Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Had a gag at who did the song at the beginning of DBZA ep 42. DJSexidillionaire Chris Sabat. I do find it funny that he's is cool and is friends with TFS while Sean Schemmel from what I've seen is against the whole thing. Must piss him off to say muffin button so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

It's probably the best movie plus it's the only one that actually adds to DBZ a little rather than being a lovely side story.

Bardock's movie is definitely the best. Put a tear on every kid's eye back in the day.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Trunks's story's number one, followed by Bardock, then Cooler, then Battle of the Gods, then whatever.... Super 13 or something.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

The one thing I can't wait to see is Krillin beaming Goku with a rock. If only to see what justification they give Krillin for even trying that.

I mean, it's pretty much just him being an rear end in a top hat in the original, so that's probably the approach they'll take. :v:

What the hell does Gohan say when Trunks asks him what the purple bowl things look like? "I think I kicked an Aryan that looked like that once"? :psyduck:

e: :lol: Krillin and Roshi talking about 18 is basically the best thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kicked an Alien, presumably Dodoria.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wow, I actually mostly heard that right. :stare:

I really love how TFS is able to balance comedy and genuine drama. The scene with Piccolo and Kami fusing was pretty well-done... but then it immediately gets ruined by Kami and Nail, and it's perfect. Similarly, the ending is legitimately really effective, though there's not really any way they could have made that funny.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Going back a few pages, it's kind of funny (in the 'You are over-analyzing the very silly rarely meant to be taken seriously and not like that anime show' way) that Gohan's being set up as having a completely epic freakout at his dad and hence triggering his SS2 state, because really, it's not his dad he should be mad at. It's his MOM.

Think about it. Goku never wanted to get married. Goku didn't even know what marriage WAS. Goku didn't see Chi-Chi and go "This woman, I must be be with her forever." Chi-Chi was the one who basically semi-tricked Goku into marriage based on a promised made in childhood, something she clearly didn't do any thinking about either, and Goku went along with it because he's good-natured and simple. They crack a joke about Kami wanting to make Goku the new Kami, but we could probably assume that had this happened, Kami would have TRAINED Goku in his new position (or not, if Toriyama felt it was funnier, as he was a gag manga writer at heart). No one ever trained (or really gave Goku any aid whatsoever) in being a father; in theory since Chi-Chi wanted to marry him so badly that she invoked a childhood promise, SHE should have done so. But Chi-Chi's attention was always on Gohan.

Or rather, Chi-Chi's attention was on what SHE wanted Gohan to be. She wanted him to be a scholar type and not have to take on the world with his fists (then maybe you shouldn't have jumped right into marriage with a renowned FIGHTER then, hmmmm?), which is fine, every parent wants good things for her kid...except she was so manically OBSESSED with this that she's lucky that Gohan didn't rebel harder than James Dean when he became a teenager. Now yes, maybe it was a Japanese thing, and yes, maybe it was supposed to be played for comedy, but when you have a woman who in one manga translation says "Oh, what do I care about the Earth?" in regards to the fact Gohan was needed to save the planet (prompting Yajirobe to ask Goku if he could smack her one) and who half the time comes off as absolutely INSANE in regards to getting her son an education (or rather, make her into the kind of man SHE wants him to be), she really comes off as the more likely source for Gohan's issues. Goku never made any excuses for what kind of person he was, and never tried to hide it: he is who he is. Chi-CHi wanted the marriage, and she basically used it to try and make a child in the vein of her dreams, who cares what he thinks. Really, he should be mad at HER.

Then again, this is an Abridged series, where everyone is exaggerated all for the sake of jokes, and Toriyama was never a writer who would be examining the DEEP HUMAN ISSUES and all. But it'd be really funny if Gohan used his issues with his dad to trigger his original Super Saiyan transformation during the Room training and has to have a realization like this to go Super Saiyan 2.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 15, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yes Gohan should be mad at his mom for being a constant (if overbearing) presence in his life when his main stated issue with his dad is how he is never around.

Oh wait.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Going back a few pages, it's kind of funny (in the 'You are over-analyzing the very silly rarely meant to be taken seriously and not like that anime show' way) that Gohan's being set up as having a completely epic freakout at his dad and hence triggering his SS2 state, because really, it's not his dad he should be mad at. It's his MOM.

