Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

On the subject of dubs better than the originals, you should watch Ultimate Muscle. It's just amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Who the hell watches dubs in the year 2014?

The Baccano! Dub would like to have a word with you, pal. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You can fight me with your actual examples of good dubs, but I rest easily knowing I represent the true anime experience.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Namtab posted:

You can fight me with your actual examples of good dubs, but I rest easily knowing I represent the true anime experience.

I wish I knew enough Japanese to watch anime raw... How do you get Japanese cable channels, though?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The Space Dandy dub is fantastic, and I actually prefer it over the original. Sometimes you get good audio directors and script supervisors, and sometimes they're just asleep at the wheel and cast Vic Mignona.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn't there some card game show that played itself totally straight and was horribly mediocre in Japan, but the dub was completely rewritten as a parody of card shows and was actually pretty funny?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

Wasn't there some card game show that played itself totally straight and was horribly mediocre in Japan, but the dub was completely rewritten as a parody of card shows and was actually pretty funny?

Sounds like Duel Masters.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I know there's no need for it, but all this talk about Panty and Stocking makes me wish they'd make another season. Stupid fun shows are just so rare.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

chumbler posted:

I recall the Yugioh GX dub referenced the Abridged Series more than once.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, at many points, I would say that the dub is funnier to me than the original. I think it's just that the style of humor PSG goes for is one best appreciated in one's own language. Most of the comedy in the Japanese track is listening to Japanese women curse in English.

Half the reason I watch subs is just so I can hear Japanese VAs butcher gratuitous English. Also, just to be honest, Japanese women cursing in English is the funniest thing of all time. I'm looking at you, Graisaia no Kajitsu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jackofarcades posted:

Half the reason I watch subs is just so I can hear Japanese VAs butcher gratuitous English. Also, just to be honest, Japanese women cursing in English is the funniest thing of all time. I'm looking at you, Graisaia no Kajitsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3a6R4m5Rg

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Namtab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3BuDW1qh4

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hey all. I don't know if it's playing in American theatres, but if it is, go watch "Short Peace". It's really good and worth the price of admission alone for the short "Gambo" but the rest ranges from okay to great as well. However, if the idea of a huge bear fighting a demon appeals to you, Gambo is loving amazing and has you covered. Go watch it if you can. It's only a little over an hour long.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

The zombie episode where Stocking shouts 'Motherfucker!' (in the cutest way imaginable) followed by Panty's 'Fatherfucker!' has to be my favourite part of the whole series.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Pretty much the only thing I can think of that I've gone out of my way to watch dubbed recently was FMA: Brotherhood, and that's largely because I saw a few episodes of the 2003 show on Adult Swim as a kid and it's really hard for me to separate the characters from their dub voices. Same reason why I can't watch DBZ or G Gundam subbed, really.

e: That said, I'm surprised KLK is getting a dub so fast. It's a pretty good show, but it's also niche as gently caress, and I'd be surprised if it even sells very well; I'm pretty sure if they tried to get it on Toonami, Williams Street's response would just be a flat "gently caress no."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 15, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'll be surprised if it sells at all, considering that Aniplex is gonna jack up the prices to Japanese levels. Dammit Aniplex, I just want to own Madoka! No, a bumper sticker does not justify spending $120 bucks on four episodes.

e: I'm still surprised that Madoka never ran on Toonami. I guess Toonami depends too much on people who are channel surfing and can't afford to air a show that most people wouldn't even look at.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 15, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

I'll be surprised if it sells at all, considering that Aniplex is gonna jack up the prices to Japanese levels. Dammit Aniplex, I just want to own Madoka! No, a bumper sticker does not justify spending $120 bucks on four episodes.

e: I'm still surprised that Madoka never ran on Toonami. I guess Toonami depends too much on people who are channel surfing and can't afford to air a show that most people wouldn't even look at.

Aniplex only sells things at Japanese levels when they are literally selling you the same blu-rays they sell in Japan. Their regular disks are still expensive, but just not that bad. For example, the actual US disks for Madoka are $40

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That's still 10 bucks an episode, costing $120+ for the season. Somehow Funimation gets off selling 13 episodes for $40, with bonus features.

But this is a problem that's already been discussed. Is anybody watching Attack on Titan on Toonami? I gave up at about episode 8 when it just got too dumb for me, but maybe I should give it another go. How's that dub so far?

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: That said, I'm surprised KLK is getting a dub so fast. It's a pretty good show, but it's also niche as gently caress

I think it's actually pretty popular amongst girls for the same reason Panty and Stocking was: badass female MCs. Go to a convention in the next month or so and you'll see dozens of cosplays.

Despite the show's flaws, it was pretty much a girlie TTGL for me.

HellCopter posted:

That's still 10 bucks an episode, costing $120+ for the season. Somehow Funimation gets off selling 13 episodes for $40, with bonus features.

But this is a problem that's already been discussed. Is anybody watching Attack on Titan on Toonami? I gave up at about episode 8 when it just got too dumb for me, but maybe I should give it another go. How's that dub so far?

This is why I pirate :colbert: I really try to buy as much as I can but drat. Does subscribing to Netflix count as supporting Madoka?

I enjoyed AoT but I wouldn't say it gets any less dumb after that point. They still haven't made it to the basement.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Eh, apparently there's a new Initial D movie (remake) coming out, and they've changed the entire voice cast. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjfHGdkDfQ

Such a waste.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Redcrimson posted:

I wish I knew enough Japanese to watch anime raw... How do you get Japanese cable channels, though?

No, Namtab's got it right. As someone who knows enough Japanese to cringe at Nisio Isin's puns and wordplay, half the charm of watching fansubs (or some official subs for that matter) is just trying to make sense of the stuff translators come up with to make something understandable.

