Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I want Roland to pull a Steve C so I never have to hear from him or about him again. He's the most hateable person I've ever heard on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

I want Roland to pull a Steve C so I never have to hear from him or about him again. He's the most hateable person I've ever heard on the show.

obese, mid-30s, anger issues, he won't be around much longer

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

obese, mid-30s, anger issues, he won't be around much longer
I'm sorry, that's terrible.

Cromulent posted:

Opie's stupidity/ignorance/opieness really shows through whenever they talk about gay issues. Regarding the Michael Sam kiss, he said "Even my gay friends would think that's disgusting!!" Uh, okay Opster. It's about on-par when he said "A gay Boy Scout leader would probably be really into young boys coming of age, right? That's the type of thing a gay guy would love, right?" I'm not even saying he's homophobic or anything, he's just incredibly dumb.
any two people having an unexpectedly intimate cake-smeared PDA is a nauseating thing for vulture-esque news cameras to focus on, is his point. And this is one extremely rare thing he's not incorrect about

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Cromulent posted:

Opie's stupidity/ignorance/opieness really shows through whenever they talk about gay issues. Regarding the Michael Sam kiss, he said "Even my gay friends would think that's disgusting!!" Uh, okay Opster. It's about on-par when he said "A gay Boy Scout leader would probably be really into young boys coming of age, right? That's the type of thing a gay guy would love, right?" I'm not even saying he's homophobic or anything, he's just incredibly dumb.
Well, all of them are also convinced lesbian gym teachers spend their time lusting after their students. When it comes down to them, all three of them have the combined IQ of a goldfish. Which makes it even more ironic how much they love trashing Vos for being dumb. Which he is, granted, but still.

Speaking of dumb, I love the homophobic, racist caller saying he didn't want to have to explain homosexuality to his 13 year son. What rock does he live under that he genuinely thinks his 13 year old kid has no comprehension of homosexuality. I'm pretty sure I knew about homosexuality (and was completely unfazed by it) by the time I was 11 or 12, and this would have been back in 1991-92 when a majority of the public wasn't socially accepting of it and before there was an internet. I kept waiting for someone to call that guy out but instead Opie derailed it into talking about giving his kid timeouts so that he could "check his numbers." :rolleyes:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Opie and Anthony are not the best people to turn to for good thoughts on parenting and child-rearing. As this segment demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyfy87F3b4

Highlights include:

An Oklahoma cop who admitted to helping parents by holding their kids down so they could beat/spank them

Opie and Anthony completely missing the entire cause of the argument in question for the first thirty minutes

A cavaclade of cruel and unusual psychological tortures delivered by parents unto their children, supplied by the American people and also Anthony.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Bobby Kelly and Rich Vos calling to thrash the podcast in the dark guy on Ron and Fez on Monday was hilarious.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Droopy Goines posted:

Bobby Kelly and Rich Vos calling to thrash the podcast in the dark guy on Ron and Fez on Monday was hilarious.

That was really funny.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Droopy Goines posted:

louis j gomez. he does a podcast with big jay, he's pretty annoying but he's a good one to poo poo on.

I love that laughter will be enhanced with the dark. Laughter the long forgotten 7th sense

Good lineup though

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I wish they recorded shelby during whats in the box, creepy stuff.

Eyeeegh

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 15, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So are O&A still planning on ditching Sirius come October and going to Podcasting full time?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So are O&A still planning on ditching Sirius come October and going to Podcasting full time?

They're going to join up with Ron, who will dump Fez around the same time.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Did they ever say what the good idea Patton Oswalt gave them was? I can't remember when exactly, think it was earlier this year or late last year and they were bitching(again) about SXM and how good podcasters have it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They wouldn't say on air what the idea was.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Dave posted:

They wouldn't say on air what the idea was.

"Do the Satellite/Terrestrial split thing again?"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I would, they're obviously not wanted. Even by most of the people in this thread.

I'd miss them but what are you gonna do. At least maybe Ron would invite one in to be Fez for a day now and then.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Don't they have new bosses in Liberty Media or whatever? That definitely throws another interesting dynamic into re-signing.

And I can't imagine Patton's advice being anything other than "Join ______ comedy podcast network." I mean what else is anyone doing? Maria Menouous's boyfriend had some sort of advice for them too, but I think he runs some no-name streaming service as well.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 15, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would be stunned if they don't resign. No other gig is going to pay them even close to as much as Sirius will.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Dave posted:

I would be stunned if they don't resign. No other gig is going to pay them even close to as much as Sirius will.

