Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The Australians sound like a somewhat crude english accent and a medieval peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.
So basically an Australian?

White-Devil
Aug 15, 2009
Finally caught up with this. What an enjoyable learning experience, all those things I've missed despite playing the game back to back three times.

I hope you might do the other games in a similar style at some later date Bobbin.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The thing about the voice acting is it's not just bad accents, it's the delivery. The conversation in this episode with the Aussie barkeep is one of the better political commentaries in the game, but the delivery, cadence, inflection, and so on are just bad. He's delivering these great lines in a bad Aussie accent, poorly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Paramemetic posted:

The thing about the voice acting is it's not just bad accents, it's the delivery. The conversation in this episode with the Aussie barkeep is one of the better political commentaries in the game, but the delivery, cadence, inflection, and so on are just bad. He's delivering these great lines in a bad Aussie accent, poorly.

"Regarding your systems, I AM your physician."

The game may be exceptionally rough in some areas, but on the other hand, I'd still have to say that Warren Spector spent what money he had in all the right areas.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Regarding your systems, I AM your physician."

The game may be exceptionally rough in some areas, but on the other hand, I'd still have to say that Warren Spector spent what money he had in all the right areas.
Yeah I can forgive a lot of the game even if I have to admit that a lot of the voice acting is very bizarre and, dare I say, robotic in its projection. I'm not entirely sure why that is but I do believe that the complexity and flexibility of its gameplay and story far outshine the rest of its dark smudges.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The terrible voiceacting is actually pretty endearing in its own way, just like the plethora of other unintentionally hilarious things in the game.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
The reasons are probably very simple: Lack of time and money, and this leads to a lack of direction and re-takes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

The terrible voiceacting is actually pretty endearing in its own way, just like the plethora of other unintentionally hilarious things in the game.
I not only agree but I'd go even further and say that the bad voice acting adds so much to the atmosphere of the game that I wouldn't want it any other way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone somewhere mentioned that JC and Paul have the same voice actor, which is crazy to me. The guy can clearly act, so what's with the "...Sure. :pervert:"?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This game was from the age when bad voice acting was the only kind of voice acting video games got.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

Someone somewhere mentioned that JC and Paul have the same voice actor, which is crazy to me. The guy can clearly act, so what's with the "...Sure. :pervert:"?

You say this like he was anything other than utterly in character.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
edit: gently caress.

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 15, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

The voice actor is Jon St. John, who also voiced Duke Nukem.

I don't know why people keep saying that. The VA is Jay Franke and the only other thing he's notable for is being on a 90's TV show called California Dreams.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There are a couple of good voice acting jobs peppered here and there. Bob Page's is good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Most of the HK voice acting is apparently done by one-time voice actors. Possibly Chinese expats with no acting experience?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Most of the HK voice acting is apparently done by one-time voice actors. Possibly Chinese expats with no acting experience?

Or possibly just Ion Storm employees who happened to volunteer to do the voice acting, like Origin did back in the day.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^ this guy knows whats up

Xander77 posted:

More possibly some well-intentioned texas natives who worked in Accounting at ion storm whom the designers press-ganged into a sound booth and told to "talk asian"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

More possibly some well-intentioned Texas natives who worked in Accounting at ion storm whom the designers press-ganged into a sound booth and told to "talk asian"

It's actually a mix of both. Maggie Chow is voiced by Carolyn McCormick, who also did Janice Reed, Anna Navarre, and a dozen incidental characters, but a lot of the incidentals in Hong Kong are voiced by folks named Ann Chi, Chung Jen, and James Lin.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

J.theYellow posted:

Jon St. John
"You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got BALLS OF STEEL :dukedog:"

but yeah I've heard that one several places, not really sure how it got started. Probably wikipedia fuckery.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Willie Tomg posted:

More possibly some well-intentioned texas natives who worked in Accounting at ion storm whom the designers press-ganged into a sound booth and told to "talk asian"
I doubt there were that many Texas "natives" (in 2000) who had names like Eddie Chan, Binh Tieu etc.