Think about it. Goku never wanted to get married. Goku didn't even know what marriage WAS. Goku didn't see Chi-Chi and go "This woman, I must be be with her forever." Chi-Chi was the one who basically semi-tricked Goku into marriage based on a promised made in childhood, something she clearly didn't do any thinking about either, and Goku went along with it because he's good-natured and simple. They crack a joke about Kami wanting to make Goku the new Kami, but we could probably assume that had this happened, Kami would have TRAINED Goku in his new position (or not, if Toriyama felt it was funnier, as he was a gag manga writer at heart). No one ever trained (or really gave Goku any aid whatsoever) in being a father; in theory since Chi-Chi wanted to marry him so badly that she invoked a childhood promise, SHE should have done so. But Chi-Chi's attention was always on Gohan.

Or rather, Chi-Chi's attention was on what SHE wanted Gohan to be. She wanted him to be a scholar type and not have to take on the world with his fists (then maybe you shouldn't have jumped right into marriage with a renowned FIGHTER then, hmmmm?), which is fine, every parent wants good things for her kid...except she was so manically OBSESSED with this that she's lucky that Gohan didn't rebel harder than James Dean when he became a teenager. Now yes, maybe it was a Japanese thing, and yes, maybe it was supposed to be played for comedy, but when you have a woman who in one manga translation says "Oh, what do I care about the Earth?" in regards to the fact Gohan was needed to save the planet (prompting Yajirobe to ask Goku if he could smack her one) and who half the time comes off as absolutely INSANE in regards to getting her son an education (or rather, make her into the kind of man SHE wants him to be), she really comes off as the more likely source for Gohan's issues.

Someone's issues, anyway.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes Gohan should be mad at his mom for being a constant (if overbearing) presence in his life when his main stated issue with his dad is how he is never around.

Right, and why is he never around? Because he's a manchild who got raised in the wild and had nothing approaching a conventional childhood, he basically got married because he wanted to eat, and then no one (including, you know, his WIFE) really tried to teach him how to grow up. Goku's primary problem is he's Goku and never had a reason to not be Goku, while Chi-Chi seemed to become obsessed with the idea of a perfect brilliant child once DBZ rolled around. They're two ends of the extreme, but Chi-Chi's the one in a far better position to realize it.

It's probably a Japanese thing that's not processing, at heart.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 15, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man you are either projecting really hard or actually think there's something weird (or for that matter, Japanese) about a mom wanting her kid to have a good education.

Not sure which is sillier.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There's nothing wrong with wanting an education for your child, but the argument is that Chi-Chi hasn't emphasized Goku's responsibilities as a father to him (saiyans seem to have a problem in general with this, considering the whole "shooting babies to other worlds to kill everyone on it" thing). Again, dude thought marriage was a type of food, and his own father got blown the gently caress up by Frieza sent back in time, it's not like he has an example to work from.

If someone actually directly told the lug to spend more time with his son he probably would (and he actually does, when he's not dead/traveling through space/having a massive heart attack).

That said, this is me talking from the perspective of not seeing the original series all the way through.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Man you are either projecting really hard or actually think there's something weird (or for that matter, Japanese) about a mom wanting her kid to have a good education.

A good education is one thing. Gohan's constant piles of books that he's seen in front of when we see him studying, and the aforementioned 'What do I care about the earth' (which was in a canon, albeit English translation, instead of an Abridged joke) is something else entirely. Yes, this is a comedic dub of an overall very silly series, but they're arranging scenes for a climax (and doing jokes around it) based on the (really not funny if you think about it) fact that Abridged-Gohan has a lot of repressed anger at his father, and the reasons for why he has that anger in the first place really isn't Goku's fault.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

his main stated issue with his dad is how he is never around.

