Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Oracle posted:

That was mostly awesome. Its kind of sad in the most amazing way that Barrowman is the best father figure on this show to date. Faithful to his wife, loyal to his kids, accepts them for who they are...

Did his wife die before or after Thea was concieved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Yeah I think Quentin may be in the hospital for the first few eps of S3, or they start the season off with him getting a commendation after getting out of the hospital over the break.

Lance gets a promotion to chief to replace the one that died in the attack. Then he goes and buys a big spotlight to put on top of the precinct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was expecting the ship to explode for deaths 2 and 3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No he just shoots a giant flaming arrow in the sky with a Ballista, " SGT. ARM THE BALLISTA!".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isabel, Lance, and Sara/Slade on the Island.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Oracle posted:

They were trying way too hard with the handoff of the jacket to Laurel from Sarah. 'It fits!' 'Don't go getting any ideas.' Bleh.

Considering the fact that they straight up told us that Laurel is going to become Black Canary and have let us speculate all season when/if/how Sara is going to die, I thought it was an appropriately cheesy moment.

Also, I mean, come on.

And the three deaths were obviously Isabel, Thea Queen, and tumblr, which I can only assume literally exploded after that episode.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I hope he's not dead for real, he's probably the best actor they have in delivering the cheesiest lines with the most conviction.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The actual line they gave was "Later than you want, sooner than you think"

I'm pretty sure most people were expecting it tonight though so who knows.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That Flash trailer was weird, why does he have a kickass costume already? I hope they don't have him show up like that on day 1. I liked the progression of Arrow's look.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Oracle posted:

That was mostly awesome. Its kind of sad in the most amazing way that Barrowman is the best father figure on this show to date. Faithful to his wife, loyal to his kids, accepts them for who they are...

They were trying way too hard with the handoff of the jacket to Laurel from Sarah. 'It fits!' 'Don't go getting any ideas.' Bleh.

Why do people think Rochov's dead? He was on the sub and blew up the Amazo. He should be fine and on his way to Mother Russia.

Three deaths were Slade (island), Isabel, and possibly Lance at the end there. I can't think of any other named character deaths in this episode (the 'old' Thea I guess if you want to go copout).

Comedy option: death of the Olicity ship :mmmsmug:

Rochev is Summer Glau's character, not the mobster.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

homo punching bag posted:

That Flash trailer was weird, why does he have a kickass costume already? I hope they don't have him show up like that on day 1. I liked the progression of Arrow's look.

It's a preview designed to show his dope rear end costume and super speed fx. Also make Ollie the grumpy one and Barry the fun one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oracle posted:

Why do people think Rochov's dead? He was on the sub and blew up the Amazo. He should be fine and on his way to Mother Russia.

Rochev is not the Russian, it's Summer Glau's character. The Russian's name is Anatoli.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Did his wife die before or after Thea was concieved?

Thea is younger than Tommy by a few years, and Tommy's mom died when he was still super young, as I recall.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I believe the timeline is after Merlyn's wife died and when Moira found out about her husbands various affairs.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, the hook for the flashbacks is pretty insane, that's got me super loving curious. I mean of course the main storyline is super interesting as well, but without Slade. Where is it going?

I mean really the entire 2 seasons were Slade and Ollie, that's been resolved. We know the entire back story now and the result. Of course Slade will be back and there's still Merlyn.

Just realized this has only been 2 seasons. What the hell it feels longer.
I'm guessing S3 flashbacks will be Oliver and ARGUS in Hong Kong for a while. There's no way in hell Oliver is not gonna try to call home unless Waller is there to brow beat him into staying 'dead'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When Felicity pulled that syringe out was I the only one who was expecting her to stab herself to get mirakuru powers? Yes? Ahkay then.

Such a great hour. Everything happened that I wanted to happen. Uh, well, except Detective Lance getting stomach killed out of nowhere, I mean what was that?

Also Sara's just gonna...go off and assassinate people again now? And that's a...happy thing? Hehn?

But yeah otherwise, drat that was satisfying.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No kiss for Felicity? My god, come on, I have to wait for the next season for Oliver to finally give her just one kiss? I mean, what the hell does the girl have to do?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain why Oliver is poor now? I'm missing something here.

The Queen family + Walter's Bank(?) together own 50% of Queen Consolidated. He was co-CEO of the company. During that crisis he gave Isabelle control of the company, and she decided to kick the family from their mansion which was owned by the company for some reason. Their shares became worthless for some reason?

Like, how is that possible unless their entire wealth is put in the Queen Consolidated?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I honestly thought Nyssa poisoned Lance for a second, it really came out of no where. How do you not realize you have severe internal injuries for like 2 hours anyways?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cute n Popular posted:

How do you not realize you have severe internal injuries for like 2 hours anyways?