Edit:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's actually a mix of both. Maggie Chow is voiced by Carolyn McCormick, who also did Janice Reed, Anna Navarre, and a dozen incidental characters, but a lot of the incidentals in Hong Kong are voiced by folks named Ann Chi, Chung Jen, and James Lin.
Yeah.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 15, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Zeniel posted:

There are a couple of good voice acting jobs peppered here and there. Bob Page's is good.

Of all the things, he pops up repeatedly in baffling dog-based children's educational shows

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prenton posted:

Of all the things, he pops up repeatedly in baffling dog-based children's educational shows
I did not expect to see Wishbone pop up in a Deus Ex thread.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Well I guess that at least proves that he was played by an actual actor.

It certainly sounds like some of the extras in Hong Kong are played by native speakers, but they're delivery is so wooden it kind of gets lost amongst the NPCs that are clearly not.

I always liked this part of the game, it almost feels like you've left a long tutorial or something and now you're finally untethered from UNATCO and the real game has just begun.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Also helps that there's a few things to explore in Hong Kong that aren't very apparent.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sam Hall posted:

"You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got BALLS OF STEEL :dukedog:"

Man I'm imagining this in my mind and it is so. Goddamn. Funny.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
the party drug of the future looks to be neo-opium. everyone sounds like they're hosed up on heroin.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I could swear I've heard that "Rhetoric. And you believe it?" line in a different, but equally terrible accent somewhere else in the game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
One of the conversations between NSF guys on Liberty Island contains the line "Rhetoric. Always more rhetoric." Could that be what you're thinking of?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Prenton posted:

Honestly, this is probably Deus Ex canon.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This is an amazing LP and I'm actually seeing new stuff from NPCs I apparently never talked to after changing some things, but I don't remember seeing the bum singing "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" in the videos?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

George posted:

Honestly, this is probably Deus Ex canon.
loving templars, I knew they were up to no good :argh:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I've been waiting to do this week's corner from the very beginning. It's noticeably longer than normal, but I believe it's worth your time to have a listen.

Handouts:

Captain's Log
Final Words
Map of the Helipad
Map of the Market
Map of VersaLife

Known misses: The non-crate breakables in the large sampan have goodies inside.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 19, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
In the sampan engine room, you can break open those tiny packages inside the locked chest for more credits and a few vials of zyme. Kinda frustrating, since most of those packages you encounter carry nothing at all. Most people tend to overlook it, but sometimes it does pay to break everything in sight. There's also a similar package on the canal map outside a door that carries, of all things, a pair of binoculars.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 19, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

When I finish with the final Hong Kong mission, I usually bonk into that grocery store guy before leaving Canal Road. I never could figure out that at some point he would tell you that Maggie Chow killed the former Red Arrow Dragon Head before you even see her, much less look at her secret MJ12 base.

That's such a long secret that even Tracer Tong outright shows you were to go to find it as a mild tip. Unless I'm confusing it for the Canal Road map secret as well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Erwin the German posted:

it does pay to break everything in sight.

That's better :colbert:

maybe it's just my mental issues, but I always usually destroy everything the game lets me get away with.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Erwin the German posted:

In the sampan engine room, you can break open those tiny packages inside the locked chest for more credits and a few vials of zyme. Kinda frustrating, since most of those packages you encounter carry nothing at all. Most people tend to overlook it, but sometimes it does pay to break everything in sight. There's also a similar package on the canal map outside a door that carries, of all things, a pair of binoculars.

Also, the three baskets at the front of the boat have swords in them.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
On the subject of the literature corner (which you narrated with such adorable enthusiasm :3:)... Christ, does anyone have such crazy ideas as this anymore? Between Lovecraft's imaginative horror and the boundless optimism of SF in the 1930s, it's kind of a shame that the actual cosmos seems (with a cursory glance, that is) so barren and lifeless, and that related literature has come to match that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TapamN posted:

Also, the three baskets at the front of the boat have swords in them.

Basically, break everything breakable on the boat, just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
:psyduck: What the gently caress did I just listen to. Borth Last and First Men and Starmaker sound insane with all the evolutions of man and planets and whatnot, but maybe that's just from you shortening the stories. Definitely sound like they are worth a read though.

Also, the canals look really boring, but I suppose that you can just skip them if you don't feel like trying to explore a giant water area in a game where you'll probably be swimming at a slow pace.

• Locked thread