Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I think Tony's gambit with the special power immunity idol could work and was very smart. If he had played his "normal" idol on Trish, they would have known the other one is no good after f5, because why give up the safety to reach f3 just to drag Trish along.

This is a good point.

Tony can now say to everyone, "I voted out Trish because I didn't need her anyway, because with my special idol you can't vote me out". This is believable, him voting out his closest ally to keep crazy Kass makes it look like he doesn't feel he is in any danger.

Assuming a final 3, Kass and Woo are now guaranteed to make it, and it's just a question of whether Spencer or Tony goes with them. If one of them wins immunity, the other goes home. If Kass wins immunity (1 in 1000 chance of that happening), Spencer goes home. I'm not sure who goes home if Woo wins, but probably Spencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't appreciate Kass's play there; it's the one scenario in which #ChaosKass actually made sense strategically. Tony has straight-up told her that he wants to take her to the final three. She knows that people hating Tony is her best chance at winning. Getting him agitated and filling in Woo increases her odds in that regard, and she knows she's all but untouchable in his eyes so it's risk-free. The only way it could backfire is if Tony gets extremely personal, which is both out of character for him and ultimately a moot point, since she needs to be sitting next to a despised Tony. It helps that the vote ultimately weakened his claim to "mastermind" status, too.
She was already going final three, so hm, I'd say it backfires if it makes Kass even more hated and terrible, which it did if that's even possible, while making Tony more sympathetic, which it probably did with the llama voice and crazy poo poo he said about Kass that everyone agrees with. As far as boots, if Spencer won immunity one of them was going to have to be booted anyway, so I'm not sure it really mixed anything up there either. Maybe it saved Woo over Trish, maybe, but I don't think that's particularly good for Kass.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Imagine a curveball from the producers: Final 2.

Woo vs. Kass

Imagine.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pulp Can Move posted:

Kass: "Tony has pissed everyone off. If I can make it to the end with him, I think I can win."
Tony: "Kass, I'm planning to take you to the end with me."
Kass: *Sets the world ablaze.*

Seriously what was up with that though? She would've been better going with Tony and letting him betray Woo.

Maybe she's just given up caring completely about the Jury because she knows she won't beat anyone?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Seriously what was up with that though? She would've been better going with Tony and letting him betray Woo.

Maybe she's just given up caring completely about the Jury because she knows she won't beat anyone?

I think she's trying to make herself look like a goat for Tony because she's banking on being able to lie out of her rear end at final tribal and have him lose his cool.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If Kass was even halfway likeable, I'd have no problems with her winning. Most of her moves aren't made out of strategy; they're made out of malice and calling Trish "skeletor" and flipping her off behind her back just reeks of insecurity and being a petty, nasty person. I'm fine with attacks on someone's game, but don't attack them personally (fat, skinny, ugly, whatever).

I was a huge Tony fan I've soured on his promises on his wife child dead dad badge schtick. For now, I'm firmly in the Woo and Spencer camp. Woo is such a nice, naïve young man and I'm SO hoping this is all an act and this whole season has been him playing a part. Spencer is probably the best scrambler in recent memory, even if he is a bit thickheaded in thinking his way is the only way to play. But you have to have a plan and have confidence in that plan so I suppose he's doing what he thinks he needs to do to win.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tide posted:

I was a huge Tony fan I've soured on his promises on his wife child dead dad badge schtick. Spencer is probably the best scrambler in recent memory, even if he is a bit thickheaded in thinking his way is the only way to play. But you have to have a plan and have confidence in that plan so I suppose he's doing what he thinks he needs to do to win.

I find it hard to like Tony precisely because he has been on the top for so long; he's been leader of the majority since the merge, he's had a battered alliance that keeps trusting him after every lie and backstab, plus he's had idols falling onto him out of trees Hantz style. He wants to claim a home run when he was walked to third.

Spencer I have a lot more respect for and I like him more because he has been scrambling, and beautifully. He's been in the crosshairs again and again and each time he manages to dodge it and inch a bit closer to his goal. I admire that kind of game-playing.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Bigass Moth posted:

Imagine a curveball from the producers: Final 2.

Woo vs. Kass

Imagine.

Everyone votes "None of the Above".

I think we can all agree that the best possible final would be Spencer/Kass/Tony.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really look forward to seeing Spencer come back and what he could do without being on the bottom for all but two episodes of the entire season.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CODChimera posted:

Tony at FTC if things go his way:
:smuggo: I was in control of the game the whole time! I decided who stayed and who went, give me the money.

