Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pyromancer posted:

I used those in Vergen mines in dark mode, can't see poo poo in there with dark sword effects without cat potion.

The dark swords suck more than anything. The first time I pulled out a dark sword, I immediately unequipped and sold it.

Kimmalah posted:

I used it for that one bit where you follow the bloodstains to find Cedric. Except it's so frustrating because the whole forest is full of bloodstains!
The first time, I found him by sheer accident. Just walkin' around, doing something and, boom, cutscene.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The dark sword effects are really cool the first time you use them then annoying for the next 40+ hours of gameplay. I think it would have worked a lot better if the graphical and audio effects only kicked in when your adrenaline bar was full or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

yep

edit: that was cagey, so here's my answer as to why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Aw jeah. That was such a great trailer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mickey McKey posted:

Supposedly they want to have more of the basic Witcher-ing to do. If they have the dynamic hunter-stalks-prey and certain creatures have certain habitats, they need a big world. I thought Skyrim was ridiculous with how much content there was in both a good and bad way. Good because some of it is really really neat; like a cave you go into that has poachers... they have lines they say to each other and there is poacher paraphernalia (including a mammoth carcass) laying around. The bad is that the good ones are few and far between which means a lot of caves and ruins are the exact same tileset without much variation with the same Draugr or bandit enemies. I say this because I get the feeling that what CDPR is trying to do will have much more variety and require more thought/observation/skill to do encounters. Also there will probably be a decent bit of "well poo poo I walked right past here and never saw this path or that moss which means this monster lives here" which will mean you will need to do more searching around/exploring/whatever. I think I have now rambled quite a bit but what I am trying to say is I have a feeling they know what they are doing and I doubt that there will be that much useless huge tracts of land.

I thought Skyrim got an unfair amount of grief for its dungeons - they're composed of a limited number of tile sets, sure, but they're all excellent tilesets and every dungeon has something unique about it and they all had distinctive qualities.

I remember a neat ice one where little firefly spirits started following me round for no apparent reason.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I thought Skyrim got an unfair amount of grief for its dungeons - they're composed of a limited number of tile sets, sure, but they're all excellent tilesets and every dungeon has something unique about it and they all had distinctive qualities.

I remember a neat ice one where little firefly spirits started following me round for no apparent reason.

I liked Skyrim dungeons, but I've also liked swamp area in W1. It might be because in my whole life I've played only 2 MMORPGs, both times for a couple of months, therefore I've never developed deep hatred for "collect 15 bear assholes" missions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I liked Skyrim's dungeons overall, but they were generally a bit too linear and samey. It was impossible to get lost in them, and they all had that "fight the boss and then suddenly an exit appears out of nowhere" dynamic. It's too predictable and formulaic, though they obviously did the best they could considering the size of that game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You gotta have space to track things if you're gonna be Witcherin'.

I hope there's some long pursuit battles where partway through the fight the monster realizes it's completely outmatched and you have to gradually run it down on your horse over several encounters in a nice turn around on pursuit predation. That would feel pretty badass.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Skyrim's dungeons overall, but they were generally a bit too linear and samey. It was impossible to get lost in them, and they all had that "fight the boss and then suddenly an exit appears out of nowhere" dynamic. It's too predictable and formulaic, though they obviously did the best they could considering the size of that game.

I've liked how it streamlines gameplay. Getting lost in some horrible dungeon and having do scavenge and plan ahead is fun, but not in 100+ hours game.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Honestly, I don't mind that at all. That lets you have enormous dungeons without having to backtrack too severely. Particularly in dungeons where you cross multiple zones.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It just seemed like a weird solution to a problem that has a much simpler, more logical one: Just give the player a spell to teleport to the outside entrance. Not that I object to it in concept, but having it in every dungeon made no sense.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Playing Morrowind, if I didn't feel like getting lost in a dungeon I just...did stuff that didn't involve dungeons. Doesn't Skyrim have stuff like that?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

It just seemed like a weird solution to a problem that has a much simpler, more logical one: Just give the player a spell to teleport to the outside entrance. Not that I object to it in concept, but having it in every dungeon made no sense.

It's one of the reasons I'm very excited for Pillars of Eternity's dungeon design. The mega dungeon especially is designed around multiple forays where you clear a part of it, leave and come back later after you've resupplied and sold loot. It gives dungeons a more natural and expansive feel that I really missed in Skyrim outside of that one massive underground cave.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood had the best dungeons in any game :colbert:. Of course it's a completely different genre but they were all vast, custom made and fun to go through.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Playing Morrowind, if I didn't feel like getting lost in a dungeon I just...did stuff that didn't involve dungeons. Doesn't Skyrim have stuff like that?

You got lost in Morrowind dungeons?

Dungeons in both Morrowind and Skyrim (but not Oblivion), even though they were pretty straight forward, had that epic feeling to them. I had a blast exploring them because there were enough unique rooms that you never knew what you'd find. The Witcher is obviously more low-key about it's dungeons but I hope we will find some gigantic cave/forgotten underground city/evil temple.

