Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Rose is now offering constructive advice and useful suggestions again. Well, a useful suggestion. A potentially contest-winning suggestion, in fact. :colbert:

I don't really argue that she's a strong character, because she's flawed in a lot of the same ways Blake is and reacts very badly to her enforced vulnerability, but she's one I totally understand.

Hah - just literally as we complain, a bonus chapter comes up and makes her suddenly be more reasonable AND save the day. :v: She's a bit eager to use Pauz or demons in general though. I admit, it's kind of funny, but I find Pauz just as unsettling as the Ur demon, possibly more in a way - and he's an incredibly minor demon, too.

I can't wait for Blake to get an implement so he can actually do 'real' magic. It seems like implements are what involve most of the more direct magic - Pretty much all Blake can do right now is just make wards, circles, lines to block things, and occasionally use something else's magic, unless he's willing to bleed all over the place or make an oath. Considering what a shepherd's crook can do, for example. I hope it's something interesting, someone suggested his bike or the keys to his bike, but I dunno. Then again, just an implement of a 'key' in general would probably have some very interesting applications, practically drowning in symbolism to bullshit new uses with - unlocking and locking more than just physical things. It seems that the best implements are extremely symbolic ones. I don't know if it would lead to a style of magic that's particularly useful to his current situations, though. Unless maybe you could extend the whole 'locking' thing to help with sealing away demons, which seems to be his current aspiration. Create some sort of method of binding a demon that involves a lock or a box or a door.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah, she was much better off this chapter. You know, actually expressing what she's feeling instead of being passive aggressive about it. Her suggestion seems like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth though. I mean, they've already got two demons they're not doing anything with at the moment. What's the point of bringing in a third?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 18, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
For one, a second demon gives them resources outside of the five champions (and resources Conquest might not be expecting, depending how seriously he's taking Blake's resistance to diabolism). For another, both Pauz and the Hyena - who isn't really a demon, unless we're going with fuzzy boundaries - are pretty dinky without their own established turf. Even an Erasur-class demon could really do a number on most any of Conquest's champions.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

For one, a second demon gives them resources outside of the five champions (and resources Conquest might not be expecting, depending how seriously he's taking Blake's resistance to diabolism). For another, both Pauz and the Hyena - who isn't really a demon, unless we're going with fuzzy boundaries - are pretty dinky without their own established turf. Even an Erasur-class demon could really do a number on most any of Conquest's champions.

Throwing the Eye, a creature of fire, in the warehouse with Ur, a creature of darkness, could be a really interesting method of killing one or both of them!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh, Evan, you know you want a snack. poo poo on that loving Hyena. :allears:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm glad Rose finally realized the level of sacrifice Blake made for her back at the police station.

As for summoning something, maybe that's Rose's burden. Being the dark half in their relationship.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Given that Blake and Rose are joined in a very complicated manner, what one does seems to affect the other. I don't think (6.6 spoilers) that Rose can summon a demon without it breaking Blake's vow to avoid that stuff. Which may be exactly what Conquest is aiming at, as a demonstration to those on the sidelines that they should aid Conquest against Blake.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Where did Blake vow not to summon demons? I'm not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it if he did.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Grouchy Fish posted:

Where did Blake vow not to summon demons? I'm not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it if he did.

He doesn't. He makes a promise to do his best to avoid diabloism as best he can (or something along those lines) but I believe that is the extent of it. Even in one of the latest chapters the Sphinx tries to pin him down and he says he can't make the same promises as his cabal because he has other ties.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Lyon posted:

He doesn't. He makes a promise to do his best to avoid diabloism as best he can (or something along those lines) but I believe that is the extent of it. Even in one of the latest chapters the Sphinx tries to pin him down and he says he can't make the same promises as his cabal because he has other ties.

Right. I should have been clearer in my post.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
New page!

Miniboss fight!

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Everyone disliked Rose's lack of ability to affect the world and her complaining, including her! Looks like she's going to start to do more than just talk going forward.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Well, at least it's not straight up demons she's using, just kind of generaly nasty Others. Now that it's happened though, it's really only a matter of time before she gets desperate and calls up something really bad.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So I hope the real Maggie is ok, because that's a loving impostor lol. The real question is who is that. The Duchamp girl with the faery familiar maybe? I have no clue.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

But Others and practitioners can't lie, and she says she is Maggie Holt.

edit: Well, they pay a cost for the lie.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SerSpook posted:

But Others and practitioners can't lie, and she says she is Maggie Holt.

edit: Well, they pay a cost for the lie.

Glamour lets you break that rule to an extent. And others can Lie, it's practitioners who cannot.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Glamour lets you break that rule to an extent. And others can Lie, it's practitioners who cannot.

Thinking about it, has it ever said one way or the other on this? I seem to recall that they cannot, but I might just be assuming.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They cannot act against their nature without consequences or at all depending on the Other, but they have no specific bars against telling lies.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm not sure that's the case - every time it's shown them interacting with an other, the other does the same sort of dance-around-the-truth all practitioners do, and i'm pretty sure that in several cases a spoken phrase is just flat out accepted as the truth from an Other in the same way you'd accept something a practitoner said flat out as the truth.

Meanie
Jul 2, 2007
Is it possible to get it on .epub or .mobi formats at all?
It really sucks big time reading on a "back-lit" screen... :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NecroMonster posted:

So I hope the real Maggie is ok, because that's a loving impostor lol. The real question is who is that. The Duchamp girl with the faery familiar maybe? I have no clue.