Goku only hasn't been around by choice is the year he spent on Yardrat and later when he doesn't wish to be revived after Cell is defeated.
He died saving the planet and Gohan against Raditz. He drat near died again doing the same thing against Vegeta and was forced to spend time recovering in the hospital.
Gohan insists that he going to Namek instead of Gohan spending time with his Dad after being apart for a year. Then Goku is forced to travel to Namek and drat near dies again to rescue Gohan and friends. He selfishly stays on Yardrat for unexplained reasons (learning instant transmission?) for a year.
After returning he spends 3 years with Gohan and additional year in the time chamber before he dies once again to save Gohan and the planet. Cell is defeated and he declines to be resurrected because he felt like he was the reason everything bad was happening to Earth and this was the best way to protect it.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 15, 2014

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The real reason DBZA Gohan has so much animosity towards his dad is because it's funnier that way.

Kild posted:

Goku only hasn't been around by choice is the year he spent on Yardrat and later when he doesn't wish to be revived after Cell is defeated. He died saving the planet and Gohan against Raditz. He drat near died again doing the same thing against Vegeta and was forced to spend time recovering in the hospital but instead of Gohan spending time with his Dad after being apart for a year Gohan insists that he will go to Namek. Then Goku is forced to go to Namek and drat near dies again to rescue Gohan and friends. He selfishly stays on Yardrat for unexplained reasons (learning instant transmission?) for a year. He then spends 3 years with Gohan and then another in the time chamber before he dies once again to save Gohan and the planet. He then asks to not be revived to protect Earth thinking he was the reason everything bad was happening to it.

In fairness in Abridged it seems like those three years with Goku were less than pleasant for Gohan. I imagine the year in the time chamber is going to be more of the same.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kild posted:

Goku only hasn't been around by choice is the year he spent on Yardrat and later when he doesn't wish to be revived after Cell is defeated.

Yes actual Goku is not that bad of a dad. I'm not really sure why you think we're talking about him when I'm talking about the Abridged series, though.

Cornwind Evil posted:

and the reasons for why he has that anger in the first place really isn't Goku's fault.

Abridged Goku literally reminds himself to ask Piccolo to scold Gohan. He is in fact a pretty bad dad, mostly because he is an idiot. This is in fact, the joke: that he is an idiot. Nothing to do with his wife, or his upbringing as a wild child or whatever. He's just an idiot because he hit his head as a baby.

EDIT: I mean if you like the idea of Gohan reaching new levels of anger because he thinks both of his parents suck, sure, but the entire series so far has been highlighting and exaggerating Goku being a bad dad so that would have to come out of nowhere. It'd also be incredibly awkward past the Cell saga since Gohan proceeds to grow up and be a scholar, like his mom wanted.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 15, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes actual Goku is not that bad of a dad. I'm not really sure why you think we're talking about him when I'm talking about the Abridged series, though.

I wasn't aware Abridged Goku took an extended vacation somewhere in the timeline? I'm not really sure why you think everything I said doesn't apply to DBZA Goku. He's still there in Abridged. He's just a lovely dad.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 15, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Actually after reading a synopsis I'm pretty sure Goku may secretly be a dick to Gohan, if only because he gave/gives Cell a sensu bean so the two could have a "fair fight"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Actually after reading a synopsis I'm pretty sure Goku may secretly be a dick to Gohan, if only because he gave/gives Cell a sensu bean so the two could have a "fair fight"

Keep in mind that Goku refuses to outright end the galaxy destroying Majin Buu, even after said monster has killed Vegeta and his son (or so he thought) because he wants to give the kids a chance to kill it. He chooses to do this even after Buu has blown up two separate heavily populated cities (Eh dragonballs will fix it.).

Goku is just a massive rear end in a top hat when it comes to anything but fighting, even in the non-abridged series. The last shots of him in the series involve Goku ditching his family to fly off and train Ubuu for an untold amount of time, though he'll totally visit. The man can literally teleport and hadn't seen Bulma or Krillin, two of his closest childhood friends in years by that point.

And why does he want to train Ubuu? So that he can have someone challenging to punch.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Goku who can communicate with his family anytime from the afterlife didn't for 7 years and only came back to visit for a martial arts tournament.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Really, this all makes perfect sense considering Goku's life.