Working so hard on my backlog right now, this and PoE is gonna take up so much of my time. I'm itching for a third play through of 2, that rarely ever happens with me.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
There were a couple of dungeons in Morrowind that were a little confusing, mostly Dwemer stuff and a handful of family tombs. The Dwemer tileset, specifically, tiled in such a way as to make the minimap pretty crappy. Vergen in W2 had a similar problem, not actually that complicated, but arranged in a way as to make any spatial top-down map totally unreadable.

Some of the better dungeons in Morrowind used that feature to do clever things like hide deadfall traps and stuff.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hakkesshu posted:

Since we're talking Elder Scrolls, this is actually something that used to be a thing in the series (the Mark and Recall spells). They took it out in later titles for whatever reason. I also liked how Witcher 2 handled it sometimes in cave sections by just giving me the option to stay or return to the surface without having to backtrack through a pitch black maze.

The Sharmat posted:

Skyrim has a ton of stuff like that. And anyone who complains about the dungeons being repetitive/samey apparently forgot about Oblivion because Skyrim was a MASSIVE improvement in that area.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

The dark sword effects are really cool the first time you use them then annoying for the next 40+ hours of gameplay. I think it would have worked a lot better if the graphical and audio effects only kicked in when your adrenaline bar was full or something.
Maybe I annoy easily then, because they were annoying to me after one fight.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

There were a couple of dungeons in Morrowind that were a little confusing, mostly Dwemer stuff and a handful of family tombs. The Dwemer tileset, specifically, tiled in such a way as to make the minimap pretty crappy.

gently caress that Dwemer ruin in Morrowind that had the box for that skooma addicted bastard. I scoured the whole dungeon, instead taking a not so obvious left turn over a rock face to an alcove right near the loving entrance.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well video game logic dictates that the Dwemer puzzle box would be at the "end" of the dungeon. Not on a shelf in the second loving room.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Vergen in W2 had a similar problem, not actually that complicated, but arranged in a way as to make any spatial top-down map totally unreadable.

This cannot be overstated. I've played through the Iorveth path like 10 times and I still get confused trying to use the minimap to navigate the various switchbacks and cul de sacs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rolling Scissors posted:

gently caress that Dwemer ruin in Morrowind that had the box for that skooma addicted bastard. I scoured the whole dungeon, instead taking a not so obvious left turn over a rock face to an alcove right near the loving entrance.

I have to admit, I never understood how people had trouble with that quest since ten year old me found it without any problem. :shrug:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

This cannot be overstated. I've played through the Iorveth path like 10 times and I still get confused trying to use the minimap to navigate the various switchbacks and cul de sacs.

It's a real shame because Vergen is cool as gently caress.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.

Gobblecoque posted:

I have to admit, I never understood how people had trouble with that quest since ten year old me found it without any problem. :shrug:

I think that quest is probably easier when you're young. As you get older, you realize patterns and rules of video game design and stop thinking out of the box. You assume that the objective will be at the end of the dungeon, so when it isn't, you become frustrated and confused.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Akong posted:

I think that quest is probably easier when you're young. As you get older, you realize patterns and rules of video game design and stop thinking out of the box. You assume that the objective will be at the end of the dungeon, so when it isn't, you become frustrated and confused.

This is really sad when you think about it. We've come to expect laziness.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
We don't just expect it. Sometimes we even prefer it.

If you've ever played a game with someone who doesn't usually play video games, you've probably been frustrated with their inability to understand basic concepts. This isn't because they're stupid, they just don't know the rules and we don't realize because it's become second nature to us.

So when a game breaks the rules, we become frustrated with our own inability to understand it, and more often than not, we start blaming the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Witcher's tendency to make its choices have terrible unforeseen consequences doesn't seem to have deterred people in that way though, oddly.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

The Witcher's tendency to make its choices have terrible unforeseen consequences doesn't seem to have deterred people in that way though, oddly.

The Witcher games do a pretty good job of setting up expectations early, particularly in W2*, during the prologue at La Valette Castle, by the end of this section the game has explained that, in addition to the normal RPG rules, this one will also be doing unexpected things with the choice and consequences. That way it doesn't feel like the game is cheating you later on when "things happen".

Morrowind was also setting up those expectations with the puzzle box, no one complains that Keening or any other quest objective wasn't in the last room. Once you realize that this isn't the kind of game where the dungeons are linear and have a treasure chest in the last room it's no longer a violation of expectations.

*Actually, W1 does this pretty well too in the choice to go after the thieves or fight the monster.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How long should I give the game before I decide whether it's right for me? The first time I tried, I made it to very early in chapter 1 before hitting the "can't carry anymore and no hints as to what you should be carrying", now I am trying again but it's just not grabbing me even though it's basically still the prologue.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

How long should I give the game before I decide whether it's right for me? The first time I tried, I made it to very early in chapter 1 before hitting the "can't carry anymore and no hints as to what you should be carrying", now I am trying again but it's just not grabbing me even though it's basically still the prologue.