Tony at FTC if Kass keeps trolling him:
:supaburn: WHY YOU GOTTA BE SO STUPID KASS YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DIDN'T BETRAY ANYONE *llama noises*

She's trying to knock him off his game for FTC. It's a good strategy. See also: Survivor Vanuatu ending.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

blue squares posted:

I really look forward to seeing Spencer come back and what he could do without being on the bottom for all but two episodes of the entire season.

Only if we get scenes of Spencer contemplating his next move while a flashback Tony voice over plays where he gives Spencer advice while calling him a lad.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
The TV IV > Survivor Cagayan: *llama noises*

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2014

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Tony on transporting idols to tribal council.

I'm going to be bummed if the Tony's fireside chats with Spencer end after the season. So awesome.

What is he saying here? He slept on his bag to hide his idols and kept them in his pants (specifically the crotch) when they weren't in his bag?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I'm not sure if Kass is flirting with Russell or what here...

I don't really like Kass, but this was great.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

Tony at FTC if Kass keeps trolling him:
:supaburn: WHY YOU GOTTA BE SO STUPID KASS YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DIDN'T BETRAY ANYONE *llama noises*

This, this is why I want them both at the FTC (whether the third is Woo or Spencer, I don't really mind): the potential for delicious, hilarious stuff. I cracked up when Tony did the llama noises the first time; somehow, it was still funny when he did it again at tribal council. Aside from Kass's petty name-calling, I enjoyed last night's TC immensely and can't remember the last time I was so entertained/amused.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Tide posted:

If Kass was even halfway likeable, I'd have no problems with her winning. Most of her moves aren't made out of strategy; they're made out of malice and calling Trish "skeletor" and flipping her off behind her back just reeks of insecurity and being a petty, nasty person. I'm fine with attacks on someone's game, but don't attack them personally (fat, skinny, ugly, whatever).

Richard Hatch on RHAP observed that her whole "cold, detached, logical" persona is entirely an act and she's been playing an intensely personal, bitter game ruled by her emotions making petty impulsive decisions.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

What is he saying here? He slept on his bag to hide his idols and kept them in his pants (specifically the crotch) when they weren't in his bag?

It sounds like he dumped out his bag to prove he didn't have anything then went to medical for a pretend issue so he could pull the idols out of his underwear and stick them into the bag that was just idol-less and the tent people thought it was gross.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

BGrifter posted:

Richard Hatch on RHAP observed that her whole "cold, detached, logical" persona is entirely an act and she's been playing an intensely personal, bitter game ruled by her emotions making petty impulsive decisions.

This is why other people hate Kass, but why she's one of my favorite Survivor players ever. Mostly for comedy reasons. Every single hypocritical or unselfaware statement she makes is Comedy Gold.
I almost want her to win, because the circumstances that would be necessary for that to happen would have to be really, really funny. Tony would have to selfdestruct completely, and then Spencer would have to go ballistic. And even then I don't know how she beats Woo. So Kass's best scenario is Woo out first, because she can get under the skin of Tony and Spencer, but Woo is too chill. I mean, her tactic's not going to work, but it's a strategy. And that strategy is BURN CARTHAGE DOWN, SALT THE EARTH.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Kass' big plan to blow up Tony's final 3 was incredibly short sighted. Not that she was going to get any votes in the first place, but in doing so she acted like a tattle tale and pissed off Tony, Trish and Woo. It made even less sense considering Tony promised her a final 3 spot anyway! She has no social awareness and refuses to wipe the smug grin off her face at any point, even when she's completely, obviously, in the wrong. Maybe that kind of personality is good in the court room where you have all the facts in front of you, but it does not work in a socially and physically draining game where anything can change at any time.

I get what she was trying to do: cause a fallout between Tony and Woo. She went about it in the most hamfisted way possible - it's like, Kass who gives a gently caress what you think? Everyone left is dragging you to the end as a goat and you have no shot, just sit there and be quiet.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Honestly, when's the last time a goat actually realized they were a goat?

