Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

Brittany was also my attempt, I did some shenanigans though, legitimized my bastard son, was forced to abdicate to him before making him rebel, then I abdicated with him to my original guy using the strategy suggested and I ended up as the Merchant Republic of Brittany. Lost the election though because my heir's prestige was in the toilet after being forced to abdicate.

Do you have any DLC? All of it? I am missing Sunset Invasion, and someone on the Pdox forums says turning it on made the trick work for him, but another user said it works for him and he doesn't have SI at all.

I went to the original version, and switched back to the beta, but it's still the same problem :sigh:.

e: Trip report #7: I ended up doing the exact same thing you did, on the beta patch and with all my regular DLC turned on. My heir's imprisonment chance was 100% though so I just let him stay mayor and gave up Brittany to my him first from my bishop's rebellion, then redid the trick with Konan II as the mayor and it worked!

Bad news though, I incurred a huge tyrant penalty from trying to imprison my heir so everyone hates me :(. This might be rough.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
The AI is so stupid sometimes. As the doge I was just assassinated by my brother, who was next in line but had no prestige, and I didn't have enough money to fund his election yet.

I did not know he was plotting against me before he succeeded.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
loving RIP

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BioMe posted:

He is born in purple and even if he wasn't he's only got a sister.

He has a bunch of traits opposing his father's, so it's just the most politically important person right now going "no gently caress you dad" and throwing a wrench at the world.

Haha, that's amazing. This is the best game.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just found a couple of screenshots from last month of probably the most awesome sequence of events that's happened to me in relation to what's currently happening in the game.
I started as Dyre the Stranger and after a couple of generations I had expanded enough to challenge the Basileus and conquer Constantinople.
Just a few days before my doomstack met his I got this event:

:unsmith:
I like to imagine they actually recognized each other on the battlefield.

I decided to keep the war going longer than I needed just to get some more gold/prestige/piety and then during a battle this happened:

:smith:
Maybe this wouldn't have happened if he wasn't so unremarkable. My emperor probably forgot he even had another son there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chevalier Cat posted:

Provinces in Spain and Ireland change based on the culture controlling them as well. Cordoba/Qurtubah, for example.

Most of the Byzantine Empire has a different name depending on if it's a Greek, Italian, or Turkish ruler.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

So I know there are a million reasons (good ones, too) to create merchant republics within your domain. Is there any good reason to do so for the religious equivalent? Like, maybe over a holy site for your religion it's a good idea to hand that county/duchy over to a priest in the area? Or is that a waste since you have to maintain your relationship with them or they'll start dumping money into the religious ruler's coffers?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Techno Remix posted:

So I know there are a million reasons (good ones, too) to create merchant republics within your domain. Is there any good reason to do so for the religious equivalent? Like, maybe over a holy site for your religion it's a good idea to hand that county/duchy over to a priest in the area? Or is that a waste since you have to maintain your relationship with them or they'll start dumping money into the religious ruler's coffers?

Depends. With Catholics is is a bit of a mixed bag, since a church vassal will neither pay taxes nor provide troops as levy if he likes the pope more than you. With Muslims you don't get too many benefits out of creating a church vassal over a feudal vassal, since Muslims have one tax rate for church and feudal vassals. I think there are no mechanical differences between church and feudal vassals at all as a Muslim.

With everybody else, creating only church vassals was long considered an exploit, that's how good it was. Church vassals have no opinion penalty for wrong government type, pay more and higher taxes for a lower opinion penalty than feudal vassals, can never inherit lands or claims, and the church vassal AI is generally not too expansionist. Having only church vassals made for a very stable, profitable and peaceful realm, which is why Paradox implemented a cap on the number of higher ranking church vassals you can have in a realm.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Techno Remix posted:

There's no inherent benefit to making a holy site a theocracy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, if you give it to your religious head specifically, that's 5% moral authority, which is nice. Mainly useful for the smaller religions though, since Christian and Islam leaders tend to either already have a holy site and/or are above you and can't be given your stuff anyway.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DStecks posted:

It might be a good idea just because the holy sites tend to be in powerful duchies, so they should go to the most trustworthy dukes, the theocrats.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, I'm Ivar the Boneless, still bloody from his conquest of Sjaelland (the island with a Holy Site) and reformer of the Norse Faith at 59. I'm king of Ireland (low Crown authority) and can create Sweden. Apparently I can't change hereditary law in Ireland until 881 (created in 871).

What would happen if I create Sweden? Will I be able to change hereditary law? And will it take over gavelkind in Ireland if I make King of Sweden my primary title?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, I'm Ivar the Boneless, still bloody from his conquest of Sjaelland (the island with a Holy Site) and reformer of the Norse Faith at 59. I'm king of Ireland (low Crown authority) and can create Sweden. Apparently I can't change hereditary law in Ireland until 881 (created in 871).