Adrenaline and shock I'd imagine. Not saying that's what happened though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

xerxus posted:

The Queen family + Walter's Bank(?) together own 50% of Queen Consolidated. He was co-CEO of the company. During that crisis he gave Isabelle control of the company, and she decided to kick the family from their mansion which was owned by the company for some reason. Their shares became worthless for some reason?

Like, how is that possible unless their entire wealth is put in the Queen Consolidated?

They mentioned something about diluting the shares. So I guess Glau issued thousands upon thousands of new shares and sold them to herself and anyone who isn't a Queen. I don't know if that flies in real life, but TV logic.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

xerxus posted:

There was a line during the episode where Oliver was trying to get Thea to sign some documents where the Queen lawyer said something about "but she's diluted the value of your shares to near-worthlessness" or something to that extent. Granted in the train station while Thea was waiting around the news anchor said Queen Consolidated's stock had bounced back so even if they were still tied up in Queen shares some of that wealth would be back?

Basically it was boardroom magic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

oh jay posted:

They mentioned something about diluting the shares. So I guess Glau issued thousands upon thousands of new shares and sold them to herself and anyone who isn't a Queen. I don't know if that flies in real life, but TV logic.

Somebody made a post or two about it when it happened. It's super illegal, and your shareholders would crucify you, it's basically really expensive suicide.

E:vvv Yeah, when you put it like that, though at the time we all had no idea what the actual gently caress.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But if your plan involves destroying the city you're probably not worried about that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Rochev is not the Russian, it's Summer Glau's character. The Russian's name is Anatoli.
Bah, like anyone can remember her character's name. I thought I was doing good with Isabel.

quote:

How do you not realize you have severe internal injuries for like 2 hours anyways?
Its possible he had his zyphoid process broken off and it finally lacerated his liver or something. Walking wounded is a thing.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
when does next season air

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

One thing I'm really curious about has to do with Amell's Q/A. Someone asked him to sum up the finale in three words and he chose "Wait, he's where?" and I've been trying to figure out how that could apply. Immediately I start thinking of Ollie ending up in nanda parbat (sp?) or something, but it could easily be anything by this point.

EDIT: spoiler bars just in case.

So I guess that answers that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cute n Popular posted:

I honestly thought Nyssa poisoned Lance for a second, it really came out of no where. How do you not realize you have severe internal injuries for like 2 hours anyways?

You don't really have the same sorts of sensors on the inside you do on the outside, and your various internal organs don't necessarily interact with your musculature in a meaningful sense. Some internal organs can basically explode and you won't feel a single thing beyond some minor weirdness. He probably thought he had a banged up rib or something, when getting hit with the level of force he did is like taking a metal fist fired out a naval cannon, and it destroyed his kidneys and liver. In real life pretty much any of the super hits that throw people across rooms and through furniture would kill someone. The throws, not *as* bad, but punches that do that poo poo? Kill shots, one and all. A bullet would be less deadly.

So he basically got murdered, walked around for a few hours kicking rear end, and then his body went "And oh by the way, you are literally soup on the inside right now. PEACE OUT!". It's kind of cool, because it's one of those things genre shows ignore for fun shots [Like hitting people in the head to knock them out. Do you know what the difference is between a blow that knocks someone out for a few seconds and one that kills them? Neither does science! Like walking? That's probably something you may have to relearn if you've been knocked unconscious by a blow to the head longer than it took you to read this post !] but would actually be insanely horrific to deal with.

So kudos to Arrow for showing it, and if they kill him I will burn their salmon ladder to the loving ground.

e: To the loving ground

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 15, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Just got done watching the season finale... Holy poo poo, the final Ollie vs Slade fight that flipped back and forth between them on the boat and present day alone was loving amazing. I would've loved if the entire episode was just that, but the rest of it was more or less great (there was nothing really bad about it). I also love that the last few minutes was nothing but setting up season 3's main (or main-ish depending on how big Thea/Malcom's plot will be) storylines between the past and present.

Fetus Tree posted:

when does next season air
I'm betting August/September since this season ended about the same time most shows' seasons end. Yeah, it'll be a long wait, especially since I imagine The Flash (which I hope is good, especially after the trailer) will start at about the same time. :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So just my unsolicited opinion, but I feel like season 2 was weaker than season 1. I liked the everything and the kitchen sink approach and pace they took on, and I feel like the season up until right about Barry Allen getting struck by lightning was really strong...but after that I think the show started to lose steam on the Sara/Laurel stuff, Zombie Roy and building everything around Slade.