You sure about that? Remember, she needs two more rounds of blood and fire before her oath is done. She has every reason to call them down on Toronto instead, if she thinks she can duck the karma hit.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Now that would be real interesting.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Meanie posted:

Is it possible to get it on .epub or .mobi formats at all?
It really sucks big time reading on a "back-lit" screen... :(

The script I posted here will do it, you need to install python
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554789&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post429173757

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm not sure that's the case - every time it's shown them interacting with an other, the other does the same sort of dance-around-the-truth all practitioners do, and i'm pretty sure that in several cases a spoken phrase is just flat out accepted as the truth from an Other in the same way you'd accept something a practitoner said flat out as the truth.

Yeah, Conquest is an Other, isn't it? This whole game wouldn't make much sense if he could just renege on anything.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You sure about that? Remember, she needs two more rounds of blood and fire before her oath is done. She has every reason to call them down on Toronto instead, if she thinks she can duck the karma hit.

Hahahaha holycrap I didn't even think of that.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That's what I thought of immediately when she said that she liked the rules. It's not exactly an obscure hidden detail.

I wonder how the mechanics of spirit/real world magic reflection is supposed to work. Did Rose just make a random person go on a rampage? What's the real world version of the dolls?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

What was Maggie's oath again exactly?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Algid posted:

That's what I thought of immediately when she said that she liked the rules. It's not exactly an obscure hidden detail.

I wonder how the mechanics of spirit/real world magic reflection is supposed to work. Did Rose just make a random person go on a rampage? What's the real world version of the dolls?

The real-world versions of the dolls presumably will somehow coincidentally cease to be of any use to Conquest or the Sisters before they happen to be able to use them. Unless they are the real-world dolls (in the same way that Blake is the real-world Blake) in which case they're already trashed.

Midge has no reflection in the real-world. Presumably something will happen to cause destruction to the things that she destroyed.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Hawkgirl posted:

What was Maggie's oath again exactly?

Less of an oath and more of a prophecy. Maggie, for her part, said something along the lines of "I'll do anything as long as both my dads get to live". She wasn't awakened at the time, though, so who knows what that's actually worth.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Midge has no reflection in the real-world. Presumably something will happen to cause destruction to the things that she destroyed.

Yeah, an obese female drug addict snapping for no reason and starting to destroy things. This was mentioned in the segment -- one of the last few paragraphs, I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

Less of an oath and more of a prophecy. Maggie, for her part, said something along the lines of "I'll do anything as long as both my dads get to live". She wasn't awakened at the time, though, so who knows what that's actually worth.

Fell's brother (right?) was right pissed off about it, though. Said that her oath would at least have the power to keep the red gobliness from falling back into a stupor.

quote:

Fool. She was to rest. She had to agree, or she had to finish here, and once she rested for three days, three nights, she would have to sleep centuries before acting again. Now she can keep going, come back with your oath.

Edit: For reference,

Bloody Goblin posted:

Let me think. You’ll experience what you experienced here, twice more. The rule of three, to make this stronger. Perhaps it will be me again. Perhaps no. But you will experience blood and darkness and fire, like you experienced it here. If you agree, it will be so.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 16, 2014

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fell's brother (right?) was right pissed off about it, though. Said that her oath would at least have the power to keep the red gobliness from falling back into a stupor.

Edit: For reference,

I mostly just didn't want to have to dig up the quote. :shobon:

That's pretty much the size of it, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Just reread 6.7 out of curiosity (and to go back over the Midge thing) and yeah, Maggie all but says it straight out, as Algid references.

Maggie Holt posted:

“Because this? The contest? Predefined rules, boundaries, minimized damage, a lot to gain? I’ve been hoping for something like this for a long time now.”

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Blake posted:

I was the doer of our pair, the warrior even, by necessity more than because I was suited to it. Rose was the thinker, the scholar with access to the books.

Can't stop laughing.

Also, Blake's inner Taylor is really showing through when he agrees that Fell should kill him rather than let Conquest win.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 17, 2014

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, NinjaDebugger, after thinking about that quote some more I'm left wondering which third practitioner is going to convince Rose of a different plan, only to destroy her and have her face plant into a planet.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
After sifting through a mountain of poo poo I found a gem! A good worm fan fiction.

Harbinger

Instead of becoming Khepri Taylor get's send back in time, well here mind takes over here 16 years old self one day before she fights Lung. It's surprisingly well written and in the 7 chapters that are out, which cover 3 days, Taylor wastes no time at all she set's mayor plans in motion which should lead to interesting divergences to the established timeline pretty soon.

There is a lot of :master: going on but not everything is going here way and with some of the stuff she has planed like killing Eidolon this should get very interesting.

Chapter 6, 7 Spoiler

I hope Tattletale get's left in the dark for quite some time her trying to figure Taylor out is pretty fun.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

Instead of becoming Khepri Taylor get's send back in time, well here mind takes over...

A suspiciously common premise.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just started to read Worm, and as of now I'm at the big fight with Leviathan the Endbringer.

Holy. gently caress.

Ps. Bitch is awesome.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Error 404 posted:

Just started to read Worm, and as of now I'm at the big fight with Leviathan the Endbringer.

Holy. gently caress.

Golden Rules for Worm; nobody is untouchable and it can always get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Namarrgon posted:

Golden Rules for Worm; nobody is untouchable and it can always get worse.

Out of the frying pan, into another frying pan.

• Locked thread