What would happen if I create Sweden? Will I be able to change hereditary law? And will it take over gavelkind in Ireland if I make King of Sweden my primary title?

No, you can't change hereditary law for ten years after making the title. Sweden would be on its own timer. On the other hand, if you wait out Ireland and switch it then create Sweden, Sweden will inherit Ireland's laws. This is particularly nice for Crown Authority because you can then raise the CA in the new kingdom another step immediately after creating the title, if you so choose.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DrPop posted:

Strudel Man's got it. The patronymic name doesn't show up in the "killed by" popup, but the character full-view will show it. I promise you that Arsenios whacked the right Idris. :)

I'm also a CK2+ refugee and I'm finding HIP to be quite enjoyable. I believe they have some form of gender equality module included in the pack, but I have yet to use it.

Hmm. Do they do titular stuff or mess with duchy borders? Cause I think some of the vanilla kingdoms are made to gently caress with pretty borders folk.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jazerus posted:

No, you can't change hereditary law for ten years after making the title. Sweden would be on its own timer. On the other hand, if you wait out Ireland and switch it then create Sweden, Sweden will inherit Ireland's laws. This is particularly nice for Crown Authority because you can then raise the CA in the new kingdom another step immediately after creating the title, if you so choose.

Thanks. Here's hoping the old man lasts 5 more years. I'm going to make him hide under his bed for the rest of the decade. No more fun for him.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. Here's hoping the old man lasts 5 more years. I'm going to make him hide under his bed for the rest of the decade. No more fun for him.

Keep in mind you can still be killed in battle even if you're not leading one of the flanks. You might as well go full berserker.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

DStecks posted:

If you crank up your city and church taxes to max like I do, having a couple of theocracies giving you tax ducats as Norse works out pretty well!

e: Oh I just read holy site, welp

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gort posted:

Keep in mind you can still be killed in battle even if you're not leading one of the flanks. You might as well go full berserker.

This is something I've been wondering about. If you aren't leading one of the flanks, how does the game decide/know you are there? Is it if you were leading a portion of a stack that got combined into a larger stack, which you may not be leading?

If so, how can you make sure that your character isn't in the battle if you want to play it safe? My guess is create another stack somewhere else, assign your character to it, and then either have that stack sit by itself or disband the stack?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm reaaally not sure if the game is capable of handling these mechanics. The retreat of technology as demographics are overturned in the West, the political dismantling of Hellenic education and philosophy by Justinian and the state religious institutes, the constant Game of Thrones megawar-level revolts, and, you know, the rise of Islam. Something this culturally and politically and economically fluid definitely won't benefit from a series of mechanics based around rigid unbreakable hierarchy.

People are coming up with good ways to get around those problems, save for the guy that shoots down any historical idea with "the b-b-butterfly effect wont let it happen :qq:". The Rise of Islam is going to be a slippery slope though.

I am digging the work the guy has put in so far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

People are coming up with good ways to get around those problems, save for the guy that shoots down any historical idea with "the b-b-butterfly effect wont let it happen :qq:". The Rise of Islam is going to be a slippery slope though.

I am digging the work the guy has put in so far.

The problem is people are trying to way over complicate things so it can be a perfect Alt history game.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What would pre-Islamic Persia, Africa and Arabia be like? A mix of Christian and Zoroastrian?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

What would pre-Islamic Persia, Africa and Arabia be like? A mix of Christian and Zoroastrian?

And pre-Islamic pagan, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shadeoses posted:

Judaism was big in Arabia.

Well reasonably sized, they even ruled occasionally.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

This is something I've been wondering about. If you aren't leading one of the flanks, how does the game decide/know you are there? Is it if you were leading a portion of a stack that got combined into a larger stack, which you may not be leading?

If so, how can you make sure that your character isn't in the battle if you want to play it safe? My guess is create another stack somewhere else, assign your character to it, and then either have that stack sit by itself or disband the stack?

You can be in charge of an individual unit, but still under a flank leader. You can see this if you go into the reorganize menu on a stack of soldiers, each retinue/barony/vassal unit has a little leader portrait box that you might end up in. As an independent ruler you should only lead in units from your demesne, but I've rarely seen that happen. You can easily check if you're leading any army by looking on your character's portrait for a sword and shield, which upon mouseover tells you where you are leading an army.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 15, 2014

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Is there any reason you'd want to lead your own army aside from "I really want my heir on the throne"?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hellsjudge posted:

loving RIP

Ah, so it works! Excellent. On the topic of this, I'm currently at work so I can't check myself, but does the trick employed by hellsjudge and the original poster on Paradox Plaza work for King-tier feudal lords? (e.g. the Maharaja of Lanka/Ceylon) Provided I give all my counties other than my intended capital and the actual capital - that'll be taken from me - to my heir to look after for me, naturally.

