Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I got up to a place I don't think I was supposed to be at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, what are the most space-ish zones to go to after you get to the main cities? Exile side I did some forest place that ended up at a cool eldar excavation, but it looks like my next choices are more forest or-- I think a space zombie graveyard? That looks promising maybe? Dominion side I haven't looked at what's next, but I just got out of a savanna type area. Not very sci-fi feeling after a while.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Potsticker posted:

So, what are the most space-ish zones to go to after you get to the main cities? Exile side I did some forest place that ended up at a cool eldar excavation, but it looks like my next choices are more forest or-- I think a space zombie graveyard? That looks promising maybe? Dominion side I haven't looked at what's next, but I just got out of a savanna type area. Not very sci-fi feeling after a while.

To be fair its a wild mostly undeveloped planet.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
You might be more into those side-event missions that scale to your level where you go off-world. I think the first one usually starts around 12-13 from some dude standing next to a rocket ship.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The snow zone was fun, and the Crimson Isle zone had a military base. And there are secret Eredar labs seemingly dotted all over. A couple of times I've been up in space ships to do things. I'm just looking to maximize my spacetime (:v:) during the beta.

Dosvidanya posted:

You might be more into those side-event missions that scale to your level where you go off-world. I think the first one usually starts around 12-13 from some dude standing next to a rocket ship.

Those are the shiphands things, right? Are they solo-able or should I be looking for a group?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Potsticker posted:

The snow zone was fun, and the Crimson Isle zone had a military base. And there are secret Eredar labs seemingly dotted all over. A couple of times I've been up in space ships to do things. I'm just looking to maximize my spacetime (:v:) during the beta.

Those are the shiphands things, right? Are they solo-able or should I be looking for a group?

I soloed the first one with a Medic as soon as it was available.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Phrasing posted:

I soloed the first one with a Medic as soon as it was available.

Thanks! I know what I'm trying out next, then.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Not sure if it was posted but you can preorder for 20% off at Green Man Gaming with the promo code MAY20OFF.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yep, all shiphands are soloable -- they scale from 1-5 players. If they don't, I have done something horribly wrong. :v:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If any Engineers are having issues, just remember to use your bot's taunt ability, then fire off the aoe mortar doom thing while hammering your attacks and things melt away like snow in the sun. So I will definetly be using a Chua Engineer come live, and I preordered so I'll be in the headstart, do I need to let the guild folks know what my character name is or my account handle?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Me and Collateral Damage played through the exile starter experience (northern wilds, plus part of the first stretch of Algoroc) the other evening and genuinely had a blast. I've been playing since some time before the pre-order closed beta began and he did the open beta thing to test the game, but even then there's still so many things he noticed that I hadn't yet seen or realized. Seriously, some of the details in this game... Like the various Protostar advertisements and 'safety messages'. :allears:

Also, we learned that you can certainly create a granok that looks like it came straight out of something drawn by Tom of Finland (oh my). If you don't know who that is (was), you might be better off living in ignorance. Or not. ;)

In other news I'm really warming up to warrior. I like engineer still but there's something very enjoyable about beating the crap out of stuff in melee too. I think it's just one of those games where it'll be hard for me to not roll a gazillion alts.

Also getting a few crashes again after yesterdays patch that I haven't seen for a few weeks, but they've been very rare and performance has most certainly increased. If they can iron out their own addons throwing errors (unitframe in particular) things are looking good. At least hooray for third-party addons being able to integrate their config screens into the default main menu.

Cyster posted:

Yep, all shiphands are soloable -- they scale from 1-5 players. If they don't, I have done something horribly wrong. :v:

Whoever designed the level 13 shiphand mission deserves a medal. With the flashlight effect and all that, it's properly spooky and atmospheric, and that's not something I'm used to in mmo:s. :tipshat:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

If any Engineers are having issues, just remember to use your bot's taunt ability, then fire off the aoe mortar doom thing while hammering your attacks and things melt away like snow in the sun. So I will definetly be using a Chua Engineer come live, and I preordered so I'll be in the headstart, do I need to let the guild folks know what my character name is or my account handle?

