doing background reporting to figure out if the claim is legitimate. And yes I realize my stridency for objectivity is ironic in relation to the fact that alarmists generally hold very little regard for it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Arkane posted:

And yes I realize my stridency for objectivity is ironic in relation to the fact that alarmists generally hold very little regard for it.

Right back at ya, cupcake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hello Sailor posted:

What you just typed could not possibly be further from the truth. To be absolutely, crystal clear: you have no clue what you are talking about. Many of the lead authors of the IPCC report are meteorologists. Don't trust me on that, check yourself. It is not a "related" field to the climate debate, it is one of the most vital fields. The Max Planck Institute is world-renowned. The idea that he cannot comment on climate sensitivity is laughable. He's been working in the field for decades. And guess what? The AR5 lead author on the climate model chapter works for the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Jochem Marotzke.

• Locked thread