Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was a dude wearing the old school white PT shirt, jeans, and a screaming high and tight today at the mall with his kids. Likely a reservist chief or first class. Just looked so loving silly and out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

screaming high and tight

Pro namechange option

What's the old school white PT shirt? The one that says NAVY in silly 3Dish grey letters?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The ones that get out and do their job are some of the happiest people ever. Always brings a smile to my face that people find happiness outside.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pro namechange option

What's the old school white PT shirt? The one that says NAVY in silly 3Dish grey letters?

The white bullseye shirt with the logo on front and NAVY on back.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The old school shirts had blue collars and sleeves. I can't find any pics online and I think I threw mine away years ago, so you'll just have to imagine how gay they looked.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anything is better than the awful yellow shirt/Despicable Me minion outfit. The shorts are cool when you cut out the lining but gently caress that shirt. Terrible fitting, too. It's alright at least a blue undershirt w/navy shorts is the unauthorized unofficial PT uniform

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Anything is better than the awful yellow shirt/Despicable Me minion outfit. The shorts are cool when you cut out the lining but gently caress that shirt. Terrible fitting, too. It's alright at least a blue undershirt w/navy shorts is the unauthorized unofficial PT uniform

The shorts material is pretty bad and they don't hold up well in the laundry. I bought a size small in order to make everyone pay twice a year for requiring such a poo poo uniform.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

Tucking it in. So wonderful.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

The shorts material is pretty bad and they don't hold up well in the laundry. I bought a size small in order to make everyone pay twice a year for requiring such a poo poo uniform.

The New Balance ones are pretty alright. Have you tried those ones out? They're like $5-10 more? You'll probably need a size up though.

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Tucking it in. So wonderful.

I need to carry around the reg that says it only needs to be tucked in for unit PT. Even if you're fit that shirt still makes you look fat and out of shape.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

I need to carry around the reg that says it only needs to be tucked in for unit PT. Even if you're fit that shirt still makes you look fat and out of shape.

They have this regulation because they didn't want it falling down past a woman's chest during calisthenics. It does make some sense, but by golly does it look absolutely absurd.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

I have never understood people that will not learn from junior Sailors or who are just stubborn assholes. Like last drill one of the new Ensigns was wearing black boots that were roughed out like the Army. I asked him, "Hey Sir, what's up with your boots?" as I don't believe in the whole "Being a Chief means chewing out people before asking questions". He said the regs had changed and, sure enough, for non-sea duty, you can wear them. I learned something new and we had a good talk; guy had 10 years active in the Air Force before getting his commission.

Mr Nice! posted:

There was a dude wearing the old school white PT shirt, jeans, and a screaming high and tight today at the mall with his kids. Likely a reservist chief or first class. Just looked so loving silly and out of place.

I choice to believe only two of the three are correct. I want to believe that it was the old school PT shirt, jeans, and rocking a mullet instead as that would make way more sense.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

They have this regulation because they didn't want it falling down past a woman's chest during calisthenics. It does make some sense, but by golly does it look absolutely absurd.

It's a good thing they have blanket regs like this because I can't imagine how grown rear end adults would have ever figured out how to cope with this scenario on their own

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
All this getting out and getting a job talk is kinda depressing while I sit here filling out my DH bonus contract.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Geizkragen posted:

All this getting out and getting a job talk is kinda depressing while I sit here filling out my DH bonus contract.

I wish archives worked so I could link some of MML's posts from right after he took over as department head. My favorite was something along the lines of: there are two things I hate. ships and sailors.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mad Dragon posted:

The old school shirts had blue collars and sleeves. I can't find any pics online and I think I threw mine away years ago, so you'll just have to imagine how gay they looked.

'Sup fellow oldster. Those shirts were amazing. The silkies, though? I am SO glad they're gone.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

'Sup fellow oldster. Those shirts were amazing. The silkies, though? I am SO glad they're gone.

Weren't silkies the amazing, bestowed by an angel from heaven shorts that would save everyone from uncomfortable chaffing or whatever?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yes but they are ridiculous what with the moose knuckle and all which is why people only wear them in public to be funny. Amazing, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

The New Balance ones are pretty alright. Have you tried those ones out? They're like $5-10 more? You'll probably need a size up though.

I think you're missing the point.

Christoff posted:

Yes but they are ridiculous what with the moose knuckle and all which is why people only wear them in public to be funny. Amazing, though.

Yes, that. A 6'2" guy walking around in short PT shorts with the moose knuckle and all is awesomely terrible and I love doing it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sounds like I missed the best reason to be in the navy.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Geizkragen posted:

:getin:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wish archives worked so I could link some of MML's posts from right after he took over as department head. My favorite was something along the lines of: there are two things I hate. ships and sailors.

Hahaha, yep. I'm pretty sure that's what I said verbatim. Still pretty much true too.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Geizkragen posted:

Lat transfer while you still can! It's not too late to join the dark side of the restricted line!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

Weren't silkies the amazing, bestowed by an angel from heaven shorts that would save everyone from uncomfortable chaffing or whatever?