If you're on Nexus we can invite you now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, how the hell am I going to find time for PVP, PVE AND house decoration at the same time come retail launch. :negative:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ok I'm on my character Wervok the mad Chua bastard, mudering the crap outta spiders right now. I will be Dreadwroth after we go into headstart, however.
PS: Yes, I am on Exile right now.
Thanks for the invite!

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 15, 2014

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
So how many goons are playing this game? I am really interested in playing, but 20/40 man endgame usually means that EU goons are kinda screwed unless we roll on a euro server and join a larger pubbie guild.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

RottenK posted:

So how many goons are playing this game? I am really interested in playing, but 20/40 man endgame usually means that EU goons are kinda screwed unless we roll on a euro server and join a larger pubbie guild.

I'd say we've got about 15-20 active players on the Dominion guild already, and that's not including all of the people currently playing Exile to not spoil the Dominion side or something. I don't know if we'll have enough for 40s without pubs, but 20s are likely.

As far as EU goes, you guys don't look so good so far.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

a cat on an apple posted:

I'd say we've got about 15-20 active players on the Dominion guild already, and that's not including all of the people currently playing Exile to not spoil the Dominion side or something. I don't know if we'll have enough for 40s without pubs, but 20s are likely.

Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. So far the only MMO I played in which it was possible to be with goons and do endgame is FF14, because nothing requires more than 8 people. GW2, also, but it doesn't really have an endgame in a traditional meaning of that word.

Still upset that this same situation ruined Rift for me :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have two gathering professions will I have to manually change my mining/chopping tool each time the resource changes? I'm struggling for Iron Chunks as an architect, so wanna get a backlog going.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If Architect is like Engineering from WoW, then one gathering skill should keep you leveling but every so often you'll need other gathering mats to help you get over some speed bumps along the way.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

You can only have one tool equipped at a time, so if you have two you would need to keep the other in your inventory. However you don't need a tool to harvest nodes, you can just hit them with your attacks. You don't get any extra resources by using a tool, it just tends to get the job done a bit faster.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

a cat on an apple posted:

Yea It's not looking good at all the EU guild has a measley 3 members in it including myself :ughh:

I'll probably play with mates come release maybe a circle with goon members is a better option than an actual EU goon guild.

If your EU and you want to do 20/40 people raids and warplots with goons I think US is looking the way to go.

In other news anyone have pictures of the interior of the Spaceship preorder housing plot?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Maybe us EU goons are just too lazy to join a guild in beta/are waiting for the game proper to play.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea It's not looking good at all the EU guild has a measley 3 members in it including myself :ughh:

I'll probably play with mates come release maybe a circle with goon members is a better option than an actual EU goon guild.

If you're EU and you want to do 20/40 people raids and warplots with goons I think US is looking the way to go.

In other news anyone have pictures of the interior of the Spaceship preorder housing plot?

You're never on when I'm on to send you a message!

quote:

Explorer path scavenger hunts get a heck of a lot easier when you press the little > in your path log thing
What were you clicking that made such a difference to you? All it does is remind you of the clues.

Unstoppable Hiatus
May 29, 2006

Stare like a junkie
Into the TV :pwn:
I'm made a character on EU Kazak last night and will be on irc when I'm not at work.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
These seem to be the continent maps that replace those ugly placeholders:
https://dribbble.com/shots/1546239-Continent-Maps/attachments/235806
https://dribbble.com/shots/1546239-Continent-Maps/attachments/235807
https://dribbble.com/shots/1546239-Continent-Maps/attachments/235809
https://dribbble.com/shots/1546239-Continent-Maps?list=users&offset=1

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I'm going to be on and off on Hazak today as SassyB. Toss me a whisper if I'm online, or a friend request if I'm not, and I can get you an guild invite.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Ha, you weren't kidding about not being good at guild stuff were you? Chill out, there will be quite a few EU goons when live rolls out. We might well have to recruit/merge with pubbies but we can deal with that when it happens.

VoLaTiLe posted:

If your EU and you want to do 20/40 people raids and warplots with goons I think US is looking the way to go.
Yeah, don't do this. Telegraph dodging with 200ms latency is not fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

tjume posted:

These seem to be the continent maps that replace those ugly placeholders:

I'm a bit of a map nerd but it still feels strange that the map has a placeholder this late in the game. It's something you're looking at all the time! I also hate that I can't move it to the side to keep my list of quests up AND the map, without having it half covered up, really annoying.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the striped areas expansion content or areas not accessible because of the cap? Seems pretty weird to have unaccessible space right in the middle on the continent.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the striped areas expansion content or areas not accessible because of the cap? Seems pretty weird to have unaccessible space right in the middle on the continent.