It might be simply not for you. I've played some acclaimed games, which logically I know are awesome, but they have no pull for me. For example: I turn off Bastion after an hour and end up increasing my ~400h play time in unmodded Empire:Total War.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Sell everything unless you want to do the crafting. The crafting can make some really nice items but it's not necessary at all. And until you get to Flotsam don't pick up anything you can't use right away, it's not worth the trouble. The prologue shouldn't even have crafting stuff or junk loot anyway, it was a mistake to have all that crap.

I can't help with if the game isn't grabbing you, but that should help with the inventory problem.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just got a mod that made all of the crafting stuff weigh nothing, as I feel it should be in all games with crafting and weight systems. But then, I'm not really a fan of weight systems at all.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I don't mind crafting items having weight, and in some games weight systems don't bother me as much. Like in Skyrim it doesn't bother me that much because prioritizing higher-value loot is part of the game (not a super fun one, maybe, but I enjoy it). In more adventure/story-driven games like Witcher 2 though I don't much care for inventory management at all.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

I've just started my first playthrough after getting this off Steam for a steal. Just started Chapter 2, and I've already modded my carry weight up to 500, then 750.

I don't mind the inventory-juggling in some games (e.g. STALKER was almost enjoyable), but here where there's like a million things to pick up (and the fact you can just empty people's houses with no consequences), I just can't handle not stealing everything. Even selling stuff I don't need (swords, armour, rubbish enhancements) I'm still lugging round hundreds of pounds of timber and iron ore :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I_Socom posted:

I've just started my first playthrough after getting this off Steam for a steal. Just started Chapter 2, and I've already modded my carry weight up to 500, then 750.

I don't mind the inventory-juggling in some games (e.g. STALKER was almost enjoyable), but here where there's like a million things to pick up (and the fact you can just empty people's houses with no consequences), I just can't handle not stealing everything. Even selling stuff I don't need (swords, armour, rubbish enhancements) I'm still lugging round hundreds of pounds of timber and iron ore :v:

Yeah, there's some mod that changes the carryweight of all crafting materials to zero. Inventory got a lot less annoying to me after downloading that one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sell everything unless you want to do the crafting. The crafting can make some really nice items but it's not necessary at all. And until you get to Flotsam don't pick up anything you can't use right away, it's not worth the trouble. The prologue shouldn't even have crafting stuff or junk loot anyway, it was a mistake to have all that crap.

I can't help with if the game isn't grabbing you, but that should help with the inventory problem.

Thanks for the advice to sell everything (though I don't even remember seeing any vendors in the prologue) - I guess I meant more, "when does the story start getting started"? Kind of like how people playing Alpha Protocol need to get past Saudi Arabia to see the good bits of the game, is there a point in the game where I should see what the good bits are?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for the advice to sell everything (though I don't even remember seeing any vendors in the prologue) - I guess I meant more, "when does the story start getting started"? Kind of like how people playing Alpha Protocol need to get past Saudi Arabia to see the good bits of the game, is there a point in the game where I should see what the good bits are?

No vendors in the prologue. But there is a "bottomless" chest in the inn in Act I where you can drop all your crap into. That stuff automatically gets transferred to the storage chests in future acts. The game doesn't really tell you about those, you just have to happen upon them.

I think a good line for when the story ramps up is when you meet the Kingslayer in Act I.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I dunno, if you aren't hooked by the time Foltest bites it, I don't think it's for you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well I just finished one of the Flotsam sidequests - hunting down the monster nests. Also please tell me that I get to shank Dandelion at some point because bards are always annoying.

Any must-do sidequests in Flotsam? (For story or overpowered weapons, not just to bang on mooks.)

Also I was wondering around the city looting it and swore that the two models for Foltest's kids/bastards/whatevers were in one of the houses, reused assets or plot dump to come?

Lycus posted:

I think a good line for when the story ramps up is when you meet the Kingslayer in Act I.

I take it you don't mean the bit in the very beginning where you see him and the Elf Liberation Front guy looking at you as you enter Flotsam?

I dunno, if you aren't hooked by the time Foltest bites it, I don't think it's for you.

I really wasn't given much of a reason to care about Foltest.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 23, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PureRok posted:

I just got a mod that made all of the crafting stuff weigh nothing, as I feel it should be in all games with crafting and weight systems. But then, I'm not really a fan of weight systems at all.
Yeah, I mod literally every RPG to have infinite weight if possible. I don't really like managing inventory or even having any sort of lair/chest system you travel to etc. I prefer going nomad and having contents of a small castle carried with me at all times. It just doesn't bring me any joy - I would drop excellent games like Witcher 2, New Vegas or Skyrim if I couldn't mod them into weightless loot.

• Locked thread