They'll re-sign.

A few million a year and decent enough exposure to do a show that they pretty much just have to show up for.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

They'll re-sign.

A few million a year and decent enough exposure to do a show that they pretty much just have to show up for.

Yeah, they're not going anywhere. They're going to milk it to eat up the quarter hours and then drop it after the signing.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
They wax lyrical about podcasts being the future, but most, if not all of the people doing them have a main career and the podcasts are a sideline. It doesn't seem like a viable solution.

Their interviews are abysmal and most of the fun parts of the show these days are the spontaneous ones.

They've also admitted they don't actual have concrete figures on how many people listen now and they only seem to attract a limited number of lovely sponsors, I can't see them giving up a guaranteed paycheck for a podcast that might be a complete bomb.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 15, 2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stotty posted:

They wax lyrical about podcasts being the future, but most, if not all of the people doing them have a main career and the podcasts are a sideline. It doesn't seem like a viable solution.

Their interviews are abysmal and most of the fun parts of the show these days are the spontaneous ones.

They've also admitted they don't actual have concrete figures on how many people listen now and they only seem to attract a limited number of lovely sponsors, I can't see them giving up a guaranteed paycheck for a podcast that might be a complete bomb.

Does Ant still do Live from the Compound? I can see them making some headways there, and maybe seeing if they can have some wiggle room on doing more things outside of the show as a way to promote the show and get a few more avenues open to them.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stotty posted:

I can see Opie doing something stupid because "the views, maaaaaaaaan". Their terrible interviews have been the spotlight of the weekend recaps for years. Opie might not have FU money, but if he moves out of his box in the sky I doubt he's got a problem. So it's stupid maybe, but I don't think it's impossible. They always talk about how you should go out at the top of your game rather than linger on anyway, and Sirius has shown they're not going to let them get any higher. Or even really appreciate them for what they did get.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I can't imagine them doing a podcast solely for the technological reasons. Opie still plays audio clips off of CDs and has an entire staff to prepare stuff for him. I'm pretty sure he has the guys at the studio doing all his video editing, too. There's no way Opie could "steer the ship" on a DIY podcast without spending all the money they'd get on a full staff. Judging by Live from the Compound, Ant does know how to broadcast like it's not 1998, but I can't see Opie handing over the reigns.

Opie still using CDs makes me irrationally annoyed. Even on Stern's first year of Sirius they were using a shared folder to play audio files.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 15, 2014

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Holy poo poo the Voss segment was incredible. Jimmy, Ant, and Rich slamming each other was so fast. They are really amazingly fast with the put downs .

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Billy the Mountain posted:

Holy poo poo the Voss segment was incredible. Jimmy, Ant, and Rich slamming each other was so fast. They are really amazingly fast with the put downs .

Yep and then the show ground to a halt when the guy from Full Metal Jacket came in. I did find Keith pretty funny. Might have check out some more of his stuff.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

R. Lee Ermy came in a few times years ago to promote his History Channel show about weapons in History. I remember the first time went very well, as all the Full Metal Jacket poo poo was asked for the first time. Every time since them he comes on to Plug something and they rehash the same stories about Kubric and how he got started.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

R. Lee Ermy came in a few times years ago to promote his History Channel show about weapons in History. I remember the first time went very well, as all the Full Metal Jacket poo poo was asked for the first time. Every time since them he comes on to Plug something and they rehash the same stories about Kubric and how he got started.

Also as soon as Anthony asked his first political question I instantly changed the station.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
Fez getting all of Chris Stanley's workload is just a bit. Fez got demoted which is why he's just in the booth. They're switching roles and making it as negative as possible, the payoff will be pepper getting the second chair.

It's kind of a piss poor bit although I do like new fez. Booth fez is a sniper, funny and less depressed.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

That was one of the most brutal trashings they've done on the show. I think my favorite was when Vos said Bonnie's name instead of Bobby's and the exchange went something like:

Vos: Who gives a poo poo they both have tits!
Keith: No they don't.

A double slam on two people who weren't even there! That's how vicious that room was this morning.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
It boggles my mind when Anthony and whoever the other guy was admit to having over a hundred guns, then complain about gun control.

I just can't comprehend it at all.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

ChristianDB posted:

Fez getting all of Chris Stanley's workload is just a bit. Fez got demoted which is why he's just in the booth. They're switching roles and making it as negative as possible, the payoff will be pepper getting the second chair.