Some of it is accessible just empty terrain
Other areas like south of Whitevale (Murkmire) and Illium/Auroria (Dreadmoor) are future content blocked by green forcefields at the moment that are rumored to open up in one of the post-launch monthly updates

edit: names taken from datamined maps that people have posted on various sites - it's likely that they could change

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

dreffen posted:

And then my hamsterball stopped obeying the laws of physics.

Can everyone get hamster balls or only chua?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Going to give Spellslinger/Explorer an extended try since a fellow goon told me Explorer is more than just jumping puzzles and gets to find rad hidden caves and poo poo. Someone on Nexus toss SpaceMost an invite so I can shoot the poo poo with everyone?

e: Dominion side of course; Chua supremacy!

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 15, 2014

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Draynar posted:

I saw a Drakkari in one yesterday, so maybe anyone?

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, how the hell am I going to find time for PVP, PVE AND house decoration at the same time come retail launch. :negative:

Don't worry about that, I'm sure the server/client crashes will give you plenty of free time.

If we're lucky, Carbine might also implement a queueing system ala Swtor.

I joke, I joke, I hope it goes smooth.

Rorus Raz posted:

If Architect is like Engineering from WoW, then one gathering skill should keep you leveling but every so often you'll need other gathering mats to help you get over some speed bumps along the way.

Pretty much this. If you go Mining and Architect, you'll be fine for leveling and still be profitable. Right now the sell to merchant prices on a number of simple Architect items needing only ore are fairly high. So even if you had to buy mats off the CX you still can make some money.

Besides, let other people harvest those drat trees.

Mount Desert fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 15, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Draynar posted:

Anyone Dominion-side can get it, there's no race-restricted mounts right now I think.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Housing. But gently caress houses. :buddy:

My character's sleeping area. Put some bushes and trees around the back to cover the mound, and put together a bed (the Sheep plushie wasn't added when I took this screenshot) for all her needs. Cheap, crappy living with all her worldly belongings shoved in that box to the left. Took me far, far, far too long to get the bed roll and mattress to a size and angle I was happy with. I also spent about half hour getting a bunch of planks and weights sorted atop the canopy, because it was bugging the shite out of me that it wasn't visibly attached to anything. Green grass for toilet privacy.

Little tinkering area I put together in the garden. Used hanging wire and a detonator to look as if she's powering the hover bed with a battery pack, and added some hammers and junk around the landmine/rocket just to give an idea of how little clue she's got when it comes to creating explosives. I wanted to add more stuff to this but it's drained my bank account and I should really grind for some more money before continuing.

Definitely saving for my mount before anything else in retail. As soon as I get to the point I can buy one all my money dissapears into housing, and welp.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Taear posted:

I'm a bit of a map nerd but it still feels strange that the map has a placeholder this late in the game. It's something you're looking at all the time! I also hate that I can't move it to the side to keep my list of quests up AND the map, without having it half covered up, really annoying.
The whole drat game constantly screams 'unfinished' even though I'm enjoying it. I only hope they get enough people to play to actually complete all the functionality and squash the more ridiculous bugs, some of which have been around for months. They have at least managed to spit and duct tape together something fun and playable, but I guess even that was delayed by months. It doesn't help that I'm used to clusterfuck launches like Anarchy Online so my expectations are unreasonably low. If anyone is on the fence about this game you really need to try it while it's free and get an idea of whether you can put up with this for a while longer or wait a few months and hope it doesn't get liquidated before they fix poo poo.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
I voted Exile, but I'm going to roll Dominion just to avoid ever having to go to Thayd.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Can I get an invite to Bad Rats for Jeskald please?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Taear posted:

If you press the "ghost" button up in the right corner of the map (looked like a pacman ghost in the old ui, haven't really looked at this after ui 2.0 so I hope it's not gone), it'll turn into a transparent overlay instead. It's not quite what you're asking for, but it's at least something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Housing. But gently caress houses. :buddy:
You should build a groverhouse. You're almost there, you just need the "falling in" part.

• Locked thread