Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
That right there is my grandmother and anything that wasn't nailed down in Sheboygan county. That woman must be a closet pyro with the volume and frequency of things she threw on the burn pit, my mom gets visibly upset when she thinks of all the antique furniture that went up in flames every time Gramma decided "it's too old, get rid of it!"

I really hope the couple that bought their house throws a cement pad over the old burn pit, they were farmers so it's likely a mini-Superfund site with all the poo poo that would have wound up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My dad owns a farm (Crawford County, WI) and in the 80s/90s he burned the trash. Anything that couldn't be burned got thrown in a ditch. You could find old vehicles, tires, farm equipment, dead livestock, extra fertilizer/herbicide/pesticide (caused a few livestock to end up in the ditch...oops) in his ditches. One neighbor had a house a a couple sheds in his ditches. These days people in the area are a little more environmentally conscious. Also they found that there are places that actually pay you for scrap metal!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was a kid in the 80's every house had a big old steel barrel out behind the back lane. This wasn't in a rural area, or even suburban, this was right in the core of a major city. There was an undeveloped lot behind all the houses on our street and that's where we all had our barrels. People burned garden waste and sometimes garbage. It could get super nasty in terms of smoke depending on what people were burning. Also the barrels were just sitting against the edge of basically a dense over-grown urban forest. After the 3rd time the woods caught on fire the FD and city just took the barrels away and told the neighborhood to knock it off.

When I was in Malaysia this was the norm for everything. You haven't lived until you smell tires, plastics, and human waste burning in a barrel or just a pile on the median.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Don't you Europeans (or at least Australians) have weird infrastructure laws that says everyone has to have fiber by the next decade or something? All we have are grants that line Comcast's pocket and do little else.

Australia HAD that, god knows what the current bunch of chucklefucks in charge are going to do with it.

In other news, my plans are in for council approval, thats gonna take 6-8 weeks, then theres another week or two for Development approval then its full steam ahead turning dirt and pouring my $25,000 cement slab.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My best burn pit story is about a friend that was contracted to demolish a bunch of small cabins on a lake property so the new owner could make a huge lot for his mega cabin. The small cabins were torn in half and loaded onto a truck with a back hoe, and hauled away to my friends lot where they were burned. It was amazing to watch them burn up but as one half was getting well under way we heard a beep-beep-beep start from the pit. The smoke alarm was warning us about the fire; poor smoke alarm.

Not an amazing story, but it struck us funny at the time. He did salvage what he could from the buildings but they were old and worn so most of it just went into the pit.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I will plant a tree in penance for my environmental sins. In fairness, it was only a few little offcuts, and it was awfully fun to watch them go up.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So it looks like we are buying the house with the weird power strip. The inspector claimed it was the best home he saw in the last month, and I already live in the same neighborhood in a home built by the same builder about 60 years ago. The guy did take care of it from what I can tell though, so I hope to keep any updates here to a minimum.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Just ran across this video http://www.wimp.com/windowinstallation/

I'm having trouble picturing that none of the people installing the windows noticed that this would be a problem.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Looks like a drat fine anti-burglary measure to me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So recently I've started redecorating my apartment. I've found the usual horrors that I'd expect — wallpaper fixed to anything but the wall, silicon sealant used as a structural material, windows with 1/4" daylight gap — but the wiring I'd always assumed was in okay shape. It's all in ugly surface ducting so I'm going to pull the ducting off, get some proper sub-surface ducting, and bury the cabling in the walls (which are plastered on the hard as is usual in these buildings).

So last night I start pulling the top plates off the plastic ducting, and I think to myself "Now, I'm not absolutely up to speed with ring main circuits, but this doesn't look quite right." So I call my Dad, who is. His reactions as I describe things to him range from "...that's an interesting way of wiring that," through "I don't understand why you'd do that at all," and all the way up to "That is extremely dubious practice." Not encouraging.

So the deal is with British standards, you wire sockets in a ring main. You're allowed one double socket as a spur from any other point on the ring (either junction box, or from a double socket on the ring itself). So far, I have discovered that I have five sockets on a single mega-spur. Two of those sockets are on secondary spurs from two others in this mega-spur. I am concerned, at this point, that it's going to start becoming fractal. The light switching system appears to have been wired by a colour-blind monkey. I appear to have far too many cables for the circuit breakers in the fuse box (and, frankly, the fusing system on that makes no loving sense either, with fuses that are marked 'sockets' that don't turn off all sockets, and another fuse market 'fire wall sockets' which is helpful, since this could actually mean any of three walls...) and at this point it seems like the only possible solution is a complete rewire — which is going to be pain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shouldn't your landlord be taking care of that??

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Shouldn't your landlord be taking care of that??

I don't rent.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jeherrin posted:

I don't rent.
But you said?

Jeherrin posted:

my apartment.

Oooooooohhhhhhhh :v:

e: But then you also said!
Get yourself together, man! :argh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Who in Britain calls them apartments. They're flats, dude.

But yeah, we still use miles and feet and inches. Also pounds and stones. We're only nominally metric; we're mostly just confused. All our road signs are imperial. But then, it WAS our empire.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hey, no, our funny-sounding cousins to the east still uphold the great tradition of nonsensical imperial measures. I can't get behind the "stone as a unit of weight" thing, though. That's just madness.

E: Goddamnit beaten on stones

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

Who in Britain calls them apartments. They're flats, dude.