1) Spends first ten years of his life being raised by an old martial arts master in the middle of nowhere. Is taught how to fight and survive, and nothing else considering he had no idea what a woman was when Bulma showed up.
2) Goes on first adventure. Experiences nowhere near enough to figure out the world, and keeps running into situations where fighting is the best solution. This is where he actually meets Chi-Chi, who gets the marriage promise out of him with him having no idea what marriage is.
3) Spends months being trained by another old martial arts master, who teaches some stuff about relaxation and thinking, but nowhere near enough. Enters a tournament. Loses.
4) His teacher basically tells him to seek to get stronger. Goes off on another adventure where he fights the Red Ribbon Army. Violence is again the best solution.
5) Goes off on a three year journey around the world to get stronger, by himself. Enters another tournament. Loses. Demon King Piccolo is unleashed. Violence is again the best solution.
6) Spends another few years being trained by God himself to face DKP's son. Enters a third tournament. Wins. Chi-Chi says "Hey, let's get married!" Goku goes along because he doesn't know any better.

Start of DBZ. Goku hasn't changed at all, hence it's clear no one tried to give him help in that regard, and Chi-Chi's entirely focused on Gohan. Now take all this and add the fact that Goku fell off a cliff and more or less suffered brain damage before it all started. Add in the Dragon Balls, and no wonder he always wants a good fight, and is willing to let the world burn, put his friends and family in the crosshairs, wish evil demons back to life as good reincarnations, not talk to his family after he died or his friends for years on end. It's all he knows, the kind of ingrained behavior that even his innate nobility and paternal love can't overcome.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The way Gohan and Yamcha swap hairstyles back and forth I'm pretty sure Gohan is his kid and they just sorta wished him half-Goku or something.

Once he becomes a teenager the Yamcha DNA kicks in and suddenly he can't fight anymore.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Once the devil becomes your best friend and saves the planet with you multiple times because you had some good fights with him, it's understandable that you would give future enemies a chance to become friends.

Goku's entire friend group is made up of reformed antagonists. How he handled Cell, etc. is overplayed for the bad dad meme (in the non abridged series).

Chi Chi is utterly terrible when you count movies and anime in things, but not as bad in the manga. It's another one of those anime/manga differences.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord of Pie posted:

The way Gohan and Yamcha swap hairstyles back and forth I'm pretty sure Gohan is his kid and they just sorta wished him half-Goku or something.

Once he becomes a teenager the Yamcha DNA kicks in and suddenly he can't fight anymore.

Honestly I think this might just be because they see each other once in a blue moon and are both big enough social failures to thing "Man that's a cool haircut."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Darko posted:

Once the devil becomes your best friend and saves the planet with you multiple times because you had some good fights with him, it's understandable that you would give future enemies a chance to become friends.

Goku's entire friend group is made up of reformed antagonists. How he handled Cell, etc. is overplayed for the bad dad meme (in the non abridged series).

Yamcha, Oolong, Tien, Chaotzu, Piccolo, Vegeta... it's probably easier to list his friends who weren't antagonists at first. And even though Krillin and Bulma weren't enemies at first, they were still pretty big assholes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yamcha, Oolong, Tien, Chaotzu, Piccolo, Vegeta... it's probably easier to list his friends who weren't antagonists at first. And even though Krillin and Bulma weren't enemies at first, they were still pretty big assholes.

Bulma did shoot Goku with a machine gun like, seconds after meeting him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's a lot easier to get along with Goku than fight him.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's a lot easier to get along with Goku than fight him.

As Goku's enemy, you only die once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

As Goku's enemy, you only die once.

I'm pretty sure Freeza alone disproves that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You only die once, but it takes forever and movies may or may not give you a mulligan.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Are we counting Cell's regeneration bullshit as death? I mean, eating that warp kamehameha couldn't have been a good experience.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
In the last Abridged episode, was it just me or did Gohan's voice sound different? It might be because they're trying to age it slightly while still being recognizible, but it almost sounded like a different person trying to imitate it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sounded the same to me. In fact, I noticed the opposite: the show started drawing him a bit taller in these episodes and they haven't really made the voice any deeper. Although it's not like his voice changed all that much in the show, even after the Time Chamber.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The only male character who doesn't debut as some form of antagonist is Roshi I think. Hell I think they even paint Oxking as a bad guy until Roshi comes along.

I guess we could include children in that category, but I'm not because it's kind of obvious they'd be good guys.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Squallege posted:

Bulma did shoot Goku with a machine gun like, seconds after meeting him.

It's not like bullets can hurt him.