Like the Commie guys renaming Attack on Titan “The Eotena Onslaught”. That was so precious. xD

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Authentic schmauthentic. :colbert: As a person who doesn't know any Japanese and doesn't care to learn, I don't give a hoot about which version is "closer to the original", I just go with whichever is more entertaining to me. Which, in my case comes down to about 50/50.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

HellCopter posted:

I've got to grudgingly give 4Kids and Konami credit for selling complete Yugioh seasons for $40 a pop. Granted it's dub only and lacking any bonus features, but it's still only about 75 cents an episode, which is pretty cool.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Wark Say posted:

No, Namtab's got it right. As someone who knows enough Japanese to cringe at Nisio Isin's puns and wordplay, half the charm of watching fansubs (or some official subs for that matter) is just trying to make sense of the stuff translators come up with to make something understandable.

Like the Commie guys renaming Attack on Titan “The Eotena Onslaught”. That was so precious. xD

I think you need to turn in your anime pass. :colbert:
Seriously, those were the best part of Medaka Box and what I like about the Japanese language. It has only so many sounds so puns and word play are things that will happen often and Nisioisin does it pretty well.

And re:The Eotena Onslaught
I loved their explanation as to why they renamed it that. "He's Japanese so he has no clue what english words mean" :allears: fansubbers.txt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm pretty sure if they tried to get it on Toonami, Williams Street's response would just be a flat "gently caress no."

This has already been their response when asked about the possibility.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kay Kessler posted:

I've got to grudgingly give 4Kids and Konami credit for selling complete Yugioh seasons for $40 a pop. Granted it's dub only and lacking any bonus features, but it's still only about 75 cents an episode, which is pretty cool.

The Japanese VAs are expensive as gently caress to license and it's cheaper to dub, yet somehow the actors make the same as an average fast food worker in Japan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought they said they would have to edit it if they were to air it? I mean if that means getting rid/editing of the creepy Ragyo scenes then by all means.

And yeah I usually watch the dubs over the subs since I usually watch anime on Toonami. KLK was the first sub I ever watched and I can see why people like subs though. Now I'm wondering what role they are going to give Bryce for KLK.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Does squid girl really make a squid pun in every sentence?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought they said they would have to edit it if they were to air it? I mean if that means getting rid/editing of the creepy Ragyo scenes then by all means.

Well, consider that fact that the majority of the cast spends the entire last quarter of the series butt-rear end naked. It'd probably be way too much editing to bother with, like the case of Panty and Stocking.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

Does squid girl really make a squid pun in every sentence?

P.much yeah.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

P.much yeah.

They had to do the unBEAR able puns with Teddie in Persona 4 as well, although in that case his Japanese counterpart was nails on a chalkboard saying kuma randomly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah pretty much what I thought. I have a nasty feeling that whoever's dubbing Kill la Kill is gonna take a major bath on it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Though Squid Girl does do squid puns in Japanese too, both of them are more to substitute for vocal tics that don't translate to English very well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

I loved their explanation as to why they renamed it that. "He's Japanese so he has no clue what english words mean" :allears: fansubbers.txt

They had part of reason. It's true Japanese are bad with English and they have botched other titles and character names previously... but the 'Eotena' thing explanation was pure snobbery.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah pretty much what I thought. I have a nasty feeling that whoever's dubbing Kill la Kill is gonna take a major bath on it.

It's okay, because it's Aniplex. They're just gonna charge like 500 bucks for the series and that'll be enough.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Postal Parcel posted:

I think you need to turn in your anime pass. :colbert:
Seriously, those were the best part of Medaka Box and what I like about the Japanese language. It has only so many sounds so puns and word play are things that will happen often and Nisioisin does it pretty well.

I don't dislike puns and wordplay: I like them. A lot. A life of growing up with parents listening to/watching George Carlin made me develop an appreciation for puns / wordplay (and foul-language, I suppose). It's just that enjoying them doesn't change the fact that they make me cringe / facepalm, like when in Hyouka (spoilers because I really liked the scenario) they explain as to why the Classic Literature's Anthology is called Hyouka in the first place. It's fitting and all, but it also makes you feel like somebody put it there just so they could get a kick out of you figuring out the why of the pun/wordplay. :cripes:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Luckily Squid Girl is funny despite horrible puns, not because of them. If I had to watch the dub I'd probably go deaf.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't understand how someone could see horrible puns as being detrimental to a show's humor. You'd have to be some sort of horrible monster, I guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Turin Turambar posted:

They had part of reason. It's true Japanese are bad with English and they have botched other titles and character names previously... but the 'Eotena' thing explanation was pure snobbery.

Yeah, to be fair the "English" title as created by the author does actually mean the total opposite of what it's supposed to mean. But there's a difference between correcting grammar and changing noun choice. I mean if he says that in the fictional world he created, these particular monsters are called "titans" then he kinda has final say on that, even if it was a stupid choice. It's not really the role of the translator to correct mistakes in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wark Say posted:

I don't dislike puns and wordplay: I like them. A lot. A life of growing up with parents listening to/watching George Carlin made me develop an appreciation for puns / wordplay (and foul-language, I suppose). It's just that enjoying them doesn't change the fact that they make me cringe / facepalm, like when in Hyouka (spoilers because I really liked the scenario) they explain as to why the Classic Literature's Anthology is called Hyouka in the first place. It's fitting and all, but it also makes you feel like somebody put it there just so they could get a kick out of you figuring out the why of the pun/wordplay. :cripes:

That was an incredibly stupid loving pun even by pun standards, mind.

• Locked thread