It's kind of a piss poor bit although I do like new fez. Booth fez is a sniper, funny and less depressed.
It just kinda sounds like he's putting on a front, I'm sure the cheery bullshit goes out the window after his first meltdown. Then we'll be back to "Uuuuhhhhhhh, just having a rough one. bnllllgghjhhsshhsspiiiisssssss"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Listening to the 15th's O&A show, I'm actually a little bothered that Anthony can't grasp that kids these days don't have a huge problem with homosexuality. His sarcastic, normally baiting (on the phone) "Really?" when kids said it's great and that it dumb when others say it's not natural. Then he goes on to say that most kids aren't being honest because only one child (out of like 6?) was openly bothered by the video they watched, because he assumes they're peer-pressured into accepting homosexuality.

He finishes this all off by saying the kids should watch a "Halloween Parade" down in middle village or some presumably "gay" part of New York.

I've known Anthony to be, at worst, indifferent to homosexuality and their causes. But I feel like his obsession with being "open and honest" (ie: being blatantly bigoted) makes him think that there cannot be a way that a majority can accept a liberal cause.

I normally look past his racist poo poo, but when he's going against acceptance of change right in front of him, it falls into a new level of delusion that's sort of sad to witness :(

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Ant had a completely valid point that you seem to have completely missed, that those kids are being given a shaped, leading message at a completely impressionable age and are never even given the breathing room to develop their own honest conclusions free of a pre-established narrative they would be judged for. That is the exact same type of interference as a gay kid in past decades bending to social pressure to keep their "evil" homosexuality a secret, or a child growing up with a virulently homophobic parent or two, except in that case parents at least have an expected cultural prerogative to fill their childrens' mind full of garbage during the formative years should they be terrible enough to choose to do so. Just because the "new" enforced thinking is pushed in a direction you like doesn't mean it's a positive force, the intellectually stifling mechanism is still the same.

Immediately snapping to calling something bigoted because you don't agree/comprehend the approach makes you look mentally weak. Anyone can be tolerant of something without being pressured into singing its praises. That's why it's called "tolerance", not obligated reverence.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 16, 2014

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Ant had a completely valid point that you seem to have completely missed, that those kids are being given a shaped, leading message at a completely impressionable age and are never even given the breathing room to develop their own honest conclusions free of a pre-established narrative they would be judged for. That is the exact same type of interference as a gay kid in past decades bending to social pressure to keep their "evil" homosexuality a secret, or a child growing up with a virulently homophobic parent or two, except in that case parents at least have an expected cultural prerogative to fill their childrens' mind full of garbage during the formative years should they be terrible enough to choose to do so. Just because the "new" enforced thinking is pushed in a direction you like doesn't mean it's a positive force, the intellectually stifling mechanism is still the same.

Immediately snapping to calling something bigoted because you don't agree/comprehend the approach makes you look mentally weak. Anyone can be tolerant of something without being pressured into singing its praises. That's why it's called "tolerance", not obligated reverence.

Fyi these are the same arguments people made to oppose desegregation in the 1960's. Good job.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Ant is an old man whose dad called him a human being daily and his biggest concern was his kid not turning out gay, so if nothing else I can see how that might affect Ant's view on homosexuality.

Anyone listening to the "Super Show" so far?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

So the new way is enforced thinking, but the old way isn't? Or it is, but it's accepted because it's older? It just sounds like you're arguing for the Appeal to Tradition fallacy. The honest truth is that kids accept one thing or another, it's that exposing the bigotry for what it is (an unfair judgment based on something naturally-based such as sexual preference) and instead allowing people to see beyond that to judge people on their actions, not based on something as silly as skin color, gender, or who they like to screw.

Morter posted:

Listening to the 15th's O&A show, I'm actually a little bothered that Anthony can't grasp that kids these days don't have a huge problem with homosexuality. His sarcastic, normally baiting (on the phone) "Really?" when kids said it's great and that it dumb when others say it's not natural. Then he goes on to say that most kids aren't being honest because only one child (out of like 6?) was openly bothered by the video they watched, because he assumes they're peer-pressured into accepting homosexuality.

He finishes this all off by saying the kids should watch a "Halloween Parade" down in middle village or some presumably "gay" part of New York.

I've known Anthony to be, at worst, indifferent to homosexuality and their causes. But I feel like his obsession with being "open and honest" (ie: being blatantly bigoted) makes him think that there cannot be a way that a majority can accept a liberal cause.