EDIT:

Arrhythmia posted:

Is there any reason you'd want to lead your own army aside from "I really want my heir on the throne"?

Because it's better to be a manly warrior King/Sultan/etc. than a sissy diplomat/pansy one :black101:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arrhythmia posted:

You can get some cool events. There's one where you can choose to specialize in a certain type of combat (defense, flanks, etc.), one that gives you 100 prestige, one that gives you the Patient trait, etc.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The best event is that if you have a mediocre martial education, participating in battles can upgrade it. I think it goes up straight to maximum? I don't think you can go from misguided warrior to tough soldier or whatever.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TaurusTorus posted:

The best event is that if you have a mediocre martial education, participating in battles can upgrade it. I think it goes up straight to maximum? I don't think you can go from misguided warrior to tough soldier or whatever.

That might've been the case previously, but I'm pretty sure I actually went from 'tough soldier' to 'skilled tactician' (then to 'brilliant strategist' right before he was killed in battle, heh, so clearly not so brilliant) in my Georgian game about a month ago, actually. Not sure if that was always the case though, but it seems to be now, at least.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

TaurusTorus posted:

You can definitely go from Misguided Warrior to Tough Soldier, it happened to me in my Muslim Sicily game just recently. That king went from a 9 to a 16 thanks to that + jihad and veteran traits. It was in HIP, but I doubt that's the kind of thing they'd add.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wait, does HiP not work with the Old Gods?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

PrinceRandom posted:

It should, what's it doing?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

catlord posted:

It should, what's it doing?

I can't start later than 1066. Is that WAD?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well gently caress. My super genius(20-33-20-17-15) son died...because I was using him to fabricate claims. Lesson learned. Oh well, he was 46 and did a steller job of passing on his genes. My new heir is his...youngest grandson(jeez) who is a sickly one year old genius so we'll see if he turns out any good(I love Tanistry). My character(Welsh/Norse is a great combo) is 65 and has been possessed like 35-40 years and I haven't gotten a single event and everyone(Norse) loves him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PrinceRandom posted:

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm presently doing an HIP Zoroastrian game, so, no, that's definitely not how it's supposed to be. Heck, VIET does a bunch of stuff specifically for The Old Gods starts, like Zoroastrian stuff and reviving the Silk Road (which collapses more or less immediately after the 1066 start).

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

PrinceRandom posted:

I started my current game in 1150 and it works fine.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Man, I am so glad I gave this game another shot now that I have some spare time, I'm really taking a shine to the vikings playing as Ostlandet.

So, just one question. Some time ago I posted asking about what were some good areas to focus on for research, and when I dig up the reply I got I'll post it here. But what should I be focusing on? Increasing demesne size is always nice, I imagine--is there anything else that stands out?

e: OK, here's what I got as answers way back in August:

Ofaloaf posted:

You have to actively invest in research now, so I dunno how autopilot would work anymore. Either way, legalism is a good way of increasing your demesne size cap, and military organization's good if you have Legacy of Rome and so can raise and maintain your own retinues.

SpRahl posted:

Well for cultural tech I tend to focus on "Legalism" for increased Demense size or "Noble Customs" for increased vassal opinion. "Church customs" usually is not be worth it since bishops generally like you and "Tolerance" helps in situations you should be avoiding from happening anyway.

For military tech mostly "Military Organization" for moral increased retinue size and eliminating supply limit when attacking Pagans. Other than that I usually focus on whatever unit type my culture specializes in (Heavy Infantry for Scandinavians, Cavalry for Franks or Greeks etc) siege weapons might be good but I havent noticed a huge difference with it.

Economic probably Castle infrastructure, if you are a Republic I assume trade practices is useful.

Does this advice still hold up?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 15, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

I started my current game in 1150 and it works fine.

I meant before but I found it. The Old Gods was beneath the 1066 start.

And some of the province changes in this map look even worse than vanilla :eek:

The Tengris are still the boring Pagans in terms of flavor it looks like.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

I meant before but I found it. The Old Gods was beneath the 1066 start.

And some of the province changes in this map look even worse than vanilla :eek:

The Tengris are still the boring Pagans in terms of flavor it looks like.

I'm pretty sure you can choose between SMWH and the full VIET install, as they're not compatible. The new map is loving terrible, the VIET immersion (or events maybe, I can't recall which module isn't compatible) adds a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

I'm pretty sure you can choose between SMWH and the full VIET install, as they're not compatible. The new map is loving terrible, the VIET immersion (or events maybe, I can't recall which module isn't compatible) adds a whole bunch.

I think I chose everything but SHWH and the character portrait thing. I don't know what's left there to change the map.

• Locked thread