Both Blood and Isabel were interesting characters (even though I really hated Glau in this series), but by the second half they were really just Slade lackeys. Blood's sudden reveal as an abused child driven too far felt like a lost opportunity, and the entire Isabel/Daddy Queen affair was drowned out by the entire event being a Slade master-plan. I could have lived with the season actually building to a Slade reveal and the "big bad" being Grundy, and let who Blood and Isabel were and how they frame Ollie as someone who can never live up to all everyone needs him to be be the driving theme.

On the other hand, by the end of the season this "I'm not a killer" stuff felt done. I can't remember the last episode I really thought Oliver was actually going to have to kill someone- let alone do it lightly- and it wasn't like there was some factor that led me to think Oliver was ever going to need to kill Slade in that final fight. I almost wish he had killed him just to remind us that Oliver was a person capable of it.

And last but not least- I liked Caity Lotz, but deciding not to off her made the final story much weaker. The obvious parallel between the island and present stories made sense, it would have set some obvious directions for Ollie and Laurel, and it simply made sense from what we actually knew about Slade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

For those who don't know, Warner Brothers almost made a Green Arrow movie way back when titled, "Supermax" where he would be fighting his way out of super villain jail. Nice call back.

hcreight posted:

I'm genuinely curious if the show's long game here is to rework that script into a story arc for the show.

You guys are aware that this film was actually made right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don't want Lance to die but I'm pretty happy that the show kinda addressed the issue of internal damages in a super hero fight. Well, cop/super solider fight.

But, as someone also said, almost nothing on television really deals with "knockout blows" that well. I'm a former Muay Thai and wrestling/grappling couch and it irks me a little every time a hero/character gets KTFO and continues fighting a short time later after be awoken. Most of these blows would put that person out for days with just the nausea and disorientation that follows, not to mention the larger effects of head trauma and concussions. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I've been cleaned knocked out and couldn't even think about sparring for a few days let alone throw a straight punch.

Then again, I fully understand this is a television show with near magic super archer and his band of satellite hacking super buddies. You go with what is cool/stylistic, not overtly realistic.

This right here also:

Boogaleeboo posted:

[Like hitting people in the head to knock them out. Do you know what the difference is between a blow that knocks someone out for a few seconds and one that kills them? Neither does science! Like walking? That's probably something you may have to relearn if you've been knocked unconscious by a blow to the head longer than it took you to read this post !] but would actually be insanely horrific to deal with.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 15, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

wrestling/grappling couch

Frankly, that's sofa king retarded.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Why would Roy even lie to Thea about working with the Arrow? Dude is literally saving the city from a gang of super soldier thugs, it's a good thing now!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

You guys are aware that this film was actually made right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

Done in 1992

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106950/?ref_=nm_knf_t4]1992[/url]

That's neat and all but Lockout really is the film that began as SUPERMAX.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
did it? well i learned something today

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eddain posted:

Why would Roy even lie to Thea about working with the Arrow? Dude is literally saving the city from a gang of super soldier thugs, it's a good thing now!

Was he still lying to her about not trying to be a vigilante like at the start of the season? I honestly don't know because I don't know what the possible alternative interpretation of the phonecall and subsequent "I have something important to do" from Felicity was...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

did it? well i learned something today

It went through a dozen rewrites eventually ditching Green Arrow altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - That movie wasn't amazing but it was like a baby Judge Dredd, and I had fun watching it. It's not half bad. It's worth a watch if you've got spare time to kill.

omg chael crash posted:

I don't want Lance to die but I'm pretty happy that the show kinda addressed the issue of internal damages in a super hero fight. Well, cop/super solider fight.

But, as someone also said, almost nothing on television really deals with "knockout blows" that well.

You know, I was honestly kinda hoping/expecting Slade, during the flashback scene when he had captured Ollie, to inject Ollie with one of the 'not-quite-there-yet' prototype mirikuru syringes. Like, a quarter dose before the ship exploded. That would totally explain Ollie's pseudo-superhuman durability.

This was a pretty solid episode. I was totally laughing as Roy was lying to Thea again. Seriously, this show's major theme is co-loving-mmunicate with people if you care about them or else you're 100% complicit in them being hurt/killed/damaged. Good for Thea for seriously loving off from all those white knight bitches. Bad for her for choosing to go with Merlyn, but out of everyone, he's lied to her the least, I think, right? Family member of the year.

They also got me with Ollie and Felicity for a while right at the beginning of the mansion scene. I was all, "Really, you sonofabitch, you're leaving her alone and not protecting ANOTHER of your friends?" As that scene was ending and he was walking out of there a part of me was hoping that it was a feint because of the planted bugs, and I was pretty stoked to see they went with that. I thought ninjas were going to ambush Slade at the house, but the way they did it was pretty solid (if riskier), too.

• Locked thread