I normally look past his racist poo poo, but when he's going against acceptance of change right in front of him, it falls into a new level of delusion that's sort of sad to witness :(

I think it just shows that a fear of homosexuality has been errnonously taught to young boys as something that can 'corrupt' them and not as a way some people are born. And it's corrosive as it becomes this horrible fear that can be used to control people to do anything if anybody challenges their weak ego. If Anthony wants to showcase how weak his masculinity is by being afraid of homosexuals, he's more than welcome. But it makes him look stupid.

In fact, it makes a lot of the people on the show look stupid. It's just gay guys, who the hell cares?

Cromulent posted:

Ant is an old man whose dad called him a human being daily and his biggest concern was his kid not turning out gay, so if nothing else I can see how that might affect Ant's view on homosexuality.

Anyone listening to the "Super Show" so far?

Jimmy is there for this? Steven Knight is on top of it? I'm there!!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

I call Anthony bigoted because whenever he wants to be "open and honest", he wants to say all non-articulate black people are violent, hoodie-wearing gang bangers with 20 kids on the government till. He wants to use "human being" as a way to label things that he finds negative, despite the fact that the meaning has grown to something more targeted towards people normally subject to being ostracized or random acts of violence. I understand he's old school and stubborn, but the point is that he attempts to use "honesty" as a vehicle of just saying hurtful things with impunity, because he never listens to the honesty of how white, straight, well-to-do people hurt others.

So when I hear him say these kids aren't being honest, I feel he's not expressing disbelief in the children's accepting words, but rather that there isn't enough hatred from these children. It's as if anger and repulsion should be expected, and thus bias or dishonesty is on display when it's not shown.

With how the past few decades have been more about accepting all forms of people from all walks of life, I'm honestly not surprised most of those children are going "Yeah sure, whatever!" or "Aww that's nice :shobon:" to two strangers marrying. I suspect it took more than that video to make them reach positive judgements, so as biased as the video might be, I don't blame it on whoever made or edited the video, but rather whoever raised those dishonest, indiscriminately tolerant children. :arghfist:

Edit: I don't mean to make a big to do about gay issues or anything. I started this all expressing my surprise with Anthony. I'm aware of his bigotry and how it somewhat extends to homosexuals, but since the video had something to do with gay rights, I didn't think he'd care about the video. So his twist on it surprised me, is all. :smith:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 16, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Everything you need to know:

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

That's literally every generation. If not, we'd still be loving young boys because of the Hellenistic era and sacrificing people to sun gods. gently caress, we would still be throwing our garbage outside our cars if it wasn't for a crying Indian. Responsibility of every generation is to make it easier for the next to live in a better place. Instead of looking at Anthonys high school dropout perspective and trolling people I'll indulge you on this idea. It's not intellectually stifling anyone, it's teaching people not to give a poo poo just because someone has a different preference. All messages are extreme to a point (so people actually watch and talk about it) but the individual who is intelligent enough can make up there own mind in the end. If you were born in the last 30 years you were apart of the war on drugs. Yet we have weed legalized in 2 states. People are intelligent to wade through the bullshit, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Morter posted:

I call Anthony bigoted because whenever he wants to be "open and honest", he wants to say all non-articulate black people are violent, hoodie-wearing gang bangers with 20 kids on the government till. He wants to use "human being" as a way to label things that he finds negative, despite the fact that the meaning has grown to something more targeted towards people normally subject to being ostracized or random acts of violence. I understand he's old school and stubborn, but the point is that he attempts to use "honesty" as a vehicle of just saying hurtful things with impunity, because he never listens to the honesty of how white, straight, well-to-do people hurt others.

So when I hear him say these kids aren't being honest, I feel he's not expressing disbelief in the children's accepting words, but rather that there isn't enough hatred from these children. It's as if anger and repulsion should be expected, and thus bias or dishonesty is on display when it's not shown.

With how the past few decades have been more about accepting all forms of people from all walks of life, I'm honestly not surprised most of those children are going "Yeah sure, whatever!" or "Aww that's nice :shobon:" to two strangers marrying. I suspect it took more than that video to make them reach positive judgements, so as biased as the video might be, I don't blame it on whoever made or edited the video, but rather whoever raised those dishonest, indiscriminately tolerant children. :arghfist:

Edit: I don't mean to make a big to do about gay issues or anything. I started this all expressing my surprise with Anthony. I'm aware of his bigotry and how it somewhat extends to homosexuals, but since the video had something to do with gay rights, I didn't think he'd care about the video. So his twist on it surprised me, is all. :smith:

This.

That said, I've been waiting for Lady Di to show up on the Super Show. I hope she brings more about her crackhead days to light because she seems to be a fount of depressing hilarity.

• Locked thread