But yeah, we still use miles and feet and inches. Also pounds and stones. We're only nominally metric; we're mostly just confused. All our road signs are imperial. But then, it WAS our empire.

Oh. Well, I just never know with you people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Even in America, it is possible to buy and own an apartment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always thought condo = a unit you buy apartment = a unit you rent. How do you buy an apartment? Other than buying an apartment building.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I always thought condo = a unit you buy apartment = a unit you rent. How do you buy an apartment? Other than buying an apartment building.

You buy an individual apartment in an apartment building. It's more common in inner cities, especially new york, but I know there are many privately-owned apartments in san francisco too.

My guess is that it's different from condos in that the building was originally constructed as an apartment building, and perhaps also the exact way the building and units are deeded? I'm not sure if there's also a different structure than the typical condo association for handling shared expenses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alterantely, I suppose you could be a landlord. Then you'd own at least one apartment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Not really. You can call whatever unit in a multi-family dwelling an apartment. A condo is a legal distinction of how the building is managed. It's like an HOA, with members who are residents and or owners. This association "owns" the common areas.

Apartments are typically owned/operated by a management company who, even if they sell individual units, do not allow self-management by the owners and residents.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All you people who are hating on certain units of measure can suck it. I walk at an average speed of 3 cubits per ohm-farad. :smug:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think it boils down to shared property, apartment = shared entry hallway, condo = separate entry.

All bets are off when you get to the west cost US where we have separate entry apartments due to the permitting weather.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

I think it boils down to shared property, apartment = shared entry hallway, condo = separate entry.

That's not at all the case. While most people use these terms interchangeably and incorrectly, it's all pretty simple.

If my explanation wasn't clear, just read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condominium

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

If my explanation wasn't clear, just read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom

"Shared space" :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Motronic posted:

Apartments are typically owned/operated by a management company who, even if they sell individual units, do not allow self-management by the owners and residents.

I wish this was the loving norm. I'll probably rent for the rest of my life because I want an objective professional managing the building, not a clique of building busy-bodies changing the rules and fees every year and basically being a vertical HOA with all the bullshit and drama that goes along with it.

Hell I wish the city just owned a ton of apartment buildings and sold/rented them as needed while being in charge of the building rules and upkeep.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I present the most amazing condensation line of all time:

air handler in the closet, looks like poo poo, but w/e I guess

Ok, that's kind of shoddy

"gently caress it"

:suicide:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That deserves an award.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What? No, you can't close the bathroom door! It needs to stay open so the condensation can drain into the sink!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I want to believe they made a matching notch in the door. :3:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
My grandfather owned several construction supply yards and was the middle man for a whole gently caress-ton of high end projects back in the 60's and 70's. Well, one of his major connections was with a brick yard and someone miss-fired concrete blocks that were suppose to be for a roadway retaining wall, so instead of weighing around 30lbs a piece they weigh almost 90lbs and naturally Cal-Trans rejected them. This was at the same time he was building a custom house with the "basement" level being completely cut into the side of the hill it's built on. He has the foundation the walls going to sit on over engineered to support a wall that's going to be three times as heavy, but "forgets" to tell the masons bidding the wall that each one of the 18x18 blocks in a wall that's going to be in a 60'x30'x15' wall will weigh almost three times as much as they should be. Now he wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat, he paid them almost double what they bid to make up for it and for a house that was built in 72 in southern CA and even today there are virtually no cracks in that wall even with 40 years of earthquakes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I present the most amazing condensation line of all time:

air handler in the closet, looks like poo poo, but w/e I guess

Ok, that's kind of shoddy

"gently caress it"

:suicide:

This is truly fantastic.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Nomination for Best In Thread, holy gently caress I'm dying over here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's a condensation line? Like I can assume what it does by the name, it's taking moisture from somewhere and dumping it in the sink, but what's it for?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What's a condensation line? Like I can assume what it does by the name, it's taking moisture from somewhere and dumping it in the sink, but what's it for?

When your AC chills air, a side effect is all the moisture condenses out of that air onto the cold AC bits like dew condensing in the morning. The AC needs to get rid of that somehow or it will just keep pooling up until it pours out all over your house. Normally this would be done by a pipe that goes outside or to a proper drain but this guy was in a hurry it seems.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

but this guy can fix it himself, its not like he's an idiot

Ftfy.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Holy gently caress, 5'd.

We have one from the dehumidifier in the basement. We estimate it drains a gallon a day on a "dry" day, more when it rains.

Less of an issue of poor construction but rather the fact that Rochester, NY is a goddamn swamp. At least we haven't had to install a pump yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When your AC chills air, a side effect is all the moisture condenses out of that air onto the cold AC bits like dew condensing in the morning. The AC needs to get rid of that somehow or it will just keep pooling up until it pours out all over your house. Normally this would be done by a pipe that goes outside or to a proper drain but this guy was in a hurry it seems.

Thanks, I assumed it would be AC or humid-climate related. At least it's going into a sink and not a dustpan?

\/ We don't know what the sink drains into!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 15, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The only thing making that better would be an orange Home Depot bucket at the end instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Missing Name posted:

Holy gently caress, 5'd.

We have one from the dehumidifier in the basement. We estimate it drains a gallon a day on a "dry" day, more when it rains.

Less of an issue of poor construction but rather the fact that Rochester, NY is a goddamn swamp. At least we haven't had to install a pump yet.

Better make sure it's in tip top shape- flash flood warnings all over the area this week!