Roshi was friendly from minute one, yet another reason why Roshi is the best character in Dragonball.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Caros posted:

Keep in mind that Goku refuses to outright end the galaxy destroying Majin Buu, even after said monster has killed Vegeta and his son (or so he thought) because he wants to give the kids a chance to kill it. He chooses to do this even after Buu has blown up two separate heavily populated cities (Eh dragonballs will fix it.).

Well on the Buu thing, Goku wasn't exactly wrong. He never had any intention of using SSJ3 until he came across fat buu and needed to stall. That's why when he's at the lookout he tells Popo, Piccolo, and Krillin if Vegeta couldn't win, he couldn't win also. Hell his idea for beating Buu initially was to fuse with either Vegeta or Gohan which Piccolo quickly guessed. Goku's reasoning for not killing Buu was because if he's gone, Vegeta's gone, Gohan is gone, those 2 kids are it. Like it or not, they'd have to bear the responsibility. If he beat Buu and then some other threat shows up in the future, everyone was hosed. Plus fighting Buu, he probably had an idea of Buu's power and figured that the fusion technique would work. He seemed confident of that. Now if he had known fat buu would be absorbed by his evil side and become even stronger, and all the poo poo that happened due to that, he would have done the job himself right there.

At least the way the manga and Japanese version portrays it, it's more of a "I'm not even supposed to be here/the living defend their world." I can't recall how the dub set it up.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

crankdatbatman posted:

The only male character who doesn't debut as some form of antagonist is Roshi I think. Hell I think they even paint Oxking as a bad guy until Roshi comes along.

I guess we could include children in that category, but I'm not because it's kind of obvious they'd be good guys.

Korin, Kami, King Kai

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

RickoniX posted:

Korin, Kami, King Kai

Doesn't Yaijirobe also do a good job of not dying to bad guys?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

Well on the Buu thing, Goku wasn't exactly wrong. He never had any intention of using SSJ3 until he came across fat buu and needed to stall. That's why when he's at the lookout he tells Popo, Piccolo, and Krillin if Vegeta couldn't win, he couldn't win also. Hell his idea for beating Buu initially was to fuse with either Vegeta or Gohan which Piccolo quickly guessed. Goku's reasoning for not killing Buu was because if he's gone, Vegeta's gone, Gohan is gone, those 2 kids are it. Like it or not, they'd have to bear the responsibility. If he beat Buu and then some other threat shows up in the future, everyone was hosed. Plus fighting Buu, he probably had an idea of Buu's power and figured that the fusion technique would work. He seemed confident of that. Now if he had known fat buu would be absorbed by his evil side and become even stronger, and all the poo poo that happened due to that, he would have done the job himself right there.

At least the way the manga and Japanese version portrays it, it's more of a "I'm not even supposed to be here/the living defend their world." I can't recall how the dub set it up.

The dub set it up the same, he says at some point that if he'd made an effort at SS3 he could have beaten fat Buu, but then if some other poo poo came up he'd be too busy being dead to do anything about it.

Thinking about it, the poo poo with Gohan is probably a similar principle. Yeah it's a dick move for Goku to give cell the senzu bean, but at that point Gohan is stronger than goku. While Goku had no intention of dying there he wanted to know that Gohan could handle any future threats and he wanted Gohan to realise that he had surpassed his dad in strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Namtab posted:

The dub set it up the same, he says at some point that if he'd made an effort at SS3 he could have beaten fat Buu, but then if some other poo poo came up he'd be too busy being dead to do anything about it.

Thinking about it, the poo poo with Gohan is probably a similar principle. Yeah it's a dick move for Goku to give cell the senzu bean, but at that point Gohan is stronger than goku. While Goku had no intention of dying there he wanted to know that Gohan could handle any future threats and he wanted Gohan to realise that he had surpassed his dad in strength.

I think my favorite part out of that whole situation was Goku asking Gohan, well you saw me fight Cell. Did you think it was beyond your ability? And the response was well no, but neither of you were serious right? Not even counting ssj2, Gohan at mastered super saiyajin was beyond his father to the point where he was waiting for Goku to get serious in the fight, where Goku was going all out against a seemingly invincible opponent. It's a pretty awesome moment.

• Locked thread