These. They looked like granny panties on fat girls and didn't chafe because they weren't long enough. They went with the ringer tees. I wish I could find a pic of that tee shirt. I want one so bad.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm reading in a paper trade publication that the Navy wants to have 50% of its shorebased power using green energy by 2020. Considering how obscenely more expensive some of this is than regular juice, it's pretty funny in the context of the "our barracks are moldy and collapsing and there's no money to fix them" talk.

Disclaimer: I've personally profited from this

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I like to think of it as the Navy, being a wing of the federal government, developing new technologies. Expensive at first, some will fail, but ultimately something insanely beneficial will come from it.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Boon posted:

I like to think of it as the Navy, being a wing of the federal government, developing new technologies. Expensive at first, some will fail, but ultimately something insanely beneficial will come from it.

You could say this technology would be a... Boon

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, let's say that's a very... optimistic assessment. We're not exactly talking the beat-the-Reds-at-all-costs motivations that got nuclear power realized.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

:getin:

Hahaha, yep. I'm pretty sure that's what I said verbatim. Still pretty much true too.

Don't listen to Geiz, he is a pilot, he is loving life right now. ;) And there is a about to be a major hiring boom at the airlines so he can get out whenever he wants and jump right into that (if he wants to be a flying bus driver that is).

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 16, 2014

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Don't listen to Geiz, he is a pilot, he is loving life right now. ;) And there is a about to be a major hiring boom at the airlines so he can get out whenever he wants and jump right into that (if he wants to be a flying bus driver that is).

The 5 years attached to the bonus puts me to 20. So there's that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

The 5 years attached to the bonus puts me to 20. So there's that.

Are you up for DH or did that ship already sail?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Next spring. Taking the early option for the bonus in case it goes down next year like everybody else's.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
loving pilots! :arghfist::yarr:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

Next spring. Taking the early option for the bonus in case it goes down next year like everybody else's.

Cool, good luck. I screened OP-T and honestly I would've been better off not screening for DH at all. It was a bad couple years for my community when I was up for DH, like less than 20% screened. I was a super JO patch-wearer, everyone thought I was a lock and I didn't pick up operational. C'est la vie.

ManMythLegend posted:

loving pilots! :arghfist::yarr:

I'm an NFO, I hate 'em too. ;)

On an unrelated note, another PRT down. 8 7 more (forgot about terminal leave) before I can retire. My last PRT may consist of me walking into the gym, flipping everyone off, and leaving

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

3 more to go for me. Some of the new people asked me why I do the bike instead of the run. Saying I breathe easier in the gym than out in the dust and stank of cow poo poo apparently isn't good enough. They were cracking jokes, and I'm the one laughing as they hack up a lung several feet away while I get ready to go lift. Also EMI officially over, and I'm flying under the radar because some other dudes screwed up.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

3 more to go for me. Some of the new people asked me why I do the bike instead of the run. Saying I breathe easier in the gym than out in the dust and stank of cow poo poo apparently isn't good enough. They were cracking jokes, and I'm the one laughing as they hack up a lung several feet away while I get ready to go lift. Also EMI officially over, and I'm flying under the radar because some other dudes screwed up.

I like seeing people decide they are going to do the machine and then not practicing at all until the PRT. I love watching the smug turn into pain (at least for those that are trying to do well on it). I'm a bike guy myself but I use it enough to know what resistance and RPM give me the best numbers. :spergin: I do it because I have a bum knee but I think the filthy air at Lemoore is a plenty good reason to not run.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Pandasmores posted:

Also EMI officially over, and I'm flying under the radar because some other dudes screwed up.

haha...did you go to the CCU?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I like seeing people decide they are going to do the machine and then not practicing at all until the PRT. I love watching the smug turn into pain (at least for those that are trying to do well on it). I'm a bike guy myself but I use it enough to know what resistance and RPM give me the best numbers. :spergin: I do it because I have a bum knee but I think the filthy air at Lemoore is a plenty good reason to not run.

15 Resistance at a constant 100 RPM with some Dethklok guiding my way :unsmigghh:

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

haha...did you go to the CCU?

Hahaha no, still have freedom.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I did this for my last PRT but with the swim instead of the bike (also because of a bum knee), got my rear end thoroughly whipped and barely failed. I thought I was doing pretty drat well pacing myself faster than all the chiefs but then they mysteriously hopped out two or three laps early.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

I didn't work out once before my PRT and still scored an excellent. I can go to PT every week and get 11:59 on the treadmill or I can be lazy for half a year and get 12:50 and its still the same score.

Navy PT is a joke.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

I didn't work out once before my PRT and still scored an excellent. I can go to PT every week and get 11:59 on the treadmill or I can be lazy for half a year and get 12:50 and its still the same score.

Navy PT is a joke.

Maybe if you're not a bloated beer drinking fatass.

No you're right the PRT is dumb easy regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

People actually fail the PRT run? I thought they just failed the weight

• Locked thread