You could make a case for Philip, but it's unclear quite how delusional he was on the island.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kass played competently, and even strategically well, up until she showed up at tc and completely poisoned herself in front of the jury for no other reason than to stick it to trish

She's a really bad player

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also I credit woos flip more to spencer being the actual, logical one who was able to patiently convince him, although Kass immediately going to woo and divulging Tonys game plan was the smart move inasmuch as destabilizing Tonys power

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Honestly, if even third place in the final tribal gets like $100k, I don't think deliberately making yourself a goat knowing there is absolutely no way you can actually win the million is that bad a strategy. It's probably the singular strategy with the highest expected value.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

I don't get the sense that anyone on the jury particularly hates Tony. Maybe Jefra? The brain/beauty alliance didn't really seem to take it personally to me.

Kass is basing her whole strategy on a bitter jury though. I'm guessing it's just more of her projecting, because anyone who would dare vote against Kass must die die die die die

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Shakugan posted:

Honestly, if even third place in the final tribal gets like $100k, I don't think deliberately making yourself a goat knowing there is absolutely no way you can actually win the million is that bad a strategy. It's probably the singular strategy with the highest expected value.

Especially if in the process of being a goat you make great TV. Kass has a great chance of being asked back for a future season.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I would imagine LJ, Jefra, and now Trish are pretty mad at Tony, and that might be enough to swing it to Woo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I've pondered before how well a strategy of telling everyone "I'm going for second place or third place, if I get to Final Tribal don't vote for me" would work out. Would people take a premade goat?

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Piell posted:

I've pondered before how well a strategy of telling everyone "I'm going for second place or third place, if I get to Final Tribal don't vote for me" would work out. Would people take a premade goat?

No because saying "don't vote for me" is no kind of guarantee that people will in fact not vote for that person

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shakugan posted:

I said this exact thing a few weeks ago, specifically to do with the "hedge your bets by guaranteeing yourself six figures, even if you have almost zero chance at the million" strategy.

However, the last few weeks have made me back off on that being Kass's plan because she really thinks she's playing a winning game and it's hilarious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kass is playing the absolute best goat game ever made, the only problem is is she thinks she's playing a winning game when she's one of the overall worst players of all time

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

But she even almost blew her free goat status, since Tony could have gotten annoyed enough to vote her off the island. Terrible

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Does Trish know that Tony didn't vote Kass? The announced results were 3-1, leaving one vote undisclosed, right?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Toaster Ding posted:

No because saying "don't vote for me" is no kind of guarantee that people will in fact not vote for that person

Asking people to vote for you, however, is also not a guarantee that they WON'T vote for you out of pity.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Does Trish know that Tony didn't vote Kass? The announced results were 3-1, leaving one vote undisclosed, right?

I hope this comes up in her jury question and he tries to claim that the Kass vote they showed was from him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Especially if in the process of being a goat you make great TV. Kass has a great chance of being asked back for a future season.
If Kass (or Tony) got brought back for a returner's season, wouldn't they be first boots? Why would you want to keep someone that takes pride in creating chaos within her own alliances or someone who finds a reason to vote out one of his allies every time he goes to tribal?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 15, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Previously I didn't think the strategy was viable because I thought there was only prize money for the winner and runner-up. A final 3 where a deliberate goat comes third (and therefore doesn't get any money) obviously isn't workable. Before this week I'd never seen mention that the third place got any money.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Poque posted:

I hope this comes up in her jury question and he tries to claim that the Kass vote they showed was from him.

Wouldn't Trish recognize her own handwriting? I can't imagine he'd try that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Kass is playing the absolute best goat game ever made, the only problem is is she thinks she's playing a winning game when she's one of the overall worst players of all time

Kass is actually a pretty awful goat. A good one is someone like Phillip who is both unlikeable but predictable and loyal. Kass is just all over the place and not worth the effort she takes to drag along. Being an empty seat at the final tribal is only half of the equation.

It's kinda depressing that dumbass Kass will likely get invited back before Tasha who played a really solid game. She was either the second or third best player on this season depending on how you view Tony but will probably get passed over so they can cast the village idiot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sand Monster posted:

Wouldn't Trish recognize her own handwriting? I can't imagine he'd try that.

that's the point. it's unlikely but Tony is also currently out of his mind so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shakugan posted:

Previously I didn't think the strategy was viable because I thought there was only prize money for the winner and runner-up. A final 3 where a deliberate goat comes third (and therefore doesn't get any money) obviously isn't workable. Before this week I'd never seen mention that the third place got any money.

Everyone gets money, even the first boot. I don't know if anyone has ever said how much it is though. I think I remember a contract being leaked once before but I may just be imagining it/confusing it with a different show.

• Locked thread