Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BQuietNDrive posted:

I've rolled an Esper on 4 separate occasions, only to delete it before hitting the 8-10 range because of the stand still crap.

At 11, you get the build mentioned in another reply, and at least in PVP, it felt like I turned on god mode. I switched to that and telekinetic storm as my finisher, added ingeist and concentrated blades, and just rolled people. I used variations of the heals as well. It basically turns the "mage/wizard" Esper into a melee Esper.
Both Engineer and Esper seem to come into their own around the 10-15 range, so I'm wondering if that's just the designed range for all classes? I am starting to get into the groove with Esper now, jam the sawblade thing twice, unleash the Geist, do the spinny AOE, throw the AOE DOT finisher, 2x Bolster for a bit of regen and free psi points, then mash on the triple swords thing until I get points back or something comes back up (usually the spinny attack again). I feel like I'm really blowing poo poo up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SlayVus posted:

Is there anyone that is a heavy armor smith? I need tank gear for my warrior, but getting drops is ridiculously hard and AH prices are insane.

I missed this, but give me your IGN and I can make you pretty much anything but the endgame 50 stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

So boom boxes are like those packs in Star Wars the Old Republic that give you items and one or two items are a rare chance at something really nice?

Yeah, they've mentioned boosters, unique mount adornments and costume pieces.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Deki posted:

Carbine, please stop, I don't think I'll be able to open all these boxes you've given me until 2015.

Haha, yeah, I know the feeling. On the other hand, I'm very happy they actually communicate and acknowledge stuff like this. I'm not really used to that after so many years of playing WoW.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

I missed this, but give me your IGN and I can make you pretty much anything but the endgame 50 stuff.

SecurT in-game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Official apology from Carbine re: the name registration problems. (And five bonus boom boxes as a further way of apology)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46736-an-apology-from-the-devs/

Also a short video on what boom boxes are.

I wonder how long it will take for people to start crying about this not being enough...

quote:

Wait so all we get is extra boomboxes which is basically a chance to get something that most people will be able to get anyway? yeah how about no? You have to be kidding me if this is what you meant by "fair across the board"

There it is! Jesus Christ gamers are the most entitled children on the planet.

Edit:

quote:

Why should people that got their names get this offer too?

:laffo:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 15, 2014

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Haha, yeah, I know the feeling. On the other hand, I'm very happy they actually communicate and acknowledge stuff like this. I'm not really used to that after so many years of playing WoW.

Same. Worried that they will get burned by honesty and taking responsibility for mistakes and get quieter as time goes on.

Responsible adults remember this sort of thing and trust the company more in the future.

Children (of all ages) remember that they TOTALLY ADMITTED IT OMFG and use it as ammunition in their next round of attacks.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Happy Big Fun posted:

Same. Worried that they will get burned by honesty and taking responsibility for mistakes and get quieter as time goes on.

Responsible adults remember this sort of thing and trust the company more in the future.

Children (of all ages) remember that they TOTALLY ADMITTED IT OMFG and use it as ammunition in their next round of attacks.

At least it serves as a good tool for filtering out the idiots you don't really want to play with. :)

Edit: vvvvv
I'm pretty sure they know that - I thought it was pretty much considered a universal truth that it's nearly always a small but loud minority that makes a fuzz over minor stuff like that?

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I wonder how much fodder the gamers.txt thread has gotten from this game alone. And it's only going to get better at launch if/when the servers break under the load of their unwashed cheeto dusted bulk.

All I can really hope is that the community team realizes that it's a small minority of people who say poo poo like that, and most of the rest of us just think "okay" and keep playing because it's really not that big of a deal, but we still make note that they're willing to make amends over things that go wrong. That sort of thing goes a long way in building up trust.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atari teenager posted:

Do we have a beta EU guild?
If yes, could I get a guild invite on EU server?
My in game character name is Weedles (Dominion side)
let me know if EU goons are on Exile and I'll just make a exile character (wanted to see their starting zones anyway)

Send a tell to Taear, SassyB or PorkPie. We're all online at the moment. Are you on Hazak?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I was searching for a compiled list of titles last night and stumbled upon a thread in one of the fan-sites titled, "Carbine has lost $20k + $4500/month".

I was going to paraphrase, but maybe I should just quote for the giggles:

quote:

So my guild of 300+ discussed how we felt about the name reservation fiasco and took a simple straw poll. Many of us were in TS hours before the first reservation period and for the second period. We took off work, hung out near hot spots, rearranged schedules to pick up kids from school or the day care to be available for the name reservation periods.

quote:

Throwing some ingame goodies at us or giving a month of free sub does not even remotely compensate for the time lost and the absolute frustration many have experienced. In some cases over 12+ hours were spent trying to get the system to accept a name request. Our decision is that if this is not rectified in such a way that all are given equal opportunity to reserve names then we will be issuing chargebacks on our credit cards

And, my favorite part of the post:

quote:

This is not players crying because someone beat them in a race to grab a name.

Please, tell us more. :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

a cat on an apple posted:

I was searching for a compiled list of titles last night and stumbled upon a thread in one of the fan-sites titled, "Carbine has lost $20k + $4500/month".

I was going to paraphrase, but maybe I should just quote for the giggles:

And, my favorite part of the post:

Please, tell us more. :allears:

1.) lol if you rescheduled things to reserve a name in an MMO
2.) lol if you spent more than a few minutes trying to work around an obviously congested website
3.) lol if you think Carbine is legally required to do anything about this
4.) How is this not people crying about losing a name grab?

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Considering playing characters named "TheRealX" where X=their names

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Carbine handled this really poorly but the amount of forums rage has more than made up for it

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Taear posted:

Send a tell to Taear, SassyB or PorkPie. We're all online at the moment. Are you on Hazak?

Baaaaa, Just hit 14 on Ascendancy.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Carbine handled this really poorly but the amount of forums rage has more than made up for it

I think there's two sides to this - the technical side of it was handled as you say, quite poorly, whereas the social side of it has been handled quite nicely instead. Really seems to be a constant with mmo-related servers and whatnot getting way more traffic than the devs anticipate, though.

And yeah, the manchildren crying on the official forums are just... :allears:

Edit: vvvv
I'm *so* waiting for some manchild on the official forums to make that comparison unironically. :)

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I think there's two sides to this - the technical side of it was handled as you say, quite poorly, whereas the social side of it has been handled quite nicely instead. Really seems to be a constant with mmo-related servers and whatnot getting way more traffic than the devs anticipate, though.

And yeah, the manchildren crying on the official forums are just... :allears:

It's like Carbine's Benghazi.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was just going to call it Reservationgate, but we could do Reservationghazi too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Once Wildstar goes live, other then I assume spending real money, what are some other ways to get those boomboxes?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Once Wildstar goes live, other then I assume spending real money, what are some other ways to get those boomboxes?

They say you can get them from events. I doubt you can buy them, but we'll see.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I said come in! posted:

AFAIK, but I'm not 100% certain about it, I think you can get them from doing end-game activities (not restricted to raiding.). At least I *think* I've read that somewhere.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/25mzfh/we_are_the_wildstar_raids_team_and_we_designed/

Raids AMA going on now.

quote:

Which encounter are you expecting to cause the most tears?

[–]CRB_Timetravel [score hidden] an hour ago

Hm. The easy answer is Avatus (last boss of Datascape, who is truly a jerk), but I think the elemental pairs in Datascape will be much tougher to learn than folks expect. Because the pairs change every week (and there are 9 possibilities, each of which is almost an entirely new encounter), guilds will spend an entire week reaching then learning a pairing... then the instance will reset and they'll be back to ground zero.

So it looks like the variation week to week is real.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I want to post this over there so bad.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!
My Draken is not amused with this taxi driver's jokes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I like that the taxi guy isn't just a holographic taxi driver, he's a holographic robot taxi driver. Wildstar, layering the jokes inside the jokes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bauxite posted:

I was just going to call it Reservationgate, but we could do Reservationghazi too.
I not only got CrashCat, but managed to reserve "Catbreaders" too despite it being right there on the web page. :coolbert:

But hey, not everyone could get Butt or Death so I guess burn Carbine to the ground.

They haven't really said how they give out Boom Boxes in the future but I would probably guess something like the SHIFT keys where they just hand them out on Twitter and poo poo. They seem like something designed to be given out without much thought or consequence.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I really really really wish the game was playable with a gamepad. I'm playing Beyond Good and Evil: MMO Edition already dammit. :argh:

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I saw a video somewhere of someone using a joypad application to map keys to Wildstar. Lemme see if I can find it.

e: oh hey that was easy. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27270-ruffs-diy-controllergamepad-support-guide/

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I really really really wish the game was playable with a gamepad. I'm playing Beyond Good and Evil: MMO Edition already dammit. :argh:

I forgot where I saw it but I think I saw someone (on the official forums maybe?) posted an xpadder config. Dunno how good it is though.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Heres some nVidia drivers with a wildstar profile, gave me a pretty decent performance boost:

64-bit http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/337.81/337.81-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta.exe
32-bit http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/337.81/337.81-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-beta.exe

Win 7/Win 8

These are beta so dont expect 100% stability.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Is it even possible for EU players to play on US? I thought I saw something like being restricted to the zone where you bought the game.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Official apology from Carbine re: the name registration problems. (And five bonus boom boxes as a further way of apology)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46736-an-apology-from-the-devs/

Also a short video on what boom boxes are.

Pulling this out of the video comments for emphasis

Carbine posted:

For each day players log into the game during Open Beta, accounts will receive 3 Boom Boxes at launch. These boxes can be used once per day to receive a random assortment of possible goodies, including XP buffs, unique runes, weapons, housing items, unique costumes, mounts, and more!

Don't not log in for the rest of the beta like I was going to

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Atari teenager posted:

Is it even possible for EU players to play on US? I thought I saw something like being restricted to the zone where you bought the game.
There's always a way to buy the other key from the other region, though I suspect if you try to get support after knowingly doing that they may grump about it. Back in the WoW days I ended up getting my European key from one of those gold-selling sites, since I didn't need a box or anything.

There have been plenty of people already on their forums who got the wrong key and ended up getting moved to EU realms when Open Beta started. If you asked nicely you could probably get your EU account switched to US but you're gonna have to get lucky on the support ticket. From what I've been seeing they mostly just ignore your :words: and send you a copy-paste FAQ until you badger them enough.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
Dear Mr. Goons, I need advice on what class to play on release. Due to a disability, my key-spamming abilities are limited. Which classes in this game are the most forgiving in terms of DPS rotation, the most face-roll if you will? Preferably, a heavy cooldown based class. For example, WoW's Arms warrior, where I can macro/autohotkey 3 abilities (Mortal Strike, Overpower, Colossus Smash) into a single button to smash. So the less buttons to push regularly, the better. Also preferably not any classes with many held-down-buttons channeling abilities.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Is there an addon (or keybind I missed) that would allow me to look in a different direction than I am going while moving without having to hold down right mouse to keep the camera there? Does Steer have this functionality?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Okay, the site is up

http://www.wildstargoons.com/

Please goonrush this site and point out any problems

Thank you Draynar for basically doing almost everything

e: disregard, apply at your leisure

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 15, 2014

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

Taear posted:

Welp, I just realized I was randomly playing on a DE-RP realm ...
I was only lvl 8 though, I'll just start over with another character to try something else out. I'll add your names in game and whisper you later!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

suction posted:

Dear Mr. Goons, I need advice on what class to play on release. Due to a disability, my key-spamming abilities are limited. Which classes in this game are the most forgiving in terms of DPS rotation, the most face-roll if you will? Preferably, a heavy cooldown based class. For example, WoW's Arms warrior, where I can macro/autohotkey 3 abilities (Mortal Strike, Overpower, Colossus Smash) into a single button to smash. So the less buttons to push regularly, the better. Also preferably not any classes with many held-down-buttons channeling abilities.
The game is built on action gameplay where you need to be able to act quickly to move out of patterns of attacks on the ground or get destroyed. Probably the only way you are going to get around this is Engineer, though you will have to watch threat to make sure the monsters and telegraphs stay over by your pets and not on your face. None of the channeling spells I've used required you to hold the key down, though there is a control option for that and some like it better than the usual "pressing again queues another of the same thing after the current one is done".

You'll definitely want to test it out this weekend while it's still free before you commit, though. If you bring a friend along to keep the damage focus you could go with some other class for going around questing, but regardless you won't want to be doing big dungeon bosses if you can't reliably maneuver around the damage zones.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Playing a Stalker and I find that the vast majority of claws I find have huge amounts of Support Damage on them which says it effects "Support and Utility" skills. Is there any way to clarify what this means? I feel like as a Stalker I want NOTHING but Assault Damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Doublestep posted:

Okay, the site is up

http://www.wildstargoons.com/

Please goonrush this site and point out any problems

Thank you Draynar for basically doing almost everything

e: disregard, apply at your leisure

I thought we didn't get Bad Rats? Was that all just a bad